Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Politics

Plan for gender-balanced Senedd ‘lacks teeth’

Published

on

VOLUNTARY guidance aimed at making the Welsh Parliament more representative of the population lacks any real teeth, Senedd Members warned.

Sioned Williams described new draft guidance for political parties on diversity and inclusion as “too little, too late”, with the next Senedd election less than 18 months away.

Plaid Cymru’s shadow social justice secretary said the voluntary guidance has no teeth after the Welsh Government scrapped a proposed law on gender quotas in September.

She said: “Although any and all steps to try to increase diversity in politics are very welcome, I am deeply disappointed at the rolling back by the Welsh Government.”

Ms Williams suggested a once-in-a-generation opportunity to ensure a 50:50 gender split may have been missed, given the current progressive majority in the Senedd.

She said: “Candidates are already declaring their intention to stand.

“Voluntary guidance, which won’t be ready for months, really isn’t going to achieve that change for the Senedd elections in 2026.”

Her Plaid Cymru colleague Heledd Fychan pointed out there will be no penalties nor repercussions if political parties do not implement the guidance.

The Conservatives’ Darren Millar criticised a lack of engagement from the Welsh Government since legislation on gender quotas was withdrawn.

He questioned a “limited” focus on other aspects of equality such as age, faith and disability.

Mr Millar, who represents Clwyd West, said: “We very much hope when the final guidance is published it will be reflective of that broader range of characteristics.”

Jane Dodds, the Liberal Democrats’ leader in Wales, raised the Electoral Reform Society’s warning of a “sizeable risk” the next Senedd could be the least gender-balanced in history.

She told the debating chamber or Siambr: “The evidence is clear: legislative gender quotas are the only way to achieve gender-balanced Senedds.”

Ms Dodds, who represents Mid and West Wales, suggested political expediency and party interests were prioritised over women’s representation and democratic reform.

Hannah Blythyn, a Labour backbencher who represents Delyn, said making the Senedd more representative not only changes the face of politics but its focus too.

Ms Blythyn said: “We’ve talked about other protected characteristics and as an out lesbian, I’m very much in the minority in this place still and I’d like to see that diversity grow.”

In a statement to the Senedd on November 12, Jane Hutt recognised “huge disappointment” that gender quotas will not be underpinned by law.

Describing the draft guidance as a catalyst for change, the social justice secretary stressed that the Welsh Government remains committed to a gender-balanced Senedd.

Ms Hutt explained the final guidance, which is also aimed at council elections, will be published in spring following confirmation of new boundaries for the 2026 Senedd poll.

Pointing to measures under the Elections and Elected Bodies Act passed in July, she said: “We all know the guidance alone is not enough to ensure we achieve diversity in politics.”

She added: “Women are an under-represented majority in this Senedd. By including the section on voluntary gender quotas in the guidance, I want all parties to recognise the importance of considering what action they may take to increase women’s representation.”

consultation on the draft guidance closes on January 7.

 

Local Government

Former Pembrokeshire council leader speaks about ‘getting on with the job’

Published

on

PEMBROKESHIRE’S former leader Cllr Jon Harvey has spoken of his two years in the role, saying it “is not about photo opportunities, and not about headlines, but getting on with the job”.

Pembroke St Mary North member Cllr Harvey became leader in May 2024, replacing Cllr David Simpson, having previously served on his Cabinet.

After Cllr Harvey’s announcement he would not continue as leader, a three-way all-women challenge was held for the leadership role, with Cllr Tessa Hodgson beating Cllr Anji Tinley by one vote to become leader.

Speaking at the AGM just before the leadership battle, Cllr Harvey outlined a record of his time as leader.

Giving thanks to his predecessor in the leader role, Cllr David Simpson, he said: “It’s been an absolutely great honour to lead the council for the past two years, building on the work of David Simpson and my time in Cabinet.”

He also thanked fellow Cabinet colleagues and staff for their “commitment and professionalism,” and his wife Sarah and friends and family, saying: “If you do this role properly it’s 24-7; I’ve only had 10 days off in the last two years, it goes with the territory.”

He added: “As an administration We have much to be proud of, regeneration and investment of our town centres, with the Haverfordwest interchange and the ‘signature bridge’ open in Haverfordwest and the works at Haverfordwest Castle, and I’m confident of a formal announcement for retail at the old Wilko site.

“In Pembroke works are happening at important listed buildings that were left decaying pre-2017, with South Quay due to open in 2027, bringing added footfall into the town and saving on the social services budget.”

