Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Council’s budget postponed as more funding received

Published

on

PEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL’s efforts to set its budget and determine next year’s Council Tax were thrown into disarray on Thursday, February 20, as councillors voted to adjourn the decision amid uncertainty over funding from the Welsh Government.

Councillors had gathered to scrutinise the proposed budget based on forecast financial settlements. However, before discussions could begin, standing orders were suspended after it emerged that the Welsh Government planned to issue the actual financial settlement for Pembrokeshire later that same day, potentially after the budget and Council Tax had been set.

This development meant councillors were being asked to make critical financial decisions based on incomplete information. Moving for an adjournment, Cllr Jamie Adams highlighted that even a small increase in Welsh Government funding could significantly alter which cuts were necessary and the level of Council Tax required.

Cllr Joshua Beynon, Cabinet Member for Corporate Finance and Efficiencies, acknowledged the point, stating he did not yet know the exact impact of the updated settlement, whether it would be an additional £100,000 or £2 million.

Following debate, councillors voted to adjourn the budget-setting meeting until March 6, by which time the Cabinet is expected to have greater clarity on overall grant funding, including allocations for specific projects outside the core budget settlement.

Scepticism remains over the process. One councillor told The Herald: “Being cynical, they hoped to get 9.85% through and, hey presto, a large chunk from the Welsh Government, for which certain Cabinet members would take credit and utilise as they see fit. One thing’s for sure, if the budget and council tax had been passed before the extra money was announced, we wouldn’t be returning for a ‘let’s lower Council Tax Day’!”

Another councillor added: “They (the Cabinet) knew the money was coming in but didn’t want to tell the public.”

The Conservative Group was even more critical. Cllr Aled Thomas, the Conservative spokesperson for finance, said: “The Cabinet have been caught red-handed playing fast and loose with public finances, asking for extortionate council tax rises today despite knowing they were likely to have additional funding tomorrow.

“As councillors, we owe it to the people of Pembrokeshire to spend their money wisely, focusing on statutory services and not vanity projects. The Cabinet and leader have clearly lost the confidence of the chamber, and they should consider stepping down for the benefit of the people of Pembrokeshire.”

Shortly after the budget meeting was adjourned, the Welsh Government confirmed a funding floor of 3.8% for local authorities, significantly increasing the money available to Pembrokeshire County Council.

In response, the council issued an official statement: Pembrokeshire County Council budget discussion adjourned. Councillors have voted to adjourn the budget decision to a future meeting, following the full announcement of Welsh Government funding for local authorities.

At a meeting of Full Council on February 20, it was agreed to reconvene to set the budget for 2025-26 on March 6. Local authorities have a statutory requirement to agree on a balanced budget before March 11.

Cabinet Member for Corporate Finance and Efficiencies, Cllr Joshua Beynon, said: “I am committed to ensuring we work across the council chamber to deliver a budget before the legal deadline.”

Speaking to The Herald, IPG Leader, Cllr Huw Murphy said: “For Pembrokeshire County Council Cabinet to sanction a Council Tax setting meeting prior to knowing the full financial settlement from WG was surprising and not something the Independent Group could support hence the Notice to adjourn.

“It was clear at today’s meeting that Cabinet did not have the confidence of the majority of Council members to continue with their recommendation to debate and vote upon a Council Tax of 9.85%.

“Following a short recess it was decided that Full Council will reconvene on March 6th to debate and decide the level of Council Tax that will be imposed on the hard working residents of Pembrokeshire.

“The Independent Group has every belief that their decisive move to adjourn Full Council will ultimately result in a lower Council Tax being levied to the 9.85% recommended by Cabinet today.

“The Independent Group comprise members from all over Pembrokeshire, all steadfast in their aim of protecting essential services but not forgetting the tremendous burden Council Tax bills impose on many households, many being pensioners on fixed incomes who have no easy remedy to ever increasing bills foisted upon them and this has to be considered when raising Council Tax.

“The question for Cabinet to consider is should they now put forward an alternative budget for March 6th recommending a Council Tax of less than 9.85% why did they recommend this level of Council Tax to Full Council today when not in possession of the full financial picture?”

With tensions running high and accusations of political manoeuvring, the coming weeks will determine how the council moves forward in setting a budget that reflects the updated funding available.

