Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Haverfordwest drug dealer jailed for more than three years

Published

on

A MAN caught in possession of drugs twice in a month by Dyfed-Powys Police has been jailed for three years and nine months.

Nabil Ali Syed, aged 29, of St Issells Avenue, Merlin’s Bridge, Haverfordwest, pleaded guilty to four counts of possession with intent to supply drugs and two counts of possession when he appeared at Swansea Crown Court on Friday, 31 July.

“This sends a clear message that drug dealing will not be tolerated and when caught you are going to face a lengthy custodial sentence even if you are of a previously clean character, as was the case here,” said Phillip Jones.

Syed was first arrested when he was pulled over after concerns over the manner of his driving on the A40 near St Clears on April 18.

A subsequent search found a quantity of cocaine and other class A, B and C drugs in his possession.

A month later, on 19 May, Syed was stopped while walking in Hawthorn Rise, Haverfordwest, during checks over Covid-19 restrictions, when he was once again searched and found to be in possession of a quantity of cocaine and crack cocaine.

DC Jones added: “This is a positive result. Although he was relatively unknown to police, it is clear he was very active in drug supply in Pembrokeshire.

“We hope this result will send shockwaves to people involved in drug supply in West Wales.”

To report anything suspicious or concerns about the selling and taking of drugs in the community call 101, or report online. To report information anonymously, call the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Continue Reading

News

Work on new council houses starts in Johnston

Published

on

WORK has begun on the first council houses to be built in Pembrokeshire for a generation.

Thirty-three affordable units are being constructed by Pembrokeshire County Council on the site of a former primary school at Cranham Park, Johnston.

They are the first council houses to be built in the County for over 25 years.

Work was held up for a time due to the lock-down but resumed as soon the contractors were able to do so.

The development comprises:

  • 12 one bed flats in three blocks (four flats are identified for assisted living, with communal facilities)
  • seven two-storey two bedroom houses
  • five two-storey three bedroom houses
  • two two-storey four bedroom houses
  • one two-storey five bedroom house
  • four two -bedroom bungalows
  • two bungalows with three or more bedrooms.

The estate also includes parking, open space and associated works.

The Council’s Cabinet Member for Housing, Michelle Bateman, said it was a red-letter day for the Authority.
“The house-building scheme fulfils a pledge made by the Authority’s Cabinet when it took over the administration of the Council in 2017” she explained.
“I am proud and delighted to say that we are now honouring that pledge.”

Councillor Bateman added that other council house-building schemes were lined up for Tudor Place in Tiers Cross and Charles Street, Milford Haven.
The Houses are being built by WRW Construction Limited. As a result of the Covid-19 interruption there has been a slight delay and construction work is now due to finish in December 2021

Continue Reading

News

Local MP seeks answers from Home Secretary over Penally Training Camp plans

Published

on

FOLLOWING the protest which took place at Penally Training Camp, the local member of parliament has said that he is trying to find out the exact details on how the camp will be used, and how long for.

Simon Hart has contacted the Home Secretary, Priti Patel, seeking clarification, he says.

Approximately two hundred people were at the demo at the entrance to the base from 6pm on Tuesday night (Sept 15) – police attended and closed the road to keep the attendees safe. The protest passed peacefully.

Protestors said that they were unhappy with the lack of communication regarding the plans, which could see 250 male asylum seekers staying at the camp, very near to the village of Penally.
Simon Hart MP posted on his Facebook page saying: “I have spoken to the Home Secretary to seek further clarification regarding plans to house asylum seekers at Penally Training Camp.

“Whilst being mindful of our legal obligations and our responsibilities, as well as the extensive powers held by the Home Office on all security and immigration scenarios, I appreciate that residents are concerned about a number of issues so I have included as many of these as possible in our submission.

“For example, I have asked how long the site will be used, what the security arrangements will be and whether the Home Office will be funding any additional costs that Pembrokeshire County Council, Hywel Dda Health Board and Dyfed-Powys Police might incur.

“I also want to know how many people could be housed at one time, what the gender balance and likely age profile could be as well as how local residents’ welfare will be ensured.

“I have enquired about the arrangements for occupants entering or leaving the site and further detailed queries regarding healthcare and COVID testing of staff and occupants.

“I have also asked for an explanation of the day-to-day workings of the site in relation to processing asylum claims.

“As soon as I receive a reply, I shall post it on my website and Facebook page. In the meantime, I am keen to avoid too much speculation in case this causes increased tension and concern.”

Dyfed-Powys Police and Crime Commissioner,  has added his voice to the row over the cap.  Mr Dafydd Llywelyn has also contacted Priti Patel.

Police and Crime Commissioner, Dafydd Llywelyn said: “I am deeply concerned about the lack of clarity relating to the proposed arrangements. Greater strategic planning and engagement is needed to ensure we support and safeguard these vulnerable individuals and respond to local concerns.”

