News
‘Incapable of changing’ paedophile jailed for two years
A PAEDOPHILE from Pembroke Dock “incapable of changing” has been jailed for twice breaking a Sexual Offences Prevention Order.
Barry William Hollingsworth, aged 72, told police he could not control his behaviour.
Hollingsworth, of Flat 4, Old Coronation School, Meyrick Street, was punished by the courts in 1984, 1989, 2004 and 2009 for indecent exposure, indecent assault on a girl aged under 14 and possessing indecent images of children.
Swansea crown court heard on Friday that on the last occasion Hollingsworth was made the subject of a SOPO, which banned him from going near children. Janet Gedrych, prosecuting, said on July 19, Hollingsworth was seen following a group of schoolchildren at Heatherton Park, St Florence near Tenby. He seemed to pay particular attention to one young child and staff alerted the park manager, Andrew MacDonald.
Hollingsworth returned to the park a week later and Mr MacDonald called the police. He was arrested for breaching the SOPO and told officers: “I know I’m not supposed to be here but I am.”
Miss Gedrych said police decided to keep Hollingsworth under surveillance and followed him as he took a train to Penally. From there he walked to a nearby beach and placed a towel close to where a girl of about six years of age was playing. Officers secretly filmed him as he appeared to rub his groin area. Police became so concerned they broke off the surveillance and arrested him.
Hollingsworth told them he could not live by the conditions of the SOPO. He said he received sexual gratification by looking at the girl and fantasising about her. He admitted both breaches.His barrister, Paul Hobson, said he had not actually touched any of the children.
Judge Keith Thomas said Hollingsworth had been through “the entire court system” and had completed various prison sentences and courses and counselling sessions.
“He finds it impossible to overcome his sexual urges but nothing deters him.
“He is incapable of changing and he represents a high risk of causing harm to children.
“It is frightening and disturbing and these matters cause great concern,” added the judge.Hollingsworth was reminded that he was still under the SOPO and would be on the child sex offences register for life.
Hollingsworth was jailed for two years.
News
New Welsh Government urged to end ‘injustice’ of term-time only pay
SCHOOL support staff in Wales are being pushed into poverty by “unfair” term-time only contracts, UNISON Cymru has warned.
The union is calling on the new Welsh Government to scrap the practice and establish a new body to negotiate pay for school support workers.
The call will be made at the TUC Cymru Congress in Llandudno today, Tuesday (May 19), where UNISON Cymru regional secretary Jess Turner will move a motion on the issue.
She will say: “Thousands of school support staff, mainly women, are trapped in poverty because of the unfairness of term-time only pay.
“Teaching assistants, cleaners, catering staff and admin workers support children and keep schools running, but many struggle to pay bills and have to take on second jobs just to survive.
“One in six school support staff in Wales has used a food bank. Many earn less across the year than they would on a full-time minimum wage job because they’re only paid when schools are open.
“This is a real opportunity for Wales to do things differently and reward people fairly. Ministers need to set up a body that can negotiate pay for school staff and end the injustice of term-time only pay.”
UNISON says evidence gathered from school support staff across Wales shows widespread financial hardship linked to term-time only contracts.
The union will also host a fringe event at the congress on Wednesday (May 20), calling for action on term-time only pay and further investment in public services.
News
Rhun ap Iorwerth to chair first meeting of new Welsh Government Cabinet
New First Minister says government will focus on waiting lists, jobs, education and child poverty
FIRST MINISTER Rhun ap Iorwerth will chair the first meeting of his new Welsh Government Cabinet today, setting out what he says will be an agenda based on action, openness and results.
The meeting marks the formal start of the new government’s programme, with ministers expected to focus on improving public services, supporting families and growing the Welsh economy.
Ahead of the meeting, Mr ap Iorwerth said his Cabinet would work as “one team” and avoid what he described as unnecessary duplication across government.
The First Minister said: “This is a government of action, a government for all, and a government of new ideas. The hard work has now started.
“Our focus is on the issues that matter most to people in every part of Wales – cutting waiting lists, supporting families with the cost of living, creating good jobs, raising standards in education and tackling child poverty.
“As First Minister, I am determined to end siloed working and unnecessary duplication across government. This Cabinet will work as one team, with ministers focused on delivering together in the interests of the people of Wales.
“We will lead with openness and purpose, building trust through practical action and visible outcomes.
“The people of Wales expect a government that listens, that stands up boldly for Wales, and that works together to get things done. That is exactly what this Cabinet is determined to deliver.”
The first Cabinet meeting will be closely watched as the new administration begins to turn election promises into policy, with pressure already mounting over NHS waiting times, household costs and the state of public services across Wales.
Local Government
Road resurfacing works welcomed after repeated pothole complaints
Castle ward councillor thanks residents for patience as long-running issue near St Thomas’ Green finally addressed
ROAD resurfacing works at St Thomas’ Green in Haverfordwest have been welcomed by local county councillor Thomas Tudor, who says a long-standing pothole problem near a bus shelter is finally being resolved.
Cllr Tudor, who represents the Castle Ward, said he was pleased to see progress being made on the improvements, particularly in an area that had required repeated repairs over time.
The works, being carried out by Pembrokeshire County Council and contractors, include resurfacing along part of the road close to the bus shelter near St Thomas’ Green.
Cllr Tudor said the pothole had been reported and repaired on numerous occasions before more permanent resurfacing work was approved.
He said: “As County Councillor for the Castle Ward, which includes St Thomas’ Green, I am pleased to see works progressing very well with the road resurfacing, in particular the area by the bus shelter which had a pothole which I have been reporting and having repaired numerous times.
“Many thanks to Pembrokeshire County Council and the various contractors involved and I would also like to apologise to the residents and thank them for their patience and understanding during these essential works.”
The resurfacing has caused some disruption to local traffic while work is underway, with temporary traffic management measures in place.
Residents have been thanked for their patience as crews complete the improvements, which are aimed at providing a safer and smoother road surface for motorists and pedestrians.
Photo caption:
Improvements underway: Cllr Thomas Tudor pictured at St Thomas’ Green as resurfacing works progress (Pic supplied)
-
News3 days agoPalestine pledge backed by 36 new Senedd Members
-
Crime5 days agoTeenager banned from roads after being caught six times over drug-drive limit
-
Community2 days agoSurfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach
-
Crime5 days agoMan threatens to torch Silverdale Lodge through ‘demon drink’, court hears
-
Crime5 days agoMan sentenced for stalking women and threatening to torch home
-
Crime5 days agoViolent man jailed after ‘Banksy’ claims and campaign of domestic abuse
-
Local Government7 days agoCouncil leadership hopeful responds after anti-Tory rally photos surface
-
Crime5 days agoMan denies exposure in Pembrokeshire town






