Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Egnedol ‘confident’ that jobs will be delivered

Published

on

Screen Shot 2016-02-02 at 12.18.27

Hi-tech: Proposed power plant could produce up to 350MWe of electricity

THE COMMERCIAL manager of a scheme to bring a pyrolysis power station, a cheese factory and prawn and algae farm to Milford Haven has told a prominent county councillor that he should ‘watch this space’ if he thinks that the plans will not come to fruition.

Phil Johns told The Herald: “The Egnedol project is fully funded with an insurance wrap guaranteeing all stages of the process. We are confident in our ability to deliver – all I can say to Cllr Mike Stoddart is: Watch this space it will happen.”

In an attempt to dampen rumours that the plans were all pie in the sky, Mr Johns confirmed that the project was fully financed with “offshore funding” and that the project was “guaranteed at every stage of the process”. He said that when one stage of the build was completed that the next stage of financing would “follow through”.

He was speaking following comments from Cllr Stoddart that he was sceptical that the plans for the energy £685m project were sound. The scheme would make Pembrokeshire an international standard-bearer for cutting-edge clean energy technology, the company has said.

Speaking to Herald TV last week immediately after Egnedol’s open day in Hazlebeach, Cllr Mike Stoddart said: “It was a very scanty presentation, a few drawings and that was it.

“They seemed very vague about the material they are going to pyrolise. Obviously if it brings hundreds of jobs to Milford Haven then it will be a fantastic asset but I am extremely dubious myself.”

On Wednesday (Jan 20) Cllr Stoddart added to his comments: “I cannot see how they are going to make it pay. I think I saw a figure of 142 staff working at the fish packing facility, along with a figure of 100 tons of fish per year – if this is true they will have very high staff costs.”

“Also the number of people they say will be employed by the new power station will make it a bigger employer than Pembroke Power Station, but it is a much, much smaller facility with one sixth of the output.”

Pembroke Power Station is the largest gas-fired power station in Europe which can generate enough power to supply 3.5 million homes and businesses but only employs around 100 people.

Cllr Stoddart added: “I am baffled as to how this project will work financially. The numbers don’t seem to stack up.”

The Herald caught up with Phil Johns this week outside the Dragon LNG plant on Tuesday (Jan 19).

Asked by our reporter James Hemingrey if the company had any experience in projects like this Mr Johns said: “This is a unique site. The company did have a demonstration unit running in south Wales. The units had been proven with several thousands of hours of running in South Africa.”

He added: “We intend to get our planning application in [to the council] in February this year. Once we have the planning consent in place we are looking at a build time of around twelve months.

“We will be using the jetty to import wood-chip biomass from our own plantations. That biomass will be gasified – superheated in an oxygen free environment. The biogas will then be put through a catalyst that will allow us to produce a clean gas capable of being injected into the national grid, and also used to generate electricity though the use of gas turbines.

“We do have a bi-product in the form of hydrogen and liquid fuels as well which will be exported from the site.

“We have secured our own plantations in Morocco and Greece which basically gives us a good base-load supply”

The 450 jobs which will come to the area for the first part of the development, rising to 550 jobs.

“The project is fully funded with an insurance wrap guaranteeing all stages of the process. We are confident in our ability to deliver – all I can say to Cllr Stoddart is watch this space it will happen.”

According to the company’s website Egnedol Limited was formed to bring together a suite of existing technologies and business partners with a broad range of related expertise.

A statement posted online says: “Our aim is to create an environmentally sustainable centre of excellence at the Waterston and Blackbridge sites in Milford Haven.

“The Milford Haven project will create around 560 permanent jobs and will support and sustain many other positions within existing businesses in the area. A full range of job types will be created, ranging from senior management to part time operative and administrative positions.

“The business model for the project is robust, well funded and the industrial activities created by the project will act as a catalyst that will support businesses in the area.

“Project partners have been secured and will provide inward investment into the project.”

 

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Community

Stix Noodle Bar in Haverfordwest rewards visitors who park and shop local

Published

on

A POPULAR restaurant is taking on one of the town centre’s biggest frustrations with a new initiative designed to ease parking stress and encourage more visitors into the heart of the community.

Stix Noodle Bar has announced a new scheme offering customers money off their bill when they show proof of paid parking in the town.

Under the initiative, diners who present an active parking ticket or parking app booking will receive the equivalent cost of one hour’s parking deducted from their meal bill.

The business says the idea was created in response to ongoing concerns about local parking pressures, while also supporting neighbouring independent traders and encouraging more people to spend time in the town centre.

In a statement released alongside the launch, the restaurant said: “Tired of Haverfordwest’s parking stress? So are we. That’s why we’re doing something about it.”

The team behind the noodle bar is encouraging visitors to “park up, come in, eat well, then go explore some of the brilliant businesses right on our doorstep,” adding that “Haverfordwest is worth stopping for.”

The scheme has already received support from local representatives, including Reform Councillor, Scott Thorley, who praised the move as a practical way to support the town centre economy.

