Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Starmer freezes fuel duty rise amid Middle East tensions

Published

on

Prime Minister accused of ‘U-turn’ at heated PMQs as motorists spared planned 5p increase

PRIME MINISTER Sir Keir Starmer has announced that the planned 5p increase in fuel duty will be postponed until the end of the year, amid growing fears over rising fuel prices linked to tensions in the Middle East.

Speaking during Prime Minister’s Questions on Wednesday (May 20), Starmer said the government had decided to extend the long-running fuel duty freeze to protect households already struggling with rising living costs.

The decision means motorists across Wales, including rural communities in Pembrokeshire where car travel is often essential, will avoid an increase that had been expected to take effect later this year.

Fuel duty had originally been cut by 5p per litre in March 2022 under the Conservative government as a temporary measure during the cost-of-living crisis. The cut had been due to expire, with prices expected to rise between September and March 2027.

Starmer told MPs the freeze was being extended because of instability in global energy markets following escalating conflict in the Middle East.

“We stopped that and they voted against it,” Starmer said, referring to Conservative opposition, adding that families were “fed up” with bills constantly rising.

The announcement came as average petrol prices reached their highest level since the outbreak of conflict involving Iran earlier this week, with prices reported to have climbed to 158.52p per litre.

However, the move quickly sparked criticism from Conservative leader Kemi Badenoch, who accused the Prime Minister of performing a political “U-turn”.

Opening her questions at PMQs, Badenoch said: “Thank you for the U-turn, Prime Minister,” before pressing Labour on energy policy and its stance on North Sea oil and gas.

The exchange quickly turned to Labour’s decision to loosen some restrictions on Russian oil products refined in third countries, a move ministers say is necessary to stabilise fuel supplies and prevent further price shocks.

Badenoch challenged Starmer directly, asking: “Why is oil from Russia acceptable, but oil from Aberdeen is not?”

Starmer denied Labour was weakening sanctions on Moscow, insisting the changes formed part of a wider sanctions package and that “none of the existing sanctions are being lifted in any way”.

The Prime Minister said temporary licences had been introduced to help phase in tougher measures while protecting British consumers from supply disruption.

The heated Commons clash comes at a difficult time for Labour following major election setbacks in Wales, Scotland and England earlier this month. Labour lost control of the Senedd for the first time in 27 years, while almost 1,500 Labour councillors reportedly lost their seats across England.

Political pressure on Starmer has intensified in recent days following the resignation of former Health Secretary Wes Streeting, one of Labour’s most senior figures, amid growing unrest within the party.

For Welsh motorists — particularly in rural areas where public transport options remain limited — the fuel duty freeze is likely to be welcomed, at least in the short term, as household budgets continue to come under pressure.

 

Climate

Milford Haven Waterway projects could be fast-tracked under new rules

Published

on

Treasury plans would make it harder for major clean-energy and infrastructure projects to be delayed by legal challenges

THE MILFORD HAVEN Waterway could be one of the areas most affected by new UK Government plans to speed up the delivery of major energy and infrastructure projects.

Chancellor Rachel Reeves is expected to announce reforms giving Parliament greater power to approve nationally important clean-energy schemes, including new power stations, offshore wind farms and grid connections.

The Treasury says the move is designed to strengthen energy security, reduce bills and support economic growth.

But the proposals could also prove highly significant for Pembrokeshire, where the Haven Waterway is increasingly being promoted as a key hub for floating offshore wind, port infrastructure, grid upgrades, hydrogen, and other clean-energy projects.

Under the plans, Parliament would be able to designate key clean-energy schemes as being of “Critical National Importance”. That would reduce the scope for judicial review challenges, except on human rights grounds.

For other nationally significant infrastructure projects, including transport and water schemes, the government plans to introduce a fixed legal challenge window. Once that period has passed, developers would have greater certainty that projects could proceed.

The Treasury said the aim was to stop repeated legal challenges from delaying projects considered vital to the country.

A Treasury spokesperson said: “For too long, vital infrastructure delivery has been delayed by judicial reviews of projects the country needs.

“The Chancellor won’t stand for it any longer and is bringing forward bold changes to support delivery.”

The announcement will be watched closely in Pembrokeshire, where Milford Haven Waterway already plays a major role in the UK’s energy system.

The waterway is home to major port, fuel, gas and power infrastructure, and is central to plans for the next generation of low-carbon energy development in west Wales.

Supporters are likely to argue that faster decision-making could bring investment, jobs and supply-chain opportunities to Pembrokeshire.

However, the proposals may also raise concerns about local accountability, particularly if smaller energy projects are allowed to apply directly to the Planning Inspectorate rather than going through local councils.

That could leave communities feeling they have less influence over developments affecting their landscape, coastline and infrastructure.

The government says the new route would apply specifically to clean-energy projects, reflecting what it describes as the urgent need to move away from reliance on fossil fuels.

For Milford Haven Waterway, the reforms could mean major schemes connected to offshore wind, power generation, grid reinforcement and port-linked infrastructure move forward more quickly.

But they may also intensify debate over who gets the final say when national energy policy meets local communities.

 

Continue Reading

Charity

West Wales among most generous areas as charity donations fall across Wales

Published

on

Ceredigion Preseli ranked second in Wales for the share of household income donated to charity

PEOPLE in Wales donated an estimated £530 million to charity last year, down from £645 million in 2024, according to new research.

But the Charities Aid Foundation report also contains a striking west Wales finding, with Ceredigion Preseli ranked as the second most generous constituency in the country.

