Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Motive behind tragic suicide ‘remains unclear’, says Coroner

Published

on

Unit where Laura Hill had been treated

Unit where Laura Hill had been treated

THE REASON why 21-year-old Laura Hill took her own life ‘remains unclear’, the deputy coroner for Pembrokeshire has ruled. 

The body of Laura Hill, 21, from Neyland, was found by members of the public on 17 December, 2012.

At the inquest on Friday (Feb 20), Deputy Coroner Gareth Lewis said: “Miss Hill suspended herself from the branch of a tree in a wooden area near to Withybush Hospital, but the question of intent remains unclear”.

Tragic : Laura Hill

Tragic : Laura Hill

Earlier in 2012, Miss Hill, who was from Neyland, had suffered the loss of her baby son and she had struggled to come to terms with this.

She had been admitted to Withybush Hospital on December 11, after taking an overdose of prescription tablets and she was later transferred to Bro Cerwyn Hospital.

However, on the night of December 16, Laura absconded and she was found hanged the following morning by members of the public.

Among his findings, the deputy coroner highlighted evidence from a psychiatrist, Dr Shubulade Smith, who said that Miss Hill was suffering from Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder (EUPD).

Reading out the facts of the case, Gareth Lewis said: “On December 11, 2012, Miss Hill was admitted to Withybush General Hospital after taking a large overdose of prescription tablets.

“Miss Hill remained as an inpatient at the Hospital until December 15, at which point she was transferred to Bro Cerwyn Hospital.

“On arrival at the hospital it was felt that she would benefit from admission in view of her depression, substance misuse, unresolved bereavement issues and her recent suicide attempt.

“Dr Athithan described her as having a varied suicide risk and placed her on level two 15 observations. She was described as bright, jovial and interacted well with others.

“At 19:15, Miss Hill asked to leave the ward in order to source some heroin. Staff on the ward tried to dissuade Miss Hill from leaving but she was adamant that she wanted to leave and she discharged herself against medical advice.

“In the early of hours of December 16, 2012, police had cause to carry out a welfare check in relation to Miss Hill. Officers were concerned that Miss Hill presented a danger to herself and detained her under section 136 of the Mental Health Act.

“Miss Hill was readmitted to the ward at 02.29hrs on December 16. On arrival she was assessed by Dr Athithan as being emotional, in a distressed state, sobbing and tearful. He suggested that if she tried to leave the ward they should use their holding powers under the Mental Health Act.

“At 14:45 on December 16, Miss Hill walked out of the ward and left the grounds of the hospital. Miss Hill was followed by two members of staff who persuaded her to return to the ward.

“Shortly after taking her medication at 18:15, Miss Hill absconded from the ward again and could not be located. Police were alerted to this and an immediate search was undertaken.

“Miss Hill’s body was found by members of the public at approximately 07:55 on December 17, 2012. She was suspended from a branch of tree with a blue nylon rope around her neck. The cause of death from a post mortem examination was found to be hanging.

“My findings are as follows: The decision to allow Miss Hill to leave the ward on December 15 against medical advice was probably right even if undesirable in the circumstances.

“When Miss Hill was returned to the ward by police there was a significant breakdown in the exchange of information under the section 136 handing over process.

“There was a failure to report Miss Hill’s attempt to abscond at 14:45 on December 16 to Dr Athithan despite his recommendation that if Miss Hill tried to abscond, consideration needed to be given to the use of holding powers. There was a clear lack of appreciation amongst the staff on the ward as to the meaning of the word abscond and because Miss Hill came back to the ward this was not perceived to be an attempt to abscond.

“Miss Hill’s mental state should have been, but was not, reviewed when she returned to the ward after absconding.

“The staff failed to appreciate that level two 15 observations were clearly insufficient to prevent Miss Hill leaving the ward. Miss Hill was only seen to be leaving the ward by fellow patients.

“There needed to be a system to monitor access and egress from the ward. Dr Smith commented during his evidence: ‘You cannot just let people come and go as they please, there needs to be someone in control of the door’, if this was in place it would have been considerably more difficult  for Miss Hill to have absconded from the ward.

