Crime
Merthyr men accused after Pembrokeshire pub altercation
THREE MEN from Merthyr Tydfil are facing serious charges following a violent incident at The Boathouse in Saundersfoot on Friday (Oct 28) 2022.
James O’Neill, 53, is accused of grievous bodily harm with intent. His son, Aron O’Neill, 25, and nephew, Shaun Nicholas, 24, are charged with causing actual bodily harm.
Confrontation caught on CCTV
The altercation, captured on CCTV, began after a reported dispute involving James O’Neill and the complainant, Stephen Kanauros. Witnesses testified that O’Neill struck Kanauros to the ground after an earlier confrontation with staff and an alleged incident involving Kanauros’ wife.
James O’Neill has previous convictions for actual bodily harm, dating back to 1989.
Witness accounts
Key witnesses gave evidence at Swansea Crown Court today, detailing the events leading up to the violent encounter.
Jasmine Kanauros, the victim’s daughter, recounted how her stepmother, Kate, was shoved by James O’Neill while dancing near the door. “She stumbled backwards, and that got everyone’s attention,” Jasmine said. Her father intervened, shouting, “That’s my wife,” before rushing to her defence. Jasmine described the moment their heads collided and hearing someone shout, “He’s biting him.”
Adam Bolwell, who was with Jasmine at the time, also described the escalation. “Stephen got up between Kate and the man, and then the kerfuffle happened again,” he said, adding that he later saw James O’Neill latch onto Stephen’s face during the struggle.
Harry Lewis, another witness, described the chaotic scene. “There was grappling, grabbing—so many people around him. It was like a tornado of people,” he said. Lewis also saw blood on the victim’s lip and a towel being used to stem the bleeding.
James Olliet, another onlooker, testified about seeing punches thrown and the aftermath of the fight. “I couldn’t tell if the blood on the man’s face was his or someone else’s,” he said. After the defendants walked away, shouting at staff, police arrived and reportedly recovered a piece of the victim’s lip near the pub’s entrance.
Gruesome discovery
Colin Barrett, a member of the band playing at the pub that night, testified about the gruesome discovery. “We had just started playing ‘Proud Mary’ when I noticed something going on,” Barrett said. Later, while loading equipment into a van, he found a piece of the victim’s lip outside the pub door. “I took a photo and zoomed in—it was the lip,” he told the court.
Medical testimony
Medical experts highlighted the severity of Stephen Kanauros’ injuries. A facial and plastic surgeon testified that the victim suffered a significant wound to his lower lip, a gum tear, and puncture wounds to his face and fingers. “The patient was taken to the theatre under local anaesthetic,” the surgeon said.
The trial continues.
Crime
Milford Haven man admits assault and harassment charges
A MILFORD HAVEN has admitted assaulting a family member and harassing another relative following incidents in the town last year.
Wayne Whatling, 39, of Howarth Close, Milford Haven, appeared before Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (May 21).
Whatling changed his pleas to guilty to one charge of assault by beating and one charge of harassment without violence.
The assault charge relates to an incident in Milford Haven on September 13, 2025, when Whatling assaulted Ben Whatling by beating him.
He also admitted pursuing a course of conduct amounting to harassment against Carol Whatling between September 1 and September 13, 2025.
The court heard the harassment allegation involved repeatedly asking Carol Whatling for money, with the complainant said to have feared repercussions if she did not provide it.
Magistrates adjourned the case for the preparation of a pre-sentence report.
Whatling was remanded on conditional bail and ordered not to contact Carol or Ben Whatling directly or indirectly.
He is due to be sentenced at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday (June 9).
Crime
Milford Haven man admits affray after alleged pub incident
A MILFORD HAVEN man has admitted affray following an incident at a town centre pub.
Stephen Collier, 38, of Vaynor Road, Milford Haven, appeared before Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (May 21).
Collier has pleaded guilty to affray, relating to an incident at Nos Da, Victoria Road, Milford Haven, on December 3, 2025.
The charge states that he used unlawful violence towards John Dean Hilton and that his conduct was such as would cause a person of reasonable firmness present at the scene to fear for their personal safety.
Collier also faces a separate charge of burglary dwelling with intent to inflict grievous bodily harm. It is alleged that, on the same date, he entered a flat at Nos Da as a trespasser and inflicted grievous bodily harm on Mr Hilton. He denies that charge.
The court also dealt with a breach of bail allegation after Collier was arrested on May 20 for allegedly breaching a curfew condition. He admitted the breach.
Magistrates re-admitted him to conditional bail.
His bail conditions include a daily electronically monitored curfew between 9:00pm and 6:00am, residence at his Vaynor Road address, and exclusions from Mount Estate, Milford Haven town centre, and Nos Da.
He must also not contact prosecution witnesses, including Molly Martin, Jack Martin, Lily Rose Martin and John Hilton.
Collier is due to appear at Swansea Crown Court on Friday, June 5, for sentence.
A spokesperson for Nos Da said the incident was connected with rooms upstairs at the Victoria Road premises, and did not take place in the bar itself, in the licensed area.
Crime
Carmarthen woman accused of Tenby hotel assault and criminal damage
A CARMARTHEN woman is due to appear at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court accused of assault and criminal damage at a Tenby hotel.
Kerry McReynolds, 35, of Trem Y Coleg, Carmarthen, is charged with assaulting Ryan Mayne by beating him in Tenby on May 9.
She is also accused of damaging potted plants worth £35 belonging to Tenby House Hotel on May 10.
McReynolds appeared before Llanelli Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (May 21) for a bail variation application.
She was remanded on conditional bail, with a condition not to enter Tenby House Hotel.
Her next hearing is listed for Tuesday (May 26) at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court.
-
News2 days agoWatchdog criticises health board over £10m GP contract checks
-
Crime4 days agoFarm owner in court after 26 dogs removed over welfare concerns
-
News3 days agoPaul Davies meets Openreach Cymru at the Senedd to discuss Full Fibre rollout
-
Crime4 days agoTree surgeon sentenced for failing to provide breath test
-
Crime4 days agoPembrokeshire teenager admits driving almost four times over drug-drive limit
-
News4 days agoMilford man admits handling stolen goods from three local properties
-
Crime6 days agoBuilder jailed for £82,000 fraud affecting 18 victims
-
Crime4 days agoPembroke Dock drink-driver arrested on Cleddau Bridge






