Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Machete wielding Pagan off the hook

Published

on

magMAGISTRATES found that a man did have a good reason to be holding a machete and an axe at Haverfordwest Law Courts on Monday (Dec 15). Aaron Simpson, aged 23, of Maeshenffordd in Cardigan, pleaded not guilty to two charges of possessing the two items. The magistrates heard how Simpson is a Pagan and that he was going to collect wood to start a small fire to help clear his head following an argument with his mother. Prosecuting, Nick Newton said: “This incident occurred in the early hours of October 24, 2014 at around 1.20am. “PC Garney was on duty in an unmarked police car on Maeshenffordd when he saw Mr Simpson walking in the street and noticed that he was not wearing a top.

“The officer saw the man put two items on the ground before approaching the police car. When the officer asked who he was, he became confrontational, claiming ‘everyone knows who I am’ and stated that he was just out for a walk. “After a short while, the officer went back to him again and informed him that he was going to search him, as he suspected he had something he shouldn’t have. “He put his stuff on the floor and pulled his trousers down, saying ‘is that good enough for you officer?’

The officer called for a temporary sergeant to attend the area and informed him when he arrived that he was going to search the area where he had first spotted Mr Simpson. “He heard Simpson shout ‘you’ll find an axe and a machete up there’. He picked up the items, which were an axe and a machete. Simpson said ‘I told you there was an axe and a machete. He told the officers that he had previously had an argument with his mother and that he was going to collect wood to start a small fire to clear his head.”

A recording of his interview at the station was then played to the court and when Simpson was asked why he put the items on the ground he said: “I could hear a car coming and I didn’t want to make anyone feel ill at ease.” Simpson also told the court that he has had noise abatement notices to his flat and he has been told not to burn certain things but added he has not been told that he cannot start a fire.

He also told the magistrates that he is a qualified tree surgeon, and he listed a number of other similar qualifications that he has. Summing up the prosecution case Nick Newton added: “If you decide to cut wood, you wouldn’t walk down the street with no top on. The items would not be on display and you would not be confrontational with the police. Defending, Robin Reed said: “He is a Pagan and he believes in living off the land and at this time he was observing the pagan festival known as Samhain.

“He is quite proud of those items as he has restored them himself. They are used for cutting wood and they have no other purpose. “He did tell the officers what he was doing and he explained his account in great detail. “In terms of placing the items down this was quite a sensible thing to do as he didn’t want a confrontation with anybody. There has been no threat to use the items at any point”. Magistrates found that he did have a good reason to hold the axe and the machete and found him not guilty of the offence citing that he has an alternative lifestyle. They also warned him that he should be aware of others when out and about in the future.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Entertainment

Easter at Milford Waterfront: Family fun with chocolate trails, markets, and more

Published

on

MILFORD WATERFRONT will be bursting with Easter fun this April as it hosts a variety of free, family-friendly activities to celebrate the season.

Over the weekend of Saturday 5 and Sunday 6 April, a spring-themed market will take place from 10:00am to 4:00pm, offering seasonal treats, crafts, and local produce. Children can also meet Rascal the Easter Bunny, who will be making a special walkabout appearance on Saturday (Apr 5) from midday until 2:30pm.

On Wednesday 16 April, families are invited to visit Milford Haven Museum to discover the town’s rich maritime history. Afterwards, youngsters can collect a free Easter trail map and set off on a chocolate-themed treasure hunt around the waterfront’s shops and attractions. Completed trails can be exchanged for a small Easter egg. More details are available at www.milfordwaterfront.co.uk.

Throughout the Easter season, visitors can indulge in seasonal delights from a range of independent businesses, including artisan chocolates at Trwffl and Dilly’s, or natural skincare gifts from Akamuti. The waterfront is also home to a selection of boutique clothing and gift shops—perfect for finding something special this spring.

Adventurous visitors can make the most of the season by getting out on the water, with Milford Beach Activity Centre offering stand-up paddleboarding and kayaking experiences. And for those looking to dine out, the waterfront’s many restaurants will be unveiling their new spring menus, featuring locally sourced seafood and family favourites with marina views.