“Staffing levels at the ward were such that it would have been difficult to put Miss Hill on level 3 even if this had been considered appropriate.

“There was a lack of joined up thinking between the members of the mental health teams working with Miss Hill. Dr Smith felt that the mental health teams never looked behind Miss Hill’s substance misuse. Dr Smith commented in his evidence that ‘undoubtedly, Miss Hill was suffering from Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder’.

“One of the main features of EUPD is a tendency to act impulsively without consideration of the consequences. In her evidence she stated that it was very difficult to say whether she intended to kill herself.

At the end of the inquest Mr Lewis added that he would be exercising his powers under regulation 28 to send the report to prevent future deaths to the Hywel Dda Health Board and Welsh Government’s Improving Patient Safety team. He highlighted that his letter would surround training needs, lack of policy regarding access and egress and staffing ratios.

 

1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. Geraldine duff

    July 28, 2024 at 2:13 am

    Are you looking for a way to get rid of shameful bedwetting problem, or your children pee on bed uncontrollably, stop wasting more time and contact Dr. Lababa on [email protected] or WhatsApp +2349073527621

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Community

Surfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach

Published

on

CAMPAIGNERS took to the sea at Broad Haven today in a colourful protest demanding urgent action over sewage pollution in Welsh waters.

Surfers, paddleboarders, swimmers and families gathered on the beach on Saturday, with banners calling for cleaner seas and an end to pollution incidents affecting rivers and coastal waters.

The protest was part of the Surfers Against Sewage campaign, with demonstrators carrying placards reading “Keep the sea clean”, “Stop the pollution” and “Cut the crap”.

Mid and South Pembrokeshire MP Henry Tufnell attended the demonstration and made a speech supporting calls for tougher action. He has also recently written to Welsh Water raising concerns about pollution and water quality in the Tenby area.

Henry Tufnell MP speaking at the protest (Pic: Martin Cavaney / Herald)

Local community councillor Jeff Tierney, who works on and in the water at Abereiddy, said he fully supported the campaign.

Cllr Tierney said: “As a surfer, local community councillor and someone who works on and in the water at Abereiddy, I fully support the Surfers Against Sewage campaign.

“We are lucky at Abereiddy our water is excellent, but it’s clear the water companies have failed to invest adequately in ageing infrastructure over the past decades, allowing unregulated sewage discharges, poorly maintained drains and outdated treatment systems to become the norm.

“The result is that some of the treatment works are completely overwhelmed with sewage now effectively bypassing the treatment process, resulting in some rivers and coastal areas at times becoming unsafe and hazardous for swimmers, surfers, fishermen and other water users.

Making a stand: Surfers, swimmers and campaigners gathered at Broad Haven beach to protest over sewage pollution in Welsh waters (Pic: Martin Cavaney / Herald)

“Clean water should not be viewed as a luxury. It’s essential for public health, tourism, local livelihoods and the environment.

“The more this issue is brought into the public domain to make the public aware and put pressure on Natural Resources Wales to do their job properly, the better.”

Campaigners said the issue is no longer just an environmental concern, but one affecting public health, tourism, local businesses and confidence in Wales’ coastal waters.

Broad Haven, like many Pembrokeshire beaches, is central to the county’s identity and visitor economy.

Saturday’s protest showed the strength of feeling among those who use the sea regularly and believe not enough is being done to protect it.

Making a stand: Surfers, swimmers and campaigners gathered at Broad Haven beach to protest over sewage pollution in Welsh waters (Pic: Martin Cavaney / Herald)

 

Continue Reading

Health

New NHS regional body raises questions over future hospital services in Pembrokeshire

Published

on

Health bosses promise better joined-up care — but patients will want assurances over Withybush and travel distances

PEMBROKESHIRE patients are likely to be asking what a major NHS shake-up means for the future of hospital services closer to home after a new regional health body formally took over planning across south west Wales.

Health chiefs this week confirmed that regional working has formally transferred from ARCH (A Regional Collaboration for Health) to the South West Wales Regional Joint Committee (RJC), bringing together Hywel Dda and Swansea Bay university health boards under a new leadership structure.

The move is being presented by NHS leaders as a way to improve coordination, reduce waiting times and strengthen specialist healthcare across the region.

