Business
Mounting complaints: More Computer Solutions Wales customers claim losses
Business owner issues legal threats and IPSO complaint to this newspaper while refusing to answer detailed questions about customers who say they were ‘ripped off’
MULTIPLE customers and former associates have come forward to The Pembrokeshire Herald alleging they were left out of pocket after dealings with Computer Solutions Wales, a business operated by Steven Grant.
Following our earlier reporting more people have come forward. The Herald has now spoken to a growing number of individuals who describe similar experiences involving upfront payments, missing equipment, delays, and difficulties obtaining refunds or wages.
The allegations span a period from 2024 into 2025 and involve sums ranging from hundreds to several thousand pounds.
Grant denies wrongdoing and has refused to provide detailed comment on specific allegations, instead issuing legal threats demanding the newspaper cease reporting on the matter.
The Herald investigation is continuing.
Customers describe similar experiences
While each case has its own circumstances, complainants who contacted the newspaper independently described recurring themes:
• Requests for payment upfront
• Delays or lack of communication
• Explanations involving disputes with landlords or access to premises
• Assurances that work had been completed or refunds issued
• Difficulty recovering money or property
The Herald has reviewed bank statements, payment confirmations, correspondence, and message exchanges relating to several of the complaints.
There is currently no finding of criminal liability, and disputes of this nature are typically matters for civil courts. However, the number of individuals reporting similar experiences has raised public-interest concerns.
NHS worker says she lost laptop and repair payment
One of the most recent complainants, Emma Venables, an NHS worker, says she paid £589 in October 2024 to have her son’s water-damaged laptop repaired.
Bank records seen by the Herald confirm a Faster Payment of £589 made on Friday (Oct 11, 2024) to Computer Solutions.
Ms Venables says communication became sporadic despite repeated attempts to contact the business.
Messages reviewed by the Herald show Grant stating the laptop had been repaired but was locked inside premises due to a dispute with a landlord.
Ms Venables later gained access to the premises through a letting agent but says the laptop was not present.
Grant allegedly suggested the device may have been taken by others with access to the building.
Despite later agreeing to refund the payment, Ms Venables says no money was returned and she has been left both without the device and out of pocket.
She told the Herald the situation caused significant distress during a period when she was grieving the death of her husband.

Animator claims nearly £3,000 loss
Cardiff-based animator Rebecca Merrell says she transferred £2,964.55 in December 2024 for a custom-built computer system which she says was never delivered.
Bank documentation supplied to the Herald confirms the transfer was made via Faster Payments to an account linked to Grant’s business.
Ms Merrell alleges she received repeated assurances the computer had been completed and would be delivered, including claims it was already in Grant’s vehicle awaiting transport.
She further alleges she was sent screenshots appearing to show a refund had been issued, but no payment was ever received.
The Herald has reviewed copies of documents she provided.
Ms Merrell says she was unable to work for months without a replacement computer and had to borrow money from family to purchase another system elsewhere.
She described the experience as having a serious impact on her confidence and mental wellbeing.
Claimed £1,750 back on her credit card
Another customer, a Pembrokeshire woman who asked not to be named, told the Herald she paid £1,750 by credit card in January 2024 after being promised a new Apple computer and the transfer of family photographs from an older device belonging to her late husband.
She said she was initially told the work would take “10 days to two weeks”, but claimed that over the following seven to eight months she received repeated explanations and delays, including references to illness, family issues and problems with the business premises.
“He always sounded plausible,” she said. “But I didn’t want to challenge him too much because he still had my old computer.”
She said she was later told the replacement device was ready and had her name on it, but this proved untrue.
After seeking advice from Trading Standards, she pursued a claim through her credit card provider under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act and was eventually refunded the full £1,750.
Her original computer was later returned by a member of staff.
Another customer reports lost laptop and payment
The Herald has also spoken to another customer who says they lost both a laptop valued at approximately £1,500 and £589 paid for repairs after handing the device to the business.
They say they were later told the computer had been inside premises affected by a landlord dispute and could not be accessed.
No refund was received.
Further individuals have contacted the Herald describing disputes involving payments for goods or services they say were not delivered or completed.
These claims are currently being reviewed.

