News
Sageston: Sex offender who was chased from street by protestors jailed
A SEX offender who was removed from his home to get him away from a protest over his release, breached a court order designed to control his behaviour just days after being released from prison.
Jonathan Harris secretly installed WhatsApp and Snapchat messaging services on his phone in what a judge described as a “flagrant breach” of his sexual harm prevention order.
He did so after a small group of around 10 protesters, led by The Welsh Warriors, arrived in the street outside Harris’ home on Bartletts Well Road, Sageston, shouting “We’re here to get you out Jonathan”.
Swansea Crown Court heard this week that the 25-year-old also searching for material about young boys, had joined dating websites, and was visiting online chat rooms with names such as “teen chat” and “squirt”.
Sophie Hill, prosecuting, said in June last year Harris was sentenced to 27 months in prison for eight counts of causing a child under 16 to engage in sexual activity, and causing a child under 16 to watch a sexual act. The defendant was also made the subject of a sexual harm prevention order for 10 years.
The court heard Harris was released on licence from prison on August 7 this year and, as required by the order, registered his mobile phone with police. Days later he secretly installed the WhatsApp instant messaging app on the device.
Miss Hill said, on September 2, police visited Harris at his Pembrokeshire home as part of routine monitoring, and when they checked his phone they found the app, along with the browser version of the Snapchat messaging service.
Examination of his internet history showed he had joined dating websites including Match and Elite Singles, had used search terms such as “teen porn”, and had visited online chat rooms with names including “teen chat” and “squirt”.
Harris, of Bartletts Well Road, Sageston, Tenby, Pembrokeshire, had previously pleaded guilty to breaching a sexual harm prevention order when he appeared in the dock for sentencing.
James Hartson, for Harris, said it was accepted that while the defendant had correctly registered his phone with police he had not informed them about his use of WhatsApp.
The barrister said that following his arrest, his client had been recalled to prison to serve the remainder of the previously imposed sentence and was not due to be released until August 2021.
Judge Paul Thomas QC said Harris’ actions were not an “over-sight” on his part but a “flagrant breach” of the sexual harm prevention order.
The judge said while not the subject of charges, it was significant that Harris had been going online using search terms such as “teen porn” just days after being released from prison, and it was clear he had learned nothing from his incarceration.
Giving Harris a one-third discount for his guilty plea the judge sentenced him to four months in prison
Health
Pharmacy services review launched across west Wales
Residents asked to help shape future provision in Pembrokeshire, Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion
PEOPLE across Pembrokeshire, Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion are being asked to give their views on the future of community pharmacy services.
Hywel Dda University Health Board has launched a consultation on its updated draft Pharmaceutical Needs Assessment, which looks at current pharmacy provision, any gaps in services, and what may be needed in future.
Health boards in Wales have been required since October 2021 to publish a Pharmaceutical Needs Assessment. The document must be updated every five years and is used to help guide decisions about how pharmacy services are developed and improved.
The latest draft assessment has been prepared following engagement with community pharmacy contractors and members of the public earlier this year.
The health board is now inviting further feedback before a final version is published later in 2026.
The survey opened on Monday (May 18) and will close on Friday, July 17.
Residents can take part online, pick up a paper copy from their local pharmacy, or request a copy by emailing [email protected] or calling 0300 303 8322 and selecting option five.
Rhian Bond, Assistant Director of Primary Care for Hywel Dda University Health Board, said: “This is an important opportunity for people to share their experiences of community pharmacy services and tell us how they could be improved.
“Community pharmacies play a vital role in supporting people’s health and wellbeing. They are often the first point of contact for advice, treatment and support.
“By providing feedback you can help us ensure services are accessible, effective and meet the needs of communities now and in the future.”
The final Pharmaceutical Needs Assessment will be published later this year on the health board’s website, along with a summary of the feedback received.
Business
Halifax could disappear from high streets after 173 years
Only two Halifax branches remain in west Wales as banking giant considers major brand shake-up
HALIFAX could disappear from UK high streets after more than 170 years under plans being considered by Lloyds Banking Group.
The banking giant is understood to be looking at phasing out the Halifax name as part of a wider review of its brands, with Lloyds expected to become the main retail banking name in England and Wales.
If the plans go ahead, the move would mark the end of one of Britain’s best-known financial brands, which began life in 1852 as the Halifax Permanent Benefit Building Society.
No final decision has yet been announced, but reports suggest new Halifax account openings could be stopped later this year, with existing customers gradually moved across to Lloyds.
The Herald understands that branch banking in west Wales has already been significantly reduced, with only two Halifax-branded branches currently remaining in the region — in Llanelli and Swansea.
Customers in Pembrokeshire no longer have access to a Halifax branch, with banking services instead directed through Lloyds Bank branches, including Haverfordwest. Carmarthenshire customers are similarly directed to Lloyds Bank in Carmarthen.
The possible disappearance of Halifax comes amid continuing pressure on high street banking, with many branches already closing as more customers move to mobile and online banking.
Consumer groups have warned that the steady loss of bank branches risks leaving elderly customers, vulnerable people and small businesses without easy access to face-to-face banking.

For many towns across west Wales, the loss of familiar banking names has become part of a wider decline in high street services, alongside the closure of post offices, shops and public services.
Halifax became one of the country’s biggest mortgage lenders and was for decades associated with savings, home ownership and local branch banking. It later became part of HBOS before Lloyds took over the group during the financial crisis.
A final decision on the future of the Halifax brand is expected as Lloyds sets out its next strategic plans.
Community
Stix Noodle Bar in Haverfordwest rewards visitors who park and shop local
A POPULAR restaurant is taking on one of the town centre’s biggest frustrations with a new initiative designed to ease parking stress and encourage more visitors into the heart of the community.
Stix Noodle Bar has announced a new scheme offering customers money off their bill when they show proof of paid parking in the town.
Under the initiative, diners who present an active parking ticket or parking app booking will receive the equivalent cost of one hour’s parking deducted from their meal bill.
The business says the idea was created in response to ongoing concerns about local parking pressures, while also supporting neighbouring independent traders and encouraging more people to spend time in the town centre.
In a statement released alongside the launch, the restaurant said: “Tired of Haverfordwest’s parking stress? So are we. That’s why we’re doing something about it.”
The team behind the noodle bar is encouraging visitors to “park up, come in, eat well, then go explore some of the brilliant businesses right on our doorstep,” adding that “Haverfordwest is worth stopping for.”
The scheme has already received support from local representatives, including Reform Councillor, Scott Thorley, who praised the move as a practical way to support the town centre economy.
“This is an excellent idea,” he said. “Tackling parking stress while boosting local businesses and footfall in Haverfordwest — this is exactly the practical support our town centre needs.”
-
News3 days agoPalestine pledge backed by 36 new Senedd Members
-
Crime5 days agoTeenager banned from roads after being caught six times over drug-drive limit
-
Community2 days agoSurfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach
-
Crime5 days agoMan threatens to torch Silverdale Lodge through ‘demon drink’, court hears
-
Crime5 days agoMan sentenced for stalking women and threatening to torch home
-
Crime5 days agoViolent man jailed after ‘Banksy’ claims and campaign of domestic abuse
-
Crime5 days agoMan denies exposure in Pembrokeshire town
-
Crime5 days agoDrunk motorist arrested at Pembrokeshire petrol station






