Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Tragic Lola’s head injury result of ‘frenzied, brutal and violent attack’ – CPS

Published

on

THE PROSECUTION in the case of two people who are charged with causing the death of Haverfordwest toddler Lola James, 2, have given their opening statement to the jury.

Swansea Crown Court heard on Wednesday (Mar 8) that Lola had 101 separate surface injuries to her tiny body when she arrived at hospital.

Kyle Bevan, 31, said the injuries was a result of the family dog jumping up at Lola and knocking her down the stairs.

Within the prosecution’s opening statement, Caroline Rees KC, told the court how in the early hours of the morning of July 17, 2020, Lola received a catastrophic head injury as a result of a ‘frenzied, brutal and violent attack’.

The prosecution outlined their facts of the case.

Caroline Rees KC went on to say how on the evening of July 16, 2020, Lola’s mum, Sinead James, 30, had gone to bed and left Bevan alone with Lola.

At round midnight, James heard a thump and a cry.

James went into Lola’s bedroom and found Bevan cradling Lola where he said that she had fallen from the ladder on her bunk bed and he was comforting her.

Lola’s mother went to bed, and was not awakened again until almost 7.30am the next morning, where she made a phone call to her mother and the emergency services.

It is the prosecution’s case that during this time, Bevan not only launched a “murderous attack” on the defenceless toddler, but made efforts to “cover his tracks”.

The court was shown a number of photographs of the family home, which was dirty, messy, cluttered and extremely unkempt. All except a sparkling clean bathtub, which was not in keeping with the general state of the rest of the property.

Something the prosecution says shows an intent made by Bevan to complete a clean up operation.

The prosecution claim the timeline of events can be pieced together by evidence from Bevan’s phone.

At 4.26am on the morning of July 17, 2020, Bevan took a photograph of Lola on his mobile phone, which showed her stood up and conscious, but with red marks on her back area. It is not believed Lola had sustained the head injury at this point.

At 6.33am Bevan typed the following into an internet search bar: “My 2 year old child has just taken a bang to the head and gone all limp and snoring, what’s wrong?.”

This was followed up by a screenshot from a medical website which showed symptoms of a serious head injury and where it clearly states that emergency care must be sought immediately.

Despite this warning, Bevan still made no attempts to wake James or call for an ambulance.

Bevan went on to text his mother asking her what he should do.

Distressing videos and photos that were found on Bevan’s phone, were shown to the court.

In the photos it showed Lola laying limp, appearing unconscious and with obvious swelling and bruising to her forehead and lips.

Those photographs were taken by Bevan on his mobile phone more than an hour before an ambulance was called.

In a video played to the court, Bevan can be seen recording himself on his phone lifting Lola up off the sofa and trying to get her to stand.

Lola was limp and when he let her go, she fell to the floor making an extremely loud thump.

Bevan then picked her up, placed her on the sofa, put a blanket over her midriff area of her body, before looking at the camera and saying “she’s gone”.

Despite obvious signs of Lola being seriously injured, Bevan still had not made any attempts to wake Lola’s mother Sinead James or call for medical help.

At just before 7.30am, after numerous texts between Bevan and his mother, he eventually asked her to call an ambulance, stating that he was unable to do so from his phone.

Something the prosecution denies, based on the fact he had made calls to a friend in that time period and had made several internet searches.

The court heard how Lola had 101 surface injuries on her body, including bruising to her forehead, eyes, bridge of her nose and bruising to all four of her limbs, bruised lips, bruised ears and dried blood inside them.

There were puncture marks to the side of her eyes and forehead with dried blood.

Bruised lips, bruised ears and dried blood was found inside one of them.

The injuries, the prosecution argue, are as a result of “abusive head trauma with some form of impact”.

Caroline Rees KC said: “Kyle Bevan murdered Lola by seriously assaulting her.

The injuries noted, which were caused by brutal and serious physical violence.

“Rather than face up, Bevan tried to save himself.

“Rather than call 999 immediately. He took a coward’s escape by placing false blame on the family dog.

The injuries sustained are wholly inconsistent with an accident. Instead are a result of a frenzied, brutal and violent attack at hands of someone she should have been able to trust.”

The prosecution claims that along with the medical experts that will be giving evidence in the trial in the coming weeks, will prove that these injuries are as a result of a “murderous attack” and not as a result of an accidental fall.

An outline of James and Bevan’s relationship was laid out to the court. It was described as ‘volatile’.

Caroline Rees KC, told the court how, there is no suggestion that James was involved in any way in the assault, but she did not take reasonable steps to protect Lola.

The prosecution argues that past incidents and the domestic violence that James had been subject to at the hands of Bevan were clear indicators that her children were not safe in Bevan’s hands.

An outline of previous aggressive behaviour displayed by Bevan was heard.

In the months leading up to Lola’s death, a number of injuries were noted to Lola.

