News
Residents furious at wind turbine ruling
A JUDICIAL REVIEW challenge against a decision by Pembrokeshire County Council’s planning committee to grant permission for two wind turbines to be built at Princes Gate has been lost by campaigners.
Objectors mounted the legal challenge last year on two grounds.
They claimed that the officer’s report to the committee was flawed as it did not find the proposal contrary to the Local Development Plan. They also claimed that the Environmental Impact Assessment Screening Opinion was defective.
However, at the High Court in Cardiff last week, Judge Hickinbottom backed the Council’s handling of the application. Dismissing the first ground Judge Hickinbottom noted that in assessing the potential impact on the historic environment, the Committee report had been prepared with “patent care” and that it weighed and balanced the competing policies within the Plan.
He also dismissed the second ground.
In refusing the claim, the Judge made an order of costs in favour of the Council and refused the claimants leave to appeal. Princes Gate Spring Water applied for permission to build two 800kw wind turbines at Middleton Top near Ludchurch.
The Planning Committee agreed to the development in May last year on the basis that the benefits in terms of the contribution to the generation of renewable energy outweighed any adverse impacts. Local residents now say they are devastated to lose their long and costly battle. They say that homes only 400m from the site will have direct views of the turbines from their living rooms, bedrooms and amenity areas.
One campaigner told The Herald: “Residents” amenity is so severely compromised that at least one house will have wind turbines from this and other sites in view from every window and every aspect of the house and garden.”
“The turbines will dominate residents’ lives. Residents had previously supported Princes Gate Spring Water and their investment in renewable energy and requested that they locate their turbines on ground they own, adjacent to their water bottling plant.”
“The only response from the planners was to pretend that residents wanted the turbines in the factory car park.”
Dave and Isabel Scourfield, of the Belle Vue Equestrian Centre, say they are devastated. They have already seen their specialist equestrian insurance withdrawn when the insurers saw how close the turbines would be to their horses. They have tried to habituate their highly strung competition horses to wind turbines but failed, leaving their horses disturbed and frightened and their riders in danger. Horses from this small centre have previously enjoyed national and international success. As the turbines will overlook their entire holding, and are located only 200m from fields in which they break in and train them, their business is now in jeopardy.
Local campaigner Mary Sinclair said: “The developers themselves highlighted the extent of the shadow impact from the blades on Belle Vue fields and explained the special problems that moving shadows on the ground cause to horses. Yet the Planning Authority has set no condition to protect the Centre, nor was any background noise monitoring undertaken there, nor at any other home directly affected by the development.”
She added: “Councillor Tony Brinsden, when addressing the planning committee told councillors bluntly, before the Council’s Legal Officer ordered him to stop, that he ‘did not think it was the job of Pembrokeshire County Council planning department to wipe out people’s businesses’. But apparently, if in doing so it promotes someone else’s business, it is.”
Business
Mayor opens new Sapphire showroom in Milford Haven
New Charles Street base brings windows and doors firm closer to Pembrokeshire customers
THE MAYOR OF MILFORD HAVEN has officially opened a new showroom for Sapphire Windows & Doors in the town centre.
The company welcomed visitors to its new base at 61 Charles Street on Monday (May 18), with Mayor Mark Woodward attending the opening.
Sapphire Windows & Doors, established in 1989, supplies and installs windows, doors and glazing products across South and West Wales.
The new Milford Haven showroom has been opened following growing demand from customers in Pembrokeshire, many of whom had previously travelled to the company’s Ammanford showroom.
The Charles Street premises will allow customers to view products in person, compare colours and finishes, try different styles, and speak directly with the Sapphire team.
Products on display include uPVC windows, composite and aluminium entrance doors, aluminium sliding and bifold systems, and internal and external Crittall-style aluminium and steel doors.
Shaun Matthews, Director of Sapphire Windows & Doors said: “We are incredibly excited to open our new Milford Haven showroom and welcome both returning and new customers through the doors.
“We have already received such a lovely welcome on Charles Street, and we are looking forward to becoming part of the local community.
“When people are investing in new windows and doors, it is important they feel confident in what they are choosing. The showroom gives customers the opportunity to properly see the products, explore the options available, try them for themselves and receive clear, honest advice from our team.”
