Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Councillor urges public to create ‘holy hell’

Published

on

Raising awareness: Cllrs Michael Williams, Jonathan Preston, and Jacob Williams

Raising awareness: Cllrs Michael
Williams, Jonathan Preston, and
Jacob Williams

RESIDENTS in the south-east of the county are being urged to attend a public meeting on Monday night over the future of the Tenby Library and Learning Centre.

Cllrs Michael Williams (Tenby North) Jonathan Preston (Penally) and Jacob Williams (East Williamston) say it’s vital that users of the building speak out and let the council know just how important this facility is for Tenby and the surrounding area.

The three, photographed outside County Hall, are due to attend a presentation to members by council officers at the authority’s Haverfordwest headquarters this afternoon (Friday) ahead of Monday night’s public meeting in Tenby.

Two separate public consultation meetings were held earlier in the summer over the future of the library and adult education classes, which, along with the youth club are services delivered at the town’s former Greenhill Grammar School.

The public consultation process followed a highly controversial decision taken by the county council’s cabinet earlier this year to close Tenby learning centre from August 2016, without having undertaken any consultation whatsoever.

In February Cllr Jacob Williams set about halting the cabinet’s decision and referred it to a council committee for further scrutiny. Cllr Preston co-signed Cllr. Williams’ demand along with Cllrs Viv Stoddart (Milford Hubberston) Tessa Hodgson (Lamphey) and Peter Stock (Haverfordwest Portfield.)

Following further scrutiny of the cabinet’s decision it was agreed that Fishguard and Pembroke Dock learning centres – which were due to be closed down last month – would be given at least a year’s reprieve, and that further consultation would take place with the public in the interim over all planned closures, including that of the Haverfordwest centre.

Speaking to the Herald, Cllr Jacob Williams said: “For many years the authorities have looked into relocating the Tenby library but nowhere suitable has yet been found. It’s clear to me that the cabinet tried to slip in a decision to close Tenby’s learning centre – which uses the bulk of the building – hoping nobody would notice. If the learning centre closes it’s obvious the library will be in jeopardy, so it’s vital that users express their feelings. The council has a ruthless streak and a lack of compassion, and I have no doubt that both the library and learning centre will be closed down and the listed building will be sold off to a hotel or housing developer if users don’t create holy hell.”

Cllr Preston told us: “I understand cuts are coming and the ways services are delivered are changing, but I’m adamant that the library needs to remain central. It is currently in a convenient location for its users. One proposal would see it relocated to the leisure centre site but I don’t think that’s appropriate. It would also remove yet another important service away from the town which wouldn’t be fair.”

The public meeting, arranged by PCC, will be held in the main hall at Tenby’s Library and Learning Centre, at 7.30pm on Monday September 14.

Continue Reading
2 Comments

2 Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News

County lines intensification week sees drug supply disrupted into west Wales

Published

on

Officers from Dyfed-Powys Police carried out 11 raids during a week of action tackling county lines drug gangs.

COUNTY LINES intensification week (Monday, 11 October to Sunday, 17 October) saw officers carry out warrants, intercepting vehicles potentially involved in the supply of drugs, and working with partners to raise awareness of drug-related crime.

Seventeen people were arrested during the week, with crack cocaine (0.8grams), heroin (77g) and cocaine (6g) seized.

The value of those drugs is estimated to be around £4,500, while officers seized £6,500 under the Proceeds of Crime Act.

Also seized were an extendable baton and an ammunition magazine.

Temporary Detective Chief Inspector Andrew Cotterell said: “The county lines intensification week was successful for Dyfed-Powys Police, and we had a number of excellent results thanks to the proactive work of officers and police staff across the four divisions.”

As well as the front-line warrants and police work, a lot went on behind the scenes, leading to:

  • More than 2,000 people educated about County Lines and exploitation during the intensification week in the community and partner agencies.
  • Some 50 letting agencies/estate agents educated about the dangers of criminality, such as County lines activity in rented properties.
  • More than 150 businesses educated about county lines, with an emphasis on those who provide mobile top-up services and the use of ‘burner phones’.
  • 50 ‘at-risk’ or vulnerable children, young people and adults received targeted safeguarding support on a 1-2-1 basis and in group settings.

DCI Cotterell added: “Few people are aware of the amount of work that goes on behind the scenes to support victims, or the measures we put in place to stop people from becoming repeat victims of drug-related crime.”

“It is very important to us as a force that while we act on all new intelligence to disrupt county lines, we also take a victim-oriented approach to working with those affected by these gangs to protect them from becoming repeat victims.”

Continue Reading

News

Pembroke Dock: Pensioner sentenced to 20 years for child sex offences

Published

on

A PENSIONER from Pembroke Dock has been given an extended sentence of 20 years in prison with a further year on licence after being found guilty of historical rape of a child in the 1980s.

Barry Lake, aged 70, was sentenced at Swansea Crown Court today (22 October) having been found guilty of 10 counts of rape of a child and two charges of gross indecency with a child last month.

Lake, now of Newton-le-Willows in St Helens, had denied all 12 charges relating to offences between January 1986 and January 1989.

Lake was first questioned by Dyfed-Powys Police in April 2020 in what would become an intensive and complex investigation.

Investigating officer DC Claire Lewis said: “Lake denied all charges, putting his victim through the ordeal of a trial.

“As they have done throughout the investigation, they showed great courage and dignity in the face of adversity to help us convict their abuser.

“This was a long and intensive investigation with a lot of work to achieve this outcome today.

“This sentence shows that it doesn’t matter how long ago a victim has suffered sexual abuse, we as police are here to listen and take seriously any person who has suffered any form of sexual abuse albeit a day or 35 years after.

