Entertainment
BBC presenter Scott Mills sacked amid historic allegation involving under-16
A FORMER BBC Radio 1 and Radio 2 presenter has been dismissed by the broadcaster following allegations relating to his personal conduct, with police confirming that the complainant at the centre of a historic investigation was under the age of sixteen.
Scott Mills, aged 53, was previously questioned by officers from the Metropolitan Police in 2018 in connection with allegations of serious sexual offences said to date back between 1997 and 2000.
The investigation, which began in 2016 following a referral from another force, was later closed in May 2019 after the Crown Prosecution Service concluded there was insufficient evidence to bring charges.
Police have now confirmed that the individual at the centre of the allegations was under sixteen at the time.
A spokesperson for the Metropolitan Police said the case involved “allegations of serious sexual offences against a teenage boy”, adding that a man in his forties at the time was interviewed under caution before a full file was passed to prosecutors.
No charges were brought.
BBC confirms departure
The BBC confirmed on Monday that Mills is no longer working for the corporation, but declined to provide further detail on the reasons behind his departure.
A spokesperson said: “While we do not comment on matters relating to individuals, we can confirm Scott Mills is no longer contracted to work with the BBC.”
It remains unclear whether the historic police investigation played any role in the decision.
BBC News understands that senior leadership at the time of the investigation, including then Director General Tony Hall, were not aware of the allegations.
Mills has been approached for comment.
Shock exit from flagship show
Mills had most recently presented the Radio 2 breakfast show, taking over from Zoe Ball in January 2025, and had worked for the BBC for more than 25 years.
His final appearance on the programme was on Tuesday (March 24), signing off with “Back tomorrow.” He did not return to air the following day.
Fellow presenter Gary Davies stepped in to cover the slot, alongside overnight DJ OJ Borg, as the broadcaster considers a longer-term replacement.
Colleague Jeremy Vine described the news as “a terrible shame” and said the development had come as a shock to staff.
Former Radio 1 presenter Nihal Arthanayake urged caution, telling ITV that while concern must remain for any alleged victim, “there is a human being – well, there’s two human beings – at the centre of this.”
High-profile career
Mills joined Radio 1 in 1998 and became one of the station’s most recognisable voices, later moving to Radio 2 in 2022. He also hosted the Official Chart Show and appeared on television programmes including Strictly Come Dancing and Comic Relief.
As one of the BBC’s highest-paid presenters, his sudden departure is likely to raise further questions for the corporation, which has faced intense scrutiny in recent years over safeguarding and conduct issues involving on-air talent.
The Herald understands that further details surrounding the circumstances of his departure have not yet been made public.
Entertainment
Torch Youth brings fresh twist to Robin Hood legend
More than 50 young actors will take to the stage at the Torch Theatre this July for a new version of one of Britain’s best-loved stories
Robin Hood: The Legend of the Black Knight has been written especially for Torch Youth Theatre and will run for three nights, from Monday, July 20 to Wednesday, July 22, at 6:30pm.
The production promises adventure, comedy, romance and mystery, while giving the classic tale a fresh Pembrokeshire stage treatment.
Director Tim Howe, who is originally from Nottingham, said the legend had been part of his life since childhood.
He said: “I grew up surrounded by the legendary tales of Robin Hood and his merry men — stories filled with bravery, rebellion and mischief.
“Add to that the brilliantly funny Maid Marian TV series with Tony Robinson, which kept me glued to the TV throughout my childhood, and you can imagine how deeply rooted all the versions of the Robin Hood stories are for me.
“It’s been great to explore them and reimagine them with our young people in mind.”
The story of Robin Hood has been told, retold and reinvented since the 1300s, and the Torch version keeps many familiar ingredients — green-clad heroes, robbing from the rich to give to the poor, a damsel in distress and a power-hungry ruler.
But this new production also changes the legend in unexpected ways.
Tim said: “You’ll find that Prince John has been replaced by his mother, the ruthless Queen Eleanor, and there’s a mysterious Black Knight who keeps popping up.
“We’ve also had a lot of fun developing some of those key members of the gang — Will Scarlett loves to dress up in disguises, and Allan-a-Mor is a musician desperate to find the perfect four-chord song.
“So, it’s the classic legend… sort of!”
Tim described the play as “adventurous, hilarious and heartfelt”, adding that the production had been designed to give every young performer a meaningful moment on stage.
He said: “With large ensemble action-filled moments, to quieter character-driven scenes, there’s space to suit everyone’s skills.
“Torch Youth Theatre aims not just to develop the young people’s acting skills, but also their confidence, teamwork and imagination, and large-scale productions like this are the perfect opportunity to do just that.”
Robin Hood: The Legend of the Black Knight will be staged at the Torch Theatre on Monday, July 20, Tuesday, July 21 and Wednesday, July 22 at 6:30pm.
