Crime
Killer jailed for life after ‘vicious and sustained’ attack on brother
West Wales family tell court: “We have lost two sons”
A 34-YEAR-OLD man has been jailed for life for murdering his own brother following what a judge described as a “vicious, sustained and seriously out-of-proportion” attack.
Darren Steel, of Swansea, was sentenced today (Friday, Feb 13) at Swansea Crown Court before His Honour Huw Rees, who told him he may never be released from prison.
The court heard the fatal assault followed a dispute linked to drugs, with Steel unleashing a prolonged and repeated attack on his brother.
Passing sentence, Judge Rees said the violence went far beyond any reasonable response.
“This was not a short burst of violence,” he said.
“It was vicious, sustained and seriously out of proportion. The anger you displayed that day — uncontrolled anger — arose from your belief that someone had stolen your drugs.”


Lies to police
The judge said Steel attempted to evade responsibility immediately after the killing, giving officers a false name when arrested.
He later repeated a series of lies in custody, including making what the judge described as a “patently false” allegation involving his former partner.
“I’m sorry to tell you that your performance earlier was out of self-pity, not out of remorse,” Judge Rees told him.
“You have shown no genuine insight into what you have done.”
“Pure evil”
Family members delivered emotional victim impact statements describing the devastating consequences of the killing.
One relative told the court: “I have lost both of my sons, either in death or in prison.”
Susanne, the victim’s aunt, said the family had been living through “a constant nightmare”.
“Throughout both trials, Darren has not shown one glimpse of remorse for what he did to his brother,” she said. “He is vacant. He is pure evil.”
Zoe Steel, the victim’s daughter, said her father’s death had robbed her of future milestones.
“I didn’t just lose my father that day — I lost the man who was meant to walk me down the aisle,” she said.
“Darren has created a massive hole in this family that will never mend. Not once did he even say sorry.
“Dad, the day you died, a part of me died with you.”
Additional offences
The court also sentenced Steel for two further assaults connected to the same incident.
He received three years’ imprisonment for inflicting grievous bodily harm on Julian Samuel and 12 months for assaulting Dawn, his former partner. Those sentences will run concurrently.
Life sentence
For murder, Steel was handed the mandatory life sentence and must serve a minimum of 20 years before he can apply for parole.
Judge Rees warned that release is not guaranteed.
“You may never be released,” he said.
Crime
Milford Haven man admits assault and harassment charges
A MILFORD HAVEN has admitted assaulting a family member and harassing another relative following incidents in the town last year.
Wayne Whatling, 39, of Howarth Close, Milford Haven, appeared before Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (May 21).
Whatling changed his pleas to guilty to one charge of assault by beating and one charge of harassment without violence.
The assault charge relates to an incident in Milford Haven on September 13, 2025, when Whatling assaulted Ben Whatling by beating him.
He also admitted pursuing a course of conduct amounting to harassment against Carol Whatling between September 1 and September 13, 2025.
The court heard the harassment allegation involved repeatedly asking Carol Whatling for money, with the complainant said to have feared repercussions if she did not provide it.
Magistrates adjourned the case for the preparation of a pre-sentence report.
Whatling was remanded on conditional bail and ordered not to contact Carol or Ben Whatling directly or indirectly.
He is due to be sentenced at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday (June 9).
Crime
Milford Haven man admits affray after alleged pub incident
A MILFORD HAVEN man has admitted affray following an incident at a town centre pub.
Stephen Collier, 38, of Vaynor Road, Milford Haven, appeared before Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (May 21).
Collier has pleaded guilty to affray, relating to an incident at Nos Da, Victoria Road, Milford Haven, on December 3, 2025.
The charge states that he used unlawful violence towards John Dean Hilton and that his conduct was such as would cause a person of reasonable firmness present at the scene to fear for their personal safety.
Collier also faces a separate charge of burglary dwelling with intent to inflict grievous bodily harm. It is alleged that, on the same date, he entered a flat at Nos Da as a trespasser and inflicted grievous bodily harm on Mr Hilton. He denies that charge.
The court also dealt with a breach of bail allegation after Collier was arrested on May 20 for allegedly breaching a curfew condition. He admitted the breach.
Magistrates re-admitted him to conditional bail.
His bail conditions include a daily electronically monitored curfew between 9:00pm and 6:00am, residence at his Vaynor Road address, and exclusions from Mount Estate, Milford Haven town centre, and Nos Da.
He must also not contact prosecution witnesses, including Molly Martin, Jack Martin, Lily Rose Martin and John Hilton.
Collier is due to appear at Swansea Crown Court on Friday, June 5, for sentence.
A spokesperson for Nos Da said the incident was connected with rooms upstairs at the Victoria Road premises, and did not take place in the bar itself, in the licensed area.
Crime
Carmarthen woman accused of Tenby hotel assault and criminal damage
A CARMARTHEN woman is due to appear at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court accused of assault and criminal damage at a Tenby hotel.
Kerry McReynolds, 35, of Trem Y Coleg, Carmarthen, is charged with assaulting Ryan Mayne by beating him in Tenby on May 9.
She is also accused of damaging potted plants worth £35 belonging to Tenby House Hotel on May 10.
McReynolds appeared before Llanelli Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (May 21) for a bail variation application.
She was remanded on conditional bail, with a condition not to enter Tenby House Hotel.
Her next hearing is listed for Tuesday (May 26) at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court.
-
News1 day agoWatchdog criticises health board over £10m GP contract checks
-
Crime4 days agoFarm owner in court after 26 dogs removed over welfare concerns
-
News3 days agoPaul Davies meets Openreach Cymru at the Senedd to discuss Full Fibre rollout
-
Crime4 days agoTree surgeon sentenced for failing to provide breath test
-
Crime4 days agoPembrokeshire teenager admits driving almost four times over drug-drive limit
-
News4 days agoMilford man admits handling stolen goods from three local properties
-
Crime6 days agoBuilder jailed for £82,000 fraud affecting 18 victims
-
Crime4 days agoPembroke Dock drink-driver arrested on Cleddau Bridge






