Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Croeso Awards applications rise by a third

Published

on

TOURISM BUSINESSES SHOW GROWING CONFIDENCE AHEAD OF 2026 CEREMONY

VISIT PEMBROKESHIRE has reported a sharp rise in applications for its 2026 Croeso Awards, in what organisers say reflects growing confidence across the county’s tourism and hospitality sector.

The annual awards, which celebrate excellence in Pembrokeshire’s visitor economy, will return to the Atrium at Pembrokeshire College on Thursday, October 29.

Organisers say applications have risen by around a third compared with the 2024 awards, following efforts to encourage wider participation from businesses across the county.

This year’s scheme was opened to all tourism businesses in Pembrokeshire, not just members of Visit Pembrokeshire, with no application fee and free tickets for finalists.

The Croeso Awards are also linked to an eight-month mentoring programme run in partnership with The Celtic Collection and Pembrokeshire College, aimed at giving students practical experience and industry guidance as they prepare for careers in tourism and hospitality.

Emma Thornton, chief executive of Visit Pembrokeshire, said: “The increase in entries this year is hugely encouraging and demonstrates the passion, resilience and innovation that exists across our tourism industry. We wish all applicants the very best of luck.”

She added that while many familiar businesses continue to support the awards, organisers are keen to highlight the wider range of tourism operators helping to create memorable visitor experiences across Pembrokeshire.

With applications now closed, independent judges from outside Pembrokeshire will assess entries across 17 categories before finalists are announced on July 1.

The awards ceremony will take place later this year, recognising businesses that continue to help drive one of Pembrokeshire’s most important industries.

 

News

Milford man admits handling stolen goods from three local properties

Published

on

A MILFORD man has been sentenced for handling benches and a bike frame stolen from three separate properties in Haverfordwest.

This week Haverfordwest magistrates were told that during the night of July 16, 2025, a white van, driven by 29-year-old Simon Rees, was spotted close to where a number of burglaries had previously taken place in Haverfordwest.

 “A bike frame and two benches had been taken from the properties, and while there was no evidence linking the defendant to the burglaries, each of those stolen items were discovered inside his van,” Crown Prosecutor Linda Baker told the court.

A total of 8.3 grams of herbal cannabis was also discovered inside the van and inside Rees’ flat at Observatory Avenue, Hakin.

“Initially he said the garden benches had been given to him, but they were later identified by their owners as the ones stolen from their properties,” concluded Linda Baker.

Meanwhile the owner of the bike frame, Scott Phillips, said the incident has had a serious impact on his partner and teenage daughter.

“The situation has caused them to  be very upset,” he said in a victim impact statement read out to the court.

“People came into our garden which is a private place, and this made me angry and cross.  I’ve worked for years to get these items, but then someone just takes them away.”

Rees pleaded guilty to three charges of handling stolen goods and one charge of  possessing a controlled Class B drug, namely herbal cannabis. 

“This was a particularly difficult time in his life, after losing some close family members, losing his job, splitting up from his partner and losing contact with his children,” said his solicitor, Tom Lloyd.

“But he’s now doing very well.”

Rees was sentenced to a six month community order during which he must carry out a 60-day alcohol monitoring programme, five rehabilitation activity requirement days.  He was ordered to pay a £114 court surcharge and £85 costs and a destruction order was imposed for the herbal cannabis.

 

Continue Reading

Crime

Cocaine courier caught with £15,000 haul in Pembroke Dock

Published

on

Defendant transported high-purity drugs from Cardiff to Pembrokeshire for £210

A PEMBROKESHIRE man caught transporting more than £15,000 of high-purity cocaine through Pembroke Dock town centre has been jailed for three years.

Police received intelligence on April 4 that a vehicle was expected to be bringing drugs into Pembrokeshire.

Just after 3:30pm, officers spotted the vehicle travelling west on the A477. It was later stopped in Dimond Street, Pembroke Dock, where Zamurd Hussain, aged 43, was found to be the sole occupant.

Inside the vehicle, officers discovered a clear plastic bag containing 123 grams of cocaine.

Sian Cutter KC, prosecuting, told Swansea Crown Court on Wednesday that Hussain had travelled to Cardiff earlier that morning and stayed for just one hour before returning west.

“He told the officers he had gone to collect the drugs in order to make some money,” she said.

The court heard Hussain was paid £210.15 to act as a courier, transporting the cocaine from a Cardiff dealer to Pembroke Dock.

Ms Cutter said the drugs, which had a street value of just over £15,000, were not for Hussain’s personal use and that his role was to move them on behalf of others.

When officers asked to see his mobile phone, Hussain shouted at a member of the public to take it from him. When police eventually seized the phone, he refused to provide the PIN.

Ms Cutter said Hussain had 17 previous convictions, including two drug-related offences for possession with intent to supply.

Hussain appeared before the court by video link from HMP Swansea, where he has been held on remand.

Defending, Hannah George KC said Hussain had suffered from a serious drug addiction for many years.

“He started smoking cannabis as a teenager and has had substance abuse issues for a considerable time,” she said.

“His use of cocaine worsened in 2020, which resulted in his previous conviction for possession with intent to supply.

“But since he has been on remand, he has used his time productively by completing numerous courses in relation to cannabis and drug misuse.”

Ms George said Hussain was eager to return to employment after serving his prison sentence and hoped to find work in the construction industry.

“He is supported by family members who will do all they can to help him remain on the right path once he is released,” she added.

