News
A ‘strong case’ for Britain to stay

PEMBROKEHIRE’S MPs have had their say on the EU referendum which has been announced for June 23.
Preseli Pembrokeshire MP Stephen Crabb described it as one of the, ‘key decisions of our lifetime’ and also said leaving the EU would be a, ‘leap in the dark’.
He also believes there is a ‘strong and pragmatic case’ for Britain to stay in the EU. Carmarthen West and South Pembrokeshire MP Simon Hart added that any transition will take years and said there are ‘uncertainties’ about leaving.
MP Stephen Crabb said: “The choice facing voters in Pembrokeshire and across the United Kingdom whether to leave or remain in the European Union will be one of the key decisions of our lifetime.
“I was two years old the last time people in this country had a choice on this issue. I strongly believe that the time has come for a new generation of voters to have their say too. This is exactly why as a government we are keeping our promise to hold this referendum.
“There are benefits and costs, and risks and opportunities, with either leaving the EU or staying in. I am optimistic about Britain’s long-term future whatever happens, but we would be fools not to weigh up seriously the risks involved with either outcome.
“If we vote to leave then there will need to be a very long process to negotiate the terms of our exit and whether we continue to remain in the bits of the EU system which we think are beneficial.
“It is vitally important for UK jobs that we stay in the Single Market so that we can trade freely. But it is wholly unrealistic to think that we can get access to the Single Market without also signing up to a set of binding EU rules – including the basic principle of freedom of movement for workers.
“We already have a very different kind of membership compared to most other EU member states. We are not part of the Euro single currency and we maintain our own border controls.
“The deal we struck at the European Council last Friday reforms and improves our membership further. For the very first time since we joined in 1973, the United Kingdom will now be exempted from the guiding principle of an ‘ever closer union’. This recognises that Britain will always have a special status within the EU.
“We also got a far better deal than many had predicted on the issue of migrants claiming benefits. I am relaxed about people coming to Britain if they have genuine skills and talents to offer in the workplace. I am opposed to the way the benefits system has attracted immigrants here for the wrong reasons. The deal last week helps put a stop to that.
“Those people who think that quitting the EU provides some kind of easy answer to the problems we face need to answer the question of what exactly the alternative is that they have in mind. This is where the risks and uncertainties become too great. No one really can say what so-called Brexit looks like. It is a leap in the dark.
“Therefore I believe there is a strong and pragmatic case for Britain to stay inside the EU with our reformed membership. There remain many problems with the way the EU works which we will need to keep pushing against but, on balance, a vote to remain is the right thing to do.
Simon Hart MP said: “I’ve lost count of the number of times I have rehearsed this question. Do I go with my head or my heart? The former says stay for the security of jobs and business in our area, the latter is seduced by the prospect of settling old scores with the undemocratic bureaucratic monster that Brussels has become.
“So now we can avoid the question no longer I see it like this. In west Wales we have a recovering economy, local jobs becoming more available, and vital trading links with the whole of Europe.
“We have an agricultural industry (closely aligned with tourism) in volatile conditions and dependant (whether we like it or not) on EU subsidy. We are seen by our ‘multi-national’ employers as being embedded in that enormous market, and hence worthy of ongoing investment and commitment.
“Tempting though it is to believe that the world outside the EU will be more prosperous than the one in it, I just can’t find the evidence to support that theory.
“Of course we can fight our own corner, of course we can operate in a free global market, but the question I can’t get the answer to is how instantly we will be able to achieve those aims. Transition will take years, not months, and involve uncertainties that the ‘out’ campaign seem unable to explain.
“So I ask myself this question. If my business, my job, my livelihood, my future is even remotely dependent on the relationships we have developed – and have now renegotiated to our advantage – is this a risk I’m willing to take? Can I take this step without knowing that the future is more secure than the present, even with its numerous gremlins.
“Try as I might I can’t say yes to that, so will be voting to remain.”
Crime
Former Lostprophets singer’s killing ‘not justified’, jury told
JURORS in the trial of two prisoners accused of murdering former Lostprophets singer Ian Watkins have been told that his horrific crimes “did not justify his killing in any way”.
Watkins, who was serving a 29-year sentence for child sex offences, was attacked in his cell at high-security HMP Wakefield on October 11 last year.
Leeds Crown Court heard that Rico Gedel, 25, stabbed Watkins three times with a makeshift knife before allegedly passing the weapon to fellow prisoner Samuel Dodsworth, 44.
Both men deny murder and possessing a knife in prison.
‘Done nothing to provoke attack’
Prosecutor Tom Storey KC told the jury on Monday that Watkins had “done nothing whatsoever” to provoke the attack in the period leading up to it.
He said: “However heinous his crimes were, that did not justify his killing in any way.”
The court has heard that Gedel hated being housed with sex offenders and had threatened to hurt “any number of paedophiles” if he was not transferred.
Gedel told the trial he chose Watkins largely because he was nearby, having been placed in the next cell the night before.
Alleged motive
Mr Storey said Gedel’s alleged words before the attack — “This is what paedophiles deserve” — were a clear indication of motive.
The prosecutor said Watkins had no defensive injuries and there was no sign of a struggle, meaning he was likely taken by surprise.
He told jurors that the repeated use of a makeshift knife showed an intention to kill or cause really serious harm.
The court heard Gedel was laughing after the stabbing and allegedly asked prison officers to “let me know when he dies”.
