News
Pembroke Dock man sentenced for assaulting woman infront of children

A PEMBROKE DOCK man who assaulted a woman in front of young children has been sentenced.
On March 1, the bench at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court heard how on Saturday, February 4, Benjamin Beasley, 34, assaulted a woman at her home in Pembroke Dock, causing her actual bodily harm.
At a previous court hearing, Kelly Rivers for the Crown Prosecution Service told the court how the pair had been playing cards at the property and shared a few drinks when an argument broke out.
Ms Rivers added that Beasley had become aggravated and his ‘eyes narrowed’ which is something that happens when he becomes aggressive.
Beasley punched the woman to the side of her face followed by repeated punches to the side of her body.
The blows caused the victim to fall onto the bottom step of the staircase.
Ms Rivers then added how the defendant placed his arm around the neck of the victim and pushed into it, although she confirmed that the force used did not interfere with the woman’s breathing.
After the attack, Beasley went into the kitchen and smashed the cooker causing the glass in the door to shatter across the floor.
The court heard how there were seven children in the house at the time of the assault, Ms Rivers added: “A seven-year-old child called the police.”
Upon arrest, the defendant was found to be in possession of a metal knuckle duster.
Beasley pleaded guilty to one count of assault causing actual bodily harm, one charge of possessing an offensive weapon and one charge of criminal damage.
During mitigation, defending solicitor Mr Kelleher told the court that his client “seems to have a problem with excessive drinking” although he added “this isn’t something that happens regularly.”
Magistrates imposed a 12 month community order, for which they must comply with a rehabilitation requirement and complete 250 hours of unpaid work.
A forfeiture and destruction order was granted for the knuckle duster.
No compensation was granted for the damage to the cooker.
Beasley must also pay £85 prosecution costs and a £114 victim surcharge.
Community
Local firefighters to run search and rescue training exercise ‘High & Dry’

MID and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service (MAWWFRS) will be carrying out a realistic Search and Rescue training exercise on Monday (Apr 7), aimed at enhancing emergency response capabilities.
The exercise, named ‘High & Dry’, will take place between 6:30pm and 8:30pm at Crown Buildings, Church Street, Llanelli. The session will allow crews to practise specialist rescue techniques, including Rescue from Height using the Turntable Ladder.
To ensure a lifelike environment, synthetic smoke will be used during the training. Members of the public may notice smoke escaping from windows and doors, or see emergency vehicles and personnel at the scene. The fire service is reassuring residents that there is no cause for concern.
Watch Manager Gavin Wilkins said: “It’s vital to utilise real buildings as it provides a realistic environment and opportunity to prepare our crews to effectively deal with incidents of this nature. We would like to thank the owners of Crown Buildings in Llanelli for the use of the premises for this exercise.”
The service also thanked the public for their cooperation and understanding while crews undertake this important training.
Crime
Fined for dropping cigarette at Milford Haven Tesco

A LLANELLI man who dropped a cigarette outside Tesco in Milford Haven has been fined over £570 after failing to attend court.
Mark Evens, aged 42, of Llys Westfa, Llanelli, was found guilty in his absence at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (Apr 3).
The court heard that on September 3, 2024, Evens discarded a cigarette butt in a public place to which section 87 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 applied.
He was fined £220 and ordered to pay a victim surcharge of £88 and prosecution costs of £266.66. A collection order was made, and the full balance of £574.66 must be paid by May 1.
Crime
Court adjourns marine enforcement case

A SWANSEA man failed to appear in court after being accused of refusing to comply with a marine enforcement officer.
Ieuan Rhys Davies, aged 29, of Seaview Terrace, Penclawdd, is accused of failing to stop his vessel when directed by Marine Enforcement Officer Matthew Dawkins on June 6, 2024.
The case, brought under the Marine and Coastal Access Act 2009, was adjourned until May 1 at 2:00pm.
Magistrates have ordered that Davies must attend the next hearing or risk a warrant being issued for his arrest.
-
Community7 days ago
Final closures begin as long-awaited A40 bypass nears completion
-
Charity7 days ago
The Dizzy Bear to open soon at Milford Waterfront
-
News6 days ago
Crisis deepens at Parc Prison as six officers arrested
-
Crime6 days ago
Pembroke Dock man to be sentenced for assaulting police officers
-
Crime6 days ago
Man jailed for historic child sex offences in Milford Haven
-
Crime6 days ago
Milford Haven man faces court hearing for assault on three police officers
-
News6 days ago
Neyland councillor’s pub extension wrongly opposed by own council
-
News6 days ago
Three injured in two-car crash on B4313 near Trecwn