Former worker alleges unpaid wages and intimidation
Separate to the customer complaints, The Herald has also been contacted by a former worker who says he was left out of pocket after working for Computer Solutions Wales in 2022.
The individual, who has asked not to be publicly named due to concerns about potential legal repercussions, provided a detailed written account and says he is willing to supply supporting evidence privately.
He says he applied for an IT engineer role advertised in Pembrokeshire and was hired by Steven Grant while expecting his first child and attempting to establish a career in the sector.
According to his account, he was never issued with an employment contract and was not asked to provide basic employment documentation such as proof of identity, National Insurance details, or right-to-work verification.
He says that after initially working part-time alongside another job, he was encouraged to increase his hours and eventually left his other employment to commit more fully to the role.
However, he alleges that the duties he was asked to perform differed significantly from what had been represented, including running errands, distributing leaflets, and carrying out tasks unrelated to IT engineering.
He further claims he was instructed to travel to jobs across Wales and England at his own financial risk, including paying for vehicle hire, fuel, food, and accommodation upfront, with only verbal assurances he would be reimbursed.
The worker says he was later dismissed shortly before his first scheduled payday and was assured he would still be paid for work completed.
He alleges that payment was repeatedly delayed, with explanations including banking problems and administrative issues, and says that when partial payment was eventually received there were no payslips or confirmation of employment records.
He also claims he received communications he interpreted as legal threats and was instructed not to attend business premises.
The worker says the financial instability and stress contributed to his decision to leave Pembrokeshire and return to previous employment elsewhere.
Grant did not respond to questions from the Herald regarding these allegations.
Timeline of disputes
Information provided to the Herald suggests the disputes span several months.
Some complainants describe making payments in late 2024 and experiencing ongoing communication issues into early 2025.
Others report refund promises that they say were not fulfilled.
The Herald is continuing to verify additional timelines as more individuals come forward.
Grant refuses detailed comment
The Herald contacted Steven Grant with detailed questions covering each allegation and the evidence provided by complainants.
He declined to respond to the specifics.
In correspondence, Grant said: “My mental health isn’t great.”
He also warned that further articles would result in legal action.
Legal threats issued to newspaper
Grant subsequently sent what he described as a “final and formal legal notice” to the Herald demanding:
• Immediate cessation of reporting
• Removal of published material
• A retraction
• Written confirmation within seven days
The Herald is continuing its reporting in the public interest.
Grant has also lodged a complaint with the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO).
Right to reply offered
Grant has been given multiple opportunities to respond to the allegations raised by customers and former associates before publication of this article.
He declined to provide any substantive comment.
Customers considering legal action
Some complainants say they are considering civil claims or seeking advice from Trading Standards.
Others say personal circumstances prevented them from pursuing action sooner.
Investigation continues
Since the Herald began reporting on Computer Solutions Wales, additional individuals have contacted the newspaper with further accounts.
Journalists are currently interviewing witnesses and reviewing documentation to establish whether those complaints can be reported on the record.
Anyone with relevant information is invited to contact the newsroom confidentially.
Business
New facilities at Haverfordwest Target Shooting Club agreed
A CALL by a Pembrokeshire shooting club for more disability-friendly facilities has been given the go-ahead by county planners.
In an application to Pembrokeshire County Council, Haverfordwest Target Shooting Club, through agent Andrew Sutton Architecture, sought permission for an extension to existing target shooting club building at The Firing Range, Withybush Road, Haverfordwest to improve accessibility and internal facilities, together with associated landscaping works.
A supporting statement said: “The club’s own published history states it was founded in 1968, moved from the Drill Hall to the old wartime airfield butts at Withybush by the early 1970s, and had developed facilities over time, including the clubhouse by 1999. The established leisure/community use has existed on the site for a number of years and the proposal does not seek to intensify the core activity beyond that already authorised/established.”
It added: “The primary objective of the scheme is to improve inclusive access to the club’s facilities for disabled users and those with reduced mobility. The internal arrangement will provide adequate entrance and lobby space, clear accessible routes and appropriately designed sanitary accommodation, including an accessible wetroom/shower and separate WC.”
It also said accessible parking and surfacing designed to provide a firm, even, slip-resistant route from parking to the principal entrance.
