Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

World famous DJ ‘Father Funk’ prepares for Pembrokeshire Debut!

Published

on

After 3 years of throwing the most debaucherous parties in Bristol, and running the most ridiculous stage at the incredible Shindig Weekender in Somerset, Father Funk’s Church of Love is ON TOUR!

After touring London, Bristol, Brighton and Cardiff, Father Funk’s Church of Love is landing in Milford Haven on the 29th November, it’s going to be biblical!

Head of the Church, Father Funks bass driven funk tracks and eclectic, tongue in cheek DJ sets are world renowned – landing him sets at the likes of Glastonbury Festival, Shambhala Music Festival, Boomtown Fair, Rainbow Serpent Festival and clubs all over the world.

Father Funk has gone on to establish himself as one of the key players in the worldwide Ghetto Funk, Breaks and Glitch scene, releasing music on the likes of Ghetto Funk, Adapted Records and Scour Records, remixing the likes of Dub Pistols and Fort Knox Five, and playing alongside Stickybuds, A.Skillz, Krafty Kuts, Deekline and The Funk Hunters to name a few.

His formula for dance floor destruction includes energetic DJ sets and productions crammed with big bass, big beats and the biggest, funkiest samples. 

Father Funk is a superhero. Big with the bass and big with the beats, he’s one of the Ghetto Funk scene’s sharpest talents.

Joining the Father himself will be Welsh talents OctoPi and Rogue One who’s recent releases have set dancefloors on fire across the country. 

Followed by Bear Twists all we know about him is  you’ll be twisting the night away to him eclectic selection of breaks, glitch and drum & bass  – expect lots of exclusives!

Not forgetting our Pembrokeshire home grown talent who will be flying the flag for Pembrokeshire at the event including: One_Z, Mystic, Infamous Len and hosted by Defects of the Dock.

It wouldn’t be the Church of Love without the Sleazy Sisters! These debaucherous deities are always the life of the party – here to repent your sins and dance all over your bass bins!

Early bird tickets have already sold out, however normal advance tickets are available.

The event will take place at The Astoria Nightclub, Milford Haven on Friday the 29th November from 10pm,  Tickets are available form www.skiddle.com

>> Facebook Event Page: https://tinyurl.com/y53t5hy9
>> Tickets: https://tinyurl.com/y6ymsw57

 

Crime

Former Lostprophets singer’s killing ‘not justified’, jury told

Published

on

JURORS in the trial of two prisoners accused of murdering former Lostprophets singer Ian Watkins have been told that his horrific crimes “did not justify his killing in any way”.

Watkins, who was serving a 29-year sentence for child sex offences, was attacked in his cell at high-security HMP Wakefield on October 11 last year.

Leeds Crown Court heard that Rico Gedel, 25, stabbed Watkins three times with a makeshift knife before allegedly passing the weapon to fellow prisoner Samuel Dodsworth, 44.

Both men deny murder and possessing a knife in prison.

‘Done nothing to provoke attack’

Prosecutor Tom Storey KC told the jury on Monday that Watkins had “done nothing whatsoever” to provoke the attack in the period leading up to it.

He said: “However heinous his crimes were, that did not justify his killing in any way.”

The court has heard that Gedel hated being housed with sex offenders and had threatened to hurt “any number of paedophiles” if he was not transferred.

Gedel told the trial he chose Watkins largely because he was nearby, having been placed in the next cell the night before.

Alleged motive

Mr Storey said Gedel’s alleged words before the attack — “This is what paedophiles deserve” — were a clear indication of motive.

The prosecutor said Watkins had no defensive injuries and there was no sign of a struggle, meaning he was likely taken by surprise.

He told jurors that the repeated use of a makeshift knife showed an intention to kill or cause really serious harm.

The court heard Gedel was laughing after the stabbing and allegedly asked prison officers to “let me know when he dies”.

Knife allegation

Dodsworth denies supplying the weapon or helping with the attack.

Gedel claimed Dodsworth gave him the knife and later disposed of it, but Mr Storey told the jury Gedel had “every reason” to lie about him.

The prosecutor said CCTV appeared to show Gedel handing the weapon to Dodsworth after the attack, and suggested Dodsworth acted as if he knew what was happening.

Judge’s warning

Mr Justice Hilliard told jurors that Watkins had committed very serious offences, but “clearly should not have lost his life in prison while serving his sentence”.

He said they must not decide the case on sympathy, anger or disapproval, but on a “cool, calm, careful and impartial” assessment of the evidence.

Watkins was jailed in December 2013 after admitting a string of child sex offences, including the attempted rape of a fan’s baby.

The trial continues.

 

Continue Reading

Community

New parents urged to claim Child Benefit sooner

Published

on

HMRC says thousands of families may be missing out by delaying claims

NEW parents across Wales are being urged to claim Child Benefit as soon as possible after new figures revealed that more than 30 per cent are missing out on payments during their baby’s first year.

HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) says thousands of families are delaying claims and losing out on financial support which could amount to more than £1,400 a year for a first child.

The warning comes as more than 140,000 babies were born between April and June last year, with HMRC encouraging parents who welcomed a child this spring to make a claim using the HMRC app or online through GOV.UK.

