News
Give your litter a lift home
GIVE YOUR LITTER a lift home – that’s the message to takeaway and fast-food customers in Carmarthenshire.
A number of restaurants and takeaways in the county have joined forces with the council to launch a new campaign to combat litter.
Signs and posters asking customers to put their rubbish in the bin have been put up and litter-picks are being carried out with the help of the local community at rubbish hot-spots.
Those taking part include McDonald’s in Llanelli, Cross Hands and Carmarthen and Roadchef in Pont Abraham.
Operations manager at Roadchef Judith Beckett said the signs and posters were already making a big difference.
“Since the signs have gone up we have seen a reduction in the amount of litter and an increase in the use of our bins,” she said. “In fact we have had to install more bins and empty them more regularly.”
Figures show that confectionery-type litter and drink-related litter were found on 45.6% and 43.2% of Carmarthenshire streets last year, with fast-food litter on 25.6% of our streets.
And in Wales in general the number of polystyrene cartons and fast-food cups found littered were up on the previous year.
Executive Board Member for the Environment Cllr Hazel Evans said: “There is no excuse for dropping litter on our streets, if there are no bins nearby, then please take your rubbish home with you to dispose of.
“Litter can cause harm to animals and wildlife, it spoils the appearance of an area and it can attract vermin. Hopefully this campaign will encourage people to do the right thing.
“I would like to thank all the takeaway premises and fast-food restaurants for working with us to help clean up Carmarthenshire.”
As well as raising awareness, council environmental enforcement officers will also be increasing patrols and anyone caught dropping litter could be issued with an on-the-spot fine of £75.
Executive Board Member for Public Protection Cllr Philip Hughes said: “We do not want to fine people, we want people to be responsible and put their litter in the bin. However, if people break the law by throwing it out of their car window or because they are just too lazy to walk to a bin, then we will come after you and you will be fined. Research shows that drivers are the worst litterers because they don’t think they will be caught, but we can identify you with the help of the DVLA and we will take action.”
The maximum fine for littering is £2,500 if prosecuted in the magistrates court.
Business
Plaid energy policy challenged by Labour after Adam Price interview
LABOUR SAYS MINISTERS MUST EXPLAIN COST AND TIMETABLE FOR PYLON PLANS
PLAID CYMRU’S approach to energy infrastructure has come under scrutiny after Energy Minister Adam Price was challenged over plans to reduce the use of overhead pylons in Wales.
Mr Price defended the Welsh Government’s position during an appearance on BBC Radio Wales’ Sunday Supplement, arguing that communities must have greater confidence in how major grid projects are handled.
Plaid Cymru has pledged to give communities a stronger voice over energy developments and to look more closely at alternatives to overhead transmission lines, including underground cabling where possible.
The issue has become increasingly sensitive in rural parts of Wales, where proposed pylon routes linked to renewable energy schemes have raised concerns about landscape impact, tourism and local consultation.
However, Welsh Labour said the minister had failed to explain when any restriction on pylons would take effect, or who would pay the additional cost of placing cables underground.
A Welsh Labour spokesperson said: “Adam Price keeps saying how clear their manifesto was and yet he won’t say when they’re banning pylons. They won’t say who is paying for the extra cost of undergrounding cables.
“Without certainty, companies won’t invest. That’s thousands of clean, green energy jobs at risk. Plaid need more than a plan to have a plan.”
Labour said the Welsh Government must now set out how its policy would work in practice, including whether it amounts to an outright ban, what exemptions would apply, and how any extra costs would be funded.
The debate highlights the challenge facing ministers as Wales seeks to expand renewable energy generation while addressing public opposition to large-scale grid infrastructure.
Community
Pembroke Fair praised as well-organised community event
HORSES, STALLS AND FAMILY CROWDS RETURN TO MONKTON
FAMILIES, horse owners and visitors turned out in force for Pembroke Fair on Saturday (May 23), with many praising the event as one of the best organised in recent years.
Held at the Community Centre Field in Monkton, the annual fair brought together horse owners, traders and local families for a traditional day centred around horses, ponies, stalls and socialising.
Coloured cobs, heavy horses, ponies and horse-drawn traps attracted attention throughout the day, with many visitors gathering around the field to watch the animals being shown and led around the site.



A variety of stalls selling everything from clothing and ornaments to tack and second-hand goods helped create a lively market atmosphere, while food vendors kept visitors fed throughout the day.
Despite overcast conditions at times, the event remained busy, with many attendees staying for several hours to enjoy the traditional fair atmosphere.
Community members later took to social media to praise the smooth running of the event, with several publicly thanking organiser Charlie Price for his efforts in bringing the fair together.
Comments described the day as “well organised” and praised the welcoming atmosphere, with many saying it was encouraging to see a long-standing local tradition continuing to thrive.
The fair once again brought together members of the travelling community, local residents and horse enthusiasts from across west Wales.






A horse drive was also due to take place on Sunday (May 24), continuing the weekend’s celebrations.
Photo captions:
Traditional gathering: Horses, ponies, horse-drawn carts and market stalls drew crowds to Pembroke Fair in Monkton on Saturday (Pic: Herald).
News
Watchdog criticises health board over £10m GP contract checks
A HEALTH board has been criticised by Audit Wales after GP contracts worth more than £10m were awarded without sufficient due diligence checks.
Aneurin Bevan University Health Board allowed a GP partnership associated with eHarley Street Primary Care Solutions to take on eight GP contracts in south-east Wales, with a combined annual value of around £10.1m.
Audit Wales said the board should have carried out greater scrutiny before approving the arrangements, including checks on financial resilience, workforce plans, business risks and the partnership’s ability to manage several practices at once.
However, the watchdog found no evidence of fraud and noted the board was dealing with significant pressure in general practice, including vacant contracts and limited interest from other bidders.
The report said weaknesses in governance and scrutiny contributed to later disruption and uncertainty for patients and staff when problems emerged.
Concerns included financial and workforce pressures, unpaid invoices, and issues relating to tax and pension payments. Some contracts were later handed back, requiring the health board to step in to protect services.
Natasha Asghar MS, Welsh Conservative Shadow Cabinet Minister for Health and Social Care, said the findings were “deeply concerning”.
She said: “Patients and staff were left facing disruption and uncertainty because proper scrutiny was not carried out before these contracts were awarded.
“The Welsh Conservatives believe lessons must be learned to ensure robust checks are in place, protect frontline services and restore confidence in primary care across Wales.”
Aneurin Bevan University Health Board accepted the recommendations and said it had already strengthened its processes.
Audit Wales said the case highlighted the need for stronger checks before GP contracts are transferred, particularly when a single partnership is taking on multiple practices in a short period.
-
News2 days agoWatchdog criticises health board over £10m GP contract checks
-
Crime4 days agoFarm owner in court after 26 dogs removed over welfare concerns
-
News3 days agoPaul Davies meets Openreach Cymru at the Senedd to discuss Full Fibre rollout
-
Crime4 days agoTree surgeon sentenced for failing to provide breath test
-
Crime4 days agoPembrokeshire teenager admits driving almost four times over drug-drive limit
-
News4 days agoMilford man admits handling stolen goods from three local properties
-
Crime6 days agoBuilder jailed for £82,000 fraud affecting 18 victims
-
Crime3 days agoMilford Haven man admits affray after alleged pub incident






