Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Protest against ‘draconian’ Police and Crime Bill takes place in Haverfordwest

Published

on

A SECOND Kill the Bill protest took place in Haverfordwest on Saturday (Apr 17).

One of the organisers told  The Herald: “The new law will be an enormous piece of draconian legislation that includes significant expansion in police powers to curtail the right to protest. The right to peacefully assemble and protest are a fundamental part of any democracy; empowering people to have their voices heard, in addition to holding the Government to account. These rights are universal –they protect peaceful and legitimate protest whatever the cause.“The events at the Clapham vigil and at demonstrations over the last few weeks are a dangerous indication of what the future of protest will look like if the police powers bill gets through parliament.”

A local campaigner, a mother and grandmother said “We are in the process of losing a fundamental part of our democracy, It is important we protect it for future generations. We have messed up so much of their future already-we need to hold the Government to account”.

Aspects of the Bill include:

  • The power for Police forces to shut down protests that they deem too disruptive at their own discretion.
  • Up to a 10-year sentence for demonstrators considered to be causing a “public nuisance”.
  • The power for police forces to impose start and end times on static protests of any size.
  • The power to expand stop and search powers, which already discriminate against marginalised communities. If you live in the Dyfed Powys police area, you are 5 times more likely to be stopped and searched if you are black than white.
  • Up to 10-year sentences for damage to public monuments’ Police powers will be expanded and custodial sentences increased to “protect” women.
  • These measures are not sufficient to prevent violence and are troubling, considering some police officers’ involvement in cases of violence against women. Significant restrictions on where protests around Parliament may take place.
  • The elevation of trespass from a civil offence to a criminal offence, meaning police and courts can give harsh sentences to Travellers.
  • Increased power of police to seize vehicles and homes from Gypsy, Roma, and Traveller communities and demanding proof of permission to travel.
  • The bill will criminalise a way of life for these communities.

Some of the proposals in the new bill which is the subject of the protest include putting start and finish times on protests, as well as noise limits. The bill also says damage to memorials could lead to up to 10 years in prison. The bill could also expand stop-and-search powers and includes an offence of “intentionally or recklessly causing public nuisance,” which is designed to stop people occupying public spaces and doing things like hanging off bridges or gluing themselves to windows.

The bill will be reintroduced to Parliament after the Queen’s Speech, according to the Home Office, with Commons Committee Stage expected to be completed by 24 June.

“The Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Bill delivers on the government’s commitment to crack down on crime and build safer communities,” a Home Office spokesperson says. “We are equipping the police with the tools they need to stop violent criminals in their tracks.” They add that the bill “enshrines our commitment to those brave officers who put themselves in danger to keep rest of us safe into law”.

One protestor told Herald.Wales: “People are getting more angry and more frustrated and they feel like their issues are not being dealt with – but are rather just simply being cracked down on.

“And that is the wrong approach. People are still going to take to the streets and be even more passionate.”

Haverfordwest Kill the Bill protest 2021

Protests – a senior police officer’s view

A police boss who describes himself as an “experienced protester” says a report on how protests are policed is one sided, illiberal and undermines civil and political rights.

North Wales Police and Crime Commissioner Arfon Jones is so concerned that he has written to Home Secretary Priti Patel to complain about it.

The UK Government used the report by Her Majesty’s Inspectorate of Constabulary, Fire and Rescue Service (HMICFRS),“Getting the balance right?, when they were drafting the controversial Police, Crime,  Sentencing and Courts Bill.

Arfon Jones, the new North Wales Police and Crime Commissioner at Police HQ in Colwyn Bay.

According to the inspectors, the balance had tipped too heavily in favour of protesters.

The legislation will give the police powers to set start and end times for static protests and stop protests if they are judged to be too noisy or too “disruptive”.

Protesters face fines of up to £2,500 and up to 10 years in jail if they are convicted.

Mr Jones, a former police inspector, said: “Although equilibrium should be struck between individual rights to protest and the general interests of the community, I simply do not agree the balance tips too readily in favour of protestors.

“The recommendations in the report are one sided, illiberal and undermine civil and political rights and are not in the public interest.

“The new powers in the proposed act are not necessary and will prevent protest as we know today. The whole purpose of protest is to disrupt and to seek change.

“The police have enough powers to police protests and do not need more. I do not believe that HMICFRS have the balance right in this report and as an *experienced* protestor for the last 50 years the perception that police are favourable towards protestors rights is a fallacy.

“Policing protests has always been, and always will be, a tool of the state to control its citizens and I will have no truck with it.

“Automatic Facial Recognition in non-violent protests is a privacy intrusion and should not be used.

“Non-violent protests should be policed as events not as a public order exercise.

“The Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Bill will afford new powers to officers to tackle protests, including measures aimed at static protests and a new offence of ‘intentionally or recklessly causing public nuisance’, which is in part defined as causing ‘serious annoyance’ or ‘serious inconvenience’.

“In a democracy the right to protest sometimes means people are inconvenienced, such is the price of living in a society where voicing support for a cause of your choosing is permitted. “These proposals seek to whittle that right down to such a degree that any demonstration, large or small, may be heavily restricted or even curtailed altogether. The effect on free expression will be substantial.

