News
SCBU closure: ‘Nurses said our baby would be dead if he was born next month’
A YOUNG couple who are convinced their baby would have died without the help of the special care baby unit at Withybush Hospital have sent a heartfelt message to Heath Minister, Mark Drakeford urging him not to close the unit.
Freddie, who is one of the last babies treated at the unit, was born on July 25, weighing less than three pounds. He is twelve weeks premature.
Dad, Myles Bamford Lewis, 22, from Milford Haven told The Herald: “It was so emotional at the hospital because the nurses were crying. They knew if Freddie had to go to Carmarthen he wouldn’t have made it. The paramedics told us they wouldn’t have got much further than Canaston Bridge before Freddie would have died.”
New mum, Jasmine McGinley, age 19, from Fishguard was in her home town when the ambulance was called.
Jasmine said: “It’s upsetting to think that babies and mothers will be put at risk at the closure of the SCBU.”
She added: “I’m just glad it was still open. The unit is closing a week Monday. The midwives, doctors and nurses nicknamed him ‘Lucky Freddie – a week later and he wouldn’t be here.”
This is the message Jasmine and Myles have sent to Dr. Drakeford: “This is a picture of my son, who will be one of the last to be born at Withybush SCBU under your new plans. Without Withybush he would have been born most probably around Canaston Bridge judging the time scale of my other half’s labour. It took 15 minutes for an ambulance team to get to Fishguard from Withybush, a further 15 minutes to get back. Within 20 minutes my son was born. He then needed medicine to open his lungs properly so he could breath. Being 12 weeks early he is at the end of his development before he starts to grow.”
The letter went on to say: “I’m not sure if your a father or whether you’ve ever had any problems with pregnancy but unless you start packing ambulances with machines comparable to the ones in an intensive care unit then Pembrokeshire babies will die on the way to Glangwili.”
“Without Withybush SCBU my son would have died. As a father, I beg that you see sense that SCBU is vital to give children the best chance they can get. Your toying with lives here. SCBU is something that should be invested in and not shut down… I’m just glad im not in your shoes, I would hate to be the one who has to tell a grieving father why his child died in the back of an ambulance because you want to save a few pennies.”
Business
Farmers cautious but resilient as costs remain high across Wales
Major supplier says confidence lower despite signs of stability returning
FARMERS across Wales are facing another difficult year as input costs remain significantly higher than before the pandemic, according to new industry insight from agricultural supplier Wynnstay Group.
The company, which has deep roots in rural Wales and generates around sixty per cent of its retail revenue in the country, says confidence among farmers is lower than this time last year, with rising costs, policy uncertainty and tightening margins influencing spending decisions.
However, there are also signs of resilience, with many producers focusing on efficiency and forward planning to cope with ongoing pressures.

Wales at heart of business
Wynnstay, originally founded by tenant farmers in Mid Wales in 1918, has grown into a major UK agricultural supplier serving more than 20,000 farming customers through manufacturing sites, stores and on-farm services. The group employs hundreds of staff across the UK and operates a nationwide distribution network supporting livestock and arable producers.
The company says Welsh farming businesses continue to play a central role in its commercial performance and long-term growth strategy.
Cautious investment decisions
According to Wynnstay, farmers are delaying some investment decisions but are increasingly seeking value-driven solutions that improve productivity.
Feed volumes have increased across the company’s Welsh store network over the past year, reflecting demand for blended feeds that offer greater flexibility and cost control. Rather than reducing purchases outright, many farmers are matching spending more closely to performance and output.
Fertiliser demand has also been strong, with sales ahead of last year, although some farmers have delayed buying in the hope prices may fall. Global supply pressures and rising gas costs mean prices are expected to remain firm into the busy spring season.

Costs still far above pre-Covid levels
Industry data shows overall farm input costs remain significantly higher than before 2020, with feed, fertiliser, fuel, electricity and machinery all continuing to put pressure on farm margins.
While some costs have eased from their peaks, they have not returned to previous levels, influencing buying behaviour across the sector.
Margins for livestock and dairy farms were strong last year, but Wynnstay says they are now tightening, particularly in the dairy sector where milk prices have fallen and volatility remains high.

Pressure on family farms
Smaller family-run farms are under greater strain than larger commercial operations, with less financial resilience to absorb rapid market changes. Reports of rising closures among family farms, particularly in dairy, reinforce concerns about the sector’s long-term sustainability.
Government policy changes are also contributing to uncertainty. The transition away from the Basic Payment Scheme and wider tax reforms have led many farmers to postpone larger investments until there is clearer long-term stability.

