News
‘Secret talks’ to bring nukes to Milford Haven

Trident: Could nuclear weapons be heading to Pembrokeshire
MILFORD HAVEN PORT AUTHORITY says that it has not yet been approached regarding the relocation of the British nuclear submarine base NMNB Clyde, after rumours resurfaced in the newspapers this week.
The national press is reporting that defence officials have secretly started examining plans to move Britain’s nuclear-armed submarines from Faslane in Scotland to Wales, but the Chief Executive of the port, Alec Don, told The Herald on Wednesday (Jan 28): “We have not yet been approached by any authority in relation to this.”
Stephen Crabb MP said: “I’ve been to Faslane and seen for myself the thousands of high quality jobs provided at the base. At a time when Pembrokeshire has recently lost a major employer, stories like this will sound appealing to some. But the UK Government and the Ministry of Defence are absolutely clear that there are no plans to move the Trident base from Scotland. Such an operation would cost billions of pounds and is not on the table.”
The Scottish Daily Mail has reported on its front page that it’s ‘well-placed source’ said political leaders in Wales were keen for the Ministry of Defence to ‘look at Welsh sites’, including Milford Haven.
The national press is reporting that there are many obstacles to trident coming to Milford Haven aside from the cost, including safety with the LNG terminals. If moving Trident to Milford Haven becomes a necessity, and if the UK Government were to offer Cardiff a good funding package as a sweetener, then it could just be possible, it is being reported.

Scottish Daily Mail on Jan 28
Plaid Cymru has responded to reports that the Ministry of Defence is exploring options for relocating Trident to Wales.
A Plaid spokesperson told The Herald: “Plaid Cymru’s opposition to Trident is longstanding and unconditional. Only last week we held a Commons debate calling for Trident renewal to be scrapped and for the estimated £100bn cost of the system over its lifetime to be diverted to fund vital public services.
The spokesman added: “Talk of the Ministry of Defence making plans to relocate Trident to Wales comes as extremely worrying news. Our nation is not a dumping ground for weapons of mass destruction. We will be taking immediate action to secure clarity on the matter and hope that all parties in Wales will join us in doing the same.”
Frances Bryant, Green Party candidate for Preseli Pembrokeshire told us: “I do not believe the people of Pembrokeshire, and especially Milford Haven, would welcome this dangerous technology in their midst, any more than the people of London or Westminster would welcome it on the Thames.
She added: “As far as the Green Party is concerned we would relocate it to the scrap heap. It is ridiculously expensive,and of no real military value . We think that the 100 billion pounds that this system is projected to cost in its lifetime would be better spent on education, the NHS and other vital social infrastructure.
She concluded: “Jobs in Milford Haven could instead be created and sustained by the fabrication of renewable energy systems which require a well trained and skilled workforce already in place in that location.”
Green Party spokesperson Pippa Bartolotti said: “This is a missile system which costs the people of Britain £5707 a minute, which could kill 320 million people and the £100billion pounds it costs could fund our A and E services for 40 Years. If this money was invested in our green and social infrastructure it would create 2,000,000 jobs.”
She added: “No responsible government will ever use this weapon of mass destruction, but we must be minded that the Trident system is dependent on software, and cyber warfare is the new front line. There is a real and frightening possibility that this software could be hacked by small terrorist cells. No words can describe the anguish of a nuclear strike. Greens call for the abandonment of all nuclear weapons worldwide, and the nuclear power plants which feed them the weapons grade material. The cold war is over, and enough destruction is taking place in terms of pollution and species extinction without the added threat of nuclear warfare. Greens move forward in a more hopeful setting, where empty threats are replaced with solid policies which work for the common good of humanity.”
Cllr Paul Miller said: “Clearly if there were proposals on the table for Trident to be based in Milford Haven there would have be a conversation to be had with people of Pembrokeshire. Our community is desperate for jobs but that would clearly need to be balanced against whatever potential proposal might or might not come forward.”
The Labour candidate for Preseli Pembrokeshire added: “The SNP lost the Independence referendum and aren’t in a position to dictate to the rest of the UK. I’m not sure if this proposal will come to light. If it does, I’ll be on the frontline getting the best for the people of Pembrokeshire.”
A spokesman for Pembrokeshire County Council said: “We declared the county a nuclear-free zone in 1998 and this policy still stands. This decision was taken following an announcement by the then owners of the Royal Naval Armament Depot at Trecwn – Omega Pacific Limited – to utilise the site as a nuclear waste storage facility.”
“This sparked great consternation in Pembrokeshire and it was in the light of this concern that the Authority adopted its nuclear-free policy.”
This week, Comedian Russell Brand has been invited to face shipyard workers after saying the Trident replacement programme they are working on should be scrapped. He posted a video online saying too much money was spent on defence and it should go to the NHS instead. But Barrow Labour MP John Woodcock said he would rather be protected by a nuclear deterrent than an “eccentric comedian”.

