Community
A fond farewell to Bernard Prettyman


Bernard Prettyman: “I’ll miss the contact with customers and the support from members of staff, but mostly the friends I’ve made over the years”
LAST week, the Torch Theatre said a fond farewell to their longest serving member of staff, Bernard Prettyman.
Bernard worked at the Torch Theatre for nearly 40 years and his retirement was celebrated by a special gathering of long time friends, family and work colleagues. A well-known and a highly loved character, Bernard is often referred by many as the “Face of the Torch,” by many of the returning actors, visiting companies and Pembrokeshire locals.
He started working at the Torch Theatre in 1977 as a barman and moved onto projection in 1980, where he took over the role of House Manager on January 3 1983. Bernard has worked in several departments in the theatre over the years including marketing, projection, front of house, bar and Box Office. In the early days, Bernard was a member of the Milford Haven Operatic Society and the Esso Drama Group. One year he made a guest appearance for the Tabernacle Players but later had to give up acting due to the shift work at the theatre.
His last show was ‘South Pacific’ at the Torch in the late 80s. Marketing Manager Jamie Rees gave a touching speech before presenting Bernard with several parting gifts, including a photographic book signed by staff and friends as well as a framed ‘Brief Encounter’ poster that was specially created by the Pembrokeshire National Coast for last year’s Torch Theatre Company Production of ‘Brief Encounter’. Artistic Director Peter Doran said: “Bernard has been the face of the Torch for over 38 years now. He’s run the bar, been FOH manager, projectionist and worked behind box office and I’m sure given half the chance he’d have been on stage as well. Bernard’s great skill was knowing our customers; he knew the majority by name and nine times out of ten knew their address’s as well – these days it’s called data capture, it used to be called ‘ask Bernard’.”
In true Bernard style, he catered for over 30 work colleagues and friends, many enjoying his delicious cakes that he’s become well known for baking over the years. Bernard said: “I’ll miss the contact with customers and the support from members of staff, but mostly the friends I’ve made over the years.” He hasn’t made any plans for the future but says he’s going to take it easy for a while, enjoy being with his great nephew and niece and his beloved dog, Jasper.
Community
Local firefighters to run search and rescue training exercise ‘High & Dry’

MID and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service (MAWWFRS) will be carrying out a realistic Search and Rescue training exercise on Monday (Apr 7), aimed at enhancing emergency response capabilities.
The exercise, named ‘High & Dry’, will take place between 6:30pm and 8:30pm at Crown Buildings, Church Street, Llanelli. The session will allow crews to practise specialist rescue techniques, including Rescue from Height using the Turntable Ladder.
To ensure a lifelike environment, synthetic smoke will be used during the training. Members of the public may notice smoke escaping from windows and doors, or see emergency vehicles and personnel at the scene. The fire service is reassuring residents that there is no cause for concern.
Watch Manager Gavin Wilkins said: “It’s vital to utilise real buildings as it provides a realistic environment and opportunity to prepare our crews to effectively deal with incidents of this nature. We would like to thank the owners of Crown Buildings in Llanelli for the use of the premises for this exercise.”
The service also thanked the public for their cooperation and understanding while crews undertake this important training.
Community
Parents urged to engage with Newgale Coastal Adaptation consultation

PARENTS and guardians across Pembrokeshire are being urged to take part in a statutory consultation on major infrastructure changes planned for Newgale.
The Newgale Coastal Adaptation Project: Phase 1 Proposals are currently out for public consultation from April 14 to May 11 2025, and the project team is especially keen to engage with families in the local school community to raise awareness of the long-term changes being proposed.
The Herald understands that AtkinsRéalis, the firm leading the project on behalf of Pembrokeshire County Council, has contacted schools across the area asking them to help distribute information to parents and carers.

