Crime
Jury shown graphic images in Saundersfoot pub assault trial

A JURY at Swansea Crown Court has been shown graphic images of injuries sustained by a man whose lip was bitten off during an altercation at a Saundersfoot pub.
The incident occurred on October 28, 2022, when Stephen Kanauros visited The Boathouse to celebrate his daughter’s birthday with his wife, Kate, their daughter, and her boyfriend.
The Crown alleges that shortly before 10:30 pm, James O’Neill, 53, from Merthyr Tydfil, struck Mr. Kanauros to the ground. CCTV footage played in court on Monday showed Mr. Kanauros surrounded by O’Neill, his son, Aron O’Neill, 25, and his nephew, Shaun Nicholas, 24. Moments later, Mr. Kanauros stood up with blood pouring from his mouth.
“James O’Neill had bitten a part of his lip off,” Dyfed Thomas KC, prosecuting, told the jury. “The section that had been bitten off was later found on the floor.”
The court also heard that James O’Neill bit Mr. Kanauros’ finger during the altercation. “He intended to cause harm—really serious harm—and he certainly achieved it,” added Mr. Thomas.
Charges and allegations
James O’Neill denies charges of grievous bodily harm with intent and a lesser charge of causing grievous bodily harm. Aron O’Neill, of Dane Street, Merthyr Tydfil, and Shaun Nicholas, of Japonica Drive, Dowlais, both deny causing actual bodily harm to Mr. Kanauros.
The prosecution claims the violence stemmed from James O’Neill’s anger after bar staff questioned his daughter, Lowri O’Neill, about her ID while she was buying alcohol. Following the exchange, staff asked the group to leave.
“James O’Neill responded angrily, blowing vape smoke towards the staff and calling them the ‘c’ word,” said Mr. Thomas. “He was then seen confronting another man near the door, beckoning him outside for a fight.”
Events leading to violence
The jury was shown CCTV footage of Kate Kanauros dancing near her husband, who stood by the bar, before the altercation escalated. James O’Neill was seen walking through the bar as others, including Mrs. Kanauros, tried to usher him outside to defuse the situation.
The footage showed James O’Neill pushing Mrs. Kanauros, causing her to fall backwards. “The complainant then stepped in,” said Mr. Thomas. “You may think it was to protect his wife or because he was angry that she had been assaulted.”
The prosecution argued that James O’Neill’s claim of self-defence was unfounded. “He had already displayed aggression towards staff and another individual at the door,” said Mr. Thomas. “To claim he was acting in self-defence is simply untrue.”
The trial continues and is expected to conclude early next week.
Crime
Fined for dropping cigarette at Milford Haven Tesco

A LLANELLI man who dropped a cigarette outside Tesco in Milford Haven has been fined over £570 after failing to attend court.
Mark Evens, aged 42, of Llys Westfa, Llanelli, was found guilty in his absence at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (Apr 3).
The court heard that on September 3, 2024, Evens discarded a cigarette butt in a public place to which section 87 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 applied.
He was fined £220 and ordered to pay a victim surcharge of £88 and prosecution costs of £266.66. A collection order was made, and the full balance of £574.66 must be paid by May 1.
Crime
Court adjourns marine enforcement case

A SWANSEA man failed to appear in court after being accused of refusing to comply with a marine enforcement officer.
Ieuan Rhys Davies, aged 29, of Seaview Terrace, Penclawdd, is accused of failing to stop his vessel when directed by Marine Enforcement Officer Matthew Dawkins on June 6, 2024.
The case, brought under the Marine and Coastal Access Act 2009, was adjourned until May 1 at 2:00pm.
Magistrates have ordered that Davies must attend the next hearing or risk a warrant being issued for his arrest.
Crime
Pembroke man denies cocaine drug-driving charge

A PEMBROKE man has pleaded not guilty to drug-driving following an incident last summer.
Sean Agnew, aged 58, of Vetch Close, appeared at Llanelli Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (Apr 3) for a further case management hearing.
He is accused of driving a Nissan Qashqai on Hywel Way, Pembroke, on August 1, 2024, while unfit through drugs. It is alleged that a blood test showed a level of Benzoylecgonine — a breakdown product of cocaine — at more than 92 micrograms per litre of blood, exceeding the specified legal limit.
The charge is brought under Section 5A(1)(a) and (2) of the Road Traffic Act 1988.
Agnew entered a not guilty plea on February 4 and has been released on unconditional bail.
He is due to appear again at Llanelli Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (Apr 10) at 10:00am for a further case management hearing before District Judge J Layton. The case is expected to last 20 minutes.
Ella Passey appeared for the prosecution on behalf of CPS Wales (South West).
-
Community7 days ago
Final closures begin as long-awaited A40 bypass nears completion
-
Charity7 days ago
The Dizzy Bear to open soon at Milford Waterfront
-
News6 days ago
Crisis deepens at Parc Prison as six officers arrested
-
Crime6 days ago
Pembroke Dock man to be sentenced for assaulting police officers
-
Crime6 days ago
Man jailed for historic child sex offences in Milford Haven
-
Crime6 days ago
Milford Haven man faces court hearing for assault on three police officers
-
News6 days ago
Neyland councillor’s pub extension wrongly opposed by own council
-
News6 days ago
Three injured in two-car crash on B4313 near Trecwn