“The report is short-term and politically driven. Policing should be very careful not to be drawn into the situation of being arbiters of which protests can go ahead and become stuck in the middle.

“The policing of industrial action in the 1970s reminds us that policing protests may cause long-term damage on the relationships between community and police.

“The United Kingdom and its people have been through a very difficult year, with exceptional Covid-19 restrictions coming to an end as the pandemic recedes. 

“This is a time for reflection and consideration, not a time to be rushing through poorly thought out measures to impose disproportionate controls on free expression.

“Such laws may shield ministers and corporations from public dissent, but who would wish to live in a society where such matters are guiding principles of legislation?”

Community

Inspiring a love of reading with local authors

Published

on

THE PEMBROKESHIRE LIBRARY SERVICE recently took part in the Books Council of Wales ‘Stars of the Shelves’ Initiative – to bring school children into libraries to meet local authors.

Grant funded by Welsh Government, the initiative aims to engage primary school pupils with literature and reading through author-led sessions in local libraries.

Pembroke Dock, Narberth, Milford Haven and Fishguard Libraries all took part and welcomed around 200 children at various sessions during March.

Welsh authors Kerry Curson and Rebecca F John were commissioned to deliver the workshops which were a fantastic chance for learners to interact with professional writers, explore storytelling and foster a love for reading and writing.

Pembroke Dock Community School and Narberth CP School enjoyed “fun”, “interesting” and “inspirational” workshops with Kerry where the pupils created their own stories, learned new vocabulary and felt more confident about their writing afterwards.

St Francis Catholic School, Ysgol Glannau Gwaun and Ysgol Wdig enjoyed hearing about Rebecca’s books and inspiration as well as taking part in the creative writing process and character development exercises and several found themselves wanting to read more.

Cabinet Member for Residents’ Services Cllr Rhys Sinnett said: “Our libraries are more than just places to borrow books and this Books Council of Wales initiative is just one example of the importance of libraries in the community.

“There was overwhelmingly positive feedback from the pupils who took part, and it is fantastic to see our young people fostering enthusiasm for reading and writing.”

Tracey Johnson, Site Coordinator for Fishguard, Newport and St Davids libraries, liaised with the Books Council of Wales and the authors, to organise the timetable of visits.

She added: “It was great to see so many primary age children in our libraries, enjoying themselves and learning in a fun way.

“It’s really important that we help develop the ‘library habit’ of visiting regularly, to help encourage a love of reading from an early age. Libraries are free to join, and library staff are here to help children and parents who visit.”

Continue Reading

News

Neyland councillor threatens legal action under Equalities Act

Published

on

NEYLAND TOWN COUNCIL is once again under scrutiny following a strongly worded letter from Councillor David Devauden, who has accused the Town Clerk of discrimination and threatened multiple legal actions.

Councillor: David Devauden

In an email sent to fellow councillors and members of the public on Tuesday (Apr 1), Cllr Devauden alleges breaches of the Equalities Act 2010, as well as libel and harassment, in connection with ongoing disputes within the council.

Claims of discrimination and legal threats

The email alleges that the Town Clerk, Libby Matthews, has engaged in what Cllr Devauden describes as “the illegal practice of discrimination” against himself and fellow councillors Brian Rothero and Steve Thomas. He claims the Clerk has refused to respond to correspondence and has shown bias in favour of certain councillors.

“This is called OPENNESS, something we, as a Council, were proud to proclaim but failed to act on,” he wrote.

Drawing on his past experience as a part-time paralegal, Cllr Devauden stated he specialised in libel and discrimination law and accused the Clerk of misandry and malicious communications. He claims the complaints against him lacked evidence and were nothing more than “a misandristic rant.”

Ultimatum to Clerk

Cllr Devauden issued a 48-hour ultimatum to Libby Matthews, demanding her resignation “with no compensation and no benefits.” He warned that if she did not comply, he would pursue a case under the Equalities Act 2010 and other legislation.

“If you resign immediately then I will cease taking legal action against the Council,” he stated, though he added he could not guarantee the same for civil proceedings relating to social media posts alleging sexual harassment and excessive email communications.

He also warned of intended complaints to police under the Malicious Communications Act 1988 and the Protection from Harassment Act 1997, and stated his intention to pursue a libel case under the Human Rights Act 1998 if the allegations made against him are not substantiated with evidence.

Tensions continue to mount

The letter follows weeks of controversy surrounding the council, including the co-option of the Clerk’s mother to the council, accusations of secrecy, and increasing public dissatisfaction with council leadership.

As of now, the Town Clerk has not publicly responded to the letter.

Upcoming tribunal

The Pembrokeshire Herald has found that Cllr David Devauden is due to face a tribunal under reference APW/005/2024-025/CT, brought by the Adjudication Panel for Wales.