“Please do not be scared to come forward, we are here to listen to you.

“Once again, I would like to commend the victim for their bravery for coming forward and achieving this outcome today.”

After serving 20 years in prison Lake will serve another year on licence.

He was also ordered to sign the Sex Offender Register indefinitely and made the subject of a Sexual Harm Prevention Order.

Continue Reading

News

Civil Aviation Authority launches #ShotOnMyDrone competition

Published

on

THE UK Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) has launched a new photography campaign and competition – #ShotOnMyDrone – to both highlight the amazing images that drones can produce and educate people around using drones safely and responsibly while exploring the UK’s beautiful towns, cities, and countryside.

The competition will run until 31 January 2022 and provides a platform for UK drone users to display their skills. From a safety perspective it is designed to raise awareness of the rules and permissions required to fly a drone and that these vary from the countryside to built-up areas.

Wherever in the UK the participants choose to take their potentially winning competition shot, all entrants to #ShotOnMyDrone must comply with the CAA’s Drone and Model Aircraft Code. This law and advice covers everything users need to know on how to make their flight safe and legal, including how to register as a drone operator and get a UK drone Flyer ID. The competition categories include; urban night, urban day and countryside, for which drone users must have varying levels of approval to enter, with tighter restrictions around flying in built up areas.

First prize in the competition is a DJI Mavic Air drone. Other prizes included special backpacks designed to carry drones from Thinktank and Torvol. The winners in each category will have their images placed on display at the prestigious London headquarters of the UK Royal Aeronautical Society. A selection of the images will also be featured in the Society’s Aerospace magazine.  

Drone use continues to grow, with over 300,000 registered drone and model aircraft users in the UK. New research by the CAA of UK adults revealed that 20% of drone users and half of the general public are unaware that CAA approval is needed to fly a drone in a town or city in most cases.

The survey also showed that two-thirds of drone users would be looking take their ideal drone photo in the countryside, followed in popularity by city centres and then towns and cities. Of those who would prefer to take their photo in the countryside, almost a third (31%) would choose to take the shot over hills or mountains. Over a quarter (28%) would prefer the coast, while one-fifth (19%) would do so at a lake or river. As many as 12% would use the drone to take a photo of a historic building/monument, with 10% opting to photograph a forest or woods.

Drone users can enter the competition at caa-dronecomp.uk. The site will also host entries as they come in to enable anyone to see the images submitted. The highly anticipated competition will be judged by a panel of experts including CAA Chair and keen photographer Sir Stephen Hillier; Anna Henly an award-winning professional photographer; drone pilot and photography tutor; CAA drone inspector and BAFTA award winner John Livesey; and Tim Robinson, from the Royal Aeronautical Society.

A separate award will be given by UK air traffic control provider NATS which will be polling all its colleagues to decide their favourite image. 

Jonathan Nicholson, Assistant Director of Communications at the UK Civil Aviation Authority, said: “The launch of #ShotOnMyDrone aims to showcase some of the stunning images that UK drone users take while also reminding everyone that whether they’re flying in a town, city, or the countryside, they must comply with our Dronecode and stay safe when flying a drone.”

#ShotOnMyDrone follows the success of CAA’s 400ft Britain drone photography competition in 2017 which received over 1,200 individual submissions from across the UK including James Farley’s winning image of the lighthouse at Point of Ayr in North Wales, captured below 400ft (120m) – the Dronecode limit at which drones can be flown in the UK.

The competitions form part of a wider initiative looking at establishing a safe and responsible attitude toward drone flying to protect the safety of the wider aviation industry and the future success of drones.

To enter the competition, simply visit the competition website caa-dronecomp.uk. Entries close on January 31 2022. The competition terms and conditions can be read here.

For more information on drone safety and the laws covering drone flying please go to www.caa.co.uk/drones

Continue Reading

HERALD SPECIAL REPORT

News15 hours ago

County lines intensification week sees drug supply disrupted into west Wales

Officers from Dyfed-Powys Police carried out 11 raids during a week of action tackling county lines drug gangs. COUNTY LINES...

News18 hours ago

Pembroke Dock: Pensioner sentenced to 20 years for child sex offences

A PENSIONER from Pembroke Dock has been given an extended sentence of 20 years in prison with a further year...

News23 hours ago

Civil Aviation Authority launches #ShotOnMyDrone competition

THE UK Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) has launched a new photography campaign and competition – #ShotOnMyDrone – to both highlight the amazing images that...

News1 day ago

Police appeal following burglary in Bunkers Hill, Milford Haven

POLICE in Milford Haven are investigating a burglary which occurred sometime between September 24 and October 4 in Bunkers Hill,...

Health1 day ago

Ombudsman slates Health Board

HYWEL DDA UHB failed a mother and son when it abruptly ended support services for individuals with long-term needs. The...

News1 day ago

Milford Haven ‘Seal Hospital’ demolished

A FORMER storage tank that was used for 17 years as a hospital for Seals was demolished yesterday (Thursday, Oct...

News1 day ago

Leaflet to calm fears over A&E downgrade

Health board will explain how to get urgent care for children, as local NHS continues to be under extreme pressure...

News1 day ago

Council in email data protection blunder

A ‘HUMAN ERROR’ is being blamed for a recent data protection blunder at Pembrokeshire County Council after an email which...

News2 days ago

Unprecedented demand on health and social care services in local area

Joint statement by Hywel Dda University Health Board, the Welsh Ambulance Service NHS Trust, Pembrokeshire County Council, Carmarthenshire County Council...

News2 days ago

Child taken to hospital following collision with car outside school

AN EARLY morning collision outside Ysgol Harri Tudor school, Pembroke, has seen a child taken to hospital. The collision happened...

Popular This Week