Crime
Jury due to retire in the case of Nathan John, accused of raping two 16-year-old girls

THE JURY will soon retire deliberate in the trial of 19-year-old Nathan John, a Milford Haven resident accused of raping two 16-year-old girls — one in Milford Haven and the other in Haverfordwest.
The charges stem from two separate incidents, the first occurring in October 2022 and the second in May 2024.
John, of Richard John Road, Milford Haven, faces a total of seven sexual charges, including two charges of rape. He denies all seven offences. He took the stand on Wednesday (Oct 16) to give his account of events under oath. Dressed in a white shirt and black tie, he described the night of the first attack, which allegedly took place on 2nd October 2022.
The defendant testified that he and the first complainant had a friendly relationship, exchanging messages and attending the same college. On the night in question, John said he encountered the complainant at Nos Da Bar on Victoria Road while out with friends. He admitted consuming several alcoholic drinks, including a pint of Coors, four apple sours, two apple cokes, and a Jägerbomb.
According to John, he and the complainant shared a kiss at the bar before parting ways. Later, at Circles Nightclub, John claimed the complainant approached him again, and he offered to walk her home. He told the court that they were “having a laugh” before engaging in what he insists was consensual sexual intercourse. John said that a disagreement arose afterward when the complainant suggested the encounter was non-consensual. He added that he felt guilty because he had been unfaithful to his then-partner and that the complainant initially promised to keep the incident secret before changing her mind, which he found confusing.
The court was shown video footage from police bodycams taken at the time of John’s arrest. In the footage, John is heard crying and saying, “I don’t know what I have done, I just got excited,” while experiencing what was described as a panic attack. He also stated, “You can’t arrest me because there was consent, this has happened before, I haven’t done anything…”
The prosecution, led by James Hartson of Angel Chambers, questioned John about the second alleged incident on 16th May 2024, in Haverfordwest. The court heard that this second complainant was also 16 years old at the time. John admitted to engaging in sexual intercourse with her on a platform halfway up a set of steps off Castle Square but maintained that the interaction was consensual. He described the two as flirting throughout the evening and claimed he called the complainant “beautiful” before they shared a kiss.
However, John said that when the complainant asked to stop midway through the encounter, he complied. He admitted that his remark, calling the complainant “a dirty girl,” may have offended her, but clarified that it was meant as “sex talk.” John told the court that at no point did he use force or violence, nor did the complainant shout for help.
Forensic evidence was presented to the court, including swabs taken from both complainants. The first complainant’s oral swabs revealed the presence of male DNA, indicating oral ejaculation, while no semen was detected on vaginal swabs. John’s DNA was also found on genital swabs. In the case of the second complainant, male DNA was detected on the internal vaginal swab, which the defence argued supported John’s claim of consensual intercourse.
During cross-examination, Hartson suggested that John became aggressive after consuming alcohol on both occasions. He also highlighted inconsistencies in John’s statements, particularly in his initial police interview, where John denied any sexual contact rather than claiming it was consensual. The prosecution accused John of “spinning a web of lies,” arguing that his behaviour was driven by alcohol-fuelled aggression.
The jury was reminded of key evidence, including the first complainant’s detailed memory of her jacket being thrown to the ground during the alleged attack—information which the prosecution argued was “very precise.”
The jury will shortly to consider its verdict, with the outcome of the case expected in the coming days.
(The image used in this article, is not a photograph, but an artists impression of the defendant in the dock – as cameras are not allowed in court)
Crime
Man avoids jail despite possessing child abuse images

