Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Crime

Funeral assault case set for five-day trial

Published

on

AN ASSAULT case involving five Pembrokeshire residents is expected to last five days when it comes before Swansea Crown Court next year.

The case relates to an alleged incident outside the Castle Inn in Pembroke following a funeral gathering on July 6, 2024, where Tonicha Jones was allegedly assaulted and knocked unconscious.

Emma Birch and Chloe Birch have already admitted assault, while Samantha Birch, Daisy Bianchy and Sam James deny the allegations.

The three defendants who deny the allegations remain on bail ahead of a trial listed for February 8, 2027.

During the latest hearing, the court was told that an original four-day trial estimate was “no longer tenable” and that the case was now likely to last five days, partly because Mr James will be representing himself.

Two witnesses are expected to give evidence, including Dr Ahmed, who treated the complainant after she arrived at A&E by ambulance.

The court heard the complainant reported being thrown to the floor and having her hair pulled. Medical evidence is expected to refer to swelling to the mid-scalp area.

Mr James is expected to challenge how his alleged actions caused those injuries.

The court also heard there had been an issue over Samantha Birch’s representation, after her solicitor became unavailable because of another trial.

The case will return to Swansea Crown Court for trial next year.

 

Crime

Former Lostprophets singer’s killing ‘not justified’, jury told

Published

on

JURORS in the trial of two prisoners accused of murdering former Lostprophets singer Ian Watkins have been told that his horrific crimes “did not justify his killing in any way”.

Watkins, who was serving a 29-year sentence for child sex offences, was attacked in his cell at high-security HMP Wakefield on October 11 last year.

Leeds Crown Court heard that Rico Gedel, 25, stabbed Watkins three times with a makeshift knife before allegedly passing the weapon to fellow prisoner Samuel Dodsworth, 44.

Both men deny murder and possessing a knife in prison.

‘Done nothing to provoke attack’

Prosecutor Tom Storey KC told the jury on Monday that Watkins had “done nothing whatsoever” to provoke the attack in the period leading up to it.

He said: “However heinous his crimes were, that did not justify his killing in any way.”

The court has heard that Gedel hated being housed with sex offenders and had threatened to hurt “any number of paedophiles” if he was not transferred.

Gedel told the trial he chose Watkins largely because he was nearby, having been placed in the next cell the night before.

Alleged motive

Mr Storey said Gedel’s alleged words before the attack — “This is what paedophiles deserve” — were a clear indication of motive.

The prosecutor said Watkins had no defensive injuries and there was no sign of a struggle, meaning he was likely taken by surprise.

He told jurors that the repeated use of a makeshift knife showed an intention to kill or cause really serious harm.

The court heard Gedel was laughing after the stabbing and allegedly asked prison officers to “let me know when he dies”.

Knife allegation

Dodsworth denies supplying the weapon or helping with the attack.

Gedel claimed Dodsworth gave him the knife and later disposed of it, but Mr Storey told the jury Gedel had “every reason” to lie about him.

The prosecutor said CCTV appeared to show Gedel handing the weapon to Dodsworth after the attack, and suggested Dodsworth acted as if he knew what was happening.

Judge’s warning

Mr Justice Hilliard told jurors that Watkins had committed very serious offences, but “clearly should not have lost his life in prison while serving his sentence”.

He said they must not decide the case on sympathy, anger or disapproval, but on a “cool, calm, careful and impartial” assessment of the evidence.

Watkins was jailed in December 2013 after admitting a string of child sex offences, including the attempted rape of a fan’s baby.

The trial continues.

 

Continue Reading

Crime

Police launch knife amnesty across Dyfed-Powys area

Published

on

UNWANTED knives can be handed in at police stations across west Wales this week as part of a national campaign to tackle knife crime.

Dyfed-Powys Police is taking part in Sceptre, a national week of action running from Monday (May 18) to Sunday (May 24).

The campaign gives members of the public the chance to safely dispose of unwanted knives at police counters across Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire and Powys.

Amnesty bins will be available at police stations in Carmarthen, Aberystwyth, Cardigan, Haverfordwest, Brecon and Newtown.

The week of action is also running alongside Knife Crime Awareness Week, organised by the Ben Kinsella Trust, which works to educate young people about the dangers of knife crime.