In an open letter to the Home Secretary he says: ‘I write in relation to plans being considered to utilise the Ministry of Defence camp at Penally in Pembrokeshire, Wales as emergency asylum accommodation in the near future. I am personally grateful for the actions of your Home Office in Wales Team who coordinating, at short notice, a meeting for an initial discussion with your officials yesterday. I will continue to work with the team on this issue over the coming days and weeks.

‘However, I write to express my significant concerns in relation to the lack of a clear strategy, detail and consultation surrounding these plans. I was not suitably reassured by your officials of the existence of any detailed planning, impact assessment or implementation arrangements on a practical level. Alongside other agencies, a number of practical concerns were communicated to your officials that I hope can be addressed.

‘You will be aware that this evening a protest was held at the proposed site and that since the news has been in the public domain local concerns have been raised. I believe that this largely stems from the lack of consultation and limited information being provided. You will know that in 2016, communities within the Dyfed Powys area successfully supported the Syrian Vulnerable Person Relocation Programme. This was achieved through careful planning and significant community engagement, ensuring that the local community felt a part of the decision making. I repeat to you the comments that I made at yesterday’s meeting in that there is an urgent need for greater clarity on the strategic plan and considerable engagement to ensure we support and safeguard these vulnerable individuals whilst addressing local concerns.

‘I am personally unable to fully understand the rationale for selecting the Penally site and would like clarification on how this decision was reached and how the proposed logistics will work. Asylum seekers, upon arrival at the UK, will have to travel a further 5 hours and 300 miles to a proposed site in Penally, Pembrokeshire albeit there will be no power to detain once at the site. The site and local community is unlikely, in my opinion, to have the necessary infrastructure to support their needs and the location of the site would make accessing services unnecessarily difficult for vulnerable individuals.

‘I fully realise that difficult decisions need to be made in the interests of both those seeking asylum and our local communities and therefore trust that you will understanding and support of my position of wanting detailed planning, community engagement and transparency of decision making.’

Wants answers: Simon Hart MP

Continue Reading

News

Saundersfoot care home goes the extra mile

Published

on

PENSIONERS at a South Pembrokeshire care home didn’t let the recent
cancellation of Ironman Wales dampen their enthusiasm for the
event.
 
Instead, they enjoyed a fabulous celebration taking part in various
sporty activities in the grounds.
 
Staff at the private residential care home in Saundersfoot even put up
a mock finishing line – complete with a clock displaying finishing
times.
 
This year’s IRONMAN Wales event, which has been held in Tenby for
several years, was unfortunately cancelled due to Covid-19.
 
"We were delighted to see the residents at Pencoed Care Home keep
the IRONMAN spirit alive. We can't wait to come back in 2021 where
the support is truly special" said Declan Byrne, the event’s Regional
Director for the UK and Ireland.
 
Pembrokeshire County Councillor, Tessa Hodgson, Cabinet Member
for Social Services, praised the celebrations at Pencoed.
 
“What a wonderful way to celebrate Ironman,” she said. “It’s fantastic
to see the enthusiasm of staff and residents alike.”

Continue Reading
News48 mins ago

Work on new council houses starts in Johnston

WORK has begun on the first council houses to be built in Pembrokeshire for a generation. Thirty-three affordable units are...

News2 days ago

Saundersfoot care home goes the extra mile

PENSIONERS at a South Pembrokeshire care home didn’t let the recent cancellation of Ironman Wales dampen their enthusiasm for the...

News2 days ago

Terror accused had ‘white supremacy’ interest

A CARMARTHENSHIRE man has pleaded not guilty to 28 charges of possessing explosives and chemical weapons at Newport Crown Court....

News2 days ago

Three sentenced for illegal slaughtering at Bramble Hall Farm

THREE men received suspended prison sentences at Swansea Crown Court on Monday 14th September 2020, for food related offences which...

News3 days ago

Cardigan: Large amount of cash stolen from ATM in CK’s store

POLICE in Cardigan are appealing for witnesses following a high value burglary in Tanygroes. A large quantity of money was...

News4 days ago

Confirmed: 250 male refugees will arrive at Penally Army Camp ‘within weeks’

250 refugees, all of them male, will be housed in COVID-secure accommodation at Penally Army Camp, it has been confirmed....

News4 days ago

Jury sworn in as west Wales businessman goes on trial for murder

THE JURY has been sworn in for the trial of a west Wales businessman with links to Milford Haven. Andrew...

News4 days ago

Rumours resurface that Penally Camp could be turned into a camp for immigrants

RUMOURS have circulated on social media, suggesting that Penally Camp near Tenby is being adapted from its current use with...

News5 days ago

Public asked to ‘clap, cheer or let off a balloon’ for Lola

FRIENDS and family of Lola James, 2, who passed away in hospital on July 21, have released details of her...

News6 days ago

Schools warn parents about ‘harmful and disturbing’ TikTok video

SCHOOLS across Wales have been warning parents about a ‘harmful and disturbing’ video which has gone viral on social media...

Popular This Week