It added: “The Equality Act 2010 places duties on service providers to make reasonable adjustments so that people with additional access needs are not placed at a substantial disadvantage.
“The proposal is therefore a positive enhancement to a community/leisure facility and supports wider policy objectives for inclusive environments.”
It went on to say: “The club operates within a highly controlled environment, and the proposed works will maintain and enhance safety and security measures.”
The application was conditionally approved by planners.
Business
St Davids GP surgery plans lodged with national park
PLANS to convert a former GP surgery in Pembrokeshire’s only city to a home and holiday let have been lodged with the national park.
In an application to Pembrokeshire Coast National Park, Alice and Danjal Joensen, through agent Oochitecture, seek permission for a change of use of the ground floor of the former GP surgery, Eryl Mor, 36, New Street, St Davids, merging with the existing first-floor apartment to create a larger single dwelling house, along with the creation of an attached short-term holiday let.
The GP surgery is currently vacant, following its closure in October 2024 after new partners could not be secured.

A supporting statement says, prior to being a GP surgery, the two storey element was a single dwelling house.
It adds: “The house would consist of an open plan kitchen-living space to the ground floor, along with a study, lounge and utility room. The first floor includes four double bedrooms with ensuite and main bathroom.
“The new unit of accommodation would form a holiday-let with two double bedrooms, shower room, and an open plan kitchen-living space.
“The GP surgery is currently vacant, following its closure in October 2024 after new partners could not be secured, therefore the proposed change of use will provide a viable long-term future use for the property.”
It says minimal external alterations are proposed to the property with existing entrances utilised for both the main house and holiday-let, adding: “The existing concrete ramp to the front elevation will be retained with proposed works including extending the upper level and steps to provide a connection to the front door, allowing for accessible entrance to the property.
“There will be no changes to vehicular or pedestrian access, with the site continuing to be accessed via the existing entrance from New Street. Parking will be provided for the main house and holiday-let on the existing tarmac driveway off New Street.”
The application will be considered by Park planners at a later date.
Business
Cardigan bakery named among best in UK
A CARDIGAN bakehouse has been named among the best bakeries in the UK as interest in “bakery tourism” continues to rise.
Bara Menyn, a small family-run bakehouse tucked away in a side street in Cardigan, has been highlighted by travel experts at holidaycottages.co.uk as one of the bakeries worth making a trip for.
The name Bara Menyn means “bread and butter” in Welsh, and the bakery has built a reputation for imaginative bakes, pizzas and seasonal produce.

Laura Kerslake, regional expert for Wales, said: “Bara Menyn is how you say ‘bread and butter’ in Welsh and the name of the small family bakehouse that is hidden down a side street in Cardigan, West Wales.
“It’s open three days a week so that the owners can fit the bakehouse around family life and their careers as artists.
“The family’s artistic flair can be seen in all the imaginative fillings and toppings on the bakes and pizzas served, which are also made using local, seasonal produce.”
The listing comes as the UK sees growing interest in independent bakeries, with spending on bakery goods reported to have risen by six per cent from 2025 to 2026.
Research also suggests that many people are now willing to travel for regional food experiences, from traditional cakes to artisan bread and pastries.
Two other Welsh bakeries were also highlighted: Little Valley Bakery, which has sites in Mumbles and Brynmill, and was recently named in the Good Food Guide’s 50 Best Bakeries 2026; and another Welsh entry included in the travel company’s wider list.
For Cardigan, the recognition adds to the town’s growing reputation as a destination for independent food, drink and creative businesses.
-
Community7 days agoSurfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach
-
Crime3 days agoFarm owner in court after 26 dogs removed over welfare concerns
-
News18 hours agoWatchdog criticises health board over £10m GP contract checks
-
News2 days agoPaul Davies meets Openreach Cymru at the Senedd to discuss Full Fibre rollout
-
Crime3 days agoTree surgeon sentenced for failing to provide breath test
-
Crime3 days agoPembrokeshire teenager admits driving almost four times over drug-drive limit
-
News3 days agoMilford man admits handling stolen goods from three local properties
-
Crime5 days agoBuilder jailed for £82,000 fraud affecting 18 victims






