Connect with us


10-man Ferry stun Bluebirds



HAVERFORDWEST County were beaten 3-2 by 10-man Briton Ferry Llansawel this evening (Feb 2) as a goal from Scott Tomlinson sealed victory in an entertaining game at the Bridge Meadow.

A good crowd gathered to watch the game but they saw the Bluebirds make a slow start and the visitors could have been ahead in the third minute.

Steve Hughes cut inside the defender but saw his shot blocked only for the ball to then be fizzed across goal for  Tyler Brock who saw his shot saved by County keeper Conah McFenton.

From the resulting corner Gareth Jones rose highest to head into the top left corner to give his side a deserved lead.

Dan Williams was a constant threat for the Bluebirds and he saw a shot go over soon after as the home side started to get back into the game.

Declan Carroll and Williams once more went close before Steffan Williams headed down for Kristian Speake but his shot hit the side netting.

With twenty minutes gone the Bluebirds were rewarded when a free kick from Matthew Broome found Captain Sean Pemberton who headed in unmarked to level the scores.

Dan Williams then ran into the box before cutting back for namesake Steffan but his shot flew over the bar.

Seven minutes before half time, Dan again crossed for Steffan but his shot was saved well by the Briton Ferry keeper.

The visitors weathered the Bluebirds’ storm and it remained 1-1 when the half time whistle went.

Early in the second half, Dan Williams again went close after being put through in what was a good chance for the home side.

They were made to pay for that miss as Briton Ferry launched an attack which saw Tyler Brock cut inside and shoot low under McFenton to put the visitors back into the lead.

On the hour mark, Briton Ferry’s Brock got in the way of a quick free kick and, having already been booked, the referee pulled out a second yellow followed by a red, and Brock was sent for an early bath.

Broome then saw the resultant free kick tipped over the bar by Ferry keeper Luke Probert.

Two minutes later the Bluebirds were level again in spectacular fashion as a cross into the box found Dan Williams, who had beat the offside trap, and he got on the end of it to wonderfully lob the ball into the net.

However, any thoughts the Bluebirds had of going on to win the game were dealt a blow just two minutes later as a ball into the box saw Scott Tomlinson also beat the offside trap and head the ball past McFenton to give Briton Ferry the lead for a third time.

McFenton was then lucky as his clearance was charged down by a Briton Ferry player but the ball deflected to a Blue shirt.

Kristian Speake went close again as his deflected shot from the edge of the box was well tipped round the post by the keeper.

Joe Leahy saw a late shot blocked as the Bluebirds piled on the pressure looking for a late equaliser that never came.

The Ferry were content to keep the ball in the corner and after a lengthy injury time the referee brought an end to the match.

Defeat for the Bluebirds is just their second of the season and means they missed the chance to extend their lead at the top of the Welsh League Division 1 table.

The Bluebirds are next in action on Saturday, February 10, when they travel to Cambrian and Clydach.


Ammanford sign Kurtis Marsh from Lawrenny



LAWRENNY’S Kurtis Marsh will play for Ammanford Cricket Club in the 2022 season after the two clubs agreed a deal.

Marsh was one of Lawrenny’s stand out performers in Division 1 of the Pembrokeshire League this year.

He scored a number of important centuries and fifties as his club just missed out on securing the league title.

In total he scored 1070 runs in 15 innings while his highest score was 140 not out.

He was the Division’s highest scorer by just over 200 runs and was unbeaten in five innings.

On Twitter, Lawrenny Cricket Club said: “Absolutely gutted to lose Kurtis Marsh to Ammanford but he absolutely deserves this opportunity to play at a higher level. An unbelievable player and a top, top bloke. Go and smash it up there Kurt!!”

Marsh will now look forward to testing himself in Division 1 of the South Wales Premier Cricket League.

Continue Reading


Carew and Hakin earn big wins in West Wales Cup



CAREW and Hakin United were big winners on Saturday (Oct 9) as they booked their places in round two of the West Wales Cup.

Carew travelled to Neath Premier Division side Cilfrew Rovers and it didn’t take them long to settle as James Hinchcliffe scored in the opening minute.

Cilfrew’s task became ever harder three minutes later as Adam Muskett scored to put his side in a strong position.

Matthew Evans pulled a goal back for the Rovers after 16 minutes but with five to go until half time Carew scored their third through Sam Christopher.