Local reaction
Pembrokeshire farmer Chris James said the situation reflected what many farmers were experiencing locally.
“We’ve definitely noticed the squeeze over the past year or two,” he said. “Costs for feed, fertiliser and fuel are still much higher than they used to be, and that makes you think twice about every decision. Most farmers I know aren’t cutting back on production — they’re just trying to be more efficient and careful with spending.”
He added: “People want to invest and move forward, but it’s hard when you don’t know exactly what the long-term policy picture will look like.”
NFU Cymru has also warned that rising costs and policy uncertainty continue to weigh heavily on farm businesses across Wales, with confidence affected by concerns over future support schemes and wider economic challenges. The union has called for greater long-term certainty to allow farmers to invest with confidence and maintain domestic food production.

Weather shocks impact behaviour
Extreme weather during 2025 — including a very dry spring followed by periods of intense heat and a challenging wet autumn — also affected purchasing patterns, with farmers spacing orders and prioritising essential inputs as conditions changed.
Ordering behaviour is now returning to more normal patterns as conditions stabilise.
Outlook for 2026
Despite ongoing pressures, Wynnstay says it is cautiously optimistic about the year ahead.
Many farmers are making careful decisions around efficiency, nutrition and planning, and the company believes there are opportunities for businesses to strengthen their position through 2026 with good cost control and smart investment.
Summing up the sector, the company said Welsh agriculture remains resilient, with farmers showing determination and adaptability despite continuing challenges.
Community
Community meeting planned to secure future of historic Boncath building
Residents invited to support bid to buy former WI meeting room for community use
A PUBLIC meeting has been called in Boncath as residents prepare plans for a community buy-out of a historic corrugated iron building that has served local people for generations.
Villagers will gather at Boncath Village Hall on Tuesday (Feb 24) at 7:00pm to discuss proposals to purchase Bwthyn Boncath — the former Women’s Institute meeting room — and transform it into a community heritage space for the village.

WI members support community purchase
Local WI members have already agreed to offer the community first refusal on the building, paving the way for a potential community-led purchase.
Supporters say the project would preserve an important piece of local heritage while creating a flexible space for events, exhibitions, and activities in the heart of the village.
PLANED helping lead initiative
The meeting will be led by Cris Tomos of PLANED, the community development charity that previously helped facilitate the community purchase of Tafarn Sinc in Rosebush in 2017.
Mr Tomos said the Boncath project could become another example of successful community ownership in North Pembrokeshire.
He said: “It would be great to have another corrugated building owned by the community in North Pembrokeshire — especially in 2026 as Tafarn Sinc celebrates its 150th anniversary.”
Organisers estimate that around £12,000 will be needed to secure the purchase, with further fundraising planned to support restoration and future use.

How to get involved
Anyone interested in supporting the project or learning more is encouraged to attend the public meeting.
Further information is available via the Bwthyn Boncath Facebook page or by contacting PLANED on 01834 860965.

Photo caption: Community members gather to support plans for the purchase of Bwthyn Boncath (Pics supplied).
Entertainment
New theatre show explores realities of motherhood in Pembrokeshire
A NEW theatre production exploring the joys, pressures and complexities of modern motherhood in Pembrokeshire is set to premiere in Haverfordwest next month.
Pembrokeshire writer Ceri Ashe, known for Bipolar Me, 99er, Farmers Townies & Grocles, has teamed up with comedy writer-producer Angharad Tudor to create Enjoy Every Minute / Joia Bob Munud, a community-rooted performance commissioned by SPAN Arts and Unlimited.
The project grew out of the pair’s own experiences of motherhood and mental health, and began with a series of creative workshops held in 2025 for mothers of children aged four and under. Thirteen free places were offered to local mums with no previous creative experience, with weekly sessions taking place at Milford Haven Library and the Pill Social Centre.
Participants took part in poetry, storytelling, singing and movement sessions, with children welcome but the focus firmly on giving mothers time to explore their own creativity and wellbeing.
Ceri Ashe and Angharad Tudor said: “While we valued mother-and-baby groups, we felt something was missing in Pembrokeshire — a space for mums to explore creativity, connect honestly, and take time for themselves. To see it grow into a fully-fledged creative project rooted in the community has been a true pinch-me moment for us both.”
The resulting stage production features a cast of professional Pembrokeshire actors including Anna Monro, Anna Collcyz, Maya Jones, Tessa Ryan, Ceri Ashe, Cathy Davies and Janine Grayshon, alongside a chorus of community singers.
Alternative lyrics to well-known nursery rhymes — written by mothers who took part in the workshops — form part of the performance, capturing the humour and realities of parenting life.
The show blends poetry, storytelling, music and physical performance, aiming to offer an honest and heartfelt portrayal of motherhood while celebrating resilience and community connection.
A British Sign Language-interpreted performance will take place during the 4:00pm showing.
- Creative team:
- Director: Ceri Ashe
- Assistant Director: Siobhan McGovern
- Musical Director: Sara Benbow
- Movement Director: Tessa Ryan
The performances will take place at Albany Hall in Haverfordwest on Saturday, March 14, with shows at 12:00pm and 4:00pm. The production runs for approximately ninety minutes.
Tickets operate on a pay-what-you-can basis starting at £5, with free tickets available for carers.
SPAN Arts, a Narberth-based community arts charity with more than thirty years of work in Pembrokeshire, commissioned the production as part of the Unlimited Partner Commissions programme, supported by National Lottery Awards for All funding.
For tickets and information visit span-arts.org.uk or call 01834 869323.

