Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Council release bus survey results

Published

on

EIGHT out of ten bus users surveyed say they are ‘very satisfied’ or ‘fairly satisfied’ with the reliability and punctuality of Pembrokeshire’s bus services, according to a recent consultation.

And while 64% of respondents are either ‘very satisfied’ or ‘fairly satisfied’ with the county’s bus services overall, 23% are ‘very dissatisfied’ or ‘fairly dissatisfied’.

The survey was carried out by Pembrokeshire County Council last autumn in order to identify how it was performing in relation to bus services and to obtain suggestions on how those services could be improved.

A total of 436 questionnaires were completed and returned.

The two areas that scored lowest were the frequency of bus services and the provision of information about transport services and timetables, with which 66 per cent of respondents were ‘very satisfied’ or ‘fairly satisfied’ with.

The Council’s Cabinet Member for Transportation and Major Events, Councillor Rob Lewis, said that while the feedback from the consultation was relatively positive, it was important to acknowledge that an emerging theme from a recent Well-being Assessment was the need for better public transport accessible to all.

“It should also be remembered that over the past five years local bus services had been operating against a background of funding reductions” he added.

A wide range of feedback and suggestions were received regarding what would help to improve bus services in Pembrokeshire.

The most common requests were: bus services on Sundays and evenings; more frequent buses and more bus shelters.

Councillor Lewis went on: “We understand these concerns but also have to recognise the limitations on available funding. The Council’s transport section is working hard to try and maintain current services and provision, despite on-going budget reductions.

He said the Authority had met with operators in order to identify which suggestions were feasible.

“As a result” he continued, “a total of 14 routes will be changed with the new timetables starting from the 1st April. Details of these changes can be found on the Council’s website.”

Both the County Timetable and the Coastal Bus Timetable booklets will be printed this year and will be available in April once the new timetables are in place.

In addition, the Welsh Government’s Bus Quality Standards are being implemented on all bus services in Wales from April 1.

They require operators to meet certain criteria, including a requirement for all drivers to wear a uniform, and information regarding the operator’s complaints procedure clearly displayed on the vehicle.

 

Community

Surfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach

Published

on

CAMPAIGNERS took to the sea at Broad Haven today in a colourful protest demanding urgent action over sewage pollution in Welsh waters.

Surfers, paddleboarders, swimmers and families gathered on the beach on Saturday, with banners calling for cleaner seas and an end to pollution incidents affecting rivers and coastal waters.

The protest was part of the Surfers Against Sewage campaign, with demonstrators carrying placards reading “Keep the sea clean”, “Stop the pollution” and “Cut the crap”.

Mid and South Pembrokeshire MP Henry Tufnell attended the demonstration and made a speech supporting calls for tougher action. He has also recently written to Welsh Water raising concerns about pollution and water quality in the Tenby area.

Henry Tufnell MP speaking at the protest (Pic: Martin Cavaney / Herald)

Local community councillor Jeff Tierney, who works on and in the water at Abereiddy, said he fully supported the campaign.

Cllr Tierney said: “As a surfer, local community councillor and someone who works on and in the water at Abereiddy, I fully support the Surfers Against Sewage campaign.

“We are lucky at Abereiddy our water is excellent, but it’s clear the water companies have failed to invest adequately in ageing infrastructure over the past decades, allowing unregulated sewage discharges, poorly maintained drains and outdated treatment systems to become the norm.

“The result is that some of the treatment works are completely overwhelmed with sewage now effectively bypassing the treatment process, resulting in some rivers and coastal areas at times becoming unsafe and hazardous for swimmers, surfers, fishermen and other water users.

Making a stand: Surfers, swimmers and campaigners gathered at Broad Haven beach to protest over sewage pollution in Welsh waters (Pic: Martin Cavaney / Herald)

“Clean water should not be viewed as a luxury. It’s essential for public health, tourism, local livelihoods and the environment.

“The more this issue is brought into the public domain to make the public aware and put pressure on Natural Resources Wales to do their job properly, the better.”

Campaigners said the issue is no longer just an environmental concern, but one affecting public health, tourism, local businesses and confidence in Wales’ coastal waters.

Broad Haven, like many Pembrokeshire beaches, is central to the county’s identity and visitor economy.

Saturday’s protest showed the strength of feeling among those who use the sea regularly and believe not enough is being done to protect it.

Making a stand: Surfers, swimmers and campaigners gathered at Broad Haven beach to protest over sewage pollution in Welsh waters (Pic: Martin Cavaney / Herald)

 

Continue Reading

Health

New NHS regional body raises questions over future hospital services in Pembrokeshire

Published

on

Health bosses promise better joined-up care — but patients will want assurances over Withybush and travel distances

PEMBROKESHIRE patients are likely to be asking what a major NHS shake-up means for the future of hospital services closer to home after a new regional health body formally took over planning across south west Wales.

