Connect with us


Yerbeston man cleared of beating taxi driver, and refusing to pay



taxiTHE TRIAL of Lawrence James Goldsworthy from Yerbeston started with him wanting to revoke his early guilty pleas on Wednesday (Feb 11).

The 25-year-old told the court: “I believe that I am not guilty. I didn’t tell my solicitors how I was provoked.” He added: “I can give you a name of someone in prison that revoked his plea.”

The clerk to the justices told Goldsworthy that he had no power to re-open the cases, and the trial would go ahead.

The hearing at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court began by dealing with charges one and two out of five: The allegation that the defendant assaulted Stuart Jones and running off from a taxi without payment.

After solicitor for the defence Mike Kelleher heard that his client wanted to change his plea, told the court: “I don’t think I can continue to act for him. But if he wants to change his plea, clearly our instructions were that they were guilty pleas. I’m in an awkward position so I’m going to stand down.”

Even though Goldsworthy made an application for adjournment, Magistrates decided that the trial would continue. He then had to represent himself and cross examine the witness.

Prosecuting, Leslie Harbon told the court: “At 3am Goldsworthy was in Tenby looking for a taxi home. He was outside the Prince of Wales and asked Stuart Jones, the taxi driver, how much it would be to Preseli. They agreed on £25 and Goldsworthy jumped into the taxi. He then allegedly took out a £5 note and some change and asked if he could go and collect the money from his house. Upon arriving at his house, he told Jones that he was going to open the iron steel gate to his house. However, he jumped over the gate and began running down the lane. Jones followed in his taxi and was met by Goldsworthy who began attacking Jones and proceeded to smash his rear window.”

Jones was called down to the witness stand where he was examined by both the prosecutor and Goldsworthy.

Jones tells the court that they agreed on an amount, and upon reaching the gate and seeing Goldsworthy’s behaviour sat in the minibus thinking what he was doing. He drove down the lane and was faced with Goldsworthy and his vulgar language: “You’re on private property. I’m not f***ing paying you.”

Goldsworthy then pushed Jones with two hands on his chest. Jones told the court: “He tried to hit me but no punches actually hit me. As soon as he pushed me I got into the car.”

Goldsworthy then took the stand and began to cross examine Jones: “Did you threaten me on the way? Did you not call me a gypsy and say that my son was a gypsy? You were threatening to beat me up, and when I got out of the taxi I told you that I didn’t want you to come down the lane. How did you enter the property? You forcefully entered through the steel gate which was off its hinges. Did you force your way into the property with aggression?”

Jones answered; “No, I wouldn’t call it aggression.”

Jones denied touching Goldsworthy and told the court: “I didn’t touch you. I couldn’t understand what you were doing and next minute you’re running for leather down the road.”

Goldsworthy asked Jones: “You pursued me and that is why I picked up a stone because you were driving at 50 miles an hour down the lane trying to mow me down. You never gave me a chance to pay.”

After a brief period of adjournment, the Magistrates returned they told the court that there was no case to answer, clearing Goldsworthy of the two charges.

The defendants other three charges were adjourned March 4 in order for the probation services to prepare a report, he was released on the condition that he fully comply with the probation service. These charges were damaging Stewart Jones’ vehicle, running away from another taxi without paying and assaulting another officer.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


Pembroke Dock: Two in hospital following Fort Road car accident



EMERGENCY SERVICES dealt with what has been described by a witness as a “horrific car accident” in the Pembroke Dock area on Wednesday night (Jun 12).

A 23-year-old woman, driving a black BMW, travelled down Fort Road at speed, hit a low wall, catapulting the vehicle some considerable distance across a picnic area. The vehicle ended up irreparably damaged on the beach – which was luckily not in use at the time – landing next to the old Cambridge Gun Tower.

No other vehicles seem to have been involved, police said.

The driver has been arrested but remains in hospital, one passenger is in a critical but stable condition, in Cardiff, and a second passenger sustained only minor injuries.

A spokesperson for Welsh Ambulance Service spokesperson said: “We were called at 10.45pm on Wednesday night (Jun 23), to reports of a road traffic accident near the Fort Road car park in Pembroke Dock.

“We attended the scene with one rapid response vehicle, two emergency ambulances and our Emergency Medical Retrieval and Transfer Service.

“Two people were taken to University Hospital Wales, Cardiff for further treatment.”

The police are appealing in the media for information following the crash.

An official statement from the police reads as follows: “We were called to Fort Road, Pembroke Dock, at around 10.45pm on Wednesday night to reports of a single-vehicle collision. Ambulance and fire service also attended.

“A 19-year-old man was taken to the Heath Hospital in Cardiff and remains in a critical but stable condition.

“A second passenger attended hospital for minor injuries but has since been discharged. A 23-year-old woman was arrested, and currently remains in hospital.

“Anyone who witnessed the collision but who has not yet spoken to us should get in touch by emailing, visiting our website, or calling 101.

UPDATE: 24.06.2021, 15:47HRS

On Thursday (Jun 24) said that the female who was arrested was de-arrested because of the need for medical treatment, and is “no longer under arrest at this time.”

The police also added that their investigation was “still active”.

