News
Councillors query budget
LAST THURSDAY’S full council meeting discussed the budget for 2014/15.
On top of everybody’s minds were the effects still being felt by the recent storms that have battered the county in the first few months of this year.
Many councillors took the time to thank workers for their efforts during the clean-up period. Querying the budget, councillors had questions about the roads, tourism, care services and fees and charges. At the start of the debate, discussions resolved around the budget for Highways and Transportation.
Concerns were expressed that the budget for this service had dropped by almost £1.8m from the previous year.
Former Council leader, Councillor John Davies said: “Our carriageways have taken a consistent battering because heavy rain leaves its toll and whether we like it or not, the way we maintain our carriageways is important to maintaining the living and breathing assets of our roads”.
Cllr Michael John added: “The roads are getting particularly poor in some areas”.
Cllr Jacob Williams then also gave his views on the matter: “The budget for the highways really concerns me; by and large the county’s roads are really good. Repairs that are made are done timely, so I think to cut the budget by such a large amount and we need to be careful about that. The roads are so important to such a rural county”.
Councillors then discussed how the Council could encourage economic growth with Pembrokeshire.
Cllr Peter Stock: “It’s important for us to be talking about the quality of services that this county is going to provide. We’re spending money, we’re looking at the future, and the one thing that I do feel we lack on is planning with a vision for the future of our town centres. I do believe we are lagging behind on that. A vision is important. The Welsh Government has said ‘The local authority will have a clear vision of the role and functions of the town centres within their control’.”
Cllr Mike Evans said: “We’re obviously in difficult times as a county. We must use the LDP to help and not hinder local businesses and also to allow growth where there is local need through building”.
Speaking about social care services, Councillor Rhys Sinnett said: “The people are important too. Whilst we are supportive of most of the cost savings proposed within this budget, it’s only right that we raise concerns about how those within the adult social care budget lines will be implemented. At the moment we are being asked to agree these changes without really having the details of how they are going to impact upon some of the most vulnerable in our community. If we do accept this it would have to be with the full assurance of the leader that the outcomes of these consultations will be referred to the relevant committees for their consideration”.
Members then gave their responses to some of the questions that had been raised.
Cllr David Simpson said: “In the past 12 months we have been awarded the Welsh Housing quality standard, we’re one of only three authorities in Wales that actually attained it on time and within the budget and I think that is a tremendous achievement”.
Cllr David Pugh added: “To maintain the level of commitment, we’re now working closely with communities first and we have a better working relationship with planning powers and Pembrokeshire College to deliver these some of these services so although there is a significant cost reduction to the council, the amount of grant that we hope to get is still the same”.
Cllr Pugh went on to say: “Tourism is being taken very seriously and it is a major part of the economy in Pembrokeshire”.
Cllr Sue Perkins said: “We have now got a full complement of social workers. We always need to be careful but in the future we need to carry on working to build on this and to retain our staff; we have to always be on our guard”.
Speaking about leisure facilities, Cllr Elwyn Morse said: “I would always take up the opportunity to improve leisure facilities. I am pleased to report that the cultural services of sport and leisure are committed to continuing the delivery of these valuable services despite having to make cost reduction within their operating budgets”.
Cllr Rob Lewis added: “We have had to take some of these decisions in a very short space of time. We have suffered from cuts in Welsh Government support for the bus service but we have carried out a substantial review with bus users as to how we will move forward in the future. The feedback is that residents would rather have some service than no service at all.”
Cllr Jamie Adams said: “This council, since its inception, has not increased the charges on the Cleddau Bridge.
“With regards to pay and display and car parking, I have been to Ceredigion and Carmarthenshire where I was shocked to be shelling out the sort of sums to park in the high streets of those two counties. I give the assurance that fees and charges in Pembrokeshire are considerably lower than others.
“I give the absolute assurance that any changes to adult social care provisions will be the subject of full equalities impact assessments”.
News
Cadw invites families to step into West Wales history this half-term
STRATA Florida Abbey and Laugharne Castle will host family events as part of Cadw’s May half-term programme.
FAMILIES in West Wales are being encouraged to explore historic sites on their doorstep this May half-term, with events planned at Strata Florida Abbey and Laugharne Castle.
Cadw’s programme runs from Saturday, May 23 to Sunday, May 31, with activities across Wales aimed at bringing history to life for children and families.
At Strata Florida Abbey, near Pontrhydfendigaid, a craft fayre will take place on Sunday, May 24, from 11:00am to 3:00pm, featuring local arts, crafts and produce, alongside family-friendly activities and guided tours.
Laugharne Castle will host Rainbow Gecko Bubbleman on Saturday, May 30 and Sunday, May 31, from 11:00am to 4:00pm. Bubbleman and the Bubble Faerie will perform giant bubble displays, bubble animals and frozen creations, with visitors able to join in and learn tricks.
Other West Wales events include a Children’s Activity Day at Strata Florida Abbey and HMS Wales Naval Living History at Laugharne Castle.
Kate Roberts, Chief Executive of Cadw said: “May half term is the perfect chance for families to get out and explore the incredible history on their doorstep in Wales.
“This year’s programme has been designed to be hands-on, engaging and genuinely fun, giving visitors of all ages the chance to connect our nation’s past and spend quality time together outdoors.”
Cadw said membership includes free event entry and unlimited access to more than 130 historic places across Wales, with children going free with any adult membership.
Business
Mayor opens new Sapphire showroom in Milford Haven
New Charles Street base brings windows and doors firm closer to Pembrokeshire customers
THE MAYOR OF MILFORD HAVEN has officially opened a new showroom for Sapphire Windows & Doors in the town centre.

The company welcomed visitors to its new base at 61 Charles Street on Monday (May 18), with Mayor Mark Woodward attending the opening.
Sapphire Windows & Doors, established in 1989, supplies and installs windows, doors and glazing products across South and West Wales.
The new Milford Haven showroom has been opened following growing demand from customers in Pembrokeshire, many of whom had previously travelled to the company’s Ammanford showroom.
The Charles Street premises will allow customers to view products in person, compare colours and finishes, try different styles, and speak directly with the Sapphire team.
Products on display include uPVC windows, composite and aluminium entrance doors, aluminium sliding and bifold systems, and internal and external Crittall-style aluminium and steel doors.
Shaun Matthews, Director of Sapphire Windows & Doors said: “We are incredibly excited to open our new Milford Haven showroom and welcome both returning and new customers through the doors.
“We have already received such a lovely welcome on Charles Street, and we are looking forward to becoming part of the local community.

“When people are investing in new windows and doors, it is important they feel confident in what they are choosing. The showroom gives customers the opportunity to properly see the products, explore the options available, try them for themselves and receive clear, honest advice from our team.”
The company manufactures its own uPVC products in-house at its factory in Ammanford, while installations are carried out by directly employed fitting teams.
Sapphire says it offers free, no-obligation quotes and takes a no-pressure approach to sales.
Every installation is backed by a ten-year guarantee and a FENSA insurance-backed warranty.
The new showroom is now open at 61 Charles Street, Milford Haven, SA73 1SA.
For more information visit sapphirewindows.info.
Community
Cardigan family’s urgent appeal after father suffers devastating stroke
Former pilot left unable to speak or swallow after collapsing while mowing lawn
A CARDIGAN family has launched an urgent appeal for help after a 72-year-old father suffered a massive stroke while mowing his garden, leaving him unable to speak, swallow or move the right side of his body.
Les Bell collapsed on Monday, May 11, after suffering what doctors described as an intracerebral haemorrhage (ICH) – a serious form of haemorrhagic stroke caused by bleeding in the brain.
His daughter, Jessica Grieve, said the bleed was extensive and that her father remains in a critical condition on an acute stroke ward.
The former pilot, who now works as a flight training consultant at Gatwick Airport, is currently being fed through a tube and can only communicate through eye contact, small nods and grunts.
Jessica said: “Dad has lost the right-hand side of his body, has to be tube fed as he’s not conscious enough to perform a swallow test, although it would seem the muscles on the right side of his throat aren’t working.
“He can’t talk. He can only communicate with brief eye contact, small nods and grunts.”
She added that doctors are still unable to predict her father’s long-term prognosis.
“We don’t know the prognosis, only time will tell, but he is in a critical condition and it’s likely to remain that way for some months,” she said.
The family is now facing a financial crisis after Les, who was the main income earner, became suddenly incapacitated.
Jessica said her father managed all household finances, while her mother is unable to work due to disabilities and her brother, Jake, is still suffering the effects of cancer treatment and cannot work full-time.
She is now applying for lasting power of attorney in order to access her father’s bank accounts, but said the process could take up to ten weeks.
In the meantime, the family say they are struggling to pay rent, bills and other essential costs.
Jessica has launched a GoFundMe appeal to support the family during the coming months.
She said: “I’m asking for donations of any kind to help them pay for the urgent bills while we’re waiting for other benefits and LPA to begin.
“If we can get them through the next couple of months we’d be so, so grateful.”
Anyone wishing can visit the GoFundMe page here: Help for the Family of Les Bell.
Photo caption:
Family by his side: Les Bell in hospital after suffering a devastating stroke while mowing the garden (Pic: GoFundMe).
-
News4 days agoPalestine pledge backed by 36 new Senedd Members
-
Crime6 days agoTeenager banned from roads after being caught six times over drug-drive limit
-
Community3 days agoSurfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach
-
Crime6 days agoMan threatens to torch Silverdale Lodge through ‘demon drink’, court hears
-
Crime6 days agoMan sentenced for stalking women and threatening to torch home
-
Crime6 days agoViolent man jailed after ‘Banksy’ claims and campaign of domestic abuse
-
Crime6 days agoMan denies exposure in Pembrokeshire town
-
Crime6 days agoDrunk motorist arrested at Pembrokeshire petrol station