The hearing relates to alleged breaches of paragraphs 4(b), 4(c), 6(1)(a), 6(1)(d), and 6(2) of the Code of Conduct, which outline the following responsibilities:

  • 4(b): Councillors must show respect and consideration for others.
  • 4(c): Councillors must not use bullying behaviour or harass any person.
  • 6(1)(a): Councillors must not conduct themselves in a manner likely to bring their office or authority into disrepute.
  • 6(1)(d): Councillors must not disclose confidential information contrary to legal or policy obligations.
  • 6(2): Councillors must not make vexatious, malicious or frivolous complaints against others.

The relevant authority is Neyland Town Council. Further details about the hearing are expected to be released in due course.

More referrals expected

A source close to the council has indicated that further referrals to the Adjudication Panel for Wales may be forthcoming, although this has not yet appeared on the public tribunal list.

Former councillor Andrew Lye also stated he has made a police complaint regarding what he describes as bullying by Cllr Devauden. He has expressed frustration over a lack of response from Dyfed-Powys Police and is considering referring the force to the Ombudsman over their handling of the complaint.

The Pembrokeshire Herald will continue to monitor developments and report on the outcome of any legal action or council response.

Continue Reading

Business

Labour costs loom ahead of new financial year

Published

on

WELSH businesses are under increasing pressure to raise prices due to rising labour costs, according to the latest Quarterly Economic Survey by Chambers Wales South East, South West and Mid.

The first survey of 2025 reveals that 85% of businesses in Wales cite labour costs—including salaries, pay settlements and contractor fees—as a major pressure in the first quarter. This marks a rise from 81% in the final quarter of 2024.

Firms are also bracing for the impact of increases to the National Minimum Wage on 1 April and Employer National Insurance Contributions on 6 April. As a result, 44% of surveyed businesses said they plan to raise the price of goods or services by up to 15% to absorb these costs. A further 10% said they will increase prices due to the National Insurance rise alone.

Despite financial pressures, workforce stability remained strong. Seventy-six per cent of businesses reported no change in staffing levels over the past three months. However, the proportion of companies attempting to recruit fell to 40%, down from 45% in the previous quarter. Looking ahead, 58% expect their workforce to remain unchanged in the next quarter, while 23% plan to increase staff numbers.

The Q1 survey also reflected cautious optimism, with 39% of respondents reporting a rise in export sales and bookings. Additionally, 28% of businesses said they had increased investment in plant, machinery, technology and equipment. Nearly half (45%) forecast an improvement in turnover.

Gus Williams, interim CEO at Chambers Wales South East, South West and Mid, said:
“In our recent Quarterly Economic Surveys, including this survey for Q1, recurring concerns for businesses centre around labour costs and taxation. As changes are set to come into effect in April, businesses in Wales are having to review their goods and services prices, ongoing costs and recruitment plans.

“While there have been glimmers of optimism in exporting and some aspects of investment this quarter, firms will require reassurance and action from government to avoid stagnating and unlock growth. The Office for Budget Responsibility’s revised growth forecasts suggest that economic growth is less certain this year but will be a longer-term achievement.”

Continue Reading

Charity1 day ago

Royal visit celebrates Pembrokeshire charity’s community impact

STAFF, volunteers and visiting pupils at Lower Treginnis Farm were delighted to welcome a very special guest on Wednesday (April...

Business2 days ago

Valero refinery escapes Trump’s new tariffs

Fuel imports spared as US tries to avoid price hikes THE VALERO oil refinery in Pembroke has escaped the impact...

Crime2 days ago

Leaked messages point to leadership crisis at HMP Parc

Staff mocked suicide and bragged about assaults as G4S failed to intervene A CULTURE of violence, cruelty and neglect flourished...

News2 days ago

Cleddau Bridge Hotel site housing development takes a step forward

CASTELL GROUP, in partnership with Pembrokeshire County Council, have completed the sale for the redevelopment of the former Cleddau Bridge...

Business2 days ago

Pembrokeshire Council rules out ‘toxic tourism tax’ – for now

VISITORS to Pembrokeshire will not face a new overnight tourism tax—at least not during the current county council administration. As...

News3 days ago

Shellfish gathering labelled ‘out of control’ in Saundersfoot

COUNCILLOR DEMANDS ACTION AS 250 COCKLE PICKERS DESCEND ON LOCAL BEACH ANGER is growing in Saundersfoot after more than 200...

Crime3 days ago

In court charged with intentional strangulation of woman

A PEMBROKESHIRE man is to appear before a Crown Court judge for trial charged with the intentional strangulation of a...

Crime3 days ago

Leaked messages reveal shocking culture at HMP Parc amid misconduct probe

The facility houses many prisoners from Pembrokeshire, and is the largest jail in Wales A SERIES of leaked messages obtained...

Business3 days ago

SpaceX eyes Milford Haven for new UK facility

Talks underway for rocket factory at former Black Bridge armament depot SPACE-X, the aerospace company founded by billionaire Elon Musk,...

Crime4 days ago

Victims praised as 1980s child rapist jailed for 16 years

A POLICE detective has praised the “immense strength” of two survivors of child sexual abuse after their attacker was finally...

Popular This Week