-
Health2 days agoWithybush loses emergency surgery in shock health board decision
-
Health2 days agoHealth board confirms major hospital changes across west Wales
-
Health16 hours agoConcerns grow over Bronglais stroke plans as politicians demand clarity
-
Health2 days agoHealth board: Changes will bring “resilience and sustainability” to West Wales services
-
Business4 days agoMS’s host business advice surgery following demand from Business Rates Online Forum
-
Community5 days agoHywel Dda hospital services decisions will be made next week
-
Community7 days agoSecond Milford Haven webcam launched after 1.3m views and US TV feature
-
Business5 days agoSvitzer crews at Milford Haven vote for industrial action in pay dispute









wayne marshall
July 26, 2014 at 11:49 pm
Dear sir,
I have heard that camarthen hospital is not ready for the switch yet as the baby unit is not up to scratch so what will happen if the switch goes ahi ead without camarthen being ready i dread to think
Georgiana
July 27, 2014 at 10:29 am
Only someone who lives in the city would make decisions such as closing the SCBU. They don’t appreciate how long it takes to get to various hospitals in the ‘sticks’.
I was told that something like this happened in England. They close the local baby unit and women had to drive 30+ miles to get to the nearest one, babies died and years later they reopened the original unit.
Gareth
July 27, 2014 at 1:12 pm
There are good and bad out comes of this. Withybush is only a levle two care and they say they can take 30 weeks pregnant with only level 2 care. Our son was 33 weeks and was left ventilated until a team from Swansea came down to take him to a level 3 care hospital. He got to Swansea in 30 mins. Now with this scubu unit closed withybush will have to take full tearm only reducing risk. That being said every pregnancy is a risk but if needed to be transferred it would be done in an ambulance just for this job and trust me the ambulance has more in it that the whole scubu unit in Haverfordwest. So I wouldn\\\’t say it\\\’s all doom and gloom people only look at the negatives. I personally think it will force hospitals to manage not only cost but risk. People might have a negative out look on this comment but trust me we have been there and done it and with better management in a higher care unit our son would of had a less complex birth and after care
Noo
July 27, 2014 at 2:16 pm
Gareth, I think you miss the point here, Carmarthen is also a level 2 unit, without SCBU in Pembs and a specialist team these very premature babies have no chance of survival in those vital few hours, I’m afraid you have been misinformed regarding the equipment aboard the retrieval ambulance they do not carry Ventilators etc, every child deserves the right to life in this day and age
jane perkins
July 27, 2014 at 4:10 pm
My son was born 23 years ago. Without the special care baby unit he would not be alive now. I lived in St Davids and the nurses would call us when he need to be fed by me and we did until he could come home. But if he had been in Carmarthen we wouldn\’t have made it on time. So no son. Sadly this is awful news for the people of Pembrokshire and im horrified
Kelly John
July 27, 2014 at 8:56 pm
Glangwilli is nowhere near ready to look after extremely premature babies, my daughter was transferred here from singleton during her sbcu, she picked up 3 infections before she was transferred back to recover, it\’s understaffed, not up to specs for these babies without immunity to germs. This is the worst news I\’ve heard for a while and I feel so sorry for the family\’s that will undoubtably suffer 🙁
Tommo
July 28, 2014 at 9:07 am
In response to the comment left by Gareth, in no way do ambulances have the same equipment in them that a specialist SCBU unit does. So many specialist medications and machines are needed to keep a premature baby alive. Also specialist nurses who are specifically trained to use these medications and equipment. Babies lives will be lost. 30 minutes is to long. And that\’s on a good day.
Natashia
July 28, 2014 at 3:13 pm
I don’t usually agree with suing hospitals, but in this case I hope everyone who looses a loved one with the closure of Withybush does sue. Hit them where it hurts, their pockets!
David Williams
July 29, 2014 at 12:35 pm
Gareth, there is no neonatal 2 in Withybush or Glangwili. Withybush is neonatal 2 in everything but name and Hywel Dda only aspire to Neonatal 2 in Glangwili some time in future, not when changes come into effect. In your case nothing would have changed because your baby would still have had to go to Swansea for neonatal 3 except you would have had to take your wife to Carmarthen when he arrived early. Did the air ambulance take the baby to Swansea as there was no way he could have got there from Withybush otherwise. Any pods & staff have to be supplied by Withybush for the emergency ambulance (ambulance service only provide ambulance & driver) so I cannot see how they will have better equipment. Especially as the space is much less in an ambulance than the excellent SCBU at Withybush . Neither will there be consultants at hand as currently until it gets to Glangwili. Unfortunately I think you have been misinformed or not researched enough.