Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Health

Public Health Wales apology over lack of clarity on smear test changes

Published

on

PUBLIC HEALTH WALES has apologised and admitted it hasn’t “done enough” to explain the reasons for increasing the length of time between cervical screening tests.

The change, which was announced on Tuesday, means people aged between 25 and 50 with a cervix will now wait five years until another test, rather than three, providing no human papillomavirus (HPV) cells are detected.

HPV is a very common virus that most people will come into contact with at some time during their lives. One or more high-risk types of HPV are present in over 99.8% of cervical cancers.

HPV testing was successfully introduced in Wales in 2018 and almost nine out of 10 results show no high-risk HPV.

There are about 160 cases of cervical cancer diagnosed every year in Wales and it is the most common cancer in women under the age of 35.

But Public Health Wales has admitted it has failed to give clear information over the change, leading to concerns cancers could be missed.

In a tweet this weekend PHW said: “We are sorry. We haven’t done enough to explain the changes to cervical screening and have caused concern. We are working to make this clearer and more information will be available as soon as we can today and in the coming days.”

Cancer charities have sought to reassure women concerned by the change. Cancer Research UK has said people should be aware increasing the gap between screenings is “safe” and the new form of testing means people are invited for further based on their risk of developing cancer rather than their age.

An online petition, calling for the reintroduction of the three year gap between routine smear tests, has now attracted more than 680,000 signatures.

Alice Davies, Cancer Research UK’s health information manager, said people should be aware the decision to increase the time between screenings was made on scientific advice and due to a new way of testing samples which detects human papilloma virus (HPV) and means doctors are better able to identify those at risk of developing cervical cancer.
Ms Davies said: “As the new test is more accurate at finding those at risk of cervical cancer, screening intervals can be safely extended from three to five years.

“If someone is HPV positive then their next screening interval will be shorter than five years. The new test allows women to be invited back for screening based on their risk of developing cervical cancer, rather than just their age.

“Overall this makes the programme more accurate, and means people don’t have extra rounds of screening that wouldn’t give them any benefit, while offering more screening to people at higher risk.”
On Wednesday Public Health Wales said it accepted it has to do more to explain the reasons for the change.

Charity Jo’s Cervical Cancer Trust, described as the UK’s leading cervical cancer charity, has sought to reassure people concerned about the changes.

It has said the change has been introduced following advice from the UK National Screening Committee which recommended the five year gap between tests due to the use of HPV tests which are more sensitive and effective.

It said this means the advice is most women aged 25 to 49 can, as those aged 50 to 64 are, can be tested every five years rather than three.

The charity says the improved testing will likely mean more lives saved by identifying those at greater risk of cancer earlier.

According to Jo’s Cervical Cancer Trust women in Wales, and Scotland, are invited back based on the result of the screening.

If those show high-risk HPV and cell changes you will be invited to colposcopy.

If it identified high-risk HPV but no cell changes you will be invited for cervical screening in one year.

If there is no HPV you will be invited for cervical screening in five years.

Public Health Wales says HPV testing was introduced in Wales in 2018 and almost nine out of 10 results show no high-risk HPV.

Heather Lewis, consultant in public health for Cervical Screening Wales said: “The HPV test we now use in Wales is more effective at identifying people at higher risk of developing cell changes which can cause cervical cancer.

“The evidence shows that it is therefore safe to extend the time between cervical screening tests for people who do not have HPV identified.”

HPV is a very common virus that most people will come into contact with at some time during their lives. One or more high-risk types of HPV are present in over 99.8% of cervical cancers.

Increasing the time between smear tests will also reduce risks from screening.

Head of Programme for Cervical Screening Wales at Public Health Wales, Louise Dunk said: “Testing everyone who attends for cervical screening using a test for high risk HPV will identify those at risk and prevent more cancers than just examining the cells alone.

“It is a really positive development that this more effective test will mean that women and people with a cervix, who test negative for HPV, now only need to attend their testing every five years, rather than three.”

There are around 160 cases of cervical cancer diagnosed every year in Wales and it is the most common cancer in women under the age of 35.

Health

Senedd criticises ‘unacceptable’ delays on infected blood compensation

Published

on

SENEDD Members urged the UK Government to speed up compensation payments to people infected and affected by the contaminated blood scandal.

Labour’s Julie Morgan, who has campaigned on the issue for three decades, pointed out that nearly a year has passed since Sir Brian Langstaff published his damning final inquiry report.

More than 30,000 people in the UK were infected with HIV and hepatitis C after receiving contaminated blood products in the 1970s and 1980s.

Ms Morgan welcomed £11.8bn set aside by the UK Government but warned of “completely unacceptable” delays in issuing compensation to victims.

She told the Senedd: “But I can’t support the way in which the setting up of the compensation framework, and the Infected Blood Compensation Authority, has caused significant delays, and the delays in registering for the affected.”

Ms Morgan said two people die every week while awaiting compensation and 25 infected or affected people known to Haemophilia Wales have died since the inquiry began.

