Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Opponents to wind turbine scheme say eyesore will be ‘seen across most of county’

Published

on

THREE near-500-foot wind turbines, proposed as part of plans to develop a green energy scheme in north Pembrokeshire, could be seen by most of the county, opponents have said.

Trecwn Green Energy Hub, developed by Statkraft, Europe’s largest generator of renewable energy, is the company’s first green hydrogen project to be announced in the UK.

In plans announced late last year, it is hoped that part of the site at Trecwn Valley will soon be leading the way in making environmentally-friendly fuel for buses, HGVs, trains, and industry in Wales.

Trecwn Green Energy Hub would generate approximately three tonnes of green hydrogen a day, powered by three industrial wind turbines and a solar array.

The former Royal Navy Armaments Depot (RNAD) site at Trececwn comprises of 1,100 acres, with 56 underground tunnels and a collection of former MoD buildings.

Following that, local concerns were raised at a series of public information events.

On March 29, Statkraft said it has made changes to its initial proposal

“following feedback from local communities, stakeholders, and the wider public,” adding an Environmental Impact Assessment Scoping Report has now been submitted to Planning and Environment Wales.

It says the proposed development would comprise three turbines with a height to blade tip of up to 149.9m, with a combined generating capacity of around 15MW. The solar panel generating capacity is also expected to be around 15MW.

Statkraft said, as a result of local feedback, the project team is now considering two options for the site and has made changes to the project boundary for the solar farm.

The first option for the Trecwn Green Energy Hub, which was presented during the early engagement, was chosen for accessibility reasons, in particular the distribution of hydrogen for transport and industrial use.

The second option, which has been included in the scoping report, moves components further away from residential properties.

The final preferred location will be informed by the results of the Environmental Impact Assessment.

The area being considered for solar panels has been reduced, moving it further away from several neighbouring properties.

The 42 hectares being considered as part of Statkraft’s initial plans will be further reduced to roughly 28 hectares in the final proposals, and the layout will avoid high quality agricultural land, in line with the priorities of the Welsh Government.

It is hoped that green hydrogen generated at Trecwn will be used to power trains running on railway lines west of Swansea.

It could also power Pembrokeshire Council’s fleet of refuse collection vehicles and local buses, or local factories and businesses.

Local community group Say No to Statkraft in Trecwn reacted to the release of the scoping report, saying the three proposed 149.9m (492ft) wind turbines would be sited on a ridge some 200m above sea-level, giving them a total height of 349.9m (1,148ft).

“These would be far higher at blade tip than the nearest natural feature of Mynydd Dinas, which is 258.1m (847ft). They will also be lit with red aviation lights.”

The group says Statkraft’s Zone of Theoretical Visibility diagrams show “they would be clearly seen by a large part of Pembrokeshire, as well as outside the county”.

It added: “It’s quite staggering to see just how visible they would be, and not just from high ground. Given their very close proximity to the internationally highly prized Pembrokeshire Coast National Park, as well as many Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSSIs), it beggars belief that Statkraft could have picked this location in the first place, especially when the closest market for their product, hydrogen, is most likely at Milford Haven.”

The group made reference to a recently-rejected scheme in the south of the county.

“In January the Welsh Government’s Minister for Climate Change, Julie James, rejected plans for three 126m (413ft) turbines at Rhoscrowther in South Pembrokeshire. This site is close to highly-industrialised Milford Haven, and these smaller turbines, at sea-level, would have been barely visible outside of the area.

“It was, though, an excellent win for the wonderful Campaign for the Protection of Rural Wales, as they succeeded in protecting a nearby conservation area at Angle.

“Surely, then, this Welsh Government decision sets a precedent?

“The Rhoscrowther turbines would be nowhere near as visually intrusive, as these planned for a ridge above Fishguard.”

The group says there is “little chance of Statkraft abandoning plans for the three turbines,” or the solar array as “their selling point for the hydrogen plant is that it would largely be powered by wind and solar”.