Key programmes expected to continue under the new body include cancer care, stroke services, vascular treatment, orthopaedics, pathology and eye care.

But for many in Pembrokeshire, the announcement may trigger familiar concerns about whether “regional working” could eventually mean more services being delivered further east, requiring patients to travel longer distances to Carmarthen or Swansea.

Withybush Hospital remains fiercely valued by local communities, and previous changes to hospital services have often sparked strong public reaction.

For patients in more rural parts of Pembrokeshire — including St Davids, Fishguard, Newport, Crymych and Tenby — access to healthcare can already involve journeys of 40 to 60 miles or more for appointments and treatment.

While health officials insist the new structure is about improving care and making better use of expertise across the region, questions are likely to be asked locally over how Pembrokeshire’s voice will be represented in decisions affecting frontline services.

Among the issues patients may want clarified are whether services currently provided at Withybush could be affected, how travel difficulties for rural communities will be considered, and whether the new regional approach will improve care locally or lead to greater centralisation.

The Regional Joint Committee replaces ARCH, which since 2015 brought together Swansea Bay University Health Board, Hywel Dda University Health Board and Swansea University to support healthcare innovation and service planning.

Health leaders say the new committee will continue to support research, technology and partnership working, while involving patients and communities in shaping services.

But in here Pembrokeshire, many will this plan weaken Withybush, not strengthen it.

 

Continue Reading

Crime

Man used vulnerable victim’s bank card at Milford Haven Tesco

Published

on

A 41-YEAR-OLD man has been given a suspended prison sentence after using a vulnerable man’s bank card at Tesco Extra in Milford Haven.

Mark Anthony Hambrook, of Keeston, admitted fraud by false representation when he appeared before magistrates.

The court heard that Hambrook dishonestly used the card on April 29, 2025, spending £220.

Magistrates said the offence crossed the custody threshold because it involved a breach of trust, a vulnerable victim, and was committed while Hambrook was on post-sentence supervision.

He was sentenced to 16 weeks in prison, suspended for 12 months.

Hambrook was also ordered to pay £220 compensation, together with a £154 surcharge and £85 costs.

 

Continue Reading

Community9 hours ago

Surfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach

CAMPAIGNERS took to the sea at Broad Haven today in a colourful protest demanding urgent action over sewage pollution in...

Health22 hours ago

New NHS regional body raises questions over future hospital services in Pembrokeshire

Health bosses promise better joined-up care — but patients will want assurances over Withybush and travel distances PEMBROKESHIRE patients are...

Local Government2 days ago

Pembrokeshire County Council welcomes new chairman

CLLR DELME HARRIES has been elected chairman of Pembrokeshire County Council for the coming municipal year. Cllr Harries, who was...

News2 days ago

From Milford Mercury to County Hall for Pembrokeshire’s first female leader

Late councillor Mike Stoddart helped hold power to account for decades — now his daughter Tessa Hodgson leads the council...

Business2 days ago

Port reports record turnover, but debt, emissions and senior pay also rise

Annual report shows strong growth and major investment, but underlying figures reveal a more complex picture THE PORT OF MILFORD...

Community2 days ago

DARC radar: Campaigners ask Welsh Government to call in planning application

PARC AGAINST DARC has submitted an official request asking the new Welsh Government to call in the planning application for...

News4 days ago

State Opening overshadowed by Starmer leadership crisis

KING CHARLES has arrived at Parliament for the State Opening as Sir Keir Starmer faces the most serious crisis of...

News5 days ago

Rhun ap Iorwerth becomes Wales’ new First Minister

PLAID CYMRU TAKES POWER AFTER HISTORIC SENEDD VOTE PLAID CYMRU leader Rhun ap Iorwerth has become Wales’ new First Minister...

News5 days ago

Hotel was hit during a Luftwaffe bombing raid

THE COMMEMORATION, held on Tuesday (May 12), marked the anniversary of the wartime attack, with members of the community gathering...

News5 days ago

Starmer fights for survival as Labour civil war erupts

Cabinet split, ministers resign and MPs revolt as pressure mounts on Prime Minister after disastrous election losses KEIR STARMER is...

Popular This Week