The former minister warned: “I’ve been told that the compensation tariffs are so complex that it’s extremely difficult to gauge who will be eligible. However, Haemophilia Wales estimates that there’ll be around 300 infected and affected entitled to compensation in Wales.”

She added: “I’ve also heard there have been rejections of transfusion estate applications due to the destruction of medical records held at the University Hospital of Wales.”

Stressing the practical impact of delays, she explained that if an affected person, such as a widow, dies the claim to compensation dies with them unlike with an infected person.

Ms Morgan said those infected and affected, some of whom gathered on the Senedd’s steps before the debate, have been fighting for justice for 40 years.

During topical questions on April 2, she told the debating chamber: “I think it’s up to us in this Senedd to do all we possibly can to urge the UK Government, and say, ‘Look, just get on with it, it’s just been far too long.’ This has been going on for years and years.”

James Evans, the Conservatives’ shadow health secretary, added his voice to a chorus of calls to increase the pace of compensation payments.

As did his Plaid Cymru counterpart Mabon ap Gwynfor who said: “Some patients’ families who have been in contact with me believe that the matter is being dragged out and that it’s intentional on the part of the government … to avoid paying out the compensation.”

Labour’s Hefin David, who represents Caerphilly, similarly raised the case of a constituent, echoing concerns the compensation scheme may unfairly discriminate against spouses and partners.

Rhun ap Iorwerth, who chairs the Senedd cross-party group on haemophilia and infected blood, urged Welsh ministers to press the case for compensation.

The Plaid Cymru leader quoted a constituent: “The government line is to meet its legal responsibilities as slowly as possible, in the hope we will all die soon and stop bothering them. We feel we are again being bullied by those in power, adding insult to severe injury.

“The situation cannot go on. The 4,000 or so infected victims must be compensated immediately so they can put the past behind them and enjoy the time they have left.”

Jeremy Miles, who was appointed Wales’ health secretary in September, said officials continue to press the UK Government on the need for timely compensation payments.

Health secretary Jeremy Miles
Health secretary Jeremy Miles

Mr Miles explained that the Infected Blood Compensation Authority is recruiting hundreds of claim managers who will prioritise claims for those nearing the end of their life.

Urged to make people’s frustration and anger known, he said: “The strength of feeling in the chamber is clear … it’s important to have a set of arrangements that can command confidence, so I’d be very happy to put the points to the UK Government in those terms.”

Continue Reading

Health

Welsh public want NHS, cost of living and infrastructure prioritised

Published

on

Report highlights top concerns and calls for long-term vision

THE WELSH public want the government to prioritise improvements to the NHS, tackle the cost of living, and invest in infrastructure, according to Deloitte’s latest State of the State report.

The 2025 report, published in partnership with the independent think tank Reform, reflects the views of both public sector leaders and the people who use public services.

For the third consecutive year, the state of the NHS and the cost of living were the most pressing concerns for people in Wales, with both issues cited by 75% of those surveyed. Social care for the elderly and vulnerable adults followed, mentioned by 48%.

Jobs and the economy (47%) and affordable housing (43%) were also high on the public’s list of priorities. One of the most notable increases was in concern about infrastructure—roads, railways and broadband—with 42% calling for improvements, a rise of six percentage points on last year.

When asked about the biggest drivers of future growth, respondents in Wales chose improving the nation’s health (45%), boosting education and skills (44%), and increased investment in infrastructure (39%).

Despite these priorities, most people were pessimistic about the outlook. Some 75% expected the NHS to stay the same or get worse, while 74% said the same about infrastructure.

Council chief executives interviewed for the report stressed that government infrastructure spending would be key to future growth. Other public sector leaders highlighted progress in Welsh transport, crediting a clear vision and strong partnership working for recent successes.

The biggest challenge facing public services, according to respondents, was a lack of funding, with 66% citing it as a concern. A further 55% expressed fears about a loss of trust in public services.

While trust in the Welsh Government remains higher than in the UK, Scottish or Northern Irish governments, the public remain sceptical about delivery. Some 63% said they had low trust in its ability to deliver major projects on time and on budget, while 61% doubted it could deliver outcomes people want.

On the question of taxation, Welsh public opinion was divided. Some 31% supported higher taxes and public spending, while 37% preferred lower taxes and reduced spending. Nearly half (47%) said they expected higher taxes and spending regardless of their preference.

Deloitte’s interviews with senior public sector leaders revealed ambitious long-term goals, including frictionless digital interaction with government services, improved collaboration between agencies, place-based planning for integrated transport and healthcare, and a shift toward long-term, commercially aware decision-making.

Dave Tansley, Deloitte’s senior partner for the South West and Wales, said: “The State of the State 2025 report shows the Welsh public remain concerned about the cost of living and the NHS. But our survey also found heightened interest in infrastructure, more so than in other parts of the UK, suggesting the public recognises the importance of connectivity to economic growth.”