It also says the proposal would lead to very few local jobs being created, finishing by saying: “Lots of pain for North Pembrokeshire and beyond, and very little gain.

“It would make far more sense to move this scheme closer to the Milford Haven area, rather than have 15-plus HGV movements a day transporting the hydrogen to where it may be needed, and building gigantic industrial turbines in such a beautiful landscape.”

A spokesperson for Statkraft responded: “Statkraft’s early engagement on Trecwn Green Energy Hub has allowed us to make significant changes to our emerging proposals, in direct response to the feedback received from local community These include looking at an alternative site for the electrolyser, and changing the proposed boundary of the solar farm.”

The spokesperson added: “The Zone of Theoretical Visibility (ZTV) map illustrates the theoretical visibility of the wind farm, based on what is referred to as a ‘bare earth’ model. It does not account for screening effects provided by woodland, vegetation, and buildings, which reduce the extent of visibility.

“We will be producing visualisations to provide an understanding of the potential visual impact of the project, to be presented as part of our consultation activities.

Engagement

Mícheál Ó Broin, Senior Project Manager at Statkraft, said: “I’d like to thank everyone who has engaged with us, and shared their thoughts and ideas for Trecwn Green Energy Hub. It’s really encouraging that over 80 per cent of people who returned the feedback form were either strongly supportive or supportive, and to see the project recognised in the Senedd, which I think demonstrates a real appetite for green energy production in across Pembrokeshire and in Wales more widely.

“Where possible, we’ve responded to some of the key issues raised by making changes to the proposals, which are reflected in the scoping report.

“The project team will be busy over the next few months, carrying out studies and surveys and reflecting the results in the detailed proposal, which we look forward to sharing later this year.”0 (29).jpg

Image Caption: Trecwn Green Energy Hub, developed by Statkraft, Europe’s largest generator of renewable energy

Charity

Royal visit celebrates Pembrokeshire charity’s community impact

Published

on

STAFF, volunteers and visiting pupils at Lower Treginnis Farm were delighted to welcome a very special guest on Wednesday (April 2), as Her Royal Highness The Princess Royal visited the site in support of the charity Farms for City Children.

The Princess Royal, who has served as Patron of the charity since 1991, spent the afternoon touring the farm, which lies just outside St Davids and is the most westerly farm in Wales. It was her fourth visit to the site since first attending in 2010.

Farms for City Children was founded by author and former Children’s Laureate Sir Michael Morpurgo and Lady Clare Morpurgo. The charity provides immersive week-long farming experiences for urban children, helping them connect with nature, food production and rural life.

HRH The Princess Royal with pupils from Pembroke Dock Community School and Farm School Leader Jess Willcox (Pic: Supplied)

During the visit, The Princess Royal met children from Pembroke Dock Community School as they took part in hands-on farm activities including grooming donkeys, feeding rare-breed piglets, and planting vegetables in the market garden.

She also joined the children for a coastal workshop led by Câr y Môr, Wales’ first regenerative seaweed and shellfish farm, which operates just off the nearby shoreline.

Her Royal Highness was accompanied on her tour by Gethin Jones, Farm School Manager, and later met members of The Friends of Treginnis—a local fundraising group that has supported the charity since 1991. Over the past three years, the group has raised more than £30,000 to help schools from across Pembrokeshire, including Pembroke Dock Community School, take part in the farm’s week-long programmes.

HRH The Princess Royal meeting Farms for City Children staff and partner farmer Aled Davies (Pic: Supplied)

Before departing, The Princess Royal was introduced to members of the charity’s staff and to Aled Davies, the farm’s local partner farmer. She was then presented with a gift of fresh farm produce by two pupils, Erin Hubbard and Jack Kinnard.

Tim Rose, Head of Operations for Farms for City Children, said: “We were delighted to welcome The Princess Royal to Lower Treginnis and to share the experience of being ‘farmers for a week’ with her. Her visit was greatly enjoyed by everyone at the farm and it was our pleasure to be able to show her how the work of the charity interacts with so many different aspects of the Pembrokeshire community.

