News
Controversial school plans for Haverfordwest approved

PEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL has voted in favour of building a new 11-16 school in Haverfordwest.
In a vote taken at the Extraordinary Council meeting on Thursday, February 25, the proposals were passed by 28 votes to 22.
Council Leader Jamie Adams said the council was in a ‘last chance saloon’ and that time was against them to deliver a new school for Haverfordwest.
He added: “I struggle to believe that amalgamation will create better results.”
Cllr Mike Edwards said: “I cannot understand how we are looking for an 11- 19 school in some areas. This is so unfair to the children of Haverfordwest.”
The leader responded: “What would be different to what we currently have? The two schools are performing below par. What would change if we put the two schools together and suddenly expect results to improve? It is not clear what would deliver that improvement.”
Cllr David Lloyd said: “There have been 30 years of neglect, it is time to change, this is now the time. I am of the conviction that what we have is an amazingly exciting project. This is too amazing an opportunity to pass up.”
Speaking for the first time on the matter, Cllr Peter Stock talked about the need to create a state of the art 11-19 school that was fit for the 21st century and making sure our children has got the best possible education for the future.
Cllr David Howlett said: “I don’t react well to being threatened. Choice is very important in all public services.”
He also highlighted the letter from the Welsh Government’s Deputy Minister for Education which indicated a preference.
Cllr Howlett added: “What is the point of consultation when we are given a steer like this. There is no point in going to consultation when we have a steer that this is the preferred option and I don’t know why we are here.”
Cllr Jonathan Nutting highlighted that the council had made a decision to amalgamate schools in Angle to try and improve results and questioned the leaders’ comments.
Cllr Reg Owens said there had been a ‘great deal of scaremongering’ from the Cabinet member for Education Susan Perkins and from the leader.
Cllr Ken Rowlands suggested that the parents were putting ideas into the children’s heads and that they would express a view that wasn’t theirs.
Responding to that comment, Cllr Jacob Williams said that Cllr Rowlands had insulted the intelligence of the children.
He added: “I have never been more strongly of the opinion that Haverfordwest is in danger of losing 21st century funding entirely. We are in a last chance saloon but look at the time that has been wasted.
“Whether or not this project goes ahead, it is not the Trust’s doing that we are in this position.”
Cllr Stan Hudson highlighted that 72% of people were in favour of an 11-19 schools and of the 4000 letters that were received, that represented 2800 in favour.
He said: “Did we listen? No, we ignored them and a recommendation for an 11-16 school has been advanced. Who are the faceless people that put these ideas forward?”
Cllr Mike Evans challenged the Haverfordwest members who had not done so to speak up on the matter and added that the whole plan has been a mess from the beginning.
Cllr Mike John said he felt his back was against the wall because of the timescales and that he was minded to go with the proposals.
Cllr Mike Stoddart said that school standards were delivered by effective leadership and teaching and also called out the current and former Cabinet Members for Education for their mediocrity in their role.
Cllr Steve Yelland, a governor for Tasker Millward School, said that he was a firm believer in choice and although he didn’t want to lose funding he could not support the proposals.
A recorded vote was called for with 28 voting in favour and 22 voting against.
Charity
Vintage tractors take to Broad Haven beach for breast cancer fundraiser
A LINE of vintage tractors made an unusual sight on Broad Haven beach on Saturday as enthusiasts gathered for a fundraising run in aid of breast cancer research.
The event brought together a colourful collection of classic farming vehicles, with Welsh flags and pink decorations on display as supporters and spectators gathered along the seafront.
The tractors were parked on the sand before taking part in the run, helping raise awareness and funds for the cause.
Caption:
Vintage tractors lined up on Broad Haven North beach on Saturday for a fundraising run in aid of breast cancer research (Pic: Martin Cavaney).
Community
Paul Davies MS calls for review of parking charges in Ceredigion following concerns
SENEDD Member for Ceredigion Penfro, Paul Davies, has called on Ceredigion County Council to urgently review its policy on car parking charges, following growing concerns from local businesses about the negative impact charges have on trade and town centre footfall.
Mr Davies wrote to the Leader of the Council on May 18, to highlight the challenges faced by businesses across Ceredigion’s towns, where rising parking costs are seen as a deterrent to people visiting local high streets. He urged the local authority to listen carefully to the concerns being raised and to review these charges.
In his letter, Mr Davies wrote: “I’m writing to raise concerns regarding car parking charges across Ceredigion, and to urge the local authority to do all it reasonably can to minimise these costs for individuals spending time in towns throughout the county.