He said that while there were many naysayers to the costs of these projects, “the reality is we have secured significant amounts of grants, minimising the burden on the taxpayers”.

On education, Cllr Harvey said he was “particularly pleased with the opening of Ysgol Penfro in 2024,” and the administration was “committed to a new secondary in Milford Haven,” adding the performance figures as a local authority for A levels and GCSEs had improved.

He said Pembrokeshire now had the third highest number of affordable housing schemes based on population in Wales, and there had been significant investment in leisure facilities, with plans for new centres in Pembroke and Milford Haven, along with a new library in Narberth.

He finished by saying: “Leadership is not about photo opportunities, and not about headlines, but getting on with the job,” adding the three-way all-women contest for his former role would “make history,” and was “something to celebrate in itself”.

Presiding member Cllr Simon Hancock described Cllr Harvey as “an exemplary leader,” adding: “We are indebted to you to a very great extent.”

A vote of thanks for Cllr Harvey was later held, with Cllr Paul Miller saying: “The county owe their thanks [to Cllr Harvey] even if the majority don’t know it; such is politics.”

 

Continue Reading

Local Government

Pembrokeshire elects first ever woman leader after three-way challenge

Published

on

HISTORY has been made at Pembrokeshire County Council with the election of its first-ever woman leader, Tessa Hodgson, following a three-way battle at today’s May 15 AGM for the top job.

At Pembrokeshire County Council’s annual council meeting of May 15, an all-women battle to be the leader of Pembrokeshire County Council took place.

The leader of the council is elected every two years under the council’s constitution, and leader Cllr Jon Harvey had decided not to stand for re-election.

Pembroke St Mary North member Cllr Harvey became leader in May 2024 after narrowly beating fellow leadership hopeful Conservative group leader Di Clements by 30 votes to 27.

Cllr Harvey replaced Cllr David Simpson as leader.

Following his decision to step down, Cllr Harvey said: “It has been a fantastic two years, a real honour and privilege to lead the council, working with a talented and committed cabinet.

“After much thought and reflection, I feel now is the right time to make way for someone else to lead the council through the next 12 months to the local government elections in May 2027.”

Three nominations were received for the leadership battle: Conservative Group Leader Cllr Di Clements, unaffiliated member and current Cabinet Member for Adult Social Care Cllr Tessa Hodgson, and Leader of the Independent Group Cllr Anji Tinley.

Cllr Harvey had backed Cllr Hodgson for the top job.

The May 2026 leadership role will be held for one year, ahead of the 2027 council elections where the 2026 incumbent may, or may not, keep the role.

Two secret ballots were held, with 30 votes out of the 59 members present needed to secure a win.

During the first round, Cllr Hodgson gained 28 votes, Cllr Tinley 20, and Clements 11, Cllr Clements being eliminated for the second round.

That round saw Cllr Hodgson triumph by one vote: 30 to Cllr Tinley’s 29.

Accepting the role, Cllr Hodgson spoke of her “immense honour” to accept and being “part of history in the making as Pembrokeshire has its first ever female leader”.

Cllr Hodgson thanked her fellow leadership hopefuls for their “fair and honourable” challenge for the top job.

She also paid tribute to her colleagues and to, poignantly, her mother and late father, Cllr Viv Stoddart and former councillor Mike Stoddart for “their long record of public service,” and for their “always fair and unwavering support and guidance”.

Cllr Hodgeson has not yet announced her new Cabinet portfolios, the Cabinet remaining unchanged for now other than a vacancy following the news Cabinet Member for Education and Welsh Language Cllr Guy Woodham is to step down from his role.

The AGM also saw Cllr Delme Harries unanimously elected as council chair for the forthcoming year, replacing Cllr Maureen Bowen, and Cllr Nick Neumann elected as Deputy Presiding Member/Vice-Chair, beating Cllr Bethan Price by 34 votes to 24.

Cllr Simon Hancock will continue to serve as Presiding Member.

 

Continue Reading

Community

Cilgerran Church in Wales school discontinuation backed

Published

on

A CALL to discontinue a Pembrokeshire school has been backed by councillors despite 97 per cent of those responding to a recent consultation being against the change.

Last year, councillors backed a general consultation to discontinue Cilgerran Church in Wales Voluntary Controlled School, and to establish it as a 3-11 community school, the consultation closing earlier this year.

