News
Crabb backs veterans of Irish Troubles
VETERANS of the Northern Irish Troubles have been backed by Preseli MP Stephen Crabb during votes in the House of Commons.
In the absence of a functioning administration in Northern Ireland, Members of Parliament have been voting in an effort to keep Northern Ireland running.
Stephen Crabb co-sponsored an amendment put forward by Johnny Mercer MP which passed. The Secretary of State must now report on the options available to allow veterans of the Troubles to assist in a truth recovery process, for the benefit of bereaved families, without fear of prosecution.
Commenting following the vote, Stephen Crabb MP said: “This is a positive step towards ensuring the hounding of veterans is stopped. The proud, local veteran community, along with myself, have been deeply troubled by the ongoing pursuit of current and former British Soldiers for actions carried out while under orders on active service.
“I have made the point previously to Ministers that we risk a serious breach of trust with our Armed Forces by opening the door to such prosecutions. The pressures placed on a solder in conflict situations are enormous and it cannot be right that actions carried out in these circumstances are re-opened decades later by people with no understanding of what happened on the ground.“
Local Government
Youngest mayor in century takes office in Haverfordwest
Randell Izaiah Thomas-Turner makes history as town’s first millennial mayor and first from a diverse background
HAVERFORDWEST has welcomed a new mayor after Councillor Randell Izaiah Thomas-Turner officially took office, marking several historic firsts for the county town.
Councillor Thomas-Turner said he was “incredibly honoured” to become Mayor of Haverfordwest, describing the moment as bigger than one individual and a sign of the town’s changing future.
He is believed to be the youngest Mayor of Haverfordwest in the twenty-first century, the first millennial to hold the role, and the first mayor from a diverse background in the town’s history.
The mayoral ceremony was attended by more than 100 pupils from Fenton Primary School and Prendergast School, who performed during the event.
Speaking after the ceremony, Cllr Thomas-Turner said: “This moment is far bigger than one individual. It is a reflection of how far our community has come and the future we are building together — a future based on unity, opportunity, compassion and community spirit.”
He thanked residents, supporters and local organisations involved in the event, including catering company The Platter Box Co, and announced that his chosen charity for the year will be Snap Specialist Play.
A raffle held during the day raised £387 for the charity.
Giving back
Following the mayor-making ceremony and luncheon, the new mayor, Sheriff of Haverfordwest Cllr Dani Thomas-Turner, Deputy Mayor Adam Benson-Davies, Mayor’s Crier Gareth Jones and Town Clerk Vanessa Lewis-Camacho visited Withybush Hospital to donate leftover food from the event to NHS staff.
Cllr Thomas-Turner said the gesture was intended as a small thank-you to healthcare workers for their dedication to the people of Pembrokeshire.
“Our NHS staff are heroes within our community, and it was important to me that today’s celebrations also gave something back,” he said.
The new mayor pledged to serve residents with “dedication, humility and pride” during his year in office.
Caption:
New mayor: Cllr Randell Izaiah Thomas-Turner during his mayor-making ceremony in Haverfordwest (Pic: Supplied)
Community
Pembroke Fair set to return after last year’s success
STALL HOLDERS INVITED AS HORSE DRIVE PLANNED
PEMBROKE Fair is set to return this weekend following the success of last year’s event, which drew families, visitors, horses and stalls to Monkton.
The fair will take place on Saturday (May 23) at the Community Centre Field, Pembroke, SA71 4LS, with free entry and everyone welcome.
Last year’s gathering was praised locally for its community spirit, with Pembroke Street Pastors paying tribute to organiser Charlie Price and county councillor Aaron Carey describing it as “very well organised”.
The event brought together horse owners, stall holders and local families, despite poor weather at times.
This year, organisers are again inviting stall holders to take part. A horse drive is also planned from 12:00pm on Sunday (May 24).
Anyone interested in further information or hosting a stall is asked to contact Charlie Price.

Community
Local lettings policy helps sustain rural communities and Welsh language
NEW affordable housing developments in North Pembrokeshire are helping local people remain in their communities while supporting rural schools and the Welsh language.
Since 2022, West Wales Housing Association has completed new social housing schemes at Parc Brynach in Dinas Cross and Golwg y Llan in Eglwyswrw.
A further development, Parc Nantwen in Dinas Cross, is nearing completion, with new tenants expected to move in within weeks.
The homes have been welcomed locally in an area where affordability remains a significant challenge for many residents.
West Wales Housing Association introduced a local lettings policy giving priority to applicants with strong links to Eglwyswrw and Dinas Cross.
For the Parc Nantwen development, applicants from the Dinas, Newport and Bro Gwaun communities were prioritised.
The approach has meant a number of local people have been able to secure homes who may otherwise have lost out to applicants with weaker links to the area.
The policy is also seen as important in communities where the Welsh language remains strong. Eglwyswrw and Dinas are served by Welsh-medium primary education at Ysgol Eglwyswrw and Ysgol Bro Ingli in Newport.
The impact is already being felt. Following the completion of Parc Brynach, pupil numbers at Ysgol Bro Ingli rose from 86 to more than 100.
Newport and Dinas county councillor Huw Murphy praised West Wales Housing Association for working closely with Dinas Community Council on the lettings policy.

Cllr Murphy said: “The recent lettings policy developed by WWHA, following close liaison with Dinas Community Council, has worked well in enabling houses to be allocated to local people with strong links to their community, where in the past they may have lost out to applicants with more tenuous connections.
“The benefit of a robust local lettings policy has resulted in increased pupil numbers at Ysgol Bro Ingli, while also placing a strong emphasis on protecting the Welsh language, which is very much welcomed.
“I hope that any future affordable housing developments will mirror the recent lettings policy implemented in Dinas Cross and serve as a template elsewhere in Pembrokeshire.”
Supporters say the developments are helping young people and families stay in rural Pembrokeshire, supporting village schools and safeguarding the social and linguistic fabric of North Pembrokeshire’s communities at a time when many rural areas face an ageing population.
-
News6 days agoPalestine pledge backed by 36 new Senedd Members
-
Community5 days agoSurfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach
-
Crime1 day agoFarm owner in court after 26 dogs removed over welfare concerns
-
Crime1 day agoTree surgeon sentenced for failing to provide breath test
-
Crime2 days agoPembrokeshire teenager admits driving almost four times over drug-drive limit
-
News9 hours agoPaul Davies meets Openreach Cymru at the Senedd to discuss Full Fibre rollout
-
Crime3 days agoBuilder jailed for £82,000 fraud affecting 18 victims
-
News1 day agoMilford man admits handling stolen goods from three local properties