Knife allegation
Dodsworth denies supplying the weapon or helping with the attack.
Gedel claimed Dodsworth gave him the knife and later disposed of it, but Mr Storey told the jury Gedel had “every reason” to lie about him.
The prosecutor said CCTV appeared to show Gedel handing the weapon to Dodsworth after the attack, and suggested Dodsworth acted as if he knew what was happening.
Judge’s warning
Mr Justice Hilliard told jurors that Watkins had committed very serious offences, but “clearly should not have lost his life in prison while serving his sentence”.
He said they must not decide the case on sympathy, anger or disapproval, but on a “cool, calm, careful and impartial” assessment of the evidence.
Watkins was jailed in December 2013 after admitting a string of child sex offences, including the attempted rape of a fan’s baby.
The trial continues.
Community
New parents urged to claim Child Benefit sooner
HMRC says thousands of families may be missing out by delaying claims
NEW parents across Wales are being urged to claim Child Benefit as soon as possible after new figures revealed that more than 30 per cent are missing out on payments during their baby’s first year.
HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) says thousands of families are delaying claims and losing out on financial support which could amount to more than £1,400 a year for a first child.
The warning comes as more than 140,000 babies were born between April and June last year, with HMRC encouraging parents who welcomed a child this spring to make a claim using the HMRC app or online through GOV.UK.
While 6.8 million families claimed Child Benefit in the year to August 2025, only 68.8 per cent did so before their baby’s first birthday.
Child Benefit is worth £27.05 a week, or £1,406.60 a year, for an eldest or only child. Families can also receive £17.90 a week, or £930.80 a year, for each additional child, with no limit on the number of children they can claim for.
HMRC said Child Benefit can be claimed 48 hours after a baby’s birth has been registered, but payments can only be backdated for up to three months from the date the claim is received.
Myrtle Lloyd, HMRC’s Chief Customer Officer said: “Spring is a wonderful time to welcome a baby and claiming Child Benefit as soon as possible means your family can benefit from much-needed financial support.
“It is quick and easy to claim Child Benefit via the HMRC app at a time that suits you.”
Parents making a new claim will need their child’s birth or adoption certificate, bank details, their National Insurance number and, if they have one, their partner’s National Insurance number.
For children born outside the UK, parents may also need the child’s original birth or adoption certificate and passport or travel document.
HMRC says payments are usually made automatically into a bank account every four weeks.
Claiming Child Benefit can also help protect a parent’s future State Pension entitlement through National Insurance credits, particularly for those who are not in paid employment or receiving credits through another route.
It also means a child will automatically receive their National Insurance number when they turn 16.
Parents or partners earning more than £60,000 a year may have to pay the High-Income Child Benefit Charge. However, HMRC says families can still claim Child Benefit and choose not to receive the payments, while still receiving National Insurance credits.
Families who previously opted out of Child Benefit payments can restart them through the HMRC app or online.
Photo caption: Helping hand: HMRC is urging new parents to claim Child Benefit as soon as possible after welcoming a baby (Pic: HMRC).
Community
Views sought on new West Wales Learning Disability Strategy
A CONSULTATION has been launched on a new regional strategy aimed at improving support for people with learning disabilities and neurodivergent people across West Wales.
The proposed West Wales Learning Disability Strategy 2026-2031 covers Pembrokeshire, Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion, and has been developed following two years of engagement with people with learning disabilities, neurodivergent people, families, carers, councils, health services and support organisations.
It would replace three separate but similar local strategies with one regional plan, supported by local action plans for each county.
The strategy has been reviewed by the Regional Improving Lives Partnership, which includes Pembrokeshire County Council, Carmarthenshire County Council, Ceredigion County Council, Hywel Dda University Health Board, Dream Team, Carmarthenshire People First, Pembrokeshire People First, the West Wales Regional Partnership, and projects funded through the Regional Integration Fund.
The plan is informed by the West Wales Population Needs Assessment and focuses on ten priority areas identified during engagement.
These include information, advice and assistance, social services, health services, education, children and young people, socialising and friendships, day opportunities, volunteering and work, housing, transport, advocacy, and support for carers.
Pembrokeshire County Council is now asking residents, service users, families, carers and organisations to give their views on the recommendations.
The consultation is open until Sunday (Jul 5).
People can take part online through the West Wales Regional Partnership Board website, on the West Wales Learning Disability Partnership page.
Anyone who would like a paper copy can contact [email protected] or call 01437 764551.
-
News3 days agoPalestine pledge backed by 36 new Senedd Members
-
Crime5 days agoTeenager banned from roads after being caught six times over drug-drive limit
-
Community2 days agoSurfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach
-
Crime5 days agoMan threatens to torch Silverdale Lodge through ‘demon drink’, court hears
-
Crime5 days agoMan sentenced for stalking women and threatening to torch home
-
Crime5 days agoViolent man jailed after ‘Banksy’ claims and campaign of domestic abuse
-
Local Government7 days agoCouncil leadership hopeful responds after anti-Tory rally photos surface
-
Crime5 days agoMan denies exposure in Pembrokeshire town









chizy
March 11, 2016 at 12:19 pm
“It’s time to play the music
It’s time to light the lights
It’s time to meet the Muppets on the Muppet Show tonight”
Can’t even begin to wonder why, but that just popped into my head…………