Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Laura Anne Jones says ‘no more excuses’ after gender guidance published

Published

on

REFORM MS Laura Anne Jones has said public bodies must now act urgently after updated equality guidance was laid before Parliament.

The Sir Fynwy Torfaen MS welcomed the new draft Code of Practice from the Equality and Human Rights Commission, which follows last year’s Supreme Court ruling that “sex” in the Equality Act 2010 refers to biological sex.

The guidance, published on Wednesday (May 21), sets out how organisations should approach single-sex spaces, services and associations, including changing rooms, hospital wards, sports and domestic abuse services.

Ms Jones said women and girls had been “left in limbo” while public bodies waited for clarification.

She said: “For over a year, women and girls across Wales have been left in limbo while politicians, public bodies and organisations hid behind excuses instead of following the law and protecting women’s spaces, dignity, fairness in sport and safety.

“I have consistently stood in the Senedd and fought to maintain these basic rights for women and girls. I was mocked and jeered for it, but this guidance shows that common sense has now prevailed and biological fact cannot simply be ignored.

“I will now be pressing the Welsh Government and public bodies to adapt their policies and practices as a matter of urgency. There is now nowhere left to hide. There are no more excuses for not complying with the law.”

The draft code is now subject to a 40-day parliamentary scrutiny period before it can come into force.

Ms Jones added that women’s rights and single-sex protections “must never again be sacrificed on the altar of gender ideology”, and said Reform MSs would press for the guidance to be reflected in public policy across Wales.

 

News

Nation of Sanctuary to stay under new Welsh Government, confirms Deputy First Minister

Published

on

Andrew RT Davies attacks policy as ‘irresponsible’ while ministers insist Wales will continue supporting refugees and asylum seekers

THE Welsh Government has confirmed it will continue its controversial “Nation of Sanctuary” programme under the new administration, prompting criticism from Conservative Senedd Member Andrew RT Davies.

Unhappy with continuation of scheme: Andrew RT Davies MS

The issue became a major point of contention during the recent Senedd election campaign, with parties on the political right – most notably Reform UK – repeatedly attacking Wales’ approach to asylum and refugee support. Critics argued the policy risked placing additional strain on public services and acted as a “pull factor” for migration, while supporters said it reflected Welsh values of compassion and practical support.

In a written question to the Welsh Government, Mr Davies, who represents Pen-y-bont Bro Morgannwg, asked whether ministers intended to scrap the Nation of Sanctuary programme.

Responding on Thursday (May 21), Deputy First Minister and Cabinet Secretary for Social Justice and Equality Sioned Williams confirmed the policy would remain in place.

She said: “While Wales does not currently have the power to decide who seeks asylum here, we can treat those who arrive with decency, provide support and opportunities to contribute to their communities, and ensure they can rebuild their lives safely and with dignity.

“We are committed to protecting the Nation of Sanctuary vision and ensuring the principles underpinning this vision are embedded across government policy and practice.”

The Nation of Sanctuary plan was introduced by the Welsh Government to support refugees and asylum seekers living in Wales, helping provide access to healthcare, housing, education and community support.

Although politically controversial, much of the scheme in recent years has focused on supporting people fleeing the war in Ukraine through UK Government visa routes. Councils and support organisations across Wales have helped Ukrainian families with accommodation, school places, healthcare access and settling into communities.

However, the programme is not limited to Ukrainians and also applies more broadly to refugees and asylum seekers already placed in Wales under UK immigration arrangements.

Mr Davies criticised the decision to retain the policy, saying it was the wrong priority for the new administration.

He said: “This is completely irresponsible from Plaid Cymru separatists.

“The Nation of Sanctuary is a pull factor that encourages more people to come to Britain illegally.

“The separatists’ commitment to embed the policy across government will take resources away from public services and distract from their administration’s day-to-day functions.”

Supporters of the scheme argue that asylum and immigration policy itself remains controlled by Westminster, with the Welsh Government instead focusing on how people already living in Wales are supported while their cases are processed.

With immigration remaining a politically charged issue across the UK, the future of Wales’ Nation of Sanctuary programme looks set to remain a battleground in Senedd politics.

Welsh Conservative Senedd Leader Darren Millar MS said the flag remains an important symbol of solidarity with Ukraine and opposition to Russia’s illegal invasion.

Meanwhile, Welsh Conservative Senedd Leader Darren Millar MS said: “I support the flying of the Ukrainian flag outside our parliament.

“It’s a visible sign of the Senedd’s resolute opposition to Russia’s illegal invasion of Ukraine.

“Having visited Ukraine last year with one of Reform’s MSs I am surprised and disappointed by their position.”

 

Continue Reading

Community

Funding from wind farm helps expand community electric car scheme

Published

on

WELSH communities have benefited from more than £3.3m in renewable energy funding during 2025, according to a new report by RWE.

The company’s 2025 Community Fund report says its renewable energy projects invested £5.7m into community funds across the UK, including more than £3.3m in Wales.

