Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Crime

Disqualified driver who caused A40 crash broke down in tears in court

Published

on

A BANNED driver who caused a multi-vehicle pile-up on the A40 on Saturday (May 14) said in court on Monday that he had no recollection of what happened.

Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court heard that Matthew Turner, of Llys-yr Onnen, Wolfscastle was seen by witnesses driving extremely fast that morning, as he drove from Haverfordwest towards his home village.

Turner, age 33, pleaded guilty dangerous driving and to three additional charges of driving without insurance, driving whilst disqualified and possessing 1g of cannabis. An additional charge of the aggravated taking of a vehicle without the owner’s consent was withdrawn.

The court heard that as he flew past Vincent Davies department store in his girlfriend’s Ford EcoSport, the driver of the vehicle travelling behind him watched him cross over the middle white lines in the road repeatedly, and said he was overtaking vehicles dangerously.

He hit an on-coming vehicle, spun around, and smashed into another vehicle just a little further up the road.

The accident caused the main road to be closed for several hours, causing traffic chaos on the back lanes around the area.

The CPS solicitor, Mr Davies, said that the driver of one of the vehicles which had been hit said that “it was as if an explosion had gone off.”

The defendant who works as a painter and decorator, managed to stumble out of his partner’s wrecked car and said to witnesses: “My wife has gone to check the kids. It’s just an accident. These things just happen.”

Representing the defendant, Mr Michael Kelleher said his client has “no real recollection” of what happened.

“Quite clearly this matter is a serious one and we’re quite fortunate there are no serious or lasting injuries as a result of this incident” he added.

The matter was then adjourned for a pre-sentence report from the Probation Service.

Turner, who broke down and was in tears during the hearing, was released on conditional bail, the conditions being that he resides at his parents’ address in Haverfordwest and that he makes no contact with his partner.

An interim driving disqualification has also been imposed.

Crime

Lola James: Two people have denied charges in connection of the death of 2-year-old

Published

on

TWO people who have been charged in connection with the death of a Haverfordwest toddler have denied charges.

30-year-old Kyle Bevan of Aberystwyth, denied a charge of murder at Swansea Crown Court.

Lola’s mum Sinead James, 29, denied a charge of causing or allowing the death of a child.

Lola died in Hospital on July 21, 2020, four days after sustaining a severe head injury at her home address in Princess Royal Way, Haverfordwest.

Bevan was remanded into custody.

James was released on conditional bail.

The trial will take place in 2023 and Judge Thomas said it is expected to last four weeks.

Continue Reading

Crime

Attempted murder arrest following incident in Narberth

Published

on

POLICE have arrested a person for attempted murder following an incident at a residential property in Narberth on Monday (June 20).

Dyed-Powys Police have confirmed that they were called to an incident in the Llawhaden area of Narberth and two people were taken to hospital.

One of those have since been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder.

Enquiries into the incident are still ongoing, however the police have confirmed they are not looking for anyone else in connection with the incident.

A police spokesperson said: “Dyfed-Powys Police is investigating an incident which occurred at a property in the Llawhaden area of Narberth on monday morning, 20th June 2022.

“Two people were taken to hospital following the incident.

“One of the people taken to hospital was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder and enquiries are continuing.

“Police are not looking for anyone else in connection with the incident.”

Continue Reading

Crime

Police appeal after BMX bike and Nike trainers stolen after Barn Street assault

Published

on

OFFICERS from Dyfed-Powys Police are appealing for information following a robbery in Haverfordwest that saw a man pulled off his bike and assaulted with an object.

The incident occurred at around 9pm on Friday, 27 May, near the Pembroke Hotel in Barn Street, Haverfordwest.

A man reported being pulled off his BMX bike and hit to the side of his face with an object before his bike and trainers were stolen.

His attacker is described as being a black male, aged around 20 years old, 5ft 8ins, of slim build and was wearing a navy matching top and bottom tracksuit with Nike logo. Tracksuit had white stripes down sleeves and bottoms.

The bike is a sky blue and pink Kush2 BMX with ‘fat’ tyres, with white spray on one of the tyres. His trainers were size eight Nike Air Max in white.

Anyone with information that could help officers with their investigation is asked to report it to Dyfed-Powys Police, either online at: https://bit.ly/DPPContactOnline, by emailing 101@dyfed-powys.police.uk, or by calling 101. If you are deaf, hard of hearing, or speech impaired text the non-emergency number on 07811 311 908. Quote reference: DPP/3156/27/05/2022/02/C.

Alternatively, contact the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously by calling 0800 555111, or visiting crimestoppers-uk.org.

Continue Reading

Crime2 days ago

Lola James: Two people have denied charges in connection of the death of 2-year-old

TWO people who have been charged in connection with the death of a Haverfordwest toddler have denied charges. 30-year-old Kyle...

Charity3 days ago

Pembrokeshire charity recruits community fuel champions

PEMBROKESHIRE FRAME has received funding to recruit a community fuel co-ordinator and five volunteer champions as they look to raise...

News5 days ago

Huge crowds in Saundersfoot for fantastic weekend of music and celebrations

THE QUEEN’S Platinum Jubilee celebrations in Saundersfoot were successfully concluded yesterday with a charity band evening. There was a great...

News5 days ago

A477: Police investigating incident where car forced to stop and driver assaulted

OFFICERS in Pembrokeshire are investigating an incident that occurred on the A477 westbound, near the Stepaside turning, at around 1pm...

News1 week ago

Crabb praises cost of living payments as charities say people still can’t make ends meet

426, 000 families in Wales are set to receive a cash payment from July to ease cost of living financial...

News1 week ago

New hospital sites to be reviewed by appraisal group

PEOPLE from communities across the three counties will next week help score five potential sites for a new hospital in...

Crime1 week ago

Attempted murder arrest following incident in Narberth

POLICE have arrested a person for attempted murder following an incident at a residential property in Narberth on Monday (June...

featured1 week ago

Save Withybush Hospital Campaign issues local ‘Call to arms’ ahead of Senedd debate showdown

CAMPAIGNERS determined to save the A&E at Withybush hospital have announced that they will be ramping up efforts to engage...

News1 week ago

Ryan Giggs quits as Wales manager with ‘immediate effect’

EX Man-Utd winger has left his position as the manager of the national football team with ‘immediate effect’. Giggs stepped...

News2 weeks ago

Public advised to avoid rail travel as biggest strike in 30 years about to start

THE BIGGEST rail strikes in three decades are due to start on Monday night (Jun 20), bar an unlikely late...

Popular This Week