Stay by the sea this Easter

Right at the heart of the action is Tŷ Hotel Milford Waterfront, which is offering a special Easter Escapes bed and breakfast deal. Guests can enjoy on-site family activities such as oversized board games, cinema screenings, and an Easter trail. Standard rooms for two start from £89 per night, with family rooms from £131 per night, including breakfast. Offer valid for stays between 4–27 April. Book at www.ty-hotels.com.

Continue Reading

Health

Welsh public want NHS, cost of living and infrastructure prioritised

Published

on

Report highlights top concerns and calls for long-term vision

THE WELSH public want the government to prioritise improvements to the NHS, tackle the cost of living, and invest in infrastructure, according to Deloitte’s latest State of the State report.

The 2025 report, published in partnership with the independent think tank Reform, reflects the views of both public sector leaders and the people who use public services.

For the third consecutive year, the state of the NHS and the cost of living were the most pressing concerns for people in Wales, with both issues cited by 75% of those surveyed. Social care for the elderly and vulnerable adults followed, mentioned by 48%.

Jobs and the economy (47%) and affordable housing (43%) were also high on the public’s list of priorities. One of the most notable increases was in concern about infrastructure—roads, railways and broadband—with 42% calling for improvements, a rise of six percentage points on last year.

When asked about the biggest drivers of future growth, respondents in Wales chose improving the nation’s health (45%), boosting education and skills (44%), and increased investment in infrastructure (39%).

Despite these priorities, most people were pessimistic about the outlook. Some 75% expected the NHS to stay the same or get worse, while 74% said the same about infrastructure.

Council chief executives interviewed for the report stressed that government infrastructure spending would be key to future growth. Other public sector leaders highlighted progress in Welsh transport, crediting a clear vision and strong partnership working for recent successes.

The biggest challenge facing public services, according to respondents, was a lack of funding, with 66% citing it as a concern. A further 55% expressed fears about a loss of trust in public services.

While trust in the Welsh Government remains higher than in the UK, Scottish or Northern Irish governments, the public remain sceptical about delivery. Some 63% said they had low trust in its ability to deliver major projects on time and on budget, while 61% doubted it could deliver outcomes people want.

On the question of taxation, Welsh public opinion was divided. Some 31% supported higher taxes and public spending, while 37% preferred lower taxes and reduced spending. Nearly half (47%) said they expected higher taxes and spending regardless of their preference.

Deloitte’s interviews with senior public sector leaders revealed ambitious long-term goals, including frictionless digital interaction with government services, improved collaboration between agencies, place-based planning for integrated transport and healthcare, and a shift toward long-term, commercially aware decision-making.

Dave Tansley, Deloitte’s senior partner for the South West and Wales, said: “The State of the State 2025 report shows the Welsh public remain concerned about the cost of living and the NHS. But our survey also found heightened interest in infrastructure, more so than in other parts of the UK, suggesting the public recognises the importance of connectivity to economic growth.”

He added: “Infrastructure investment supports jobs, housing, roads and rail—but more importantly, it provides the platform for long-term economic resilience. With public finances under pressure and the 2026 Senedd election approaching, the next administration faces difficult choices and the chance to deliver transformational change.”

Ian Howse, Deloitte’s senior partner for Wales, said: “Public sector leaders want bold reform—services that are joined-up, citizen-focused and tech-driven. While the Welsh Government is addressing immediate pressures, our research points to the need for a long-term vision. Leaders report growing urgency to deliver ahead of the next election, especially on economic growth, which is a positive sign for the future.”

Continue Reading

Health

Campaign launched to reverse sharp fall in organ donation consent in Wales

Published

on

Woman from Pembrokeshire in campaign to raise awareness

A NEW campaign has been launched to reverse a worrying decline in family consent rates for organ donation in Wales—now the lowest in the UK.

Just five years ago, Wales had the highest consent rate in Britain. Today, it lags behind all other UK nations, with a 56% consent rate—down from 77% in 2018/19—despite having pioneered a “presumed consent” law in 2015.

