News
Reporting and detecting rape offences
DYFED POWYS POLICE has welcomed the report from the HMIC on the numbers of reported and detected rape offences in the force area for the year up until March 2013.
The police say they encourage people to be confident to come forward and report rape to them, and they have robust processes in place to record, investigate and do their best to detect the crimes and bring offenders to justice.
It is pleasing to see that the statistics for the Force show that the number of reported rapes of adults fell in the last year from 63 to 53 offences. To ensure they put the victim first, they record each crime that is reported to them within 24 hours, whereas the national standard of recording the crime is within 72 hours. Out of those, 21% were detected, which is above the national average.
In relation to the statistics for the rape of children the number of offences recorded by the force equated with the national average. Out of those, 26% were detected, again in line with the national average.
Detective Superintendent Shane Williams said, “We know that we have low numbers of rapes of both adults and children in Dyfed Powys, but it is important to remember that each of those numbers represents a victim. This crime is unacceptable and we are fully committed to doing everything possible to detect each and every crime and bring offenders to justice.
“To ensure the highest standards of investigation, each allegation of rape reported is led by a Detective Inspector, supported by officers who are trained in sexual offences, and every line of enquiry is followed through to ensure that we have the very best evidence on which to base a prosecution.
“We know that most of the offences that take place in Dyfed Powys, the victim knows the offender; we have very few stranger rape offences. For those crimes that have not been detected it is important to recognise that in the vast majority of these cases an offender was identified, arrested and interviewed. Despite our best efforts there are times when the evidence does not meet the threshold for prosecution. This means that although an offender has been identified the crime will remain undetected.
“As well as fully investigating offences of rape, we also recognise the importance of raising awareness of what constitutes rape and sexual assault, how to report it and the support available. An example of this is our work with colleges and universities during fresher weeks.
“As part of our robust investigation process we investigate all offences, and we do not release offenders on bail without consulting with a senior investigating officer, who will undertake a thorough assessment of the case.
“We work closely with partner agencies, including the Sexual Advice Referral Centre (SARC) to ensure the very best support to our victims of rape, and we are currently working with experts from Barnardos to further develop and enhance our knowledge of the sexual exploitation of children.”
Dyfed-Powys Police and Crime Commissioner Christopher Salmon said: “I welcome this report produced by HMIC on behalf of the Rape Monitoring Group. It’s important that such scrutiny is applied to data related to rape.
“In Dyfed-Powys I’m eager that we have a true picture of crime and that it’s not hidden so I encourage victims to report rapes. Actions can then be taken by agencies including the police to help them and to bring the perpetrators to justice.
“To help in that process, we must demonstrate the effectiveness of the Criminal Justice response to rape where it is effective. Equally, we must show what’s being done to improve the system when it’s not being effective.
“During Monday’s Policing Performance Board I’ll be asking the Chief Constable questions about the Dyfed-Powys matters highlighted in the HMIC report.”
If you have been a victim of rape or sexual assault you can call us on 101 or contact the sexual assault referral unit on 01267 235 464 or visit www.newpathways.org.uk. To find out more about rape and sexual assault visit www.dyfed-powys.police.uk and click on advice and support/look after yourself.
Finance
Consumer credit rules to be modernised after 50 years
Consumers using credit cards, loans and overdrafts are set to receive clearer information about costs and key terms under major reforms to the Consumer Credit Act
THE UK GOVERNMENT has announced plans to modernise legislation first passed in 1974, saying the rules no longer reflect the way people use credit in the age of smartphones, online banking and digital finance.
The reforms will move many of the Act’s detailed requirements out of primary legislation and into the Financial Conduct Authority’s rulebook, allowing rules to be updated more quickly as technology and financial products change.
Ministers say the changes will mean people taking out credit cards, personal loans, overdrafts and other borrowing products receive clearer, better-timed information to help them understand costs, compare options and manage repayments.
The Treasury said robust consumer protections would remain in place, with the FCA retaining powers to fine firms that break the rules.
Economic Secretary to the Treasury and City Minister, Rachel Blake said: “People need to be able to make informed choices when applying for and using credit.
“The Consumer Credit Act was written for a different era – we are creating a flexible regime fit for the digital age.”
The reforms form part of the Financial Services Bill announced in the King’s Speech.
Debt charity StepChange welcomed the move, saying clearer information is vital for people struggling with repayments.
Peter Tutton, the charity’s director of policy, research and public affairs, said: “Our thirty years of experience providing free debt advice has shown us just how important clear and usable information about credit agreements is for consumers.
“What’s more, for those struggling with managing credit repayments, it is vital that consumers can make informed choices about products and know how to seek help when it is required.”
Chris Woolard CBE, who chaired The Woolard Review into the unsecured credit market, said modernising the Act was a key recommendation of his review and described the reforms as “welcome”.
UK Finance also backed the announcement, saying lenders needed a simpler and more flexible regime while maintaining strong consumer protection.
The Government has published a policy statement setting out its final approach to Consumer Credit Act reform, alongside its response to the first phase of consultation.
Health
Welsh charity calls for live-saving prostate cancer screening
PROSTATE CYMRU is calling for routine prostate cancer testing as the UK Government prepares to make a final decision on whether to introduce a national screening programme.
The Welsh charity says too many men are still being diagnosed late, despite prostate cancer affecting one in eight men, one in four Black men, and one in three men with a family history of the disease.
Last year, the National Screening Committee opened a public consultation after issuing a draft recommendation against screening all men. It also did not support a targeted screening programme for Black men or those with a family history, despite their higher risk.
A final decision is expected this month.
