News
Audit Wales: Welsh Gov’t has improved Regional Integration Fund oversight
Report finds previous recommendations led to better management of public money, but warns more work is needed by health boards and councils
AUDIT WALES has said the Welsh Government has made clear improvements in the way it manages the Regional Integration Fund, but warned that health boards and local authorities still need to strengthen their oversight of how the money is spent.
A report published by the Auditor General for Wales found that positive action taken in response to earlier audit recommendations has helped improve the use of public money.
The Regional Integration Fund supports efforts to better join up health, social care and housing services across Wales.
Audit Wales said the fund helped 181,922 people live independently during 2024-25 by supporting the management of their health and care needs.
The latest report follows an earlier 2019 review of the Integrated Care Fund, which identified both positive impacts and weaknesses in the way the fund was managed. That earlier review made six recommendations to the Welsh Government, all of which were accepted.
Since then, the Welsh Government has replaced the Integrated Care Fund with the Health and Social Care Regional Integration Fund, introduced in April 2022. Capital elements of the previous scheme were replaced by a new Housing with Care Fund.
According to Audit Wales, five of the six original recommendations have now been fully implemented, with the sixth partially implemented.
The report says the Welsh Government has improved the speed of its decision-making, strengthened monitoring arrangements and helped Regional Partnership Boards share learning and good practice.
However, the report also found weaknesses in how health boards and local authorities oversee the work of Regional Partnership Boards and the way Regional Integration Fund money is used.
Between 2021-22 and 2026-27, Regional Partnership Boards will have had access to £1.45 billion in Welsh Government funding, including £731 million through the Regional Integration Fund.
As statutory members of those boards, health boards and local authorities are responsible for oversight of the activity and spending. Audit Wales said more needs to be done to ensure that responsibility is being carried out properly and in line with Welsh Government guidance.
Auditor General for Wales Adrian Crompton said he was encouraged that the Welsh Government had taken the findings of the 2019 report seriously and acted on the recommendations.
He said the follow-up report showed clear improvements in the management of public money by both the Welsh Government and Regional Partnership Boards.
Mr Crompton added that, as more funding is channelled through Regional Partnership Boards, it is important that the Welsh Government continues working with partner bodies to make sure public money is being overseen and spent wisely.
The report also includes further recommendations intended to help shape the future management of the fund.
Business
Plaid energy policy challenged by Labour after Adam Price interview
LABOUR SAYS MINISTERS MUST EXPLAIN COST AND TIMETABLE FOR PYLON PLANS
PLAID CYMRU’S approach to energy infrastructure has come under scrutiny after Energy Minister Adam Price was challenged over plans to reduce the use of overhead pylons in Wales.
Mr Price defended the Welsh Government’s position during an appearance on BBC Radio Wales’ Sunday Supplement, arguing that communities must have greater confidence in how major grid projects are handled.
Plaid Cymru has pledged to give communities a stronger voice over energy developments and to look more closely at alternatives to overhead transmission lines, including underground cabling where possible.
The issue has become increasingly sensitive in rural parts of Wales, where proposed pylon routes linked to renewable energy schemes have raised concerns about landscape impact, tourism and local consultation.
However, Welsh Labour said the minister had failed to explain when any restriction on pylons would take effect, or who would pay the additional cost of placing cables underground.
A Welsh Labour spokesperson said: “Adam Price keeps saying how clear their manifesto was and yet he won’t say when they’re banning pylons. They won’t say who is paying for the extra cost of undergrounding cables.
“Without certainty, companies won’t invest. That’s thousands of clean, green energy jobs at risk. Plaid need more than a plan to have a plan.”
Labour said the Welsh Government must now set out how its policy would work in practice, including whether it amounts to an outright ban, what exemptions would apply, and how any extra costs would be funded.
The debate highlights the challenge facing ministers as Wales seeks to expand renewable energy generation while addressing public opposition to large-scale grid infrastructure.
Community
Pembroke Fair praised as well-organised community event
HORSES, STALLS AND FAMILY CROWDS RETURN TO MONKTON
FAMILIES, horse owners and visitors turned out in force for Pembroke Fair on Saturday (May 23), with many praising the event as one of the best organised in recent years.
Held at the Community Centre Field in Monkton, the annual fair brought together horse owners, traders and local families for a traditional day centred around horses, ponies, stalls and socialising.
Coloured cobs, heavy horses, ponies and horse-drawn traps attracted attention throughout the day, with many visitors gathering around the field to watch the animals being shown and led around the site.



A variety of stalls selling everything from clothing and ornaments to tack and second-hand goods helped create a lively market atmosphere, while food vendors kept visitors fed throughout the day.
Despite overcast conditions at times, the event remained busy, with many attendees staying for several hours to enjoy the traditional fair atmosphere.
Community members later took to social media to praise the smooth running of the event, with several publicly thanking organiser Charlie Price for his efforts in bringing the fair together.
Comments described the day as “well organised” and praised the welcoming atmosphere, with many saying it was encouraging to see a long-standing local tradition continuing to thrive.
The fair once again brought together members of the travelling community, local residents and horse enthusiasts from across west Wales.






A horse drive was also due to take place on Sunday (May 24), continuing the weekend’s celebrations.
Photo captions:
Traditional gathering: Horses, ponies, horse-drawn carts and market stalls drew crowds to Pembroke Fair in Monkton on Saturday (Pic: Herald).
News
Watchdog criticises health board over £10m GP contract checks
A HEALTH board has been criticised by Audit Wales after GP contracts worth more than £10m were awarded without sufficient due diligence checks.
Aneurin Bevan University Health Board allowed a GP partnership associated with eHarley Street Primary Care Solutions to take on eight GP contracts in south-east Wales, with a combined annual value of around £10.1m.
Audit Wales said the board should have carried out greater scrutiny before approving the arrangements, including checks on financial resilience, workforce plans, business risks and the partnership’s ability to manage several practices at once.
However, the watchdog found no evidence of fraud and noted the board was dealing with significant pressure in general practice, including vacant contracts and limited interest from other bidders.
The report said weaknesses in governance and scrutiny contributed to later disruption and uncertainty for patients and staff when problems emerged.
Concerns included financial and workforce pressures, unpaid invoices, and issues relating to tax and pension payments. Some contracts were later handed back, requiring the health board to step in to protect services.
Natasha Asghar MS, Welsh Conservative Shadow Cabinet Minister for Health and Social Care, said the findings were “deeply concerning”.
She said: “Patients and staff were left facing disruption and uncertainty because proper scrutiny was not carried out before these contracts were awarded.
“The Welsh Conservatives believe lessons must be learned to ensure robust checks are in place, protect frontline services and restore confidence in primary care across Wales.”
Aneurin Bevan University Health Board accepted the recommendations and said it had already strengthened its processes.
Audit Wales said the case highlighted the need for stronger checks before GP contracts are transferred, particularly when a single partnership is taking on multiple practices in a short period.
-
News2 days agoWatchdog criticises health board over £10m GP contract checks
-
Crime4 days agoFarm owner in court after 26 dogs removed over welfare concerns
-
News3 days agoPaul Davies meets Openreach Cymru at the Senedd to discuss Full Fibre rollout
-
Crime4 days agoTree surgeon sentenced for failing to provide breath test
-
Crime4 days agoPembrokeshire teenager admits driving almost four times over drug-drive limit
-
News4 days agoMilford man admits handling stolen goods from three local properties
-
Crime6 days agoBuilder jailed for £82,000 fraud affecting 18 victims
-
Crime4 days agoPembroke Dock drink-driver arrested on Cleddau Bridge






