News
‘Bubble’ arrangements and self-isolation in local schools
PEMBROKESHIRE’S schools are working hard to reduce the chances of Covid-19 spreading, the County Council has stressed.
To date there have been three confirmed cases of coronavirus in two of the county’s schools.
In order to restrict the number of contacts, pupils are being kept with their own year groups and/or classes to form a ‘bubble’ which will be kept apart from other ‘bubbles’.
Maintaining distinct groups or bubbles that do not mix makes it quicker and easier in the event of a positive case to identify those who are close contacts and may need to self-isolate and keep that number as small as possible.
In the event of a positive test being confirmed, those who have had close contact with the case are required to self-isolate in line with national guidance, for 14 days after their last known contact with the positive case.
This could involve the whole bubble and is to prevent further transmission of the virus, ensuring that if pupils (or staff) are carrying the virus (even without symptoms), they do not come into contact with others and potentially spread the virus further.
Director for Education Steven Richards-Downes said, “It is important that we all play our part in reducing the spread of the virus, in terms of the number of contacts we all have the lower we keep them the less likely the virus is to spread.
“As we come closer to half-term we need to think carefully about the messages provided to us about hands, face, and space and ensure that we do all we can to enable schools to be able to function effectively after half term.”
The Council’s Cabinet Member for Education and Lifelong Learning, Guy Woodham, added, “While everyone has made a great effort so far, we are now at a stage – although numbers thankfully remain low – of there being a real risk of more cases arising if we do not all rigorously follow advice on social distancing and keeping our contact with others to a minimum.
“I do not underestimate the challenge, but it is all our responsibility to try and keep the number of new cases as low as possible by following the appropriate guidance and being sensible in the things that we do over the coming weeks and months.”
Crime
Stolen vehicle investigation after late-night crash in Waterston
A VEHICLE involved in a late-night single-vehicle crash in Waterston, Milford Haven, is believed to have been stolen, police have confirmed.
Dyfed-Powys Police said officers received a report of the collision at around 11:55pm on Sunday (May 17).
The vehicle was recovered at approximately 1:15am on Monday (May 18), but nobody was found at the scene.
Following enquiries, police established that the vehicle had reportedly been stolen at some point during Sunday evening.
Officers said enquiries into the incident are ongoing.
News
Labour names Senedd spokesperson team after election defeat
Ken Skates says group will focus on holding new Welsh Government to account
INTERIM Welsh Labour leader Ken Skates has unveiled the party’s Senedd spokesperson team following its defeat in the recent election.
Mr Skates will act as interim leader of Welsh Labour and spokesperson for health, care and national security.
He said the Labour group would draw on “extensive experience” while bringing “fresh energy and ideas” to its work in opposition.
The party said its Senedd group was committed to holding the new Welsh Government to account and pushing for practical results for the people of Wales.
Jayne Bryant MS has been appointed spokesperson for housing, communities, public and preventative health, with women’s health also included in her brief.
Mike Hedges MS will cover culture, sport, local government and legislation.
Vikki Howells MS becomes Chief Whip and spokesperson for environment, farming, energy and transport. Her portfolio also includes planning.
Lynne Neagle MS has been named Business Manager and spokesperson for children, education and lifelong learning.
Shav Taj MS will cover employment, equalities and economic transformation, including social partnership.
Huw Thomas MS has been appointed spokesperson for finance, democracy, citizenship and the Welsh language. Regional and city deals will also fall within his brief.
Welsh Labour said Sarah Murphy’s portfolio will be announced when she returns from maternity leave.
A photo call with the Welsh Labour Senedd Group is due to take place in Cardiff Bay on Tuesday (May 19), although no interviews will be available.
News
Welsh Secretary holds first call with new First Minister
Jo Stevens and Rhun ap Iorwerth discuss poverty, public services, clean energy, steelmaking and economic growth
WELSH Secretary Jo Stevens has held her first call with Wales’ new First Minister Rhun ap Iorwerth following the recent Senedd election.
The call took place today, Monday (May 18), with Ms Stevens congratulating Mr ap Iorwerth on Plaid Cymru’s election results and his appointment as First Minister.
The Welsh Secretary said it was important for the UK and Welsh Governments to work constructively together on shared priorities.
Those issues include the cost of living, poverty, public services, economic growth and the delivery of clean energy infrastructure in Wales.
Ms Stevens also raised the importance of collaboration on Welsh steelmaking and the transition at Port Talbot, as well as growth funds, defence and national security.
The conversation follows a call last week between Prime Minister Keir Starmer and the new First Minister, during which Mr Starmer also congratulated him on his appointment.
The Prime Minister has offered to meet Mr ap Iorwerth in person in June to discuss shared issues and priorities.
-
News3 days agoPalestine pledge backed by 36 new Senedd Members
-
Crime5 days agoTeenager banned from roads after being caught six times over drug-drive limit
-
Community2 days agoSurfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach
-
Crime6 days agoMan threatens to torch Silverdale Lodge through ‘demon drink’, court hears
-
Crime5 days agoMan sentenced for stalking women and threatening to torch home
-
Crime5 days agoViolent man jailed after ‘Banksy’ claims and campaign of domestic abuse
-
Crime6 days agoMan denies exposure in Pembrokeshire town
-
Crime5 days agoDrunk motorist arrested at Pembrokeshire petrol station