That consultation followed a review which “considered the extent of surplus school places in the area, set against a significant decline in the pupil population,” the council has previously said.

Hundreds opposed the proposed changes, with a petition on the council’s own website opposing the changes gaining 391 signatures.

During the consultation, 203 responses were received; 97 per cent (197 responses) against the proposal, with just 1.5 per cent (three) in favour.

Earlier this year, councillors heard from vice-chair of the school governors Gary Fieldhouse who said the loss of the Church in Wales status would be “a profound mistake,” the school’s association with the church “not symbolic but fundamental”.

Reverend John Cecil had told councillors the proposals were “fundamentally flawed,” with the school’s land legally in trust as a Church of Wales school, and change “essentially creating a new school with no premises to occupy”.

Following the ending of the consultation, a report was brought before the May 14 meeting of Pembrokeshire County Council.

The report for members presented by Cabinet Member for Education and Welsh Language Cllr Guy Woodham, who moved approval, recommended the Director of Education be authorised to publish a Statutory Notice to discontinue Cilgerran Church in Wales Voluntary Controlled school and establish the same as a 3-11 Community School.

On the land issue, the report said: “The Authority acknowledges that the school site includes land owned by the Diocese. Should the proposal proceed, the change of school category would be subject to appropriate legal agreements to ensure continued occupation of the premises.

“No change would be implemented without resolving land ownership and occupation rights in accordance with statutory and legal requirements.”

The report concluded: “The consultation exercise has provided a valuable opportunity for statutory consultees and other interested parties to give their perspective on the proposal to discontinue Cilgerran Church in Wales Voluntary Control School and establish the same as a 3-11 Community School.

“While arguments were made against the proposal, together with a small number of supportive comments, officers remain of the view that this is the most appropriate option in the context of quality and future sustainability of educational provision.”

At the May meeting, Cllr Jamie Adams felt the push for the change was “seemingly pushing water uphill,” with the school performing well; adding: “I’m a bit confused, we’re trying to impose a decision on a community that doesn’t want it.”

Recently elected councillor Scott Thorley echoed that, saying: “97 per cent want to keep it a VC, I think we should respect that.”

Director of Education Steven Richards-Downes said it was “about long term viability in the area,” members hearing from officers Cilgerran had a 28 surplus in pupil spaces.

Members by 34 to 16, with two abstentions, back the discontinuation recommendation.

The statutory notice will trigger a 28-day objection period, an objection report being brought to a future council meeting for determination.

 

Continue Reading

Community16 hours ago

Surfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach

CAMPAIGNERS took to the sea at Broad Haven today in a colourful protest demanding urgent action over sewage pollution in...

Health1 day ago

New NHS regional body raises questions over future hospital services in Pembrokeshire

Health bosses promise better joined-up care — but patients will want assurances over Withybush and travel distances PEMBROKESHIRE patients are...

Local Government2 days ago

Pembrokeshire County Council welcomes new chairman

CLLR DELME HARRIES has been elected chairman of Pembrokeshire County Council for the coming municipal year. Cllr Harries, who was...

News2 days ago

From Milford Mercury to County Hall for Pembrokeshire’s first female leader

Late councillor Mike Stoddart helped hold power to account for decades — now his daughter Tessa Hodgson leads the council...

Business2 days ago

Port reports record turnover, but debt, emissions and senior pay also rise

Annual report shows strong growth and major investment, but underlying figures reveal a more complex picture THE PORT OF MILFORD...

Community2 days ago

DARC radar: Campaigners ask Welsh Government to call in planning application

PARC AGAINST DARC has submitted an official request asking the new Welsh Government to call in the planning application for...

News4 days ago

State Opening overshadowed by Starmer leadership crisis

KING CHARLES has arrived at Parliament for the State Opening as Sir Keir Starmer faces the most serious crisis of...

News5 days ago

Rhun ap Iorwerth becomes Wales’ new First Minister

PLAID CYMRU TAKES POWER AFTER HISTORIC SENEDD VOTE PLAID CYMRU leader Rhun ap Iorwerth has become Wales’ new First Minister...

News5 days ago

Hotel was hit during a Luftwaffe bombing raid

THE COMMEMORATION, held on Tuesday (May 12), marked the anniversary of the wartime attack, with members of the community gathering...

News5 days ago

Starmer fights for survival as Labour civil war erupts

Cabinet split, ministers resign and MPs revolt as pressure mounts on Prime Minister after disastrous election losses KEIR STARMER is...

Popular This Week