“This is a serious issue for local businesses, many of whom have made it clear that car parking charges risk deterring people from visiting our high streets and towns. Any resulting decline in footfall would have immediate and damaging consequences for local trade and, more broadly,for the county’s economy.
“At a time when our high streets are already facing significant challenges, | believe it’s unacceptable that additional financial barriers have been introduced. The Council should be actively supporting its high streets and town centres and encouraging people to visit, not implementing measures that make doing so more difficult and less affordable.
“The concerns raised by both residents and businesses are justified and cannot be ignored. The Council must act on these concerns and urgently review the decision to introduce or increase car parking charges, with a view to reducing their impact.”
Many locals have voiced their concerns on social media, commenting on the “outrageous” cost of parking and the cost of public toilets, claiming that Ceredigion County Council are to blame for the loss of footfall in the area.
Mr Davies said: “Car parking charges add yet another barrier to people visiting our towns and high streets and can be detrimental to local businesses, at a time when many businesses are already facing significant economic pressures.
“Our high streets are the backbone of our communities and play a vital role in the local economy. If people are put off visiting because of the cost of parking, then businesses will inevitably suffer. This is not only short-sighted but risks causing long-term damage to the vibrancy of our towns.
“The Council must act on the valid concerns being raised and review its parking policy as a matter of urgency. The focus should be on encouraging footfall, supporting local trade, and ensuring that our town centres remain accessible and affordable for everyone.”
Crime
Former Lostprophets singer’s killing ‘not justified’, jury told
JURORS in the trial of two prisoners accused of murdering former Lostprophets singer Ian Watkins have been told that his horrific crimes “did not justify his killing in any way”.
Watkins, who was serving a 29-year sentence for child sex offences, was attacked in his cell at high-security HMP Wakefield on October 11 last year.
Leeds Crown Court heard that Rico Gedel, 25, stabbed Watkins three times with a makeshift knife before allegedly passing the weapon to fellow prisoner Samuel Dodsworth, 44.
Both men deny murder and possessing a knife in prison.
‘Done nothing to provoke attack’
Prosecutor Tom Storey KC told the jury on Monday that Watkins had “done nothing whatsoever” to provoke the attack in the period leading up to it.
He said: “However heinous his crimes were, that did not justify his killing in any way.”
The court has heard that Gedel hated being housed with sex offenders and had threatened to hurt “any number of paedophiles” if he was not transferred.
Gedel told the trial he chose Watkins largely because he was nearby, having been placed in the next cell the night before.
Alleged motive
Mr Storey said Gedel’s alleged words before the attack — “This is what paedophiles deserve” — were a clear indication of motive.
The prosecutor said Watkins had no defensive injuries and there was no sign of a struggle, meaning he was likely taken by surprise.
He told jurors that the repeated use of a makeshift knife showed an intention to kill or cause really serious harm.
The court heard Gedel was laughing after the stabbing and allegedly asked prison officers to “let me know when he dies”.
Knife allegation
Dodsworth denies supplying the weapon or helping with the attack.
Gedel claimed Dodsworth gave him the knife and later disposed of it, but Mr Storey told the jury Gedel had “every reason” to lie about him.
The prosecutor said CCTV appeared to show Gedel handing the weapon to Dodsworth after the attack, and suggested Dodsworth acted as if he knew what was happening.
Judge’s warning
Mr Justice Hilliard told jurors that Watkins had committed very serious offences, but “clearly should not have lost his life in prison while serving his sentence”.
He said they must not decide the case on sympathy, anger or disapproval, but on a “cool, calm, careful and impartial” assessment of the evidence.
Watkins was jailed in December 2013 after admitting a string of child sex offences, including the attempted rape of a fan’s baby.
The trial continues.
-
News3 days agoPalestine pledge backed by 36 new Senedd Members
-
Crime5 days agoTeenager banned from roads after being caught six times over drug-drive limit
-
Community2 days agoSurfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach
-
Crime5 days agoMan threatens to torch Silverdale Lodge through ‘demon drink’, court hears
-
Crime5 days agoMan sentenced for stalking women and threatening to torch home
-
Crime5 days agoViolent man jailed after ‘Banksy’ claims and campaign of domestic abuse
-
Local Government7 days agoCouncil leadership hopeful responds after anti-Tory rally photos surface
-
Crime5 days agoMan denies exposure in Pembrokeshire town