Health chiefs this week confirmed that regional working has formally transferred from ARCH (A Regional Collaboration for Health) to the South West Wales Regional Joint Committee (RJC), bringing together Hywel Dda and Swansea Bay university health boards under a new leadership structure.

The move is being presented by NHS leaders as a way to improve coordination, reduce waiting times and strengthen specialist healthcare across the region.

Key programmes expected to continue under the new body include cancer care, stroke services, vascular treatment, orthopaedics, pathology and eye care.

But for many in Pembrokeshire, the announcement may trigger familiar concerns about whether “regional working” could eventually mean more services being delivered further east, requiring patients to travel longer distances to Carmarthen or Swansea.

Withybush Hospital remains fiercely valued by local communities, and previous changes to hospital services have often sparked strong public reaction.

For patients in more rural parts of Pembrokeshire — including St Davids, Fishguard, Newport, Crymych and Tenby — access to healthcare can already involve journeys of 40 to 60 miles or more for appointments and treatment.

While health officials insist the new structure is about improving care and making better use of expertise across the region, questions are likely to be asked locally over how Pembrokeshire’s voice will be represented in decisions affecting frontline services.

Among the issues patients may want clarified are whether services currently provided at Withybush could be affected, how travel difficulties for rural communities will be considered, and whether the new regional approach will improve care locally or lead to greater centralisation.

The Regional Joint Committee replaces ARCH, which since 2015 brought together Swansea Bay University Health Board, Hywel Dda University Health Board and Swansea University to support healthcare innovation and service planning.

Health leaders say the new committee will continue to support research, technology and partnership working, while involving patients and communities in shaping services.

But in here Pembrokeshire, many will this plan weaken Withybush, not strengthen it.

 

Continue Reading

Crime

Man used vulnerable victim’s bank card at Milford Haven Tesco

Published

on

A 41-YEAR-OLD man has been given a suspended prison sentence after using a vulnerable man’s bank card at Tesco Extra in Milford Haven.

Mark Anthony Hambrook, of Keeston, admitted fraud by false representation when he appeared before magistrates.

The court heard that Hambrook dishonestly used the card on April 29, 2025, spending £220.

Magistrates said the offence crossed the custody threshold because it involved a breach of trust, a vulnerable victim, and was committed while Hambrook was on post-sentence supervision.

He was sentenced to 16 weeks in prison, suspended for 12 months.

Hambrook was also ordered to pay £220 compensation, together with a £154 surcharge and £85 costs.

 

Continue Reading

Community13 hours ago

Surfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach

CAMPAIGNERS took to the sea at Broad Haven today in a colourful protest demanding urgent action over sewage pollution in...

Health1 day ago

New NHS regional body raises questions over future hospital services in Pembrokeshire

Health bosses promise better joined-up care — but patients will want assurances over Withybush and travel distances PEMBROKESHIRE patients are...

Local Government2 days ago

Pembrokeshire County Council welcomes new chairman

CLLR DELME HARRIES has been elected chairman of Pembrokeshire County Council for the coming municipal year. Cllr Harries, who was...

News2 days ago

From Milford Mercury to County Hall for Pembrokeshire’s first female leader

Late councillor Mike Stoddart helped hold power to account for decades — now his daughter Tessa Hodgson leads the council...

Business2 days ago

Port reports record turnover, but debt, emissions and senior pay also rise

Annual report shows strong growth and major investment, but underlying figures reveal a more complex picture THE PORT OF MILFORD...

Community2 days ago

DARC radar: Campaigners ask Welsh Government to call in planning application

PARC AGAINST DARC has submitted an official request asking the new Welsh Government to call in the planning application for...

News4 days ago

State Opening overshadowed by Starmer leadership crisis

KING CHARLES has arrived at Parliament for the State Opening as Sir Keir Starmer faces the most serious crisis of...

News5 days ago

Rhun ap Iorwerth becomes Wales’ new First Minister

PLAID CYMRU TAKES POWER AFTER HISTORIC SENEDD VOTE PLAID CYMRU leader Rhun ap Iorwerth has become Wales’ new First Minister...

News5 days ago

Hotel was hit during a Luftwaffe bombing raid

THE COMMEMORATION, held on Tuesday (May 12), marked the anniversary of the wartime attack, with members of the community gathering...

News5 days ago

Starmer fights for survival as Labour civil war erupts

Cabinet split, ministers resign and MPs revolt as pressure mounts on Prime Minister after disastrous election losses KEIR STARMER is...

Popular This Week