Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Fijian father will return to work after immigration struggle

Published

on

Over the moon: Sam is delighted he can go back to work

A FORMER British Soldier, whose family life in Pembrokeshire was at risk after he was refused a citizenship visa by the Home Office, has been given a lifeline thanks to MP Stephen Crabb.

Sam Cataki, who is 36 and was born in Fiji, has been told that he can return to work.

He has previously served in the British Army for 12 years and was based at Colchester, Nottingham and Brawdy in 2007, before moving back to Neyland in 2014.

He is a father of two children, Mesake, 5, and Jared, 1, but was told that he could no longer work in the UK legally despite having lived and worked in the country since being recruited by the army age 20.

However, on Monday, MP Stephen Crabb released a statement saying: “After speaking with Sam on Friday (Jun 23), I briefed the Immigration Minister Brandon Lewis, and this morning (Jun 26) I was very pleased to hear from the Home Office that Sam is allowed to return to work, and that his application to remain in the United Kingdom is being treated with urgency.

“This is very good news for Sam, his family and the people of Neyland and who have shown strong support for him. Hopefully the whole matter will be resolved shortly.”

Sam plays rugby in Neyland and his team mates, friends and family have all come out in support of Sam by calling on the Home Office to grant his visa.

He has worked for Milford Haven Port Authority as a search team operative at Pembroke Dock port since November 2014 and he says he really enjoys his job. Sam’s wife Seini also works at a nearby nursing home.

Each time they apply for a citizenship visa they have to pay between £800 and £1200.

MP Crabb helped him when he returned to Pembrokeshire from North Yorkshire and Sam said that his wife has also been affected as her citizenship visa was rejected as well.

A petition was also set up in support of Sam and his family which already has nearly 30,000 signatures.

Mayor of Neyland, Cllr Simon Hancock said: “Sam is strongly supported by the community of Neyland. His service and loyalty to our country means he has earned British citizenship. He is a great asset to our town and we want the Home Office to recognize that.”

Speaking to the Herald, Sam said this was the second time that this had happened and that he was waiting for the outcome of his application which is open until December 23, but could be sorted before that time.

He added: “If I came illegally, I would say. But I came here in 2002 from Fiji when I was recruited to join the army.

“I served until I left in 2014 and before I left I applied for citizenship. One of the criteria is that you have to have been living here for five years.

“All I had was three points on my driving licence but I was told I couldn’t attend a speed awareness course because I had just come out of rehab after a knee operation.

“In February, I was told my application was void. I thought ‘how is my application inappropriate?’

“I am really grateful for the amount of support I have received over the last few days from the people of Neyland, Milford Haven and across Pembrokeshire, even from England. The support is tremendous, I can’t thank them enough.”

He went on to say: “I hope they change the way they do things. Being in the armed forces speaks for itself. If they can do it now, it will help those who are still in the forces.”

Community

Local firefighters to run search and rescue training exercise ‘High & Dry’

Published

on

MID and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service (MAWWFRS) will be carrying out a realistic Search and Rescue training exercise on Monday (Apr 7), aimed at enhancing emergency response capabilities.

The exercise, named ‘High & Dry’, will take place between 6:30pm and 8:30pm at Crown Buildings, Church Street, Llanelli. The session will allow crews to practise specialist rescue techniques, including Rescue from Height using the Turntable Ladder.

To ensure a lifelike environment, synthetic smoke will be used during the training. Members of the public may notice smoke escaping from windows and doors, or see emergency vehicles and personnel at the scene. The fire service is reassuring residents that there is no cause for concern.

Watch Manager Gavin Wilkins said: “It’s vital to utilise real buildings as it provides a realistic environment and opportunity to prepare our crews to effectively deal with incidents of this nature. We would like to thank the owners of Crown Buildings in Llanelli for the use of the premises for this exercise.”

The service also thanked the public for their cooperation and understanding while crews undertake this important training.

Continue Reading

Crime

Fined for dropping cigarette at Milford Haven Tesco

Published

on

A LLANELLI man who dropped a cigarette outside Tesco in Milford Haven has been fined over £570 after failing to attend court.

Mark Evens, aged 42, of Llys Westfa, Llanelli, was found guilty in his absence at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (Apr 3).

The court heard that on September 3, 2024, Evens discarded a cigarette butt in a public place to which section 87 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 applied.

He was fined £220 and ordered to pay a victim surcharge of £88 and prosecution costs of £266.66. A collection order was made, and the full balance of £574.66 must be paid by May 1.

Continue Reading

Crime

Court adjourns marine enforcement case

Published

on

A SWANSEA man failed to appear in court after being accused of refusing to comply with a marine enforcement officer.

Ieuan Rhys Davies, aged 29, of Seaview Terrace, Penclawdd, is accused of failing to stop his vessel when directed by Marine Enforcement Officer Matthew Dawkins on June 6, 2024.

The case, brought under the Marine and Coastal Access Act 2009, was adjourned until May 1 at 2:00pm.

Magistrates have ordered that Davies must attend the next hearing or risk a warrant being issued for his arrest.

Continue Reading

Charity9 hours ago

Royal visit celebrates Pembrokeshire charity’s community impact

STAFF, volunteers and visiting pupils at Lower Treginnis Farm were delighted to welcome a very special guest on Wednesday (April...

Business21 hours ago

Valero refinery escapes Trump’s new tariffs

Fuel imports spared as US tries to avoid price hikes THE VALERO oil refinery in Pembroke has escaped the impact...

Crime1 day ago

Leaked messages point to leadership crisis at HMP Parc

Staff mocked suicide and bragged about assaults as G4S failed to intervene A CULTURE of violence, cruelty and neglect flourished...

News1 day ago

Cleddau Bridge Hotel site housing development takes a step forward

CASTELL GROUP, in partnership with Pembrokeshire County Council, have completed the sale for the redevelopment of the former Cleddau Bridge...

Business1 day ago

Pembrokeshire Council rules out ‘toxic tourism tax’ – for now

VISITORS to Pembrokeshire will not face a new overnight tourism tax—at least not during the current county council administration. As...

News2 days ago

Shellfish gathering labelled ‘out of control’ in Saundersfoot

COUNCILLOR DEMANDS ACTION AS 250 COCKLE PICKERS DESCEND ON LOCAL BEACH ANGER is growing in Saundersfoot after more than 200...

Crime2 days ago

In court charged with intentional strangulation of woman

A PEMBROKESHIRE man is to appear before a Crown Court judge for trial charged with the intentional strangulation of a...

Crime2 days ago

Leaked messages reveal shocking culture at HMP Parc amid misconduct probe

The facility houses many prisoners from Pembrokeshire, and is the largest jail in Wales A SERIES of leaked messages obtained...

Business2 days ago

SpaceX eyes Milford Haven for new UK facility

Talks underway for rocket factory at former Black Bridge armament depot SPACE-X, the aerospace company founded by billionaire Elon Musk,...

Crime3 days ago

Victims praised as 1980s child rapist jailed for 16 years

A POLICE detective has praised the “immense strength” of two survivors of child sexual abuse after their attacker was finally...

Popular This Week