Inspector Darren Crockford said: “This is a vital week of action that we, along with forces UK-wide, participate in biannually. However, our dedicated push against knife-related crime never diminishes.

“Seizing knives and making arrests is an important part of the policing approach, however there is also focus on stopping the sale and supply of knives solely intended to harm, along with the supply to young people.

“We also work hard to identify potential knife carriers and engage with people to understand why they may choose to carry a knife, then offer the appropriate support.”

Police said neighbourhood policing and prevention teams will also be carrying out engagement and prevention work during the week.

Inspector Crockford added: “Carrying a knife does not make anyone safer – a knife usually makes a situation much worse.

“Policing cannot tackle this problem alone, so we will be engaging with our partners to signpost to intervention and diversion work to reduce the threat and risks of knife crime.

“Reinforcing the dangers of carrying knives is a vital step in ultimately trying to prevent the devastating consequences that knife crime can have, not just for victims and their families but the entire community.”

Police are asking anyone with concerns about knife crime to contact Dyfed-Powys Police on 101, or 999 in an emergency or if a crime is in progress.

Information can also be passed anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111. Concerns about unsafe public spaces can be reported through the StreetSafe website.

Unused knives and blades can also be disposed of safely at recycling centres. Residents are advised to check their local council website for details.

 

Continue Reading

Crime

Haverfordwest garden tools stolen in Haven Road burglaries

Published

on

POLICE are appealing for witnesses after garden tools were stolen from outbuildings in Haverfordwest.

Dyfed-Powys Police said officers are investigating two burglaries at separate addresses in the Haven Road area, following reports made over the last week.

The first burglary is believed to have happened on Monday, May 4, when gardening tools worth around £40 and an electric renovator valued at about £70 were taken.

A second burglary is believed to have taken place sometime between Friday, May 8 and Sunday, May 10. A Bosch hedge trimmer worth around £190 was stolen.

Anyone who saw anything suspicious in Haven Road, or who has CCTV or Ring doorbell footage which may assist the investigation, is asked to contact Dyfed-Powys Police.

Police can be contacted online, by emailing [email protected], by direct message on social media, or by calling 101.

Quote reference: DP-20260510-142.

 

Continue Reading

Community1 hour ago

Paul Davies MS calls for review of parking charges in Ceredigion following concerns

SENEDD Member for Ceredigion Penfro, Paul Davies, has called on Ceredigion County Council to urgently review its policy on car...

Crime3 hours ago

Former Lostprophets singer’s killing ‘not justified’, jury told

JURORS in the trial of two prisoners accused of murdering former Lostprophets singer Ian Watkins have been told that his...

Health1 day ago

Occupational therapists urge Welsh Government to act before NHS crisis deepens

More than 300 professionals sign open letter calling for prevention-focused care and urgent reform OCCUPATIONAL therapists across Wales are urging...

Community2 days ago

Surfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach

CAMPAIGNERS took to the sea at Broad Haven today in a colourful protest demanding urgent action over sewage pollution in...

Health2 days ago

New NHS regional body raises questions over future hospital services in Pembrokeshire

Health bosses promise better joined-up care — but patients will want assurances over Withybush and travel distances PEMBROKESHIRE patients are...

Local Government3 days ago

Pembrokeshire County Council welcomes new chairman

CLLR DELME HARRIES has been elected chairman of Pembrokeshire County Council for the coming municipal year. Cllr Harries, who was...

News3 days ago

From Milford Mercury to County Hall for Pembrokeshire’s first female leader

Late councillor Mike Stoddart helped hold power to account for decades — now his daughter Tessa Hodgson leads the council...

Business3 days ago

Port reports record turnover, but debt, emissions and senior pay also rise

Annual report shows strong growth and major investment, but underlying figures reveal a more complex picture THE PORT OF MILFORD...

Community3 days ago

DARC radar: Campaigners ask Welsh Government to call in planning application

PARC AGAINST DARC has submitted an official request asking the new Welsh Government to call in the planning application for...

News5 days ago

State Opening overshadowed by Starmer leadership crisis

KING CHARLES has arrived at Parliament for the State Opening as Sir Keir Starmer faces the most serious crisis of...

Popular This Week