Among the projects supported is the Dolen Teifi community electric car share scheme, which received help from the Brechfa Onshore Wind Farm Fund.

The scheme provides affordable shared access to electric vehicles for more than 400 registered users in a remote rural area, helping people reach education, healthcare and other essential services.

It also reduces transport costs and carbon emissions, while a team of volunteer drivers supports disabled and vulnerable residents.

RWE’s funding initially supported the salary of a part-time volunteer coordinator and helped provide a six-seater accessible electric vehicle.

The project has since secured lottery and government funding, allowing it to expand across West Wales with a fleet of more than 12 vehicles and hundreds of volunteer drivers.

In North Wales, a three-year funding package from RWE’s Clocaenog Onshore Wind Farm Fund has helped support the South Denbighshire Community Partnership, which works across the rural Ederynion area.

The partnership provides services including Meals on Wheels, community transport, prescription delivery, parent and toddler groups, and exercise classes.

Margaret, chief executive of SDCP, said: “We are delighted to be in receipt of funding from Clocaenog Wind Farm Fund.

“We know the positive impact that the services we are able to provide with it has on our service users and communities. Without this support, we wouldn’t be able to provide those services.”

Katy Woodington, of RWE, said: “Our community funds are all about putting local people in control, with a key feature being an independent community panel made up of local residents, who play a central role in shaping priorities and deciding how funding is allocated.

“With over £78.5m committed to community projects over the lifetime of our Welsh operating renewable generation portfolio, it will be really exciting to see what communities can achieve.

“RWE remains committed to putting communities at the centre of the energy transition, ensuring a brighter, more equitable future, one small project at a time.”

RWE says first-generation wind farms have invested more than £24.9m into Welsh communities neighbouring their sites.

Over their lifetime, wind farms operated by RWE Renewables are expected to invest more than £78.5m into Welsh communities.

 

Continue Reading

Community

Lydstep Haven swimming warning lifted after sewerage repairs

Published

on

BATHERS have been told they can return to the water at Lydstep Haven after warnings linked to a pollution incident were lifted.

Pembrokeshire County Council had advised people not to swim at the beach after an “abnormal situation” was declared earlier this month over concerns about bathing water quality.

Natural Resources Wales has now confirmed that the status has been lifted following repair works to a private sewerage system.

Water samples taken in the days after the repairs indicated that the bathing water was no longer being affected.

Signage warning people not to swim will now be removed by the council.

An NRW spokesperson said: “The ‘abnormal situation’ status at Lydstep Haven beach in Pembrokeshire has been lifted by Natural Resources Wales.

“The lifting of this status means that Pembrokeshire County Council is no longer advising people not to swim at Lydstep Haven.

“The private operator has carried out repair works to their sewerage system and results from several water samples taken indicate the bathing water is no longer being impacted.

“NRW is continuing its investigation into any possible regulatory breaches.”

 

Continue Reading

Local Government12 hours ago

Youngest mayor in century takes office in Haverfordwest

Randell Izaiah Thomas-Turner makes history as town’s first millennial mayor and first from a diverse background HAVERFORDWEST has welcomed a...

Community14 hours ago

Pembroke Fair set to return after last year’s success

STALL HOLDERS INVITED AS HORSE DRIVE PLANNED PEMBROKE Fair is set to return this weekend following the success of last...

Crime19 hours ago

Neyland man accused of running over traffic worker’s foot

Jury hears conflicting accounts over roadworks incident in Milford Haven A NEYLAND man has appeared before Swansea Crown Court accused...

Community19 hours ago

New pilot boat Llanion dedicated at emotional Milford Haven ceremony

Vessel dedicated at Mackerel Quay as Port marks major investment in safety and resilience MILFORD HAVEN’S new state-of-the-art pilot vessel...

Local Government23 hours ago

Police and GoSafe to target speeding in Newport and Dinas

RESIDENTS’ concerns over speeding and anti-social driving have prompted planned enforcement action in the Newport and Dinas areas. Dyfed-Powys Police...

Community2 days ago

Safety first as Milford Haven’s new pilot boat marks end of troubled chapter

Gary Solomon, who was aboard St Davids during the 2016 collision, helped shape new self-righting vessel Llanion from conception to...

Crime2 days ago

Cocaine courier caught with £15,000 haul in Pembroke Dock

Defendant transported high-purity drugs from Cardiff to Pembrokeshire for £210 A PEMBROKESHIRE man caught transporting more than £15,000 of high-purity...

News3 days ago

Car bursts into flames near Redberth Croft as road closed after incident

Nobody injured after vehicle fire near A477 prompts emergency response A CAR was destroyed by fire near the entrance to...

News3 days ago

Welsh Labour unveils new Senedd spokesperson team

Ken Skates says Labour group will hold Plaid Cymru government to account WELSH Labour’s interim leader Ken Skates MS has...

Cymraeg3 days ago

Two new Milford Haven schools could be built and open by 2032

NEW SCHOOLS in Milford Haven won’t be built before 2030 at the earliest, and 2032 for a planned Welsh Medium...

Popular This Week