News
Know your bailiff
BAILIFFS have recently been granted new powers. However, how many of us are aware of their rights when they hear that knock
on the door? Here’s a quick summary of the different types of bailiff and debt collectors you might encounter, what they are allowed to do, and who to contact for help and advice.
Certified Enforcement Agents are appointed by the Magistrates Courts (CHECK). Under the Tribunals, Courts and Enforcements Act of 2007, they have certain powers to enter properties and to seize goods. Certified Enforcement Agents are either officers of the Courts, or private contracted firms. They deal with debts relating to: Council Tax; High and County Court Judgements; Magistrates Court fines and Compensation Orders; parking penalties; child support; income tax; National Insurance; VAT, and business rent. If your debt is not from one of these, it’s probably not a Certified Enforcement Agent.
Enforcement Agents can only force their way into your house if they have applied to the court for a Paragraph 15 warrant of entry. This only applies in law with unpaid criminal court fines. They cannot remove goods in your absence unless you have signed a compliant regulation 15 controlled goods agreement with those goods listed on it.
Agents can enter your house through an unlocked door. They cannot force their way past you, or enter the house when only children or vulnerable people are present, or at night. They must only enter through a door. If you don’t let them in, they are entitled to seize property outside your house, for example a car.
If you do not owe money to any of the above, or have not received notice that the bailiff is visiting, you are probably dealing with a debt collector. Always ask to see identification. Debt collectors have none of the powers discussed above, and if they try to convince you that they are a bailiff, or have the right to enter your home, they are committing an offence.
The new regulations concerning bailiffs have led to some confusion and disagreements locally. The Herald understands that the police were called to the Mount Estate in Milford Haven last week, after reports of an altercation between a bailiff and a local resident.
According to witnesses, on Thursday (Feb 5) the bailiff entered through the patio doors of a property in the Birch Mead area of the Mount before the argument took place. A Police spokesperson confirmed that officers had visited the Estate following ‘a request for assistance.’ However, no injuries were reported, and no arrests were made.
If you need more detailed advice on bailiffs, contact the Citizens Advice Bureau on 0844 477 2020. They will contact you within 48 hours. Alternatively, check their website www.adviceguide. org.uk for details of local drop-in sessions. To complain about a Certified Enforcement Agent, download a form from www.gov. uk
Community
Surfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach
CAMPAIGNERS took to the sea at Broad Haven today in a colourful protest demanding urgent action over sewage pollution in Welsh waters.
Surfers, paddleboarders, swimmers and families gathered on the beach on Saturday, with banners calling for cleaner seas and an end to pollution incidents affecting rivers and coastal waters.
The protest was part of the Surfers Against Sewage campaign, with demonstrators carrying placards reading “Keep the sea clean”, “Stop the pollution” and “Cut the crap”.
Mid and South Pembrokeshire MP Henry Tufnell attended the demonstration and made a speech supporting calls for tougher action. He has also recently written to Welsh Water raising concerns about pollution and water quality in the Tenby area.

Local community councillor Jeff Tierney, who works on and in the water at Abereiddy, said he fully supported the campaign.
Cllr Tierney said: “As a surfer, local community councillor and someone who works on and in the water at Abereiddy, I fully support the Surfers Against Sewage campaign.
“We are lucky at Abereiddy our water is excellent, but it’s clear the water companies have failed to invest adequately in ageing infrastructure over the past decades, allowing unregulated sewage discharges, poorly maintained drains and outdated treatment systems to become the norm.
“The result is that some of the treatment works are completely overwhelmed with sewage now effectively bypassing the treatment process, resulting in some rivers and coastal areas at times becoming unsafe and hazardous for swimmers, surfers, fishermen and other water users.

“Clean water should not be viewed as a luxury. It’s essential for public health, tourism, local livelihoods and the environment.
“The more this issue is brought into the public domain to make the public aware and put pressure on Natural Resources Wales to do their job properly, the better.”
Campaigners said the issue is no longer just an environmental concern, but one affecting public health, tourism, local businesses and confidence in Wales’ coastal waters.
Broad Haven, like many Pembrokeshire beaches, is central to the county’s identity and visitor economy.
Saturday’s protest showed the strength of feeling among those who use the sea regularly and believe not enough is being done to protect it.

Health
New NHS regional body raises questions over future hospital services in Pembrokeshire
Health bosses promise better joined-up care — but patients will want assurances over Withybush and travel distances
PEMBROKESHIRE patients are likely to be asking what a major NHS shake-up means for the future of hospital services closer to home after a new regional health body formally took over planning across south west Wales.
Health chiefs this week confirmed that regional working has formally transferred from ARCH (A Regional Collaboration for Health) to the South West Wales Regional Joint Committee (RJC), bringing together Hywel Dda and Swansea Bay university health boards under a new leadership structure.
The move is being presented by NHS leaders as a way to improve coordination, reduce waiting times and strengthen specialist healthcare across the region.
Key programmes expected to continue under the new body include cancer care, stroke services, vascular treatment, orthopaedics, pathology and eye care.
But for many in Pembrokeshire, the announcement may trigger familiar concerns about whether “regional working” could eventually mean more services being delivered further east, requiring patients to travel longer distances to Carmarthen or Swansea.
Withybush Hospital remains fiercely valued by local communities, and previous changes to hospital services have often sparked strong public reaction.
For patients in more rural parts of Pembrokeshire — including St Davids, Fishguard, Newport, Crymych and Tenby — access to healthcare can already involve journeys of 40 to 60 miles or more for appointments and treatment.
While health officials insist the new structure is about improving care and making better use of expertise across the region, questions are likely to be asked locally over how Pembrokeshire’s voice will be represented in decisions affecting frontline services.
Among the issues patients may want clarified are whether services currently provided at Withybush could be affected, how travel difficulties for rural communities will be considered, and whether the new regional approach will improve care locally or lead to greater centralisation.
The Regional Joint Committee replaces ARCH, which since 2015 brought together Swansea Bay University Health Board, Hywel Dda University Health Board and Swansea University to support healthcare innovation and service planning.
Health leaders say the new committee will continue to support research, technology and partnership working, while involving patients and communities in shaping services.
But in here Pembrokeshire, many will this plan weaken Withybush, not strengthen it.
Crime
Man used vulnerable victim’s bank card at Milford Haven Tesco
A 41-YEAR-OLD man has been given a suspended prison sentence after using a vulnerable man’s bank card at Tesco Extra in Milford Haven.
Mark Anthony Hambrook, of Keeston, admitted fraud by false representation when he appeared before magistrates.
The court heard that Hambrook dishonestly used the card on April 29, 2025, spending £220.
Magistrates said the offence crossed the custody threshold because it involved a breach of trust, a vulnerable victim, and was committed while Hambrook was on post-sentence supervision.
He was sentenced to 16 weeks in prison, suspended for 12 months.
Hambrook was also ordered to pay £220 compensation, together with a £154 surcharge and £85 costs.
-
News1 day agoPalestine pledge backed by 36 new Senedd Members
-
Crime4 days agoTeenager banned from roads after being caught six times over drug-drive limit
-
Crime4 days agoMan threatens to torch Silverdale Lodge through ‘demon drink’, court hears
-
Crime4 days agoMan sentenced for stalking women and threatening to torch home
-
Crime4 days agoViolent man jailed after ‘Banksy’ claims and campaign of domestic abuse
-
Community6 days agoConcern grows after child hospitalised following Tenby sea swim
-
Local Government6 days agoCouncil leadership hopeful responds after anti-Tory rally photos surface
-
Crime4 days agoMan denies exposure in Pembrokeshire town