What is Trident?
THE UK Trident Programme deals with the attaining, operating and developing British nuclear weapons. Trident itself is a structure of four submarines armed with ballistic missiles, which delivers multiple thermonuclear warheads, more commonly known as hydrogen bombs. It is currently the British military forces’ most powerful and expensive weapon.
Although patrols began in 1994, the Trident programme was first initiated in July 1980, during a period of immense tension in the Cold War. It was regarded that there was a threat coming from the Soviet Union and its allies in the Warsaw Pact. The tridents were built with a twenty-five-year life expectancy, but are expected to continue into 2042 following an upgrade.
Since 1998, Trident is the only nuclear service in Britain and is currently situated at the Clyde Naval Base in Scotland. At least one submarine is always on patrol as a preventative measure of nuclear war.
Trident has been said to be the best way of ensuring peace and deterring an aggressor. Every British government since 1945 has seen the necessity of nuclear weapons. Yet, it is a very expensive programme and nuclear weapons are seen to be immoral. Britain could set an example through disarmament. Countries such as Spain, Australia, Canada and Germany do not have nuclear weapons and they still have global influence.
Community
Community pool launches funding appeal to secure future
A COMMUNITY-RUN swimming pool in Narberth is appealing for public and business support as it works to safeguard the future of one of Pembrokeshire’s most valued local facilities.
Narberth Swimming Pool, operated by charity Swim Narberth CIO, has unveiled plans for a £338,000 sustainability and improvement project aimed at protecting the building, cutting energy costs and ensuring the pool can continue serving the community for decades.
The facility was saved from closure in 2014 following a major community-led fundraising campaign and has since become a vital local asset. It now supports more than 500 children and 1,000 adults every week through swimming lessons, school sessions, inclusive and disability-friendly programmes, and health and wellbeing activities for people of all ages.
Chair of Trustees Chris Walters said the next phase is about protecting what the community worked so hard to preserve.

“This project isn’t about expansion or luxury upgrades,” he said. “It’s about keeping the doors open, the water warm and the building safe.”
A key element of the project is the replacement of the pool’s roof, which was never fully completed when the charity took over more than a decade ago. The structure has deteriorated over time, leading to persistent leaks and ongoing maintenance problems.
“The roof is a real concern for us,” Chris explained. “If we don’t address it now, the problems will only get worse and more expensive to fix.”
Alongside the roof works, the project will include installation of a modern high-efficiency air-handling system and upgrades to the existing solar photovoltaic panels. Together, the improvements are expected to reduce energy use by more than 30%, cut carbon emissions and significantly lower long-term running costs.
Swim Narberth CIO has applied to the Welsh Government Community Facilities Programme for £300,000 towards the scheme and must raise approximately £40,000 in match funding to unlock the grant.
Chris said the opportunity follows more than five years of waiting for a funding programme of this scale, with earlier plans delayed by the Covid pandemic.
“During that time, we’ve focused on stabilising the pool, growing participation and improving quality,” he said. “Winning a recent Swim Wales Award, and being the only swimming pool in Pembrokeshire to hold the Swim Wales Learn to Swim accreditation, has cemented Narberth’s position as a key community facility. But awards don’t repair roofs — investment does.”
Fundraising efforts are now being coordinated by Pool Manager Alice, with events and initiatives planned in the coming weeks. The charity is also approaching local businesses and national organisations to help secure the required match funding within a limited timeframe.
“We’re asking businesses to consider sponsoring the pool in some way,” Chris said. “In return, we’re committed to giving something back, whether that’s recognition, promotion or community engagement.”
As part of the appeal, larger donors are being offered a practical incentive.
“For anyone with slightly deeper pockets,” he added, “we’re offering a free company swim session for around 25 employees in return for a minimum donation of about £1,000. It’s a great team-building activity and supports a really good cause.”
Chris said trustees hope the same community spirit that saved the pool in 2014 will once again come to the fore.
“We’re asking the community to rally around the pool once more,” he said. “Without this investment, there’s a real risk that the pool becomes increasingly difficult to sustain in the future.”
Swim Narberth CIO will share updates on fundraising progress in the coming weeks. Anyone wishing to support the appeal can follow the charity on Facebook at facebook.com/swimnarberth or donate via gofund.me/447a446d7.
Community
Anyone can administer EpiPens in emergencies, councillor clarifies
Proposal aims to ensure life-saving devices are available in every Pembrokeshire school
A COUNCILLOR has clarified that anyone is legally permitted to administer an adrenaline auto-injector (AAI), commonly known as an EpiPen, in a medical emergency, following confusion during a recent debate at Pembrokeshire County Council.
Councillor Huw Murphy circulated guidance to colleagues after presenting a Notice of Motion calling for arrangements to be made with Hywel Dda University Health Board so that every school in Pembrokeshire can hold the potentially life-saving devices.