Continue Reading


Pembrokeshire call handler helps deliver Llanelli couple’s new baby



A 999 CALL HANDLER from Pembrokeshire has helped deliver a Llanelli couple’s baby.

Father-of-two Chris Bassett, from Hook, answered the call from the Trust’s Clinical Contact Centre in Carmarthen, and whose instructions on loudspeaker enabled the pair to deliver their 8lb 1oz new arrival safely.

Thanks to Chris, Troy Smith, 34, and partner Abigail Jones, 33, delivered baby Arabella Dilys Smith in the bedroom of their Llanelli home.

Troy said: “I’ve never felt adrenaline like it but I knew I had to focus on the situation for Abigail and the baby’s sake.

“It all happened so quickly, but Chris’ voice on the other end of the phone kept us calm.”

Abigail, a teacher at Ysgol Carreg Hir in Briton Ferry, went into labour at around 10.00pm on Thursday, June 3, and made a trip to hospital, where nurses confirmed she was in the early stages.

The couple returned to their Pwll home, but their soon-to-be daughter had other ideas.

Troy said: “At around 4.30am, Abigail developed a lot of pain and said she had an urge to push.

“I thought, ‘Right, this is happening’ and phoned an ambulance because I knew I’d be delivering the baby right there and then.”

It was Chris, a former RAF Aerospace Systems Operator, who picked up the call in the early hours of Friday, June 4.

The 29-year-old, who has been with the Welsh Ambulance Service for 18 months, said: “As soon as I answered the call, it was obvious that Troy and Abigail were in distress, as anyone would be in that situation.

“The priority was to get Abigail in a comfortable position to deliver the baby safely.

“For me, it was about giving them clear instructions while trying to keep them both calm.”

Troy added: “I just did what came naturally. When you’re in that situation, you just do it.

“As soon as Arabella came, I felt this wave of relief and I just couldn’t believe how gorgeous she was.

“Chris was so professional and handled the situation really well.

“He gave us all the information and kept us calm.”

Ambulance crews arrived soon after, and took Abigail to Carmarthen’s Glangwili General Hospital, where she was treated for shock before being discharged the following day.

Abigail said: “The whole thing was petrifying because I just never expected to be having the baby at home, but we’re so grateful to Chris for helping us to deliver Arabella safely.”

Chris added: “In your role as a 999 call handler, you’re helping people in their darkest hour, but I’m just glad this call had a happy ending.

“This is the third baby I’ve helped to deliver during my time at the ambulance service, but the first one I’ve had the pleasure of meeting.”

Continue Reading


Covid causes partial school closure at Haverfordwest High VC



A PARTIAL school closure is in force today at Haverfordwest High VC school after a pupil in year 9 has tested positive for coronavirus.

All students in year 9 must stay at home , isolate and await further instruction while the school completes all of the necessary Track and Trace processes.

In a statement released by the school, they said: “We have been informed that a Year 9 pupil has tested positive for COVID-19.

“We wish them a speedy recovery.

“As a precautionary measure and to enable us to complete all of the necessary Track and Trace processes, the school will be closed to Year 9 Pupils today.

“The school remains open to all other year groups.

“Until further notice, Year 9 students should stay at home and isolate until further instructions are given. Lessons for all other year groups will continue as usual. Unless your child is in Year 9 they should attend school.”

Continue Reading
News8 hours ago

Pembroke Dock: Two in hospital following Fort Road car accident

EMERGENCY SERVICES dealt with what has been described by a witness as a “horrific car accident” in the Pembroke Dock...

News1 day ago

Two years jail for violent attack at Withybush Industrial Estate

A MAN who sent threatening messages and photos of knives before launching a violent attack has been jailed for over...

News1 day ago

Three kayakers assisted by St Davids inshore lifeboat crew

WHILST on exercise, Tuesday (June 22), St Davids In-shore Lifeboat was tasked by the coastguard at 3:15pm to assist three...

Business2 days ago

Green hydrogen electrolyser and car refueler arrive at Milford Waterfront

PEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL says it is leading the way in renewable energy with a collaborative £4.5 million project exploring the vital...

News2 days ago

Council’s building maintenance teams to resume non-emergency responsive repairs

THE HOUSING Building Maintenance teams within Pembrokeshire County Council are now able to re-commence non-emergency responsive repairs to customers’ homes...

News2 days ago

NHS Wales announce first and second dose vaccination walk-in clinics

HYWEL DDA UHB is running walk-in vaccination clinics this week. There is no need to contact the health board to...

News3 days ago

Residents urged to be alert to Covid-19 symptoms following cluster of cases

PUBLIC HEALTH WALES, Pembrokeshire County Council and Hywel Dda University Health Board are urging members of the public to be...

News3 days ago

Paul Davies submits views to Health Board Consultation

Senedd Member Paul Davies has fed his views into Hywel Dda University Health Board’s consultation, “Building a Healthier Future after...

News4 days ago

Reminder from Pembrokeshire Coast National Park to pre-book for attractions

MEMBERS of the public are being reminded to pre-book their entry tickets before visiting two popular National Park Authority-run attractions....

News4 days ago

Haverfordwest and Cardigan high streets listed as among the ten worst in Britain

TWO west Wales high streets have been listed in a UK wide report detailing Britain’s worst high streets. In the...

Popular This Week