Each of the injuries were explained away by Bevan’s as accidents. Explanations that were accepted by James.

However one incident which is said should have set ‘alarm bells ringing’ was an incident in which Bevan’s pushed another child into a road and said: “F**k it”.

The pram and child were retrieved by James quickly.

Caroline Rees KC said: “Messages between the couple in the months before demonstrate an escalation of abuse and aggression within the domestic home.

“Exposing [Lola] to significant risk.

“She did nothing to keep Lola safe.

“Instead she left Lola in Bevan’s sole care while she went to bed, only for the result of the tragic consequences that we know occurred.”

The case continues.

Community

Local firefighters to run search and rescue training exercise ‘High & Dry’

Published

on

MID and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service (MAWWFRS) will be carrying out a realistic Search and Rescue training exercise on Monday (Apr 7), aimed at enhancing emergency response capabilities.

The exercise, named ‘High & Dry’, will take place between 6:30pm and 8:30pm at Crown Buildings, Church Street, Llanelli. The session will allow crews to practise specialist rescue techniques, including Rescue from Height using the Turntable Ladder.

To ensure a lifelike environment, synthetic smoke will be used during the training. Members of the public may notice smoke escaping from windows and doors, or see emergency vehicles and personnel at the scene. The fire service is reassuring residents that there is no cause for concern.

Watch Manager Gavin Wilkins said: “It’s vital to utilise real buildings as it provides a realistic environment and opportunity to prepare our crews to effectively deal with incidents of this nature. We would like to thank the owners of Crown Buildings in Llanelli for the use of the premises for this exercise.”

The service also thanked the public for their cooperation and understanding while crews undertake this important training.

Continue Reading

Crime

Fined for dropping cigarette at Milford Haven Tesco

Published

on

A LLANELLI man who dropped a cigarette outside Tesco in Milford Haven has been fined over £570 after failing to attend court.

Mark Evens, aged 42, of Llys Westfa, Llanelli, was found guilty in his absence at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (Apr 3).

The court heard that on September 3, 2024, Evens discarded a cigarette butt in a public place to which section 87 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 applied.

He was fined £220 and ordered to pay a victim surcharge of £88 and prosecution costs of £266.66. A collection order was made, and the full balance of £574.66 must be paid by May 1.

Continue Reading

Crime

Court adjourns marine enforcement case

Published

on

A SWANSEA man failed to appear in court after being accused of refusing to comply with a marine enforcement officer.

Ieuan Rhys Davies, aged 29, of Seaview Terrace, Penclawdd, is accused of failing to stop his vessel when directed by Marine Enforcement Officer Matthew Dawkins on June 6, 2024.

The case, brought under the Marine and Coastal Access Act 2009, was adjourned until May 1 at 2:00pm.

Magistrates have ordered that Davies must attend the next hearing or risk a warrant being issued for his arrest.

Continue Reading

Charity9 hours ago

Royal visit celebrates Pembrokeshire charity’s community impact

STAFF, volunteers and visiting pupils at Lower Treginnis Farm were delighted to welcome a very special guest on Wednesday (April...

Business20 hours ago

Valero refinery escapes Trump’s new tariffs

Fuel imports spared as US tries to avoid price hikes THE VALERO oil refinery in Pembroke has escaped the impact...

Crime1 day ago

Leaked messages point to leadership crisis at HMP Parc

Staff mocked suicide and bragged about assaults as G4S failed to intervene A CULTURE of violence, cruelty and neglect flourished...

News1 day ago

Cleddau Bridge Hotel site housing development takes a step forward

CASTELL GROUP, in partnership with Pembrokeshire County Council, have completed the sale for the redevelopment of the former Cleddau Bridge...

Business1 day ago

Pembrokeshire Council rules out ‘toxic tourism tax’ – for now

VISITORS to Pembrokeshire will not face a new overnight tourism tax—at least not during the current county council administration. As...

News2 days ago

Shellfish gathering labelled ‘out of control’ in Saundersfoot

COUNCILLOR DEMANDS ACTION AS 250 COCKLE PICKERS DESCEND ON LOCAL BEACH ANGER is growing in Saundersfoot after more than 200...

Crime2 days ago

In court charged with intentional strangulation of woman

A PEMBROKESHIRE man is to appear before a Crown Court judge for trial charged with the intentional strangulation of a...

Crime2 days ago

Leaked messages reveal shocking culture at HMP Parc amid misconduct probe

The facility houses many prisoners from Pembrokeshire, and is the largest jail in Wales A SERIES of leaked messages obtained...

Business2 days ago

SpaceX eyes Milford Haven for new UK facility

Talks underway for rocket factory at former Black Bridge armament depot SPACE-X, the aerospace company founded by billionaire Elon Musk,...

Crime3 days ago

Victims praised as 1980s child rapist jailed for 16 years

A POLICE detective has praised the “immense strength” of two survivors of child sexual abuse after their attacker was finally...

Popular This Week