Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Guilty of assault on ex girlfriend

Published

on

magA TRIAL was held at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday after a man from Hakin, Milford Haven pleaded not guilty to assaulting his ex girlfriend. Shaun Lee Roberts, aged 37 of Picton Road was eventually found guilty of the charge. Prosecutor, Nicholas Newton said: “On July 29, the defendant had been out drinking and had come home in the early hours of the morning. His partner was asleep in bed. He suffers from Crohn’s disease and has to have a colostomy bag. The bag leaked while they were in bed and there was an altercation.”

The victim took to the witness stand and said: “We were in a four year relationship and were living together in James Street in a two bedroom house. On that night Shaun had gone out playing pool and when he came in went straight to bed. He got up about two hours later and he fell against the bed. He couldn’t have done his colostomy bag up properly and some of the contents fell on my leg – it was hot that night and I had one leg out of the covers.” She continued to speak about the incident: “I turned the light on and said ‘Shaun, what have you done’ and he was saying ‘It’s all your fault’ and ‘It’s not come from me’.

I went to the bathroom to clear it up and he came in as well because he was covered. I gave him a tissue and he wiped some off his leg and he threw the tissue at my face. I slapped him and pushed him out the way. I thought it was absolutely disgusting and vile. I went into the bedroom and I went to pull the sheets off, but he came in and held me down on the bed and had his fist clenched in the air, and was saying ‘Come on then, come on then’. He wasn’t choking me, it was just enough force to keep me there.

I pulled my legs up kicked him with my feet, and he took his hand off my throat and grabbed my ankles and was twisting them. I was trying to kick back and I managed to push him off with all my force, and I ran down stairs. I opened the door to the living room and held the door to stop him getting in. He was banging on it trying to smash it, but then he hurt his arm and was saying ‘You’ve broken my arm’.

Then he went quiet for about ten to twenty seconds and I opened the door, ran past him and went upstairs. I rang him mum and then my mum.” Roberts told the court: “My bag had leaked and I got up and she kicked me off the bed. There were wet wipes in the bedroom and she started giving me verbal abuse. I was embarrassed about the situation and I had a scrunched up wet wipe in my hand, so I threw it at her.

He continued with his version of events: “She pushed me and started kicking me and I grabbed her ankles, and then she reached up and hit me on the head twice. She was effing and blinding at me. I went to the toilet to clean myself up and she followed me saying ‘Get out of my f****** house’. She went into the living room and slammed the door and I hit it and damaged it and hurt myself.

I went to look at my arm in the mirror and then I went back to the bedroom and cleaned the bed and bedpost.” Roberts is due to be sentenced for charges of actual bodily harm and threats to kill on the same person as in this case and wounding to a male at Swansea Crown Court on October 17. Magistrates said: “We find the evidence of the witness credible and Roberts accepts he held her throat and had a clenched fist. We believe that this is not self defence and are not the actions of a calm man.” Roberts was found guilty of the charge and the case was sent to Swansea Crown Court for sentencing on October 22.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News

New Information Centre opens at Withybush Hospital for those affected by Cancer

Published

on

A NEW Macmillan Information and Support Centre has opened at the entrance to Hywel Dda University Health Board’s Withybush Hospital in Haverfordwest to help those looking for advice and support about cancer.

The Centre has been officially opened by 10-year-old Ethan Llewelyn-Dimon, from Whitland. He recently raised a staggering £3,600 for Macmillan Cancer Support Wales by growing his hair to make a wig for the Little Princess Trust. Ethan’s family has been affected by cancer twice. His aunty Jo and mamgu had cancer. Sadly he never got to meet his aunty, as she passed away before he was born. Thankfully his Mamgu survived although she had three operations and lost her hair during the treatment. Ethan decided to grow his hair long enough to be made into a wig for children going through cancer and wanted to raise money as well to give something back to those who helped his family.

The new Information and Support Centre is open 9am – 5pm, from Monday to Friday. Helen Wood and Rachel Kersey, Macmillan Cancer Information and Support Coordinators, will be in the Centre to offer information and support.

Helen Wood said, “Being told that you have cancer is one of the hardest things that you hear, and it can be a scary time where sometimes you just need someone who you can ask for support and information about what is out there that might help. This is why we developed the Macmillan Cancer Information and Support Service and have been supporting people in Pembrokeshire for the past six years. We are there for anyone affected by cancer in many different ways from emotional support and someone to talk to, help to access psychological support from specialist Cancer Counsellors or a referral to the Macmillan Benefits Advice Team. We can provide both electronic and hard copies of the various Macmillan resources or signpost to other local and national organisations or support networks.” 

The pandemic meant support was only available over the phone but the opening of the Centre means face to face meetings are once again possible, but for the time being it must be a booked appointment to help keep everyone as safe as possible. 

Official opening of new cancer information and support centre in Withybush hospital

Rachel Kersey said, “It is always a privilege to be able to help, no question is too small and if you are unsure of what you need, just give us a call on 01437 773859.”

Anna Tee, Partnership Manager for Macmillan Cancer Support in Wales, said, “Macmillan is delighted to have designed and funded this fantastic new space for people who need cancer information in collaboration with Hywel Dda.”  

Gina Beard, Lead Cancer Nurse for Hywel Dda University Health Board said, “This is a service that is provided throughout Pembrokeshire, Ceredigion and Carmarthenshire and when circumstances allow, we will reach out to local businesses and attend events. The support service is here for people with concerns around a cancer diagnosis whether that’s the individual, friends or family. We are urging patients to come forward for diagnostic tests as we are concerned that many are still not seeking the care they need due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. We want people who suspect they have cancer to know we are very much open for business.”

