Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

2026 could be year of ‘hope and new leadership’ for Wales, says Plaid Cymru leader

Published

on

PLAID CYMRU leader Rhun ap Iorwerth has said that 2026 could mark a turning point for Wales, describing it as a year of “hope and new leadership”.

Acknowledging the challenges facing people across Wales – including long NHS waiting times, rising living costs and economic inequality – Mr ap Iorwerth said his party offered the leadership the country needed after 27 years of Labour-led government.

The next Senedd election will be held on Thursday, May 7, 2026.

Plaid Cymru is currently polling ahead of Reform UK in Wales, according to recent surveys. Mr ap Iorwerth said the election would be a “two-horse race” between the two parties, presenting voters with what he described as a clear choice between “two futures”.

He said one option would take Wales “backwards”, while the other would focus on leadership that “stands up for Wales, brings people together and improves everyday life”.

Plaid Cymru’s stated priorities include reducing NHS waiting times, easing financial pressures on families through an expanded childcare offer, supporting Welsh businesses and local jobs, and building what the party describes as a fairer and more confident Wales.

Speaking at the start of the new year, Mr ap Iorwerth said: “A new year is a chance to look ahead with hope and optimism, and there is real reason to be hopeful because 2026 can be the year everything changes for the better for Wales.

“We all know things are not as good as they should be. It’s hard to see a doctor, bills are rising, and Wales is too often treated as an afterthought by Westminster. Across our country, people are ready for something new.

“On May 7, 2026, the people of Wales will have the chance to choose that new future.

“Labour has long given up on Wales. The choice is between politics that looks backwards and thrives on division, or leadership that stands up for Wales and brings people together.

“A Plaid Cymru government would focus on improving everyday life – getting the NHS back on track, easing pressure on families with a transformative childcare offer, backing Welsh businesses and local jobs, and building a fairer, more confident Wales.

“This new year can be the start of something better for Wales – a bold new chapter in our nation’s history. I look forward to speaking with people across Wales in the coming months and working hard to earn their trust.”

 

News

Press regulator backs Herald reporting following Ajay Owen complaint

Published

on

THE UK’s independent press regulator has rejected a complaint from Ajay Owen about a Pembrokeshire Herald article, concluding there were no grounds to investigate any breach of the Editors’ Code of Practice.

The complaint related to an article published on November 25, 2025, headlined “SARS boss published children’s photos, named social-workers and claims ‘legal trafficking’”.

After reviewing the complaint, the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO) determined that the concerns raised did not identify a possible breach of the Code, including allegations relating to accuracy and privacy.

Accuracy complaints dismissed

Mr Owen argued that the article was inaccurate in several respects, including references to photographs of children appearing in social media posts, concerns raised by residents, and the description of a contact number as a personal number.

IPSO found that where it was not disputed that posts included images containing children, it was not inaccurate or misleading to report that photographs of children had been published.

The regulator also concluded it was not significantly inaccurate to report that concerns had been raised by residents in both Pembrokeshire and Ceredigion, noting the central point was that community members had expressed concerns.

IPSO further found no significant inaccuracy in describing a contact number linked to the organisation as a personal number.

In relation to references to named social workers appearing in posts, IPSO noted that Mr Owen appeared to accept posting the names, and therefore it was not misleading to report concerns raised by residents about that action.

Mr Owen also alleged a breach of privacy over the publication of an image showing him alongside a logo and signature.

IPSO concluded that the photograph was clearly a public-facing professional headshot connected to his role, and therefore there was no reasonable expectation of privacy.

Because IPSO determined the complaint did not raise a possible breach of the Editors’ Code, the regulator decided there were no grounds to open a formal investigation.

Mr Owen has the right to request a review of the decision by IPSO’s Complaints Committee within seven days.

A spokesperson for The Herald said: “We welcome IPSO’s decision, which confirms that our reporting met the required standards of accuracy and responsible journalism.”

 

Continue Reading

Local Government

Milford Haven Hakin by-election candidates confirmed

Published

on

THE LIST of candidates standing in the upcoming Pembrokeshire County Council by-election for the Milford Haven: Hakin ward has been published.

Nominations have now closed, and the official Statement of Persons Nominated has been released by the local authority.