Muskett and Hinchcliffe scored in quick succession in the second half to all but seal the win for the Rooks.

Goals continued to come as Muskett completed his hat trick before Shaun Whitfield, a Dylan Morgan penalty and two from sub Jack Christopher took Carew’s score into double figures.

Muskett then got his fourth of the game to make it 11-1 to Carew.

Hakin also made the trip to Neath to face Division 1 side Resolven and, like Carew, they did not have to wait long for the first goal of the game.

It came from Justin Harding after four minutes and it was soon 2-0 as Jaden Chapman scored.

Ben Aldred then scored two goals in the space of two minutes, both assisted by Ryan Wilson, to effectively win the game for the visitors.

Harding added his second and Hakin’s fifth shortly before half time.

Twenty minutes into the second half, the Vikings added a sixth as sub Laurie Haworth found the back of the net.

Aldred and Chapman added to the scoring before Shane Walsh scored with three minutes to go to seal a 9-0 win.

Kilgetty bowed out of the competition as they were beaten 4-2 by Giants Grave. St Ishmaels were also sent packing after they were beaten 7-3 by CKSV.

Merlins Bridge’s game away at Treboeth was postponed because of a positive covid-19 case amongst one of the Neath teams’ players.

Continue Reading


Saints go through to round two



ST Clears booked their place in the second round of the West Wales Cup on Saturday (Oct 9) as they beat Llangyfelach 3-0.

The Saints started the game slowly with most of the squad having been at captain Danny Peters’ wedding the day before.

Swansea Senior League Division 2 side Llangyfelach hit the post early on in what was their only real chance of the first half.

The Saints had quite a few chances to take the lead as Steve Thomas hit the bar with a good header from Ben John.

They slowly got on top and and they finally took the lead when the Llangyfelach keeper spilled a corner and Kyran Lewis nodded in from close range.

The second half was tight with more chances coming for the visitors but it was also heated at times with a number of yellow cards shown.

The second goal for the Saints when Nick squire hit a 30 yard effort from outside the box into the top corner, assisted by Martin Thomas.

Shortly before full time, the home side had Michael Matwychuk sent off for an apparent off the ball elbow.

Nick squire scored his second of the game from close range not long after to seal the victory.

The Saints’ reward for their win is a home tie against Felinfoel in the second round.

Continue Reading


News20 hours ago

Nathaniel Nuttal charged over serious assault in Monkton

A 32-YEAR-OLD man who was arrested following a serious assault in Monkton on Wednesday Morning (October 13) has appeared in...

News2 days ago

New video of Haverfordwest High School construction project

A new video has been released of the incredible progress made at Pembrokeshire County Council’s biggest capital project to date. ...

News2 days ago

Monkton man in hospital with serious injuries following early morning assault

A MAN has been taken to hospital with serious injuries following an assault in Monkton on Wednesday Morning (October 13)....

Education3 days ago

Shwmae ‘rocks’ project in the lead-up to Shwmae Day

TO mark Shwmae Day this year, Pembrokeshire County Council and Menter Iaith Sir Benfro have come together to create a...

News3 days ago

“Inspirational” Haverfordwest station retailer celebrates 60 years’ service

A STATION retailer who has clocked up 60 years’ service has been praised as “an inspirational member of the railway...

News4 days ago

Visiting to Withybush Hospital to restart tomorrow for some wards

VISITING to Withybush Hospital will restart tomorrow, Wednesday (Oct 13), however, visiting for wards 10 and 12 will remain restricted at this...

Health4 days ago

A round up of Covid changes to measures and information

FROM Today (Oct 12) Pembrokeshire County Council is urging the public to be vigilant following the important changes to the...

News5 days ago

Neyland: Jason James sentenced to 30 years for rape and abuse of young children

A MAN has been sentenced to 30 years – 22 years in prison with an eight-year extended period on licence –...

Health5 days ago

Hywel Dda Health Board: Visiting restrictions for Withybush Hospital

DUE to increased cases of Covid-19 in hospital and the community, the decision has been made to close Withybush Hospital...

Business5 days ago

Online buyers prefer real-life human help over AI says Currys

Tech buyers in the decade to come will prefer real-life human help to faceless robot retail New look Currys predicts an era...

Popular This Week