Under that system, unless individuals opt out via the NHS Organ Donor Register, they are presumed to have agreed to donate their organs after death. But transplant specialists say the law may have had an unintended consequence: fewer families are talking about donation.

“Many people think presumed consent means everything is sorted, so they don’t have the conversation,” said Bethan Moss, a specialist nurse in Wales. “But families are always asked to confirm, and if they’re unsure, they often say no.”

The new campaign—The Best Thing You’ll Do Today—encourages people to both sign the register and speak with their loved ones.

“It’s about peace of mind,” Moss added. “If families know what their relative wanted, they’re far more likely to agree.”

More than 1.3 million people in Wales have declared their willingness to donate organs since the register began in 1994. Over 10,000 patients in Wales have received life-saving transplants. But the lack of conversation is proving deadly.

Across the UK, consent rates are falling, but the drop in Wales is steepest. Current family consent rates are 60% in England, 61% in Scotland, and 66% in Northern Ireland.

“Talking is key,” said Joanna Chalker, a senior nurse with NHS Blood and Transplant who has worked in Wales for 16 years. “When someone has signed the register or told their family, the consent rate jumps to 90%. That can mean the difference between life and death.”

One of those lives saved was 35-year-old Pembrokeshire mum Jessica (pictured), who was diagnosed with Primary Biliary Cholangitis—a rare liver condition—in 2016. After two false alarms, she finally received a successful transplant in 2022.

“I’d always been healthy, so the diagnosis was a shock,” she said. “But I was ready. Now I’m walking the kids to school again and loving life. Organ donation gave me everything back.”

Every day in the UK, someone dies waiting for a transplant. Right now, around 8,000 people—including over 200 children—are on the waiting list. A single donor can help up to nine people.

To register your decision or find out more, visit:
👉 www.organdonation.nhs.uk/register-your-decision

Continue Reading

Charity3 hours ago

Royal visit celebrates Pembrokeshire charity’s community impact

STAFF, volunteers and visiting pupils at Lower Treginnis Farm were delighted to welcome a very special guest on Wednesday (April...

Business15 hours ago

Valero refinery escapes Trump’s new tariffs

Fuel imports spared as US tries to avoid price hikes THE VALERO oil refinery in Pembroke has escaped the impact...

Crime21 hours ago

Leaked messages point to leadership crisis at HMP Parc

Staff mocked suicide and bragged about assaults as G4S failed to intervene A CULTURE of violence, cruelty and neglect flourished...

News22 hours ago

Cleddau Bridge Hotel site housing development takes a step forward

CASTELL GROUP, in partnership with Pembrokeshire County Council, have completed the sale for the redevelopment of the former Cleddau Bridge...

Business1 day ago

Pembrokeshire Council rules out ‘toxic tourism tax’ – for now

VISITORS to Pembrokeshire will not face a new overnight tourism tax—at least not during the current county council administration. As...

News2 days ago

Shellfish gathering labelled ‘out of control’ in Saundersfoot

COUNCILLOR DEMANDS ACTION AS 250 COCKLE PICKERS DESCEND ON LOCAL BEACH ANGER is growing in Saundersfoot after more than 200...

Crime2 days ago

In court charged with intentional strangulation of woman

A PEMBROKESHIRE man is to appear before a Crown Court judge for trial charged with the intentional strangulation of a...

Crime2 days ago

Leaked messages reveal shocking culture at HMP Parc amid misconduct probe

The facility houses many prisoners from Pembrokeshire, and is the largest jail in Wales A SERIES of leaked messages obtained...

Business2 days ago

SpaceX eyes Milford Haven for new UK facility

Talks underway for rocket factory at former Black Bridge armament depot SPACE-X, the aerospace company founded by billionaire Elon Musk,...

Crime3 days ago

Victims praised as 1980s child rapist jailed for 16 years

A POLICE detective has praised the “immense strength” of two survivors of child sexual abuse after their attacker was finally...

Popular This Week