The proposed works involve the construction of a new inland section of the A487, with a bridge over Brandy Brook, to replace the vulnerable coastal stretch of road currently running through Newgale. That section of road has suffered repeated flooding in recent years, and experts say it will become increasingly unsustainable due to sea-level rise and extreme weather linked to climate change.
Once the new inland road is in place, the existing coastal route would be permanently closed and removed.
In addition to the realignment of the A487, the plans include:
- The reclassification of Newgale Hill and Wood Hill, with adjustments to local traffic management;
- A short-term access road (in place for up to ten years) to serve beachfront commercial properties;
- Improved bus stop facilities and turning areas;
- The creation of a traffic-free Shared Use Path, which would replace a portion of the Wales Coast Path, helping to maintain pedestrian and cyclist access through the area.
The works are part of a wider strategy to manage coastal change in a sustainable way, while maintaining access and infrastructure for residents, visitors, and businesses.
Full details of the proposals, including maps, supporting documents, and environmental assessments, can be viewed online at: https://newgalecoastaladaptation.co.uk/#/Statutory_PAC
Those without internet access can view the documents at St Davids Library, City Hall, St Davids, SA62 6SD, during the following times:
- Tuesday: 10:00am – 1:00pm and 2:00pm – 5:00pm
- Thursday: 10:00am – 5:00pm
- Saturday: 10:00am – 12:00pm
Anyone wishing to make representations about the proposals must do so in writing before 11th May 2025, either by email to Newgale@atkinsrealis.com, or by post to:
Newgale Coastal Adaptation Project Team
AtkinsRéalis
Floor 4, West Glamorgan House
12 Orchard Street
Swansea
SA1 5AD
The Herald will continue to follow developments on this important project as they progress.
Community
Ludchurch petition for vital bus route to be established

A PETITION call to establish a regular bus service from the Pembrokeshire village of Ludchurch to Narberth was heard by county councillors last week.
The e-petition, on Pembrokeshire County council’s own website, by Ryan O’Shea of The Ludchurch Village Committee, asked: “We call on Pembrokeshire County Council to implement a minimum of one daily bus service connecting our village to Narberth. This essential service would significantly enhance the quality of life for our residents by providing much needed access to other destinations such as Tenby and Haverfordwest.
“Ludchurch is a small rural village and many of our residents face difficulties in accessing essential services, employment opportunities, and social activities due to the lack of public transportation. A subsidised daily bus service would not only alleviate these challenges but also contribute to the overall well-being and inclusivity of our community.
“We believe that by offering this service, the council would be supporting the mobility and independence of our residents, fostering greater community cohesion, and contributing to a more sustainable and connected Pembrokeshire.”
After meeting the threshold for consideration, the petition was heard at the March meeting of Pembrokeshire County Council’s Services Overview and Scrutiny Committee
Speaking at the meeting, Mr O’Shea said the village had no shop, post office, or access to a mobile library, and had not had access to a regular bus service for a number of years, asking for a reinstatement of a service, which he said would help social isolation as well as increased employment opportunities for residents and free younger residents “from a dependence on family and friends”.
He said the two-plus miles walk to the nearest bus services, at Summerhill and Princes Gate, on unlit routes without a pavement was “a significant safety concern,” with a Flecsi Bus service not available, and a once-a-week dial-a-bus scheme run from Narberth’s Bloomfield not addressing the community’s needs.
He suggested three ways of addressing the issue: By extending one of the nearby services to include Ludchurch, by enhancing the Narberth-based service, or by improving pedestrian access to the nearest services.
Members heard from Cabinet Member for Residents Services Cllr Rhys Sinnett the Flecsi service was viewed as the best way forward, constrained by funding and no previous offers to tender for the route; the option of re-routing other services adversely affecting timetables.
He reiterated council financial considerations: “As part of the budget for the forthcoming financial year we have had to take an £80,000 reduction in the bus service budget to make our costs and sums add up.
Committee member Cllr Rhys Jordan said he sympathised with Ludchurch, but said many of the county’s rural areas were disconnected from a service; fellow councillor, and committee chair, Cllr Mark Carter adding: “It’s certainly a desirable thing to have but there must be 30 or 40 villages that have the same.”
Local member – and former council leader – Cllr David Simpson said he had been a local county councillor for 20 years and supported the idea, but neither he nor the local community council had “had any approach for a bus service,” adding: “To get this on board in this day and age would cost a lot of money.”
Members resolved the petition be noted along with the Aspirational Bus Network for Pembrokeshire, which is being developed as part of bus franchising, including the expansion and enhancement of Fflecsi services to ensure all rural settlements, including Ludchurch, have access to a daily local bus service.
-
Community6 days ago
Final closures begin as long-awaited A40 bypass nears completion
-
Charity7 days ago
The Dizzy Bear to open soon at Milford Waterfront
-
News6 days ago
Crisis deepens at Parc Prison as six officers arrested
-
Crime6 days ago
Pembroke Dock man to be sentenced for assaulting police officers
-
Crime6 days ago
Man jailed for historic child sex offences in Milford Haven
-
Crime6 days ago
Milford Haven man faces court hearing for assault on three police officers
-
News6 days ago
Neyland councillor’s pub extension wrongly opposed by own council
-
News6 days ago
Three injured in two-car crash on B4313 near Trecwn