A PEMBROKE DOCK man has been spared immediate custody after police found almost 70 indecent images of children on his mobile phone — including one image of a child aged around three whose hands and ankles were bound.
Andrew Davies, aged 36, was sentenced at Swansea Crown Court on Tuesday (Apr 1), having earlier pleaded guilty to three counts of possessing indecent photographs of children.
The court heard that officers from Dyfed-Powys Police executed a search warrant at Davies’ home on Brewery Street in November 2022. Davies was present at the property and handed over a mobile phone along with the PIN code to unlock it.
Upon examination of the device, officers discovered 67 illegal images. These included nine category A images — the most serious classification — 14 category B images, and 44 category C images. The images had been downloaded and stored in a password-protected application.
Prosecuting, Sian Cutter said one of the images showed a child estimated to be three years old with their limbs restrained. She told the court that all of the material was accessible on the device and had been intentionally downloaded.
In mitigation, defence barrister Ryan Bowen said Davies was “under no illusion as to the seriousness of his offending”. He said the offences dated back to 2019, and that the matter had been hanging over Davies for several years.
Mr Bowen added: “He has no previous convictions and is of otherwise good character. He accepts responsibility for his actions and has shown insight and a willingness to address his behaviour. There is a realistic prospect of rehabilitation.”
Sentencing, Her Honour Judge Catherine Richards told Davies: “The possession and viewing of child sexual abuse images causes direct harm to real children. It is a very serious aggravating factor that some of the images involve children as young as three.”
Davies was handed three prison terms of eight, four and two months, to run concurrently, making a total of eight months. The sentence was suspended for two years.
He must complete 200 hours of unpaid work and attend 25 rehabilitation activity days. He was also ordered to sign the Sex Offenders’ Register for 10 years.
Crime
Leaked messages point to leadership crisis at HMP Parc

Staff mocked suicide and bragged about assaults as G4S failed to intervene
A CULTURE of violence, cruelty and neglect flourished unchecked at HMP Parc — which houses many prisoners from Pembrokeshire — while prison leadership appeared to look the other way, a cache of leaked messages obtained by The Herald suggests.
The explosive text and social media messages — exchanged between serving and former officers at the privately-run Bridgend jail — reveal not only a disturbing level of misconduct among some frontline staff, but a prison seemingly adrift, without effective oversight or internal accountability.
Officers joked about suicide attempts, bragged about violent assaults, and casually described provoking vulnerable inmates into confrontation — all in the open, with no reference to line managers, disciplinary consequences, or intervention from senior staff.
In one message, an officer writes: “Let’s push him to go tomorrow so we can drop him.” Another adds: “They smashed him into the shower lol,” with a colleague replying: “Good! I hope they hurt him too.”
In a separate conversation, a prisoner who had slit his wrists is described as “daft” and someone who should be sent “to a f lonnie bin.” One officer joked: “He’ll tie a bag around his neck,” followed by: “Too much paperwork,” and “Don’t have to do paperwork if you pretend not to see it.”

No fear of consequences
The messages, some of which were shared on social media last summer, contain no suggestion that those involved feared being caught or disciplined. In fact, the tone throughout is brazen, boastful and often gleeful — pointing to what campaigners now describe as a complete failure of leadership inside the prison.
“There’s no mention of superiors, no sense that anyone was trying to stop this,” one prison reform advocate told The Herald. “That tells you everything you need to know about the culture at the top.”
The Herald was the first to report on the leaked messages, which have since been seen by national media including the BBC, PA and The Independent. Their contents have now become part of an ongoing criminal investigation by South Wales Police.
Ten officers arrested — but no managers held accountable
Since September 2024, ten officers at HMP Parc have been arrested on suspicion of assault and misconduct in public office.
Four arrests were made on 20 September 2024, but all four individuals were later released without charge. In January 2025, six more officers were detained, with five bailed until the end of April and one released under investigation.
South Wales Police told The Herald: “The investigation remains ongoing, and officers are continuing to work closely with G4S.”
Despite the scale of the investigation, no senior managers or governors at the prison have been suspended, dismissed, or formally investigated. G4S has confirmed that three of the officers arrested in the first phase have been dismissed, and a fourth remains suspended pending disciplinary action.
Campaigners say that is not enough.
“If this level of abuse was happening openly among officers, leadership either knew and did nothing, or they were completely unaware of the day-to-day culture inside their own prison,” one former prison inspector said. “Either way, it’s a failure.”
Seventeen deaths in one year

