Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Crime

Four figure fine for illegal Pembrokeshire vape trader

Published

on

A COURT has heard how a Pembrokeshire vape trader ‘has lost trust in his suppliers’ after receiving a batch of e-cigarettes that contained nearly three times the legal nicotine limit.

A council trading standard officer visited Vapes Allsorts in Pembroke, on the morning of June 14, 2023, following reports that the business had been selling non-compliant vapes.

He requested an Elux Firerose Ex4500 vape and was served by Terence Miller who was responsible for running and managing the store which is situated in Main Street. But upon leaving the store, the officer discovered the vape fell foul of the Tobacco and Related Products Regulations, 2016.

The vape was found to contain:

  • Nearly three times the legal nicotine concentration;
  • Over three times the legal e-liquid permitted in such a vape and
  • Over 3.5 times the legal tank capacity.

This week solicitor Jill Davies, prosecuting on behalf of Pembrokeshire County Council, informed Haverfordwest magistrates that immediately after the test purchase, two more local authority officers visited Vapes Allsorts.

“They informed Terence Miller that the purchase had taken place, and he initially denied selling it, claiming it hadn’t come from there.”

Ms Davies went on to say that 39 identical vapes were subsequently removed from his shop by local authority officers and were found to carry the exact illegal quantities of e-liquid, nicotine and tank capacities.

“The defendant now accepts that he made an error of judgement and has told us that he informed his supplier the following day that his invoice was incorrect, however copies of this aren’t available,” she said.

Miller, of Main Street, Pembroke, pleaded guilty to producing or supplying an electronic cigarette that did not comply with product requirements; producing or supplying an electronic cigarette that failed to include contact details of the producer; producing or supplying an electronic cigarette that failed to include a leaflet with information concerning its nicotine content and of engaging in unfair commercial practice.

Choosing to represent himself before magistrates, Miller told the court that his decision to stock the Elux vape was the result of his successful 12-year career in the vape industry.

“Elux is a quality product,” he said.

“I requested 20 units of five different flavours and they arrived factory sealed in plastic. The box was unpacked and the stock was either shelved for sale or stored for a later date. I chose three flavours for my personal use, and I’m 100 percent positive that those had no nicotine in them as the white space at the bottom read ‘zero nicotine’.

“I replenished the stock on Monday morning, which included the remaining 50 vapes. But unbeknown to me, they were illicit.

“I pride myself on selling quality vaping products and I put a lot of trust in my suppliers. But in this instance, it’s tarnished what was a good, professional relationship.

“I’ve worked too hard for too many years to throw it all away by selling products that are outside the regulations. It’s just not in me to do that, but all I can do is apologise profusely. This has been a hard and bitter pill to swallow.”

After considering his mitigation, magistrates ordered Terence MIller to pay £1,000 costs to Pembrokeshire County Council. He was fined £918 and ordered to pay a £367.20 court surcharge. A forfeiture and destruction order was imposed on the 40 illegal vapes which were removed from Vapes Allsorts by Pembrokeshire County Council during their investigation.

Crime

Thai woman accused of killing son in appears in court

Published

on

A THAI woman accused of killing her seven-year-old son has made a court appearance.

Papaipit Linse, 43, of Upper Market Street, Haverfordwest, is charged with the murder of her son, Louis Linse, on Wednesday, January 10.

In February, it was determined that Linse was not fit to enter a plea, resulting in her transfer to a secure mental health unit. However, defence counsel Dyfed Thomas previously informed the court that it was “highly likely Ms Linse would regain fitness to plead”.

The case was revisited at Swansea Crown Court on July 17, where Linse spoke only to confirm her name.

John Hipkin KC, representing Linse, requested that the defendant not be required to enter her plea at this time. “The issue in the case is entirely psychiatric-based,” he stated.

Mr Hipkin highlighted that an initial psychiatric report suggested the possibility of a special verdict by reason of insanity, as well as diminished responsibility. The court was informed that further psychiatric reports are to be prepared for both the defence and prosecution.

Linse was ordered to return to court on September 23.

Dyfed-Powys Police and paramedics were called to the Upper Market Street address shortly before 10.45am on Wednesday, January 10. The police later confirmed they were investigating the circumstances surrounding the death of the seven-year-old child.