Car-y-Mor workshop-with children from Pembroke Dock Community School (Pic: Supplied)

“We are hugely appreciative of Her Royal Highness’s continued support and enthusiasm for the work that we do.”

Continue Reading

News

Wales faces deepening housing crisis as new figures show drop in home building

Published

on

Welsh Conservatives blame Labour for continued shortfall in new homes

THE LATEST housing figures from the Welsh Government have revealed a sharp drop in house building across Wales, deepening concerns over what opposition politicians are calling a “self-made housing crisis”.

Data covering the period from October to December 2024 shows that only 1,116 new dwellings were started in Wales — a 27% decrease compared to the same period the previous year. Completions also dropped, with just 1,336 new homes completed, a 12% fall from the previous year.

The figures have sparked renewed criticism from the Welsh Conservatives, who accuse the Labour-led Welsh Government of failing to prioritise housing policy effectively.

Laura Anne Jones MS, the Welsh Conservative Shadow Cabinet Secretary for Housing & Local Government, said the latest numbers highlighted a deepening problem.

“These latest figures highlight Labour’s self-made housing crisis in Wales,” she said.

“Labour simply aren’t building enough suitable homes and hardworking people are struggling to get on the housing ladder. Their obsession with second homes and their toxic tourism tax are the wrong priorities for Wales. The Welsh Conservatives would ensure more homes are built and empty homes are brought back into use.”

Drop across all sectors

The Welsh Government’s statistical bulletin confirms a decrease in house building across all tenures — private sector, social housing, and local authority-led construction.

The biggest fall was seen in the private sector, which accounted for 62% of all new dwelling completions but saw a 15% year-on-year decrease in total numbers. Social housing completions fell by 6%, and the small number of homes built by local authorities (only 62 units) represented a 13% fall on the same period the year before.

The slowdown comes amid wider concerns about housing affordability, population growth, and the availability of construction labour and materials.

Tourism tax and second homes policy under fire

The Welsh Conservatives have linked the slowdown to what they describe as Labour’s “misguided” focus on issues like second homes and tourism levies. The proposed visitor levy — sometimes referred to as a “tourism tax” — would allow local authorities to charge overnight visitors in a bid to generate revenue for communities affected by high levels of tourism.

Critics say the move could damage the rural economy and does nothing to address the underlying issue of housing supply.

In contrast, Labour ministers argue the measures are designed to help address the affordability crisis in areas where second home ownership has driven up house prices and left local people priced out.

Julie James MS, Minister for Climate Change with responsibility for housing, has previously defended the Welsh Government’s approach, saying efforts are underway to bring empty properties back into use and expand affordable housing through innovative schemes.

Rural communities hit hardest

The figures are particularly concerning for rural areas such as Pembrokeshire, Gwynedd, and Ceredigion, where housing demand remains high but new developments are often held back by planning delays and community opposition.

With fewer than 4,800 homes started across Wales in the whole of 2024, housing charities have also raised concerns that the government is unlikely to meet its target of delivering 20,000 new low-carbon homes for rent during this Senedd term.

Shelter Cymru and other housing organisations have repeatedly warned of a worsening crisis in homelessness and temporary accommodation, as local councils struggle to keep pace with rising demand.

Political pressure mounting

With the next Senedd elections coming up in 2026, housing is likely to remain a key political battleground.

The Welsh Conservatives are calling for:

  • A national strategy to bring empty homes back into use
  • A review of planning laws to streamline development approvals
  • Greater investment in infrastructure to support new housing schemes

Meanwhile, Labour will continue to argue that their policies are geared toward long-term sustainability and fairness — especially in communities where local people have been priced out by the second home market.

But with house building in decline and demand on the rise, pressure is growing on ministers in Cardiff Bay to act swiftly before the housing gap becomes unbridgeable.