Eight candidates will contest the seat. They are:

  • Derrick Abbott – Independent
  • Sam Booth – Wales Green Party
  • Lee James Bridges – Independent
  • Duncan Edwards – Independent
  • Nicola Catherine Harteveld – Welsh Labour
  • Brian Taylor – Welsh Conservative Party
  • Scott Thorley – Reform UK
  • Sam Warden – Welsh Liberal Democrats

The by-election will take place on Tuesday, March 17.

Residents wishing to vote must ensure they are registered by midnight on Friday, February 27. Applications can be made online via the UK Government website.

Applications for new postal votes, or changes to existing postal voting arrangements, must be received by 5:00pm on Monday, March 2. Applications to vote by proxy must be submitted by 5:00pm on Monday, March 9.

Poll cards will be sent to registered electors ahead of the election. The council has confirmed that registered 16 and 17-year-olds, along with qualifying foreign nationals, are eligible to vote in this election.

Photographic identification will not be required at polling stations.

The full Statement of Persons Nominated, including full party descriptions, is available on the Pembrokeshire County Council website.

 

Continue Reading

Local Government

Independent Group reshuffle as council tax budget battle looms

Published

on

Leadership change confirmed weeks before key vote amid warning over school cuts

PEMBROKESHIRE County Council’s Independent Group has confirmed a change in its leadership arrangements following a meeting held on Tuesday (Feb 18), with the changes taking effect from March 23, 2026.

Cllr Anji Tinley

Cllr Anji Tinley will become Group Leader, while Cllr Elwyn Morse will serve as Deputy Group Leader and take on the role of Chair of the Services Overview and Scrutiny Committee. Cllr Michael John will remain Chair of the Corporate Overview and Scrutiny Committee, and Cllr Huw Murphy will become Chair of the Social Care Overview and Scrutiny Committee.

The changes reflect the forthcoming appointment of Cllr Delme Harries as Chair of Council at the Annual Meeting on May 15. Under council rules, the Chair of Council cannot simultaneously hold a scrutiny chair role.

The Independent Group also confirmed it will not support the Cabinet’s proposed budget, which includes a 4.6% council tax rise for 2026/27 and a 2% reduction — approximately £2 million — in individual school budgets.

Group members said they hoped councillors across the chamber could work together to agree a budget that avoids cuts to education, particularly in light of recent Estyn inspections that have placed three schools into special measures with safeguarding concerns identified.

However, the Group warned that if a budget is approved that imposes what it described as substantial school funding reductions, it will consider invoking constitutional powers to bring forward a motion to rescind the decision.

 

Continue Reading

Local Government4 hours ago

Milford Haven Hakin by-election candidates confirmed

THE LIST of candidates standing in the upcoming Pembrokeshire County Council by-election for the Milford Haven: Hakin ward has been...

Crime1 day ago

Telecom vandal admits causing £33,000 damage to Pembroke Dock network

Fibre cables cut in early-morning incident that triggered major service disruption A PEMBROKE DOCK man has admitted causing more than...

Community2 days ago

Smiles all round for Pancake Day celebrations in Tenby

TENBY was filled with laughter, cheers and the smell of freshly cooked pancakes on Tuesday (Feb 17) as the town’s...

Crime2 days ago

Man charged with GBH with intent following incident involving ‘Pembrokeshire Patriot’

Defendant remanded in custody as case linked to police raids on Friday A MAN has been charged with causing grievous...

Business3 days ago

Svitzer crews at Milford Haven vote for industrial action in pay dispute

Union ballot raises concerns over potential disruption at key UK energy port SVITZER crews working in the Port of Milford...

Crime3 days ago

Pembroke Dock raids: One man in court today as three released on bail

Update follows major Gordon Street operation reported on Friday ONE man is due to appear in court today (Monday, Feb...

Local Government3 days ago

Ex-councillor Brian Rothero disqualified for three years after code breaches upheld

Second tribunal sanction in weeks deepens long-running town council turmoil A FORMER Neyland town councillor has been banned from holding...

News4 days ago

Sea Empress: 30 years since the grounding that transformed safety in Milford Haven

Human error, storm conditions and salvage decisions combined in one of Britain’s worst maritime disasters THIRTY years ago this week,...

Health5 days ago

NHS pay row erupts as ministers confirm 3.3% rise

Unions warn award amounts to real-terms cut as inflation remains above headline figure NHS staff across Wales will receive a...

Crime5 days ago

Governors defend leadership at Milford Haven School after stabbing incident

GOVERNORS at Milford Haven Comprehensive School have issued a public statement responding to concerns about leadership and staffing following last...

Popular This Week