He pointed to changes made to medicines legislation in 2012, which broadened the law to allow any member of the public to administer adrenaline for the purpose of saving a life. Previously, the law required the person giving the injection to have received appropriate training.
Cllr Murphy said he had been aware of the legal position during the debate but was unable to reference the specific regulations at the time due to technical difficulties.
He thanked fellow councillors for supporting the motion in principle and said the estimated cost of around £14,000 to equip schools across the county would represent good value given the potential to prevent fatalities in emergency situations.
The councillor also suggested the Welsh Government may need to review its national policy on the storage and use of AAIs in local authority schools as awareness grows and demand increases.
If approved, the proposal would see discussions take place with health partners to develop a practical framework allowing schools to hold and use the devices safely.
Local Government
Review launched into winter gritting for north-east Pembrokeshire roads
Council to assess whether salt provision should return to Preseli and higher-ground communities after concerns over closures
PEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL has agreed to review its winter maintenance strategy for roads in the north and north-east of the county, following concerns that higher-ground communities are more vulnerable to snow and ice disruption.
The decision comes after a Notice of Motion was presented by Independent Group Leader, Councillor Huw Murphy, calling for a reassessment of how the authority manages gritting and salt provision in areas north and north-east of the A40, including the Preseli Mountains and communities such as Crymych and Tegryn.
Council officers and Cabinet members acknowledged that these upland areas experience harsher winter conditions than much of the county and are more likely to become impassable during periods of snowfall and icy weather.
The review will also examine the 2022 removal of the auxiliary salt depot previously located near Crymych. If the review concludes that additional provision is required, a replacement salt tip could potentially be reinstated in the north-east, although not necessarily at the former Llanfyrnach site.
The council expects the review to be completed during the second half of 2026.
Councillor Murphy said he welcomed the response from officers and Cabinet, adding that the issue had significant implications for residents, businesses and schools in affected areas.
He said: “The higher ground of north-east Pembrokeshire and areas adjacent to the Preseli Hills are more susceptible to closure during periods of poor weather, especially snow and ice. The potential return of an auxiliary salt tip is something that should be seriously considered and would be welcomed by local communities in helping to keep roads passable during difficult conditions.”
He also referenced the severe weather disruption seen during late 2025, which highlighted the challenges faced by rural communities when key routes become blocked.
Pembrokeshire County Council currently operates three winter maintenance zones across the county, but the review aims to determine whether the existing arrangements provide sufficient resilience for the most weather-exposed areas.
Further details are expected once the assessment work progresses later this year.
-
Health6 days agoHealth Board to decide future of nine key services at two-day meeting
-
Community7 days agoFacebook ‘news’ site targeting Herald editor collapses after community backlash
-
Crime4 days agoFour arrested in armed police operation across Pembroke Dock
-
Community24 hours agoHywel Dda hospital services decisions will be made next week
-
Crime6 days agoPublican admits supplying cocaine and cannabis at Crown Court
-
Education4 days agoSchool in special measures after inspectors raise safeguarding and leadership concerns
-
Community7 days agoStudents win King’s Trust award for transforming vandalised subway
-
Community2 days agoSecond Milford Haven webcam launched after 1.3m views and US TV feature








tomos
January 28, 2015 at 2:34 pm
never believe a rumour until it’s denied !
the truth is IF scotland had voted yes to independence there might have been a slight possibility the trident subs might have come here, it certainly would have helped the Pembs economy that ipig and bpj have done their best to destroy
ps probably safer than the gas plant?