The crisis at Parc has unfolded against a grim backdrop: seventeen inmates died in the prison during 2024, making it the deadliest prison in the UK that year.
In a letter to the House of Lords’ Justice and Home Affairs Committee in October, Prisons Minister James Timpson confirmed that the Ministry of Justice’s anti-corruption unit is actively investigating the facility.
In December, MPs were told that organised criminal gangs were smuggling drugs and weapons into Parc via children’s nappies and industrial drones. A riot in 2023 led to the replacement of the prison’s director by mutual agreement, with new leadership installed — but problems appear to have persisted.
“Catastrophic safeguarding failure”
In March 2025, The Herald reported on a separate police investigation into the alleged sexual assault of a vulnerable young inmate on X1 Wing. The victim, aged 18–19, was reportedly scalded with boiling water and forced to perform a sexual act at knifepoint by a known high-risk offender.
Campaigners questioned how the attacker — flagged in his OASys risk assessment as dangerous and premeditated — was allowed to share a cell with a vulnerable young prisoner.
Zack Griffiths, of the HMP Prisons Justice Group, said: “A vulnerable young person was left exposed to a violent, dangerous offender, and the consequences have been devastating. This isn’t just an individual crime — it’s a catastrophic failure of the prison system to safeguard those in its care.”
G4S response and silence from above

In a statement, a spokesperson for G4S said: “We are absolutely committed to rooting out any wrongdoing. Of the four individuals who were arrested and released without charge by South Wales Police, three have been dismissed from the company and one remains suspended pending the outcome of a disciplinary process.
Our staff are expected to treat everyone with dignity and respect and we have a zero-tolerance approach to dealing with any staff behaviour that falls short of our standards. The vast majority of our staff are hardworking and honest.”
The Prison Reform Trust declined to provide an on-the-record statement, but confirmed they have been hearing concerns from prisoners at HMP Parc and offered to speak off the record about broader issues within the prison system.
Calls grow for independent inquiry
With police investigations continuing, no charges brought, and no senior leadership held publicly accountable, calls are growing for a fully independent public inquiry into how HMP Parc has been run — and how such a corrosive environment was allowed to take hold.
“This isn’t just about a few bad officers,” one whistleblower said. “This is a broken culture, and it starts at the top.”
Parc, the largest prison in Wales, remains one of the few in the UK run by a private contractor. For families of those who died behind its walls, and for the growing number of victims still inside, answers cannot come soon enough.
Crime
Driver found slumped at wheel was three times over drink-drive limit

A MOTORIST found slumped over his steering wheel with the engine still running has admitted being three times over the legal drink-drive limit.
Robert McMillan, 44, was spotted by another driver at around 1:00pm on September 19 while parked near St Florence. Concerned for his welfare, the member of the public called police.
“A member of the public contacted the police as they were concerned that he’d either been drinking, taking drugs, or had a medical issue,” Crown Prosecutor Sian Vaughan told Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court this week.
“The engine was running and when the member of the public asked him if he was ok, the defendant gave him a thumbs-up.”
Following his arrest, a blood sample revealed McMillan had 272 micrograms of alcohol in his system—the legal limit is 80.
This week McMillan pleaded guilty to drink-driving. In mitigation, he claimed he had consumed a pint of alcohol at a pub in Penally and, after suspecting he had a flat tyre, pulled into a layby and drank three-quarters of a bottle of wine he had in the car.
“This led to his high reading as normally he doesn’t drink alcohol like this,” said probation officer Julie Norman.
However, the Crown disputed this version of events. CCTV footage played in court captured the member of the public telling officers that McMillan had fallen out of his vehicle.
McMillan was represented by solicitor Alaw Harries, who said the offence would have serious repercussions.
“For the past 17 years, Mr McMillan has worked for a mental health charity based in Cardiff, but his role involves a significant amount of driving,” she said. “His employers are now going to have to reconsider his position. This is going to have a huge impact on both himself and others. He’s disappointed in himself and is extremely sorry.”
Magistrates disqualified McMillan from driving for 28 months and imposed a 12-month community order, requiring him to complete 100 hours of unpaid work. He must also pay a £114 court surcharge and £85 in prosecution costs.
Due to the level of alcohol in his system, McMillan is now classed as a high-risk offender and must prove he is medically fit to drive before reapplying for his licence.
-
Community6 days ago
Final closures begin as long-awaited A40 bypass nears completion
-
Charity6 days ago
The Dizzy Bear to open soon at Milford Waterfront
-
News7 days ago
Park issues clarification on campsite restrictions following backlash
-
News7 days ago
Police appeal after fatal crash on A477 involving two vehicles
-
Crime7 days ago
Goodwick man jailed for stealing prescription tablets from partner
-
News6 days ago
Crisis deepens at Parc Prison as six officers arrested
-
Crime5 days ago
Pembroke Dock man to be sentenced for assaulting police officers
-
Crime5 days ago
Man jailed for historic child sex offences in Milford Haven