Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

‘Breaking Into News’ final place for Rosalyn

Published

on

breaking newsROSALYN WILD 18, from Milford Haven, Pembrokeshire has been selected as one of nine finalists in this year’s Breaking Into News, an initiative run in partnership by ITV News and Media Trust to discover new talent and give opportunities to the broadcast journalists of the future.

The initiative, now in its third year, offers 18-25 year olds the chance to be mentored by experienced broadcast journalists from the ITV News network newsroom in writing, reporting and production skills. This year Breaking Into News was specifically designed to encourage diversity in broadcast journalism and to support young people from across the country who wouldn’t normally have this kind of opportunity.

Rosalyn has been matched to Emily mGadd, a journalist at ITV Wales, who will work closely with her and mentor her as she develops her idea. Next month, Rosalyn and the eight other finalists will present their news reports to a judging panel including executives from ITVNews and Media Trust. The winner will be presented with an iPad and be given the opportunity to spend the day with the team producing the ITV News at Ten. They could also see their report included on an ITV News platform.

To enter Breaking Into News Rosalyn submitted a short description of herself and her background, what she wanted her report to focus on and why she deserves the opportunity to ‘break into news’.

Breaking Into News finalist from ITV Wales, Rosalyn said: “Being selected as a finalist for Breaking Into News is amazing – it means so much. I am planning to produce a report on benefits for young people highlighting the effects on the cuts. It’s fantastic to have this opportunity to work with top ITV News journalists and learn from her experience and expertise, I can’t wait to get started and see how it turns out.”

Robin Elias, Managing Editor of ITV News, said: “We’re delighted to be working with Media Trust for the third year running, seeking out bright television journalists of the future and giving them a platform where their voices can be heard. The nine finalists have already shown a great deal of raw talent and creative flair and I look forward to seeing their final news reports.”

Katie Lloyd, Deputy Chief Executive at Media Trust, said: “The nine finalists each have unique and exciting ideas and it’s fantastic to have some of ITV News’ most esteemed journalists volunteering as mentors to provide their industry insight and expertise. Media is a powerful tool that can be used to encourage and inspire and this initiative enables young people to get their voices heard.”

 

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

Hakin man spared jail after sexually assaulting teenage girl

Published

on

16-month sentence suspended as court imposes sex offender registration and ten-year prevention order

MAN in his sixties has been handed a suspended prison sentence after being convicted of sexually assaulting a teenage girl.

Huw Bridges, aged 65, of Haven Drive, Hakin, appeared at Swansea Crown Court today (Friday, Feb 20) for sentencing following a trial last month.

Bridges had denied two counts of sexual assault but was found guilty by a jury after around two-and-a-half hours of deliberations.

He was sentenced to sixteen months’ imprisonment, suspended for two years. The court also imposed 180 hours of unpaid work and a rehabilitation activity requirement of 25 days.

Bridges was ordered to sign the sex offenders’ register for ten years and made subject to a Sexual Harm Prevention Order lasting ten years.

The offences related to incidents involving a teenage girl who was aged 16 at the time.

During the trial, prosecutor Hannah George told the jury that one incident took place on June 2, 2024, when the complainant was taken by Bridges on his motorbike to a secluded area near Carew Castle.

The pair went for a walk, during which Bridges kissed the teenager despite her trying to move away and telling him she felt uncomfortable. He then went on to touch her breasts and vagina over her clothing.

The jury was told the teenager reported the incident to her parents almost immediately after returning home. At that point she also disclosed an earlier allegation dating from between October 2020 and October 2021, in which Bridges was accused of touching her vagina over her clothing on another occasion.

“The prosecution’s case is that the defendant had a sexual interest in teenage girls,” Ms George told the jury.

Bridges was arrested on June 14, 2024, and later interviewed by police. In a prepared statement he denied sexually assaulting the complainant.

He accepted there had been physical contact but claimed he had only put his arm around the teenager and “pecked her on the cheek” in an attempt to comfort her, insisting the gesture was not sexual in nature.

After the jury returned guilty verdicts on both counts, Judge Geraint Walters adjourned the case for a pre-sentence report before imposing sentence today.

 

Continue Reading

Community

Celebrating remarkable people – the National Eisteddfod invites nominations

Published

on

THE NATIONAL EISTEDDFOD is inviting nominations for some of the festival’s most prestigious honours. Nominations are open until 1 April for the Sir TH Parry-Williams Medal, the R Alun Medal and the Science and Technology Medal.

A fund was established in 1975 to commemorate Syr TH Parry Williams’ contribution to Eisteddfod activities. This year marks fifty years since the medal was first presented to honour individuals who have carried out outstanding work in their community. This year’s award is given by Menter Iaith Sir Benfro for voluntary work to support young people in Wales.

Encouraging people to nominate outstanding individuals who have contributed to their community, Betsan Moses, the Eisteddfod’s Chief Executive, said: “The closing date for some of our most prestigious awards is fast approaching. I know that there are many in Wales who fully deserve the honour.

“This year is an important one as we celebrate fifty years since the Syr TH Parry-Williams Medal was awarded for the first time, in memory of someone who did so much during his life for the language, our culture and the Eisteddfod. We’re grateful to Menter Iaith Sir Benfro for donating the medal this year and encourage people to nominate.”