While 6.8 million families claimed Child Benefit in the year to August 2025, only 68.8 per cent did so before their baby’s first birthday.

Child Benefit is worth £27.05 a week, or £1,406.60 a year, for an eldest or only child. Families can also receive £17.90 a week, or £930.80 a year, for each additional child, with no limit on the number of children they can claim for.

HMRC said Child Benefit can be claimed 48 hours after a baby’s birth has been registered, but payments can only be backdated for up to three months from the date the claim is received.

Myrtle Lloyd, HMRC’s Chief Customer Officer said: “Spring is a wonderful time to welcome a baby and claiming Child Benefit as soon as possible means your family can benefit from much-needed financial support.

“It is quick and easy to claim Child Benefit via the HMRC app at a time that suits you.”

Parents making a new claim will need their child’s birth or adoption certificate, bank details, their National Insurance number and, if they have one, their partner’s National Insurance number.

For children born outside the UK, parents may also need the child’s original birth or adoption certificate and passport or travel document.

HMRC says payments are usually made automatically into a bank account every four weeks.

Claiming Child Benefit can also help protect a parent’s future State Pension entitlement through National Insurance credits, particularly for those who are not in paid employment or receiving credits through another route.

It also means a child will automatically receive their National Insurance number when they turn 16.

Parents or partners earning more than £60,000 a year may have to pay the High-Income Child Benefit Charge. However, HMRC says families can still claim Child Benefit and choose not to receive the payments, while still receiving National Insurance credits.

Families who previously opted out of Child Benefit payments can restart them through the HMRC app or online.

Photo caption: Helping hand: HMRC is urging new parents to claim Child Benefit as soon as possible after welcoming a baby (Pic: HMRC).

 

Continue Reading

Community

Views sought on new West Wales Learning Disability Strategy

Published

on

A CONSULTATION has been launched on a new regional strategy aimed at improving support for people with learning disabilities and neurodivergent people across West Wales.

The proposed West Wales Learning Disability Strategy 2026-2031 covers Pembrokeshire, Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion, and has been developed following two years of engagement with people with learning disabilities, neurodivergent people, families, carers, councils, health services and support organisations.

It would replace three separate but similar local strategies with one regional plan, supported by local action plans for each county.

The strategy has been reviewed by the Regional Improving Lives Partnership, which includes Pembrokeshire County Council, Carmarthenshire County Council, Ceredigion County Council, Hywel Dda University Health Board, Dream Team, Carmarthenshire People First, Pembrokeshire People First, the West Wales Regional Partnership, and projects funded through the Regional Integration Fund.

The plan is informed by the West Wales Population Needs Assessment and focuses on ten priority areas identified during engagement.

These include information, advice and assistance, social services, health services, education, children and young people, socialising and friendships, day opportunities, volunteering and work, housing, transport, advocacy, and support for carers.

Pembrokeshire County Council is now asking residents, service users, families, carers and organisations to give their views on the recommendations.

The consultation is open until Sunday (Jul 5).

People can take part online through the West Wales Regional Partnership Board website, on the West Wales Learning Disability Partnership page.

Anyone who would like a paper copy can contact [email protected] or call 01437 764551.

 

Continue Reading

Crime29 minutes ago

Former Lostprophets singer’s killing ‘not justified’, jury told

JURORS in the trial of two prisoners accused of murdering former Lostprophets singer Ian Watkins have been told that his...

Health24 hours ago

Occupational therapists urge Welsh Government to act before NHS crisis deepens

More than 300 professionals sign open letter calling for prevention-focused care and urgent reform OCCUPATIONAL therapists across Wales are urging...

Community2 days ago

Surfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach

CAMPAIGNERS took to the sea at Broad Haven today in a colourful protest demanding urgent action over sewage pollution in...

Health2 days ago

New NHS regional body raises questions over future hospital services in Pembrokeshire

Health bosses promise better joined-up care — but patients will want assurances over Withybush and travel distances PEMBROKESHIRE patients are...

Local Government3 days ago

Pembrokeshire County Council welcomes new chairman

CLLR DELME HARRIES has been elected chairman of Pembrokeshire County Council for the coming municipal year. Cllr Harries, who was...

News3 days ago

From Milford Mercury to County Hall for Pembrokeshire’s first female leader

Late councillor Mike Stoddart helped hold power to account for decades — now his daughter Tessa Hodgson leads the council...

Business3 days ago

Port reports record turnover, but debt, emissions and senior pay also rise

Annual report shows strong growth and major investment, but underlying figures reveal a more complex picture THE PORT OF MILFORD...

Community3 days ago

DARC radar: Campaigners ask Welsh Government to call in planning application

PARC AGAINST DARC has submitted an official request asking the new Welsh Government to call in the planning application for...

News5 days ago

State Opening overshadowed by Starmer leadership crisis

KING CHARLES has arrived at Parliament for the State Opening as Sir Keir Starmer faces the most serious crisis of...

News6 days ago

Rhun ap Iorwerth becomes Wales’ new First Minister

PLAID CYMRU TAKES POWER AFTER HISTORIC SENEDD VOTE PLAID CYMRU leader Rhun ap Iorwerth has become Wales’ new First Minister...

Popular This Week