Tickets cost £10, or £8 for concessions, and can be booked at torchtheatre.co.uk or through the Box Office on 01646 695267.
Community
Step into West Wales history this Half Term with CADW
FAMILIES across Wales can look forward to an action‑packed May half term, as Cadw unveils a jam-packed programme of events at castles, abbeys and historic monuments across the nation.
Running from Saturday May 23 to Sunday May 31, the wide range of events invite visitors to step into Wales’ past through immersive experiences, interactive workshops and hands‑on activities designed to spark curiosity and bring Welsh history to life.
With activities ranging from knight school and jester workshops, to adventure trails and bubble animals there is something for all ages to enjoy this May half-term.
Chief Executive of Cadw, Kate Roberts, said: “May half term is the perfect chance for families to get out and explore the incredible history on their doorstep in Wales. This year’s programme has been designed to be hands-on, engaging and genuinely fun, giving visitors of all ages the chance to connect our nation’s past and spend quality time together outdoors.
“With children going free with any adult membership, it’s a great-value option for families planning a few days out over the holidays. Cadw members enjoy unlimited access to over 130 historic locations across Wales, alongside a range of exclusive benefits, making it easier than ever to discover something new.”
With over 20 events across the school holidays, highlights from the half term line up will include the Strata Florida Abbey Craft Fayre when the abbey will host local arts, crafts and produce, alongside family-friendly activities, guided tours and more.
Also taking place is the Rainbow Gecko Bubbleman at Laugharne Castle on Saturday, May 30 and Sunday May 31 between 11am and 4pm when Bubbleman and the Bubble Faerie will bring a playful dose of magic to the day with their fully interactive bubble performances, featuring giant bubbles, bubble animals and even frozen creations. Visitors of all ages can join in the fun, learn a few tricks and take home their own bubble‑filled memories.
For those looking to take advantage of the events available during May half-term, a Cadw membership offers free event entry and unlimited access to over 130 historic places across Wales, offering a unique way to explore Wales’ rich heritage. Children also go free with any adult membership.
A selection of Cadw’s most fascinating historic places will also be open for guided tours throughout the summer.
To find out more, visit https://cadw.gov.wales/visit/whats-on/guided-tours-cadw
Entertainment
How online slot platforms are improving player safety
WHEN it comes to gambling online, player safety is of utmost importance. There are a number of risks when it comes to online slots, from scams to addiction. But luckily, nowadays, there are a number of measures in place that are effectively improving player safety on these platforms. So, with that in mind, let’s take a closer look at how online slot platforms are ensuring players always remain safe online.
AI-Driven Behaviour Monitoring
AI is being used to track suspicious behaviour, spotting and flagging scammers or fraudulent individuals before they have a chance to make a move. Over the years, this type of technology has advanced significantly, and it’s now more effective at spotting patterns and preventing scams than ever before.
Secure Connections and Payment Systems
Legitimate online slot platforms use encryption and offer a variety of secure payment methods that ensure unauthorised individuals can’t intercept payments or access personal or financial information.
Two-Factor Authentication
Many platforms are now employing two-factor authentication methods, meaning players have to supply two forms of verification to access their account. This extra layer of security makes it more difficult for hijackers to take over accounts and steal personal data or financial information.
Responsible Gambling Tools
Player safety isn’t just about preventing scams or fraud. It’s also about reducing the chances of problematic gambling, which can be incredibly harmful.
Since gambling is known to be addictive, slot machines and online casinos use a number of tools to prevent players from getting carried away or becoming problem gamblers. This includes things like spending limits and time outs, or even full self-exclusions that mean players can’t gamble online for six months, one year, or five years.
Licensed platforms also have a responsibility to keep an eye out for potential problem gambling, and intervene where necessary to protect players from harm.
Safety is the Top Priority
Since gambling moved largely online, maintaining the safety of players through digital means has become incredibly important. When choosing a new online slot platform, or any gambling site, it’s always important to opt for ones that prioritise safety and have the right measures in place to protect players properly.
This includes things like monitoring suspicious or problematic behaviour, using secure connections and payment systems, adding an extra layer of security with two-factor authentication, and using tools such as spending or time limits to ensure habits don’t escalate.
-
News2 days agoWatchdog criticises health board over £10m GP contract checks
-
Crime4 days agoFarm owner in court after 26 dogs removed over welfare concerns
-
News3 days agoPaul Davies meets Openreach Cymru at the Senedd to discuss Full Fibre rollout
-
Crime4 days agoTree surgeon sentenced for failing to provide breath test
-
Crime4 days agoPembrokeshire teenager admits driving almost four times over drug-drive limit
-
News4 days agoMilford man admits handling stolen goods from three local properties
-
Crime6 days agoBuilder jailed for £82,000 fraud affecting 18 victims
-
Crime4 days agoPembroke Dock drink-driver arrested on Cleddau Bridge