He added: “Infrastructure investment supports jobs, housing, roads and rail—but more importantly, it provides the platform for long-term economic resilience. With public finances under pressure and the 2026 Senedd election approaching, the next administration faces difficult choices and the chance to deliver transformational change.”

Ian Howse, Deloitte’s senior partner for Wales, said: “Public sector leaders want bold reform—services that are joined-up, citizen-focused and tech-driven. While the Welsh Government is addressing immediate pressures, our research points to the need for a long-term vision. Leaders report growing urgency to deliver ahead of the next election, especially on economic growth, which is a positive sign for the future.”

Continue Reading

Health

Campaign launched to reverse sharp fall in organ donation consent in Wales

Published

on

Woman from Pembrokeshire in campaign to raise awareness

A NEW campaign has been launched to reverse a worrying decline in family consent rates for organ donation in Wales—now the lowest in the UK.

Just five years ago, Wales had the highest consent rate in Britain. Today, it lags behind all other UK nations, with a 56% consent rate—down from 77% in 2018/19—despite having pioneered a “presumed consent” law in 2015.

Under that system, unless individuals opt out via the NHS Organ Donor Register, they are presumed to have agreed to donate their organs after death. But transplant specialists say the law may have had an unintended consequence: fewer families are talking about donation.

“Many people think presumed consent means everything is sorted, so they don’t have the conversation,” said Bethan Moss, a specialist nurse in Wales. “But families are always asked to confirm, and if they’re unsure, they often say no.”

The new campaign—The Best Thing You’ll Do Today—encourages people to both sign the register and speak with their loved ones.

“It’s about peace of mind,” Moss added. “If families know what their relative wanted, they’re far more likely to agree.”

More than 1.3 million people in Wales have declared their willingness to donate organs since the register began in 1994. Over 10,000 patients in Wales have received life-saving transplants. But the lack of conversation is proving deadly.

Across the UK, consent rates are falling, but the drop in Wales is steepest. Current family consent rates are 60% in England, 61% in Scotland, and 66% in Northern Ireland.

“Talking is key,” said Joanna Chalker, a senior nurse with NHS Blood and Transplant who has worked in Wales for 16 years. “When someone has signed the register or told their family, the consent rate jumps to 90%. That can mean the difference between life and death.”

One of those lives saved was 35-year-old Pembrokeshire mum Jessica (pictured), who was diagnosed with Primary Biliary Cholangitis—a rare liver condition—in 2016. After two false alarms, she finally received a successful transplant in 2022.

“I’d always been healthy, so the diagnosis was a shock,” she said. “But I was ready. Now I’m walking the kids to school again and loving life. Organ donation gave me everything back.”

Every day in the UK, someone dies waiting for a transplant. Right now, around 8,000 people—including over 200 children—are on the waiting list. A single donor can help up to nine people.

To register your decision or find out more, visit:
👉 www.organdonation.nhs.uk/register-your-decision

Continue Reading

Charity20 hours ago

Royal visit celebrates Pembrokeshire charity’s community impact

STAFF, volunteers and visiting pupils at Lower Treginnis Farm were delighted to welcome a very special guest on Wednesday (April...

Business1 day ago

Valero refinery escapes Trump’s new tariffs

Fuel imports spared as US tries to avoid price hikes THE VALERO oil refinery in Pembroke has escaped the impact...

Crime2 days ago

Leaked messages point to leadership crisis at HMP Parc

Staff mocked suicide and bragged about assaults as G4S failed to intervene A CULTURE of violence, cruelty and neglect flourished...

News2 days ago

Cleddau Bridge Hotel site housing development takes a step forward

CASTELL GROUP, in partnership with Pembrokeshire County Council, have completed the sale for the redevelopment of the former Cleddau Bridge...

Business2 days ago

Pembrokeshire Council rules out ‘toxic tourism tax’ – for now

VISITORS to Pembrokeshire will not face a new overnight tourism tax—at least not during the current county council administration. As...

News2 days ago

Shellfish gathering labelled ‘out of control’ in Saundersfoot

COUNCILLOR DEMANDS ACTION AS 250 COCKLE PICKERS DESCEND ON LOCAL BEACH ANGER is growing in Saundersfoot after more than 200...

Crime2 days ago

In court charged with intentional strangulation of woman

A PEMBROKESHIRE man is to appear before a Crown Court judge for trial charged with the intentional strangulation of a...

Crime3 days ago

Leaked messages reveal shocking culture at HMP Parc amid misconduct probe

The facility houses many prisoners from Pembrokeshire, and is the largest jail in Wales A SERIES of leaked messages obtained...

Business3 days ago

SpaceX eyes Milford Haven for new UK facility

Talks underway for rocket factory at former Black Bridge armament depot SPACE-X, the aerospace company founded by billionaire Elon Musk,...

Crime4 days ago

Victims praised as 1980s child rapist jailed for 16 years

A POLICE detective has praised the “immense strength” of two survivors of child sexual abuse after their attacker was finally...

Popular This Week