Climate
Henry Tufnell accused of backing ‘drill baby drill’ tactics
Environmental group says Pembrokeshire MP’s North Sea stance risks undermining climate policy
PEMBROKESHIRE MP Henry Tufnell has been accused by local environmental campaigners of backing “drill baby drill” tactics over future North Sea oil and gas production.
Pembrokeshire Friends of the Earth made the claim after Mr Tufnell wrote an article in The Sun in March criticising the UK Government’s position on new oil and gas drilling.
The group said it wrote to the Labour MP on April 3, challenging his comments and urging him to reconsider his position.
In its letter, the group argued that further North Sea drilling would do little to reduce energy bills or improve energy security, because UK oil and gas prices are linked to international markets.
A spokesperson for Pembrokeshire Friends of the Earth said Mr Tufnell’s approach was “supported by the likes of Reform UK and Donald Trump” but rejected by energy and climate experts.
The group said the UK Energy Research Centre had concluded that additional UK oil and gas production would have “negligible impact” on the cost of living, and that the priority should instead be reducing demand and investing in renewable energy.
It also pointed to Climate Change Committee analysis suggesting that job losses in fossil fuel industries would be outweighed by job creation in areas such as renewable energy, retrofitting and electric vehicles.
Pembrokeshire Friends of the Earth also criticised Mr Tufnell’s call for the removal of carbon taxes in manufacturing, saying it showed a lack of understanding of the urgency of climate change.
The group said Mr Tufnell had failed to reply to its letter, despite allegedly promising to do so during a face-to-face conversation in Narberth in April.
The spokesperson added: “The fact that the MP has refused to reply to our letter suggests that he either has more respect for a London tabloid newspaper than for his own constituents or is having difficulty justifying the viewpoints he presented in The Sun.”
MP says transition must protect jobs
In response, Mr Tufnell said he was “immensely grateful” for the work of Pembrokeshire Friends of the Earth and praised the group’s campaigning on environmental issues.
He said he was proud to have supported the group last month by attending its screening of the People’s Emergency Briefing film, which highlighted threats to nature and climate.
Mr Tufnell said Pembrokeshire was “uniquely placed” to lead the clean energy transition, citing floating offshore wind, hydrogen, carbon capture, sustainable aviation fuel and battery storage.
He added that the county was proud of its coastline, rivers and wildlife, and that the community was committed to protecting them.
However, he said the transition to clean energy had to be “a just one”.
Mr Tufnell said: “Pembrokeshire’s energy sector has powered the UK for decades, and still supplies 20% of the country’s energy demand.
“I am calling on the Government to protect our established energy industries by cutting carbon taxes. Failure to act puts jobs and livelihoods in industrial communities like ours at risk.
“Decarbonisation cannot come at the cost of deindustrialisation and greater deprivation in our county.”
He said households and businesses across the UK had felt the impact of conflicts in the Middle East and Ukraine, and argued that Britain must strengthen energy security by making full use of its own resources rather than relying on imports.
Mr Tufnell added: “Oil and gas will remain part of our energy mix for decades to come. It therefore makes sense to use our domestic resources.
“Doing so will not only strengthen our energy security, but support British industry — protecting jobs, boosting tax revenue, cutting our trade deficit and strengthening the economy.
“I will continue to work hard to ensure we have a just energy transition, protecting the jobs and skills base of today, while building the industries of tomorrow.”
Climate
Milford Haven Waterway projects could be fast-tracked under new rules
Treasury plans would make it harder for major clean-energy and infrastructure projects to be delayed by legal challenges
THE MILFORD HAVEN Waterway could be one of the areas most affected by new UK Government plans to speed up the delivery of major energy and infrastructure projects.
Chancellor Rachel Reeves is expected to announce reforms giving Parliament greater power to approve nationally important clean-energy schemes, including new power stations, offshore wind farms and grid connections.
The Treasury says the move is designed to strengthen energy security, reduce bills and support economic growth.
But the proposals could also prove highly significant for Pembrokeshire, where the Haven Waterway is increasingly being promoted as a key hub for floating offshore wind, port infrastructure, grid upgrades, hydrogen, and other clean-energy projects.
Under the plans, Parliament would be able to designate key clean-energy schemes as being of “Critical National Importance”. That would reduce the scope for judicial review challenges, except on human rights grounds.
For other nationally significant infrastructure projects, including transport and water schemes, the government plans to introduce a fixed legal challenge window. Once that period has passed, developers would have greater certainty that projects could proceed.
The Treasury said the aim was to stop repeated legal challenges from delaying projects considered vital to the country.
A Treasury spokesperson said: “For too long, vital infrastructure delivery has been delayed by judicial reviews of projects the country needs.
“The Chancellor won’t stand for it any longer and is bringing forward bold changes to support delivery.”
The announcement will be watched closely in Pembrokeshire, where Milford Haven Waterway already plays a major role in the UK’s energy system.
The waterway is home to major port, fuel, gas and power infrastructure, and is central to plans for the next generation of low-carbon energy development in west Wales.
Supporters are likely to argue that faster decision-making could bring investment, jobs and supply-chain opportunities to Pembrokeshire.
However, the proposals may also raise concerns about local accountability, particularly if smaller energy projects are allowed to apply directly to the Planning Inspectorate rather than going through local councils.
That could leave communities feeling they have less influence over developments affecting their landscape, coastline and infrastructure.
The government says the new route would apply specifically to clean-energy projects, reflecting what it describes as the urgent need to move away from reliance on fossil fuels.