‘Early diagnosis is key’
Andy Thomas, chair of Prostate Cymru and a recently retired consultant urological surgeon, said early diagnosis remained crucial.
He said: “Early diagnosis is key. In Wales, the impact of prostate cancer is significant, affecting one in eight men, and one in three with a family history. Often, it doesn’t present with any symptoms, so it is essential that men get tested.
“Currently, you only get tested if you request it, or if you have a proactive GP that recommends it. But we constantly hear of men who have difficulties in getting a GP appointment, and in some cases even being refused a test.
“And what about the men who don’t think to ask for a test? We need a screening programme.”
Because of concerns about access through GP surgeries, Prostate Cymru has been running its own PSA testing events with support from commercial sponsors.
In 2025, 200 men who attended the charity’s events received a “red alert”, advising them to seek urgent medical advice. That represented almost 6% of all those tested.
Mr Thomas added: “We do what we can. But we are a charity and we simply cannot test everyone.
“The government needs to be more proactive in raising awareness among those most at risk and it needs to educate and advise GPs so that men aren’t refused tests or feel dissuaded.”
‘This can’t come down to luck’
Among those now calling for change is Cardiff man Kervin Julien, a Black Caribbean man who was told two days before Christmas that he had prostate cancer.
Kervin, a Radio Cardiff presenter and Justice for Cardiff Five campaigner, has since undergone surgery and is using his experience to raise awareness, particularly among Black men.
He said: “The government is lingering on a decision that could save lives. With one in eight men getting prostate cancer, we need screening. And with one in four Black men getting it, we definitely need screening.
“Many men make excuses for certain symptoms that they might be going through, and we don’t talk about these things. And lots of men don’t even have any symptoms but still have prostate cancer.
“A screening programme would mean it wouldn’t rely on men being proactive and having to ask for a test.”
Kervin said he now wanted to campaign for screening and create greater awareness among younger Black men.
He added: “What if I hadn’t gone to the doctor? What if I hadn’t had a PSA test?”
‘Without the test, I would not have known’
James Roberts, 59, from Abergele, was diagnosed with stage three prostate cancer after attending a Prostate Cymru PSA testing event in Colwyn Bay last summer.
He said he had previously approached his GP practice about a PSA test but felt dissuaded from having one.
James said: “I am stage three, so that means the cancer has spread outside the prostate but it hasn’t gone into my bones or the lymph nodes. It’s what they call advanced. Had they caught it earlier, I could have had surgery to remove it.
“Women routinely have smears and mammograms, so why are we getting left behind?
“Policy makers are arguing that it isn’t reliable, but this blood test takes five minutes and it’s a marker. It indicates whether you need further tests.
“Without Prostate Cymru and the PSA test, I wouldn’t have known anything about this and it would have ended up being stage four.”
‘It was just luck’
Swansea man Dean Hopkins, also 59, was first tested by his GP in 2017 and was advised to return in three years.
But when the Covid pandemic hit, Dean struggled to get an appointment and, with no obvious symptoms, let it slide.
He later spotted an advert for a Prostate Cymru testing event while watching football in Swansea. After attending, he received a red alert and was later diagnosed with stage three prostate cancer.
Dean has undergone radiotherapy and is now receiving hormone therapy and steroid medication. He will continue to be monitored for the rest of his life.
He said: “We need a national screening programme because it was just luck that I saw an advert for the Prostate Cymru event.
“This can’t just come down to luck or whether you have a GP that takes it seriously. We all need to be screened.
“If I’d been tested in 2020, this would have been caught earlier. I feel I missed out on six or seven years, in which time my cancer was growing.”
Prostate Cymru is continuing to run testing events this summer while urging men, particularly those at higher risk, to speak to their GP about a PSA test.
News
New Welsh Government urged to end ‘injustice’ of term-time only pay
SCHOOL support staff in Wales are being pushed into poverty by “unfair” term-time only contracts, UNISON Cymru has warned.
The union is calling on the new Welsh Government to scrap the practice and establish a new body to negotiate pay for school support workers.
The call will be made at the TUC Cymru Congress in Llandudno today, Tuesday (May 19), where UNISON Cymru regional secretary Jess Turner will move a motion on the issue.
She will say: “Thousands of school support staff, mainly women, are trapped in poverty because of the unfairness of term-time only pay.
“Teaching assistants, cleaners, catering staff and admin workers support children and keep schools running, but many struggle to pay bills and have to take on second jobs just to survive.
“One in six school support staff in Wales has used a food bank. Many earn less across the year than they would on a full-time minimum wage job because they’re only paid when schools are open.
“This is a real opportunity for Wales to do things differently and reward people fairly. Ministers need to set up a body that can negotiate pay for school staff and end the injustice of term-time only pay.”
UNISON says evidence gathered from school support staff across Wales shows widespread financial hardship linked to term-time only contracts.
The union will also host a fringe event at the congress on Wednesday (May 20), calling for action on term-time only pay and further investment in public services.
-
News3 days agoPalestine pledge backed by 36 new Senedd Members
-
Crime5 days agoTeenager banned from roads after being caught six times over drug-drive limit
-
Community2 days agoSurfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach
-
Crime5 days agoMan threatens to torch Silverdale Lodge through ‘demon drink’, court hears
-
Crime5 days agoMan sentenced for stalking women and threatening to torch home
-
Crime5 days agoViolent man jailed after ‘Banksy’ claims and campaign of domestic abuse
-
Local Government7 days agoCouncil leadership hopeful responds after anti-Tory rally photos surface
-
Crime5 days agoMan denies exposure in Pembrokeshire town