Residents in Ceredigion Preseli donated an average of 1.21 per cent of household income to charity, behind only Cardiff North, which topped the Welsh list at 1.32 per cent.

The constituency ranked ahead of Gower, Dwyfor Meirionnydd, Ynys Môn, Cardiff West, Monmouthshire and Caerfyrddin.

Across Wales, however, the wider picture shows a fall in charitable giving. CAF said 54 per cent of people in Wales donated to charity last year, down from 61 per cent in 2024.

The charity said household financial pressures were a major factor, with one in five people across the UK saying they do not donate because they cannot afford it.

CAF’s Local Giving Report looked at charitable giving, community engagement and local pride across every UK constituency.

It found that 35 per cent of people in Wales already engage in their local community, while 18 per cent would like more opportunities to get involved.

More than half of people in Wales, 56 per cent, said they had a sense of local pride. In Monmouthshire, that figure rose to 70 per cent.

The report suggests that people who feel more connected to their local communities are more likely to support charities and good causes.

Mark Greer, Managing Director of the Charities Aid Foundation, said: “Charities are at the core of our communities. Through their work up and down the country, they strengthen local areas and support those in need.

“When we are facing a sustained trend of declining donations, part of the solution to unlocking greater giving lies in understanding the power of place and community.

“It might seem obvious, but places matter to people. This report shows that when people are engaged in a local area, they tend to give more.”

Richard Williams, Chief Executive of Community Foundation Wales, said: “This report confirms again the generosity of people in Wales in backing the causes that are important to them.

“Wales has a strong history of giving and philanthropy. We see reminders of it all around us in how donors and philanthropists have shaped our communities, from the miners building community halls to the people today who support our most vulnerable people.

“At a time when community groups and charities are needed more than ever, this support continues to be critically important.”

 

Continue Reading

News

Croeso Awards applications rise by a third

Published

on

TOURISM BUSINESSES SHOW GROWING CONFIDENCE AHEAD OF 2026 CEREMONY

VISIT PEMBROKESHIRE has reported a sharp rise in applications for its 2026 Croeso Awards, in what organisers say reflects growing confidence across the county’s tourism and hospitality sector.

The annual awards, which celebrate excellence in Pembrokeshire’s visitor economy, will return to the Atrium at Pembrokeshire College on Thursday, October 29.

Organisers say applications have risen by around a third compared with the 2024 awards, following efforts to encourage wider participation from businesses across the county.

This year’s scheme was opened to all tourism businesses in Pembrokeshire, not just members of Visit Pembrokeshire, with no application fee and free tickets for finalists.

The Croeso Awards are also linked to an eight-month mentoring programme run in partnership with The Celtic Collection and Pembrokeshire College, aimed at giving students practical experience and industry guidance as they prepare for careers in tourism and hospitality.

Emma Thornton, chief executive of Visit Pembrokeshire, said: “The increase in entries this year is hugely encouraging and demonstrates the passion, resilience and innovation that exists across our tourism industry. We wish all applicants the very best of luck.”

She added that while many familiar businesses continue to support the awards, organisers are keen to highlight the wider range of tourism operators helping to create memorable visitor experiences across Pembrokeshire.

With applications now closed, independent judges from outside Pembrokeshire will assess entries across 17 categories before finalists are announced on July 1.

The awards ceremony will take place later this year, recognising businesses that continue to help drive one of Pembrokeshire’s most important industries.

 

Continue Reading

Crime45 minutes ago

Cocaine courier caught with £15,000 haul in Pembroke Dock

Defendant transported high-purity drugs from Cardiff to Pembrokeshire for £210 A PEMBROKESHIRE man caught transporting more than £15,000 of high-purity...

News14 hours ago

Car bursts into flames near Redberth Croft as road closed after incident

Nobody injured after vehicle fire near A477 prompts emergency response A CAR was destroyed by fire near the entrance to...

News20 hours ago

Welsh Labour unveils new Senedd spokesperson team

Ken Skates says Labour group will hold Plaid Cymru government to account WELSH Labour’s interim leader Ken Skates MS has...

Cymraeg24 hours ago

Two new Milford Haven schools could be built and open by 2032

NEW SCHOOLS in Milford Haven won’t be built before 2030 at the earliest, and 2032 for a planned Welsh Medium...

Crime2 days ago

Stolen vehicle investigation after late-night crash in Waterston

A VEHICLE involved in a late-night single-vehicle crash in Waterston, Milford Haven, is believed to have been stolen, police have...

Community2 days ago

Paul Davies MS calls for review of parking charges in Ceredigion following concerns

SENEDD Member for Ceredigion Penfro, Paul Davies, has called on Ceredigion County Council to urgently review its policy on car...

Crime2 days ago

Former Lostprophets singer’s killing ‘not justified’, jury told

JURORS in the trial of two prisoners accused of murdering former Lostprophets singer Ian Watkins have been told that his...

Health3 days ago

Occupational therapists urge Welsh Government to act before NHS crisis deepens

More than 300 professionals sign open letter calling for prevention-focused care and urgent reform OCCUPATIONAL therapists across Wales are urging...

Community4 days ago

Surfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach

CAMPAIGNERS took to the sea at Broad Haven today in a colourful protest demanding urgent action over sewage pollution in...

Health4 days ago

New NHS regional body raises questions over future hospital services in Pembrokeshire

Health bosses promise better joined-up care — but patients will want assurances over Withybush and travel distances PEMBROKESHIRE patients are...

Popular This Week