The R Alun Medal was first awarded last year at the Wrexham Eisteddfod in memory of the late R Alun Evans who was a key figure in developing the festival. The medal is presented to a person who has made a real contribution to supporting, sustaining and enriching the culture of their local area. The 2026 medal will be presented in memory of Martyn and Meryl Lloyd.

The Science and Technology Medal is given in memory of Dr Glyn O Phillips for the first time this year, he was the first winner of the medal and a pioneer in his field. For over twenty years, the medal has recognised the contribution of individuals who have made an impression in the field of science and technology through the medium of Welsh.

The Eisteddfod hopes that nominations will come from across Wales again this year to celebrate those people who have made a real difference in their communities and had an impact in their fields.

 

Continue Reading

News

Rainforest habitat returns to Pembrokeshire in major restoration project

Published

on

A RARE Welsh habitat that once covered much of Britain’s west coast is set to make a comeback in Pembrokeshire, as work begins to restore temperate rainforest at a wildlife site in North Pembrokeshire.

The project is taking place at Trellwyn Fach, a 146-acre reserve managed by The Wildlife Trust of South and West Wales, as part of a UK-wide rainforest recovery programme led by The Wildlife Trusts in partnership with Aviva. Temperate rainforests — characterised by moss-covered trees, lichens and humid conditions — now cover less than one per cent of the UK.

The long-term initiative aims to restore and reconnect remaining fragments of rainforest habitat across the British Isles over the next 100 years.

Adam Dawson, Senior Conservation Officer with The Wildlife Trust of South and West Wales, said early work on the site may appear disruptive but would quickly settle.

“During the initial site preparation and planting it can look a bit messy with diggers and vehicles on site, but after a few months the peace will return and over the years a wonderful moss-felted forest will emerge, just like it had always been there,” he said.

forest, Nature reserve, rainforest, spring, UK, Wildlife Trust, Woodland

First trees planted

The first trees have now been planted at Trellwyn Fach, marking the start of efforts to restore broadleaved woodland across around two-thirds of the site.

By the spring, approximately 50,000 native trees are expected to be planted. The aim is to create a nationally important habitat linking existing woodland in the Gwaun Valley, forming a larger and more connected landscape for wildlife.

Heavy machinery is currently on site constructing a new access track, which will allow visitors to explore the reserve once it opens to the public later this year. The Trust also plans a programme of community events linked to woodland restoration.

Research partnership

Part of the site is being used for research in partnership with Bangor University, focusing on how to accelerate rainforest regeneration, particularly in areas dominated by bracken.

Scientists are also studying how much carbon temperate rainforest can store, both in soils and tree canopies, to better understand its potential contribution to climate change mitigation.

Environmental benefits

Once established, the restored woodland is expected to capture significant amounts of carbon, help regulate water flow in local catchments — reducing both flood and drought risk — and provide habitat for a wide range of species, including the elusive pine marten.

Mr Dawson added: “Now we’ve started, it’s exciting to imagine what Trellwyn Fach will look like in ten, fifty and one hundred years’ time, as a rainforest thriving with life for people and wildlife to benefit from.”

The project has been made possible through a £38 million donation from Aviva to The Wildlife Trusts to support rainforest recovery across the UK.

The Wildlife Trust of South and West Wales is the largest wildlife conservation charity operating exclusively in South and West Wales, working to protect habitats and help people better understand and enjoy the natural environment.

 

Continue Reading

News2 hours ago

Council tax to rise again as Pembrokeshire sets new budget

Schools and social care receive extra funding in 2026–27 spending plans PEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL has approved its budget for the...

Health3 hours ago

Stroke patients to be transferred to Carmarthen under new health plan

Withybush to provide initial treatment before specialist care elsewhere PEMBROKESHIRE patients who suffer a stroke are set to be transferred...

Health22 hours ago

Health board confirms major hospital changes across west Wales

Emergency surgery centralised as Withybush role shifts toward planned care MAJOR changes to hospital services across west Wales have been...

Health1 day ago

Withybush loses emergency surgery in shock health board decision

Paul Davies vows Senedd fight as fears grow over travel times and patient safety PEMBROKESHIRE patients will be forced to...

Business1 day ago

Mounting complaints: More Computer Solutions Wales customers claim losses

Business owner issues legal threats and IPSO complaint to this newspaper while refusing to answer detailed questions about customers who...

Local Government1 day ago

Milford Haven Hakin by-election candidates confirmed

THE LIST of candidates standing in the upcoming Pembrokeshire County Council by-election for the Milford Haven: Hakin ward has been...

Crime3 days ago

Telecom vandal admits causing £33,000 damage to Pembroke Dock network

Fibre cables cut in early-morning incident that triggered major service disruption A PEMBROKE DOCK man has admitted causing more than...

Community3 days ago

Smiles all round for Pancake Day celebrations in Tenby

TENBY was filled with laughter, cheers and the smell of freshly cooked pancakes on Tuesday (Feb 17) as the town’s...

Crime3 days ago

Man charged with GBH with intent following incident involving ‘Pembrokeshire Patriot’

Defendant remanded in custody as case linked to police raids on Friday A MAN has been charged with causing grievous...

Business4 days ago

Svitzer crews at Milford Haven vote for industrial action in pay dispute

Union ballot raises concerns over potential disruption at key UK energy port SVITZER crews working in the Port of Milford...

Popular This Week