Politics
Landslide Pembrokeshire coast path could be shut until June
A SECTION of a south Pembrokeshire beach-side coastal path, recently closed once again after a number of landslips, is expected to remain so until at least the start of the summer season.
In January a further fall happened towards the western end of the Wisemans Bridge to Coppet Hall cycleway, between the Coppet Hall and Wisemans Bridge tunnels, affecting access between Wisemans Bridge and Coppet Hall beach.
The top path remains open.
The coastal path, known as the Tramway, was previously closed after it experienced ‘substantial rock falls’ in late 2023 and early 2024, with substantial investment made by the council to reopen the route before the latest landslides.
A temporary prohibition order affecting access has now been made by the local authority.
It states: “The Order is necessary to ensure the safety of the public from the eroding cliff face and follows two public notices previously issued under this same Act advising of this restriction.
“The effect of the Order will be to temporarily prohibit all vehicular and non-vehicular traffic other than exempted vehicles from proceeding along the Public Right of Way SP42/P1/3 Coppet Hall to Wisemans Bridge – from Coppet Hall Point, northeast to its junction with the access road leading towards Hean Castle.
“It is intended that the restrictions, which will be signed accordingly, will come into effect on Thursday, February 27, and remain in force for approximately four months.
“The Order will remain valid for a maximum period of six months as a contingency should the works need to be rescheduled or in the event of any unforeseen circumstances.”
During last year’s works, local councillor Chris Williams hit out at “selfish” path users putting others at risk by repeatedly cutting open safety barriers and fencing while the repair works were being undertaken.
Barriers and warning signs were put in place at the entrance to the ‘short tunnel’ – the first of the two which lead from Coppet Hall to Wisemans Bridge, along with fencing on the Wisemans side.
But because the signs have been ignored by some people, along with damage caused, a gate was put in place on the Coppet Hall side.
Fencing on the opposite side was also targeted, with a hole cut through.
Business
New facilities at Haverfordwest Target Shooting Club agreed
A CALL by a Pembrokeshire shooting club for more disability-friendly facilities has been given the go-ahead by county planners.
In an application to Pembrokeshire County Council, Haverfordwest Target Shooting Club, through agent Andrew Sutton Architecture, sought permission for an extension to existing target shooting club building at The Firing Range, Withybush Road, Haverfordwest to improve accessibility and internal facilities, together with associated landscaping works.
A supporting statement said: “The club’s own published history states it was founded in 1968, moved from the Drill Hall to the old wartime airfield butts at Withybush by the early 1970s, and had developed facilities over time, including the clubhouse by 1999. The established leisure/community use has existed on the site for a number of years and the proposal does not seek to intensify the core activity beyond that already authorised/established.”
It added: “The primary objective of the scheme is to improve inclusive access to the club’s facilities for disabled users and those with reduced mobility. The internal arrangement will provide adequate entrance and lobby space, clear accessible routes and appropriately designed sanitary accommodation, including an accessible wetroom/shower and separate WC.”
It also said accessible parking and surfacing designed to provide a firm, even, slip-resistant route from parking to the principal entrance.
It added: “The Equality Act 2010 places duties on service providers to make reasonable adjustments so that people with additional access needs are not placed at a substantial disadvantage.
“The proposal is therefore a positive enhancement to a community/leisure facility and supports wider policy objectives for inclusive environments.”
It went on to say: “The club operates within a highly controlled environment, and the proposed works will maintain and enhance safety and security measures.”
The application was conditionally approved by planners.
News
Watchdog criticises health board over £10m GP contract checks
A HEALTH board has been criticised by Audit Wales after GP contracts worth more than £10m were awarded without sufficient due diligence checks.
Aneurin Bevan University Health Board allowed a GP partnership associated with eHarley Street Primary Care Solutions to take on eight GP contracts in south-east Wales, with a combined annual value of around £10.1m.
Audit Wales said the board should have carried out greater scrutiny before approving the arrangements, including checks on financial resilience, workforce plans, business risks and the partnership’s ability to manage several practices at once.
However, the watchdog found no evidence of fraud and noted the board was dealing with significant pressure in general practice, including vacant contracts and limited interest from other bidders.
The report said weaknesses in governance and scrutiny contributed to later disruption and uncertainty for patients and staff when problems emerged.
Concerns included financial and workforce pressures, unpaid invoices, and issues relating to tax and pension payments. Some contracts were later handed back, requiring the health board to step in to protect services.
Natasha Asghar MS, Welsh Conservative Shadow Cabinet Minister for Health and Social Care, said the findings were “deeply concerning”.
She said: “Patients and staff were left facing disruption and uncertainty because proper scrutiny was not carried out before these contracts were awarded.
“The Welsh Conservatives believe lessons must be learned to ensure robust checks are in place, protect frontline services and restore confidence in primary care across Wales.”
Aneurin Bevan University Health Board accepted the recommendations and said it had already strengthened its processes.
Audit Wales said the case highlighted the need for stronger checks before GP contracts are transferred, particularly when a single partnership is taking on multiple practices in a short period.
News
Welsh Conservatives demand clarity over EHRC guidance in schools
THE WELSH CONSERVATIVES have called on the Welsh Government to clarify whether new Equality and Human Rights Commission guidance will be implemented in schools across Wales.
Shadow education minister Sam Rowlands MS has written to Cabinet Minister for Education and the Welsh Language Anna Brychan MS following the UK Supreme Court ruling on the Equality Act.
Mr Rowlands said schools, teachers, governors and parents needed clear answers on how the guidance would apply in practice, including on single-sex spaces, safeguarding, changing facilities and sports participation.
He said: “Parents, teachers and pupils deserve clarity from the Welsh Government.
“Schools cannot be left in limbo while ministers avoid making a decision on such an important safeguarding and legal issue.
“The Equality Act applies in Wales, and schools now need clear guidance on what this means in practice.”
In his letter, Mr Rowlands asks whether updated guidance will be issued to schools in Wales, whether schools will be expected to amend existing policies, and what advice will be given to headteachers on safeguarding and compliance with the Equality Act.
He also asks whether the Welsh Government intends to diverge from the approach set out by the EHRC.
The letter says schools and parents require “clear and consistent guidance” to ensure the rights, dignity and safety of all pupils are respected.
-
News22 hours agoWatchdog criticises health board over £10m GP contract checks
-
Crime3 days agoFarm owner in court after 26 dogs removed over welfare concerns
-
News2 days agoPaul Davies meets Openreach Cymru at the Senedd to discuss Full Fibre rollout
-
Crime3 days agoTree surgeon sentenced for failing to provide breath test
-
Crime4 days agoPembrokeshire teenager admits driving almost four times over drug-drive limit
-
News3 days agoMilford man admits handling stolen goods from three local properties
-
Crime5 days agoBuilder jailed for £82,000 fraud affecting 18 victims
-
Crime4 days agoPembroke Dock drink-driver arrested on Cleddau Bridge