Continue Reading

Crime

Holiday conwoman duped families with fake Tenby breaks

Published

on

A WOMAN who tricked families into paying for non-existent caravan holidays in Tenby has avoided jail despite defrauding dozens of victims.

Rebecca Newcombe, aged 28, from Ebbw Vale, admitted to 35 counts of fraud after a three-year scam that ran between 2017 and 2020.

Newcombe used fake names on social media platforms including Facebook and Instagram to advertise cut-price getaways. She also ran a page called Cheap Bargains Galore, offering counterfeit designer clothes and accessories.

Newport Crown Court heard how the fraudster took out fake listings for holidays at sites including Tenby, Trecco Bay Holiday Park in Porthcawl, and Devon Cliffs in Exmouth.

Victims, many of whom were looking forward to family holidays, were left out of pocket—some losing hundreds of pounds—after Newcombe failed to deliver on her promises. When they arrived at the holiday parks, she would message them saying she was “on the way with the keys”, but never showed up.

Prosecutor Tabitha Walker told the court: “Excuses were made for the non-delivery of goods and services, and victims were promised refunds that never materialised. None of the items paid for were ever delivered.”

In total, Newcombe pocketed just under £8,000.

Statements from victims described the impact of the fraud, with one saying: “I feel utterly humiliated this has happened to me.” Others said they felt heartbroken, angry, and embarrassed by the ordeal.

Newcombe, of Canterbury Road, Beaufort, was previously jailed in 2017 for a similar offence.

Her barrister, Julia Cox, asked the court to consider the significant delay in bringing the matter to justice.

Judge Daniel Williams sentenced her to 18 months in prison, suspended for 24 months, citing a “realistic prospect of rehabilitation”.

She was also ordered to pay £1,000 in prosecution costs and a £140 victim surcharge.

Continue Reading

Charity11 minutes ago

Royal visit celebrates Pembrokeshire charity’s community impact

STAFF, volunteers and visiting pupils at Lower Treginnis Farm were delighted to welcome a very special guest on Wednesday (April...

Business12 hours ago

Valero refinery escapes Trump’s new tariffs

Fuel imports spared as US tries to avoid price hikes THE VALERO oil refinery in Pembroke has escaped the impact...

Crime18 hours ago

Leaked messages point to leadership crisis at HMP Parc

Staff mocked suicide and bragged about assaults as G4S failed to intervene A CULTURE of violence, cruelty and neglect flourished...

News19 hours ago

Cleddau Bridge Hotel site housing development takes a step forward

CASTELL GROUP, in partnership with Pembrokeshire County Council, have completed the sale for the redevelopment of the former Cleddau Bridge...

Business1 day ago

Pembrokeshire Council rules out ‘toxic tourism tax’ – for now

VISITORS to Pembrokeshire will not face a new overnight tourism tax—at least not during the current county council administration. As...

News1 day ago

Shellfish gathering labelled ‘out of control’ in Saundersfoot

COUNCILLOR DEMANDS ACTION AS 250 COCKLE PICKERS DESCEND ON LOCAL BEACH ANGER is growing in Saundersfoot after more than 200...

Crime2 days ago

In court charged with intentional strangulation of woman

A PEMBROKESHIRE man is to appear before a Crown Court judge for trial charged with the intentional strangulation of a...

Crime2 days ago

Leaked messages reveal shocking culture at HMP Parc amid misconduct probe

The facility houses many prisoners from Pembrokeshire, and is the largest jail in Wales A SERIES of leaked messages obtained...

Business2 days ago

SpaceX eyes Milford Haven for new UK facility

Talks underway for rocket factory at former Black Bridge armament depot SPACE-X, the aerospace company founded by billionaire Elon Musk,...

Crime3 days ago

Victims praised as 1980s child rapist jailed for 16 years

A POLICE detective has praised the “immense strength” of two survivors of child sexual abuse after their attacker was finally...

Popular This Week