The company manufactures its own uPVC products in-house at its factory in Ammanford, while installations are carried out by directly employed fitting teams.
Sapphire says it offers free, no-obligation quotes and takes a no-pressure approach to sales.
Every installation is backed by a ten-year guarantee and a FENSA insurance-backed warranty.
The new showroom is now open at 61 Charles Street, Milford Haven, SA73 1SA.
For more information visit sapphirewindows.info.
Community
Cardigan family’s urgent appeal after father suffers devastating stroke
Former pilot left unable to speak or swallow after collapsing while mowing lawn
A CARDIGAN family has launched an urgent appeal for help after a 72-year-old father suffered a massive stroke while mowing his garden, leaving him unable to speak, swallow or move the right side of his body.
Les Bell collapsed on Monday, May 11, after suffering what doctors described as an intracerebral haemorrhage (ICH) – a serious form of haemorrhagic stroke caused by bleeding in the brain.
His daughter, Jessica Grieve, said the bleed was extensive and that her father remains in a critical condition on an acute stroke ward.
The former pilot, who now works as a flight training consultant at Gatwick Airport, is currently being fed through a tube and can only communicate through eye contact, small nods and grunts.
Jessica said: “Dad has lost the right-hand side of his body, has to be tube fed as he’s not conscious enough to perform a swallow test, although it would seem the muscles on the right side of his throat aren’t working.
“He can’t talk. He can only communicate with brief eye contact, small nods and grunts.”
She added that doctors are still unable to predict her father’s long-term prognosis.
“We don’t know the prognosis, only time will tell, but he is in a critical condition and it’s likely to remain that way for some months,” she said.
The family is now facing a financial crisis after Les, who was the main income earner, became suddenly incapacitated.
Jessica said her father managed all household finances, while her mother is unable to work due to disabilities and her brother, Jake, is still suffering the effects of cancer treatment and cannot work full-time.
She is now applying for lasting power of attorney in order to access her father’s bank accounts, but said the process could take up to ten weeks.
In the meantime, the family say they are struggling to pay rent, bills and other essential costs.
Jessica has launched a GoFundMe appeal to support the family during the coming months.
She said: “I’m asking for donations of any kind to help them pay for the urgent bills while we’re waiting for other benefits and LPA to begin.
“If we can get them through the next couple of months we’d be so, so grateful.”
Anyone wishing can visit the GoFundMe page here: Help for the Family of Les Bell.
Photo caption:
Family by his side: Les Bell in hospital after suffering a devastating stroke while mowing the garden (Pic: GoFundMe).
Crime
Police probe ball bearing damage in Haverfordwest
POLICE are investigating reports of criminal damage in Haverfordwest after suspected metal ball bearings were used to damage a vehicle and a property.
Dyfed-Powys Police said damage was caused to the wing mirror of a blue Range Rover Evoque on Glenfields Road sometime between 11:10am and 11:20am on Sunday, May 10.
Officers believe metal ball bearings may have been used.
A second incident was reported at around 2:30pm on Tuesday, May 12, when the window of a property on Glenfields Road was allegedly struck by a suspected metal ball bearing.
Police said local officers are continuing to speak with residents after receiving a number of calls about ball bearings being found in the Glenfields Road and Old Hakin Road areas.
Anyone who witnessed anything, or who has information that could help the investigation, is asked to contact Dyfed-Powys Police online, by emailing [email protected], or by calling 101.
Information can also be given anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or via crimestoppers-uk.org.
Quote reference: 26*375605.
-
News4 days agoPalestine pledge backed by 36 new Senedd Members
-
Community3 days agoSurfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach
-
Crime6 days agoTeenager banned from roads after being caught six times over drug-drive limit
-
Crime6 days agoMan threatens to torch Silverdale Lodge through ‘demon drink’, court hears
-
Crime6 days agoMan sentenced for stalking women and threatening to torch home
-
Crime6 days agoViolent man jailed after ‘Banksy’ claims and campaign of domestic abuse
-
Crime6 days agoMan denies exposure in Pembrokeshire town
-
Crime6 days agoDrunk motorist arrested at Pembrokeshire petrol station