Community

Local firefighters to run search and rescue training exercise ‘High & Dry’

Published

on

MID and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service (MAWWFRS) will be carrying out a realistic Search and Rescue training exercise on Monday (Apr 7), aimed at enhancing emergency response capabilities.

The exercise, named ‘High & Dry’, will take place between 6:30pm and 8:30pm at Crown Buildings, Church Street, Llanelli. The session will allow crews to practise specialist rescue techniques, including Rescue from Height using the Turntable Ladder.

To ensure a lifelike environment, synthetic smoke will be used during the training. Members of the public may notice smoke escaping from windows and doors, or see emergency vehicles and personnel at the scene. The fire service is reassuring residents that there is no cause for concern.

Watch Manager Gavin Wilkins said: “It’s vital to utilise real buildings as it provides a realistic environment and opportunity to prepare our crews to effectively deal with incidents of this nature. We would like to thank the owners of Crown Buildings in Llanelli for the use of the premises for this exercise.”

The service also thanked the public for their cooperation and understanding while crews undertake this important training.

Continue Reading

Crime

Fined for dropping cigarette at Milford Haven Tesco

Published

on

A LLANELLI man who dropped a cigarette outside Tesco in Milford Haven has been fined over £570 after failing to attend court.

Mark Evens, aged 42, of Llys Westfa, Llanelli, was found guilty in his absence at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (Apr 3).

The court heard that on September 3, 2024, Evens discarded a cigarette butt in a public place to which section 87 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 applied.

He was fined £220 and ordered to pay a victim surcharge of £88 and prosecution costs of £266.66. A collection order was made, and the full balance of £574.66 must be paid by May 1.

Continue Reading

Crime

Court adjourns marine enforcement case

Published

on

A SWANSEA man failed to appear in court after being accused of refusing to comply with a marine enforcement officer.

Ieuan Rhys Davies, aged 29, of Seaview Terrace, Penclawdd, is accused of failing to stop his vessel when directed by Marine Enforcement Officer Matthew Dawkins on June 6, 2024.

The case, brought under the Marine and Coastal Access Act 2009, was adjourned until May 1 at 2:00pm.

Magistrates have ordered that Davies must attend the next hearing or risk a warrant being issued for his arrest.

Continue Reading

Charity10 hours ago

Royal visit celebrates Pembrokeshire charity’s community impact

STAFF, volunteers and visiting pupils at Lower Treginnis Farm were delighted to welcome a very special guest on Wednesday (April...

Business22 hours ago

Valero refinery escapes Trump’s new tariffs

Fuel imports spared as US tries to avoid price hikes THE VALERO oil refinery in Pembroke has escaped the impact...

Crime1 day ago

Leaked messages point to leadership crisis at HMP Parc

Staff mocked suicide and bragged about assaults as G4S failed to intervene A CULTURE of violence, cruelty and neglect flourished...

News1 day ago

Cleddau Bridge Hotel site housing development takes a step forward

CASTELL GROUP, in partnership with Pembrokeshire County Council, have completed the sale for the redevelopment of the former Cleddau Bridge...

Business1 day ago

Pembrokeshire Council rules out ‘toxic tourism tax’ – for now

VISITORS to Pembrokeshire will not face a new overnight tourism tax—at least not during the current county council administration. As...

News2 days ago

Shellfish gathering labelled ‘out of control’ in Saundersfoot

COUNCILLOR DEMANDS ACTION AS 250 COCKLE PICKERS DESCEND ON LOCAL BEACH ANGER is growing in Saundersfoot after more than 200...

Crime2 days ago

In court charged with intentional strangulation of woman

A PEMBROKESHIRE man is to appear before a Crown Court judge for trial charged with the intentional strangulation of a...

Crime2 days ago

Leaked messages reveal shocking culture at HMP Parc amid misconduct probe

The facility houses many prisoners from Pembrokeshire, and is the largest jail in Wales A SERIES of leaked messages obtained...

Business2 days ago

SpaceX eyes Milford Haven for new UK facility

Talks underway for rocket factory at former Black Bridge armament depot SPACE-X, the aerospace company founded by billionaire Elon Musk,...

Crime3 days ago

Victims praised as 1980s child rapist jailed for 16 years

A POLICE detective has praised the “immense strength” of two survivors of child sexual abuse after their attacker was finally...

Popular This Week