HM Coroner for Pembrokeshire, Paul Bennett, opened the inquest into Louis Linse’s death on January 19. The inquest was adjourned pending the outcome of the police investigation.

Continue Reading

Crime

Police investigate early hours hit and run in Haverfordwest

Published

on

POLICE in Haverfordwest are investigating a road traffic collision which occurred at about 2.00am in the morning on Wednesday (Jul 17).

A vehicle collided with two pedestrians on Barn Street, the Pembrokeshire Herald understands.

One man was taken to hospital, with the police stating that his injuries are not believed to be life threatening.

The vehicle, described as a white van, possibly a Ford Transit, allegedly left the scene

Enquiries are now ongoing to urgently trace the vehicle, and to find out who was driving it.

The police have asked that anyone who witnessed the collision, or anyone with information that could help officers with their investigation, is asked to report it to Dyfed-Powys Police.

You can report any information you may have online at: https://bit.ly/DPPContactOnline, by emailing [email protected], or by calling 101.

If you are deaf, hard of hearing, or speech impaired text the non-emergency number on 07811 311 908. Quote reference: DP-20240717-024

Alternatively, contact the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously by calling 0800 555111, or visiting crimestoppers-uk.org.

Continue Reading

Crime

Haverfordwest man denies sexual assaults on boys under nine

Published

on

A 41-YEAR-OLD Haverfordwest man has appeared before magistrates charged with sexually assaulting a boy under 13 on at least 44 separate occasions.

Andrew James is accused of assaulting a boy, aged four to six, by sexual touching on at least 36 occasions between March 10, 2021 and August 7, 2023; assaulting a boy aged three to nine, by sexual touching on at least four occasions between July 22, 2017 and August 7, 2023 and a third charge of assaulting a boy aged three to nine, by sexual touching on at least four occasions between July 22, 2017 and August 7, 2023. The offences are alleged to have taken place in Haverfordwest.

Andrew James, of Redhill Park, Haverfordwest, denied all three charges when he appeared before Haverfordwest magistrates on Tuesday.

Following a request by the Crown Prosecution, magistrates declined jurisdiction and the matter will now proceed at Swansea Crown Court on July 30.

James was released on conditional bail, the conditions being that he has no unsupervised contact with children under the age of 18, that he does not enter the property where the offences are alleged to have taken place and that he lives and sleeps at his residential address.

Continue Reading

Health20 hours ago

No improvement in cancer waiting times despite Welsh Govt plan

TWO years after the Welsh Government unveiled its ambitious plan to overhaul cancer care and reduce waiting times, the latest...

News1 day ago

Former school devastated by fire revealed as £2m drug factory just weeks ago

A SIGNFICANT blaze that led to the collapse of the roof of a former primary school in west Wales occurred...

Crime2 days ago

Thai woman accused of killing son in appears in court

A THAI woman accused of killing her seven-year-old son has made a court appearance. Papaipit Linse, 43, of Upper Market...

Crime2 days ago

Police investigate early hours hit and run in Haverfordwest

POLICE in Haverfordwest are investigating a road traffic collision which occurred at about 2.00am in the morning on Wednesday (Jul...

Charity2 days ago

King’s speech highlights focus on economic growth and defence

ON WEDNESDAY (Jul 17), the King delivered his Speech, outlining the government’s priorities for the coming year. Central to the...

Crime2 days ago

Haverfordwest man denies sexual assaults on boys under nine

A 41-YEAR-OLD Haverfordwest man has appeared before magistrates charged with sexually assaulting a boy under 13 on at least 44...

News3 days ago

First Minister quits after less than four months in job

FIRST MINISTER Vaughan Gething has announced his resignation. Gething did not offer any apologies for the events of the past...

News3 days ago

LIVE – Welsh Government ministers quit and call for First Minister to go

FOUR senior ministers of the Welsh Government have dramatically tendered their resignations in a bold protest against the leadership of...

Crime4 days ago

Ex-mayor gets suspended sentence for child images offences

A FORMER mayor of Pembroke Dock has been given a suspended jail sentence for the possession and distribution of indecent...

Community5 days ago

Sumatran tiger cub named Zaza is first ever born in a Welsh zoo

MANOR WILDLIFE PARK said this week that it is thrilled to announce the birth of a Sumatran tiger cub, named...

Popular This Week