The way the public access NHS services has changed and the Welsh Government is encouraging people to get to know the breadth of NHS services and options available to them as part of its Help Us, Help You campaign. The Macmillan support service can help with support and advice. The Health Board are also urging people to phone their local GP surgery if they think they might have symptoms of cancer, such as a new lump, pain, bleeding or sudden weight loss.

The Macmillan Information and Support Centre can be contacted by telephoning: 01437 773 859 or email: MacmillanCISSPembrokeshire.HDD@wales.nhs.uk

Continue Reading

News

Four charged with conspiracy to supply heroin and crack cocaine in west Wales

Published

on

FOUR people have been arrested and charged as part of an investigation into an organised crime gang supplying class A drugs from London to various locations in west Wales.

Dyfed-Powys Police, with support from The Met Police, carried out warrants at four addresses on July 21, resulting in four arrests.

Mohammed Osman, aged 23, Yonis Mohammed, aged 20, Salman Mohamoud, aged 23 – all from Islington – and Amy Simmons, aged 21, from Dulwich were charged with a total of 12 offences:

  • Mohammed Osman: Two counts of conspiring to supply class A drug heroin, and two counts of conspiring to supply class A drug crack cocaine,
  • Yonis Mohammed: Two counts of conspiring to supply class A drug heroin, and two counts of conspiring to supply class A drug crack cocaine.
  • Salman Mohamoud: Conspiring to supply class A drug heroin, and conspiring to supply class A drug crack cocaine
  • Amy Simmons: Conspiring to supply class A drug heroin, and conspiring to supply class A drug crack cocaine.

All four appeared at Llanelli Magistrates’ Court on Friday, July 23, where they were remanded in custody.

They are due to appear at Swansea Crown Court for their next hearing on August 20.

The investigation is being carried out by the Ceredigion Serious and Organised Crime Team, Aberystwyth CID and the Operation Orochi command of the Met Police.

Detective Sergeant Steve Jones said: “These four arrests and charges are the result of a coordinated approach to target an organised crime gang we believe is running a county lines operation into the Dyfed-Powys Police force area.

“We will continue to work diligently to disrupt gangs of this kind, to prevent the supply of illegal substances into our community.

“I would like to thank all officers involved, as well as the Met Police for their part in the operation.”

Continue Reading

News

Fishguard RNLI rescues drifting pleasure boat and crew

Published

on

ON SATURDAY evening  (Jul 24) a member of the public walking the coastal path near Carregwastad Point saw, in the fading light, a pleasure boat with people aboard apparently in difficulty. The member of the public then called 999.

This resulted in Fishguard RNLI’s all-weather lifeboat launching at 8.50pm with a full volunteer crew and speeding to the scene in calm sea conditions. Upon arrival at the location the lifeboat found a 7 foot pleasure boat drifting with four young men onboard.

Location of incident at Carregwastad Point, North Pembrokeshire (Image ONS)

The boat’s outboard engine had broken down and they had no auxiliary engine or any safety equipment, no lights, and no form of communication.

A tow line was attached to the boat and the men were transferred to the lifeboat.

One of the lifeboat crew went aboard the pleasure boat for the return journey to Goodwick public slipway where UK Coastguard personnel were waiting to speak with the four men.

The lifeboat returned to its station, arriving at 9.50pm.

Continue Reading
News8 hours ago

Three people hit by vehicle in Castle Lake Car Park, Haverfordwest

A HIT AND RUN incident in a Haverfordwest Car Park on Saturday night (Jul 24) left three people with minor...

Business11 hours ago

Dragon Palace owners take on The Woodridge Inn Hotel, Saundersfoot

AFTER five years running the popular Dragon Palace Chinese restaurant at Pentlepoir in Pembrokeshire, owners Jenny and Lok Cheung have...

News1 day ago

Police forensics investigation underway at Castle Lake car park, Haverfordwest

SPECIALIST officers from Dyfed-Powys Police are conducting a forensics investigation following an earlier incident at a Haverfordwest car park. Scenes...

News3 days ago

Man, 22, charged with murder of John William Bell in Cardigan

A CARDIGAN man has been charged with murder after a man’s death in Ceredigion. John Bell, 37, and also from...

News3 days ago

‘Plan ahead this summer’, says Leader of Pembrokeshire County Council

THE FOLLOWING is a message from the Leader of Pembrokeshire County Council, Cllr David Simpson: Hello everyone, I hope you...

News4 days ago

Devastated family’s tribute to ‘loving and devoted’ son

THE FAMILY of the 37-year-old man who died in Cardigan in the early hours of Wednesday morning (Jul 21) have...

Business4 days ago

Health, safety and welfare facilities enhanced at Milford Fish Docks

WORK has been completed at Milford Fish Docks to enhance health, safety and welfare facilities, including the installation of the...

News4 days ago

Police appealing for information after Monkton school break-in

POLICE are appealing after Monkton Priory Community Primary School was broken-in to at some time between Friday, July 9 and Monday,...

News5 days ago

Murder investigation launched following death man, 37, in Cardigan

DETECTIVES in Cardigan have confirmed they are dealing with what they believe to be a murder in the early hours...

News5 days ago

Don’t lose your voice! – Residents urged to complete voter registration details

THE RESIDENTS of Pembrokeshire are being urged to get their voices heard. And, the Young People of Pembrokeshire are being...

Popular This Week