“This is an excellent idea,” he said. “Tackling parking stress while boosting local businesses and footfall in Haverfordwest — this is exactly the practical support our town centre needs.”

 

Continue Reading

Community

Pembrokeshire named UK’s most photographed coastal national park

Published

on

County’s coastline places sixth in UK-wide photo study

PEMBROKESHIRE has been named the most photographed coastal national park in the UK, according to new data from photo curation app Popsa.

The study, which analysed metadata from millions of customer photos uploaded in 2025, ranked Pembrokeshire Coast National Park sixth overall out of the UK’s 15 national parks.

It was the highest-ranked coastal park in the list, ahead of destinations including the Cairngorms, Loch Lomond and the Trossachs, the Yorkshire Dales and Dartmoor.

Popsa gave Pembrokeshire a Photo Index Score of 28, representing 5.76% of all UK national park photography included in the study.

The company said the county’s 186-mile coastline, with its limestone arches, sea stacks, beaches and hidden coves, offered “photographic variety that few parks can match”.

Barafundle Bay was highlighted as one of the most photographed locations, particularly at low tide, while Skomer Island was noted for its puffin colonies, which attract photographers between April and July.

Wales performed strongly overall, with all three national parks appearing in the UK top ten. Eryri, formerly Snowdonia, ranked fifth, Pembrokeshire sixth, and Bannau Brycheiniog, formerly the Brecon Beacons, tenth.

Together, the three Welsh parks accounted for 16.46% of all UK national park photography in the study.

The Lake District topped the list, followed by the South Downs, the Peak District and the New Forest.

Popsa CEO Liam Houghton said: “Wales has three genuinely world-class national parks and this data shows they are clearly on photographers’ radar.

“But there’s a real gap between the quality of the landscapes and the volume of photos being taken there compared to the English parks.”

The findings suggest Pembrokeshire remains one of the UK’s standout destinations for landscape, wildlife and coastal photography, while also underlining the continued importance of the national park to the county’s tourism economy.

 

Continue Reading

Crime

Pembroke woman accused of scrap fraud to appear in court

Published

on

Defendant accused of dishonestly selling vehicle for scrap in Haverfordwest

A PEMBROKE woman is due to appear before magistrates charged with fraud after allegedly selling a vehicle for scrap in Haverfordwest.

Natalie Morris, aged 42, of Corston Lodge, Axton Hill, is accused of fraud by false representation under the Fraud Act 2006.

The allegation relates to an incident said to have taken place in Haverfordwest on Tuesday (Aug 9), 2022, in which Morris allegedly dishonestly made a false representation by selling a silver Toyota Corolla, registration CU52 XBR, for scrap.

The court heard the alleged offence was carried out with the intention of making a financial gain of £313.

The case was listed before Llanelli Magistrates’ Court on Monday (May 18), where a previously issued warrant was withdrawn.

No plea was entered and the matter was adjourned.

Morris is now due to appear before Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court at 10:00am on Tuesday (May 26) for a plea hearing, where she will be asked to enter a guilty or not guilty plea.

 

Continue Reading

Community3 hours ago

Paul Davies MS calls for review of parking charges in Ceredigion following concerns

SENEDD Member for Ceredigion Penfro, Paul Davies, has called on Ceredigion County Council to urgently review its policy on car...

Crime5 hours ago

Former Lostprophets singer’s killing ‘not justified’, jury told

JURORS in the trial of two prisoners accused of murdering former Lostprophets singer Ian Watkins have been told that his...

Health1 day ago

Occupational therapists urge Welsh Government to act before NHS crisis deepens

More than 300 professionals sign open letter calling for prevention-focused care and urgent reform OCCUPATIONAL therapists across Wales are urging...

Community2 days ago

Surfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach

CAMPAIGNERS took to the sea at Broad Haven today in a colourful protest demanding urgent action over sewage pollution in...

Health2 days ago

New NHS regional body raises questions over future hospital services in Pembrokeshire

Health bosses promise better joined-up care — but patients will want assurances over Withybush and travel distances PEMBROKESHIRE patients are...

Local Government3 days ago

Pembrokeshire County Council welcomes new chairman

CLLR DELME HARRIES has been elected chairman of Pembrokeshire County Council for the coming municipal year. Cllr Harries, who was...

News3 days ago

From Milford Mercury to County Hall for Pembrokeshire’s first female leader

Late councillor Mike Stoddart helped hold power to account for decades — now his daughter Tessa Hodgson leads the council...

Business3 days ago

Port reports record turnover, but debt, emissions and senior pay also rise

Annual report shows strong growth and major investment, but underlying figures reveal a more complex picture THE PORT OF MILFORD...

Community3 days ago

DARC radar: Campaigners ask Welsh Government to call in planning application

PARC AGAINST DARC has submitted an official request asking the new Welsh Government to call in the planning application for...

News5 days ago

State Opening overshadowed by Starmer leadership crisis

KING CHARLES has arrived at Parliament for the State Opening as Sir Keir Starmer faces the most serious crisis of...

Popular This Week