Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Toilets ‘smashed to pieces’ as council vows to crack down on vandals

Published

on

PEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL has vowed to crack down on acts of vandalism in the county and is asking the public to help.

It comes after damage was caused to toilet facilities in Marine Road Broad Haven and the multi-storey Car Park in Haverfordwest between December 7-10.

The damage caused to the cubicle in Haverfordwest was so severe it has been temporarily shut, however two cubicles can still be used while the required maintenance is carried out.

Fortunately, Danfo, maintenance contractors of public conveniences in Pembrokeshire, were able to re-open the facility in Broad Haven swiftly.

The incident at the multi-storey occurred between 5pm on Thursday, December 7, and 7am on Friday, December 8, while damage at Broad Haven happened between 1pm on Sunday, December 10 and 11am on Monday, December 11.

On both occasions the toilets were smashed to pieces.

“Sadly, these acts are not uncommon,” said Pembrokeshire County Council Cabinet member for the Environment and Welsh Language Councillor, Cris Tomos.

“It is clear that whoever is doing this is doing it for the sole purpose of causing damage for damage sake. It is mindboggling why someone would want to do that.

“The damage is such that I assume they are using something like a sledgehammer to do it and if anyone has seen or heard anything, I’d urge them to get in touch with us so we can work with the Police to follow it up.

“It is mindless, stupid and causes a risk to the public.”

Damage caused to public conveniences in Pembrokeshire amounts to thousands of pounds a year and the Authority has been forced to board up the facility at Gelliswick in Milford Haven due to a spate of recent attacks.

Danfo regularly have to clean up facilities across Pembrokeshire after vandals kick doors off hinges, rip toilet paper holders from fixings, fill toilet pans with pebbles and mud while used toilet paper is often strewn over walls.

“These people are causing a risk to the health of the public and costing us money that we can ill afford to spend at a time when budgets are stretched,” added Cllr Tomos.

“We cannot and will not allow them to get away with it.”

News

Conservatives hold on to Carmarthen West and South Pembrokeshire seat

Published

on

THE CONSERVATIVES have held on to their Carmarthen West and South Pembrokeshire seat despite Labour closing the gap.

Sam Kurtz will take over the seat from the outgoing Angela Burns who held a majority of 3,400 at the last election.

This time, the gap was just 936 to Labour’s Hassan Riaz who picked up 10,304 votes.

Plaid Cymru’s Cefin Campbell picked up 6,615 votes.

The turnout in Carmarthen West and South Pembrokeshire was slightly up to 52.12% from 51.2% in 2016.

However, with a larger electorate thanks to votes for 16/17-year-olds, the number of votes cast went up by almost 3,000.

Continue Reading

News

Paul Davies re-elected as Conservatives hold Preseli Pembrokeshire

Published

on

PAUL DAVIES has been re-elected to represent the Preseli Pembrokeshire constituency.

He won with 12,295 votes, while there were 10,895 votes for Labour’s Jackie Jones.

Plaid Cymru candidate Cris Tomos gained just over 6,000 votes and there were also 1,239 for Reform UK candidate Alan Dennison.

There were over 3000 more votes cast in 2016, down largely in part to the fact that 16 and 17 year olds were able to vote in this election.

Both the Conservatives and Labour received more votes than before while the gap to Labour closed to just 1,400.

After being elected, Paul Davies said he would continue to ‘fight for Pembrokeshire’ and thanked those who had been involved in his campaign.

Continue Reading

News

Former Cardigan Castle director sentencing delayed

Published

on

THE SENTENCING of a former director of Cardigan Castle who has pleaded guilty to charges of fraud and theft totalling over £40,000 has been delayed.

Former director, Jac Davies, pleaded guilty to charges of fraud and theft was due to be sentenced on Wednesday (May 4) at Swansea Crown Court – but has now been delayed.

Davies who held the £40,000 a year post fraudulently obtained £33,098.75 and stole a further £7,932.97 from the award winning restoration project..

Davies held his position at Cardigan Castle from September 2017 to November 2019.

The defendant has pleaded guilty to fraudulently obtaining £4,143.20 from the castle on December 21, 2017.

Again Davies admitted to fraudulently obtaining £28,955.55 between February 4, 2019 and November 3, 2019.

Two further charges of theft were also admitted – one charge of  theft from the castle of £1,908.18 between May 2, 2018 and May 24, 2019 and a further charge of theft from Cardigan Castle Enterprises to the sum of £6,024.79.

Dyfed-Powys Police conducted a year long investigation after being contacted by the castle board of directors.

Financial discrepancies were identified during financial monitoring.

An internal investigation was launched and Davies left his position within the castle in October 2019 following a disciplinary process.

Continue Reading
News7 hours ago

Dyfed-Powys Police criticised for failing to record thousands of crimes

A SHOCKING new report says that Dyfed-Powys Police failed to record thousands of crimes, despite being told to improve two-and-a-half...

News1 day ago

Milford Haven: Mount estate death not being treated as suspicious say police

POLICE have confirmed that following a welfare visit to a property in Mount Estate, they discovered a male occupant, in...

Politics1 day ago

Pembrokeshire heads to the polls

THE ELECTIONS to the Welsh Parliament/Senedd Cymru take place today, Thursday (May 6). Over the last few weeks, we’ve published...

News1 day ago

Milford Haven: Man arrested following suspicious flat fire in Robert Street

DYFED-POWYS POLICE have confirmed that the force is investigating a fire which occurred at a property in Lower Robert Street,...

News2 days ago

Ongoing incident closes busy Haverfordwest road

A MAJOR road in Haverfordwest has been closed due to a police incident this afternoon (May 5) A man was...

News3 days ago

James Oulton found not guilty of 30 counts of sexual assault against 11 ex-pupils

JAMES OULTON, 34, the primary school teacher who was accused of 30 charges of sexual assault against pupils has been found...

News3 days ago

Nineteen arrests and weapons seized during knife crime action week

NINETEEN people were arrested and a number of weapons were seized as police took part in a national week of...

News3 days ago

Haverfordwest: Police investigate alleged assault, one man arrested and bailed

POLICE officers in Haverfordwest are investigating an incident where a woman was reportedly assaulted. The alleged attack took place at...

News4 days ago

Fisherman off Pembrokeshire coast airlifted to hospital with burn injuries

A FISHERMAN has been airlifted to hospital with second degree burns after suffering an injury while on a boat off...

Health4 days ago

Mark Drakeford in Milford Haven as pub tills ring for first weekend since December

As part of the easing of lockdown restrictions, hospitality business owners let out a sigh of relief this week after...

Popular This Week