For Milford Haven Waterway, the reforms could mean major schemes connected to offshore wind, power generation, grid reinforcement and port-linked infrastructure move forward more quickly.
But they may also intensify debate over who gets the final say when national energy policy meets local communities.
Climate
Free film screening to examine climate and nature risks
Public invited to Letterston event followed by local discussion
A FREE public screening of The People’s Emergency Briefing will take place at Letterston Memorial Hall on Friday, May 29, at 7:00pm.
Doors open at 6:30pm, and the event will be introduced by Dr Sarah Beynon of The Bug Farm.
The screening is being hosted by Transition Bro Gwaun, a North Pembrokeshire grassroots organisation which works to help communities move towards a more sustainable future.
The 50-minute film has been adapted from the National Emergency Briefing, held at Westminster Central Hall in November 2025, where more than 1,200 MPs, peers and leaders from business, culture, faith, sport and the media gathered to hear from experts on climate and nature risks.
Introduced by Chris Packham CBE, the briefing examined the implications of climate and nature breakdown for food security, public health, infrastructure, the economy and national security. It also set out evidence-based actions aimed at reducing those risks.
The People’s Emergency Briefing was launched nationwide in April and is now being screened in communities across the UK. Organisers say more than 300 showings have already taken place, with around 1,000 scheduled during the summer.
As well as the Letterston event, further screenings are planned for Solva and Cardigan in June.
Transition Bro Gwaun said the screening comes at a time when severe weather and higher rainfall are making communities in Pembrokeshire more vulnerable. November and December 2025 saw flooding affect several areas, with the Met Office confirming rainfall was more than 50% above average during the period.
The group also warned that dry periods can create other risks, including wildfires on heathland, which can damage important habitats and wildlife.
After the film, attendees will be invited to take part in a structured discussion about the issues raised and what they may mean locally.
Henry Tufnell MP, Pembrokeshire county councillors and town and community councillors from across the county have been invited to attend.
Tom Latter, trustee at Transition Bro Gwaun, said: “TBG welcomes the opportunity to host one of many Emergency Briefing events around the UK, addressing the climate and nature crisis.
“Co-ordinated restorative action is urgently needed, and understanding of the urgency for honest commitment to resilience planning from all branches of society.”
Tickets are free and refreshments will be provided. The event takes place at Letterston Memorial Hall, SA62 5RY.
Climate
Pembrokeshire council to hear anti-net zero petition
A PETITION call to Pembrokeshire councillors, which raises concerns at the “hefty funds” needed to support its commitment to net zero, will be heard at full council next week.
Last July, councillors agreed to set up a group to review its own decision to declare a climate emergency some seven years ago.
In May 2019, the council declared a climate emergency following a notice of motion by Cllr Joshua Beynon calling on the authority to back the global consensus that climate change poses a risk to the well-being of future generations.
He had urged county councillors to back a motion to take “bold, decisive action” to fight “truly, catastrophic” climate change, with the council to committing to becoming a zero-carbon local authority by 2030.
At the July 2025 meeting of Pembrokeshire County Council, a successful notice of motion by the late Cllr Mike Stoddart called for the establishment of a working group to review that decision.
That led to a recent petition, by Lynda Duffill of West Wales Climate Coalition, which attracted 725 signatures, calling on the council to reaffirm its Declaration of a Climate Emergency, and retain the ambition to deliver Net Zero Council operations by 2030.
That petition was considered at the October 2025 meeting of full council; members agreeing the working group be asked to ensure the petition is included as evidence in its consideration of the matters referred to it by the council resolution in July 2025.
That has now led to a further petition, concerned at a potential increase in council tax from a re-affirmation of a Declaration of a Climate Emergency.
The latest e-petition, on the council’s own website, created by Carolyn Ellis, read: “We call upon all elected members of Pembrokeshire County Council to support and to take seriously the working group tasked with the review of the ‘climate emergency’ called in 2019 (by the-then 21-year-old councillor Joshua Beynon) and to question the hefty funds needed to spend on ‘net zero’.
“We refer to the recent petition by the West Wales Climate Coalition which purports to speak for the residents and council tax-payers of Pembrokeshire.
“There is potentially a far higher number of residents who do not share this unsubstantiated view and who are extremely concerned about the potential for huge hikes in council tax, especially if this tax is linked in future to the carbon efficiency of homes and businesses.
“This was hinted at as a possible lever for encouraging ‘compliance’ with decarbonising homes in the ‘Better Homes, Better Wales, Better World’ report. Therefore, not only could we be faced with more taxes, but also inevitable deterioration in service provision by PCC.”
The current petition ran to March 26 and attracted 753 signatures; any petition of over 500 triggers a debate at full council, the petition due to be heard at the May 14 meeting.
-
News5 days agoPalestine pledge backed by 36 new Senedd Members
-
Community4 days agoSurfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach
-
Crime10 hours agoPembrokeshire teenager admits driving almost four times over drug-drive limit
-
Crime2 days agoBuilder jailed for £82,000 fraud affecting 18 victims
-
Crime8 hours agoTree surgeon sentenced for failing to provide breath test
-
Health4 days agoNew NHS regional body raises questions over future hospital services in Pembrokeshire
-
Crime4 days agoMan used vulnerable victim’s bank card at Milford Haven Tesco
-
Crime10 hours agoPembroke Dock drink-driver arrested on Cleddau Bridge