Sentencing Hussain to three years in custody, Judge Huw Rees said: “It is startlingly obvious that drugs have been your downfall.”

The court heard that Hussain was a “drug addict” also made a forfeiture and destruction order for the cocaine found in Hussain’s vehicle and for his mobile phone.

However, he allowed Hussain to retrieve personal, non-contentious items from the phone, including photographs of his family.

 

Continue Reading

News

Two simple steps to help keep summer bugs away

Published

on

HOUSEHOLDERS in Wales are being urged to take action now to reduce the risk of wasp and mosquito problems later in the summer.

Experts at the British Pest Control Association (BPCA) say two simple spring checks could help prevent gardens, sheds and homes becoming a breeding ground for pests.

Residents are being advised to look under eaves, inside sheds and garages, and around sheltered spots in the garden for early wasp nests. At this time of year, nests are often small — around the size of a golf ball — and can be dealt with before they become established.

People are also being urged to empty water butts, watering cans, buckets and any containers where rainwater may have collected over winter. Cleaning them out can help remove overwintering mosquito eggs.

Niall Gallagher, Technical Manager at BPCA, said: “These two simple steps in spring can make a real difference in the summer.

“Deterring wasps and mosquitoes from settling down and breeding in your garden means you’re much less likely to have problems with them later in the summer.

“You can’t keep them out, but a few visitors are much less hassle than thousands of insects that have moved in for the season.”

Wasps play an important role as pollinators and natural pest controllers, feeding on aphids and other insects. Where a nest is in a low-traffic area, BPCA says it may be best to leave it alone.

However, nests left to develop through spring and summer can contain between 5,000 and 8,000 adult wasps by late August. If one wasp senses a threat, it can release a pheromone which alerts the rest of the nest and may trigger a mass stinging response.

Removing an early-stage nest will not stop a queen wasp from building elsewhere, but it can encourage her to choose a site away from sitting areas, homes and places where children play.

Mr Gallagher added: “At this time of year, bumblebees, bees, wasps and hornets are all likely to become active again after the winter.

“All of these insects build nests that can look very similar, but each requires different methods to deal with any issues — particularly as a quarter of all bee species are endangered, so it really is important to ensure correct identification if a nest is found somewhere it shouldn’t be.

“If there is any doubt at all, we highly recommend getting in touch with a BPCA member for advice.”

Mosquitoes lay eggs in still water, including ponds, ditches, marshes, water butts, buckets and watering cans. Emptying stagnant water and cleaning containers can reduce the number of mosquitoes emerging as temperatures rise.

Mr Gallagher said most native UK mosquitoes pose little risk beyond itchy or swollen bites, although some people may suffer an allergic reaction requiring medical attention.

He added that climate change could increase the risk of non-native mosquito species becoming established in the UK.

Eggs from the Egyptian mosquito were detected for the first time in the UK at Heathrow Airport in September 2023, while Asian tiger mosquito eggs were found at a service station on the M20 in Kent in August 2024.

Anyone experiencing problems with wasps, mosquitoes or other insects around their property can contact a BPCA member business for advice.

BPCA member businesses are endorsed through the Government’s TrustMark quality scheme and must carry appropriate insurance. Technicians are trained, qualified, assessed to the British Standard in pest management EN 16636, and follow BPCA Codes of Best Practice.

For more information, visit bpca.org.uk/find.

 

Continue Reading

Crime24 minutes ago

Cocaine courier caught with £15,000 haul in Pembroke Dock

Defendant transported high-purity drugs from Cardiff to Pembrokeshire for £210 A PEMBROKESHIRE man caught transporting more than £15,000 of high-purity...

News13 hours ago

Car bursts into flames near Redberth Croft as road closed after incident

Nobody injured after vehicle fire near A477 prompts emergency response A CAR was destroyed by fire near the entrance to...

News19 hours ago

Welsh Labour unveils new Senedd spokesperson team

Ken Skates says Labour group will hold Plaid Cymru government to account WELSH Labour’s interim leader Ken Skates MS has...

Cymraeg23 hours ago

Two new Milford Haven schools could be built and open by 2032

NEW SCHOOLS in Milford Haven won’t be built before 2030 at the earliest, and 2032 for a planned Welsh Medium...

Crime2 days ago

Stolen vehicle investigation after late-night crash in Waterston

A VEHICLE involved in a late-night single-vehicle crash in Waterston, Milford Haven, is believed to have been stolen, police have...

Community2 days ago

Paul Davies MS calls for review of parking charges in Ceredigion following concerns

SENEDD Member for Ceredigion Penfro, Paul Davies, has called on Ceredigion County Council to urgently review its policy on car...

Crime2 days ago

Former Lostprophets singer’s killing ‘not justified’, jury told

JURORS in the trial of two prisoners accused of murdering former Lostprophets singer Ian Watkins have been told that his...

Health3 days ago

Occupational therapists urge Welsh Government to act before NHS crisis deepens

More than 300 professionals sign open letter calling for prevention-focused care and urgent reform OCCUPATIONAL therapists across Wales are urging...

Community4 days ago

Surfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach

CAMPAIGNERS took to the sea at Broad Haven today in a colourful protest demanding urgent action over sewage pollution in...

Health4 days ago

New NHS regional body raises questions over future hospital services in Pembrokeshire

Health bosses promise better joined-up care — but patients will want assurances over Withybush and travel distances